A Scholar's Education (Guide)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Education (Guide)
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 99 100 101
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-07-12 10:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

the one time i dont mind getting samurai roll!
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-07-27 11:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Good Afternoon. For context Ongo v15. BRD COR GEO SCH BLM RUN.

Scholar helix burst

ItemSet 356009

- pants aug: 12int 28macc 34mab 10mbd
- rod rank3
- body rank2

How do we think will fare? Improvements? It's exactly 40mbd.
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2021-07-27 11:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Helix automatically get the benefit of weather effects. Don't need the Hachirin-no-Obi. Looks like a solid set.
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-27 11:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »

Scholar helix burst

ItemSet 356009

- rod rank3
- body rank2

Should probably be fine, for reference this is what I've been using and haven't really had issues hitting capped damage (10k/tock) on Ongo.

ItemSet 380864

Hands are R14 at the moment, but was hitting capped DMG before augmenting them. One of the advantages of the Agwu is while it may be a little less MBD+ vs the Amalric it all has the Magic Damage stat on it, which helps your helixes a lot.

Your set will probably be fine, but can always try using more Agwu if you aren't quite hitting the numbers you want.
By Chimerawizard 2021-07-27 14:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

suuhja said: »
I just went out and tested Oneiros Rope (credit to Slibby for making me fact check this,) and it seems like it's 20 occult rather than 2, quite a bit better than people have been giving it credit for.
I for one had no idea. As the occult acumen page on BG had perdition slops listed as 30% & the rope at 2%, I assumed that meant the rope was only +2 instead of +20.

Edited item & Trait pages with relevant change and removed all the %s since that was likely the initial source of confusion.

Cerberus.Dekar said: »
Helix automatically get the benefit of weather effects. Don't need the Hachirin-no-Obi. Looks like a solid set.
some solid helix belts: Orpheus's sash, Skrymir cord +1, acuity belt +1, & sacro cord.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-07-27 14:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Boposhopo said: »

Scholar helix burst

ItemSet 356009

- rod rank3
- body rank2

Should probably be fine, for reference this is what I've been using and haven't really had issues hitting capped damage (10k/tock) on Ongo.

ItemSet 380864

Hands are R14 at the moment, but was hitting capped DMG before augmenting them. One of the advantages of the Agwu is while it may be a little less MBD+ vs the Amalric it all has the Magic Damage stat on it, which helps your helixes a lot.

Your set will probably be fine, but can always try using more Agwu if you aren't quite hitting the numbers you want.

So you think I have too much offense as opposed to more macc right? I want to make sure I can hit the 10k.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-27 14:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Boposhopo said: »

Scholar helix burst

ItemSet 356009

- rod rank3
- body rank2

ItemSet 380864

So you think I have too much offense as opposed to more macc right? I want to make sure I can hit the 10k.

It's not necessarily that you have less magic accuracy, it's more referring directly the the stat "Magic Damage". All piece of Agwu have "Magic Damage" on them. This stat effects spells with lower base damage (Low level nukes and Helix spells) more than it effects spells with higher based damage (High tier nukes such as Stone V and VI).

So you can test that set you have an see how it does, but if it isn't providing enough power you may want to try the Agwu gear which has higher Magic Damage while still having good MAB and MBD

--Edit-- Not saying the set listed won't hit capped damage, cause it probably will, just providing an alternative.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-07-27 18:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

suggested mobs for sch to solo test helix gearsets on? (i use a reive atm)
By dontclickme 2021-07-27 18:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 378229

This is what I'm currently using. Been giving me good results so far.

I imagine augmented Agwu will replace Amalric.
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-02 14:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I will ask this and hope for an honest answer:

Between JSE Neck +2 and JSE Neck +1 is there a huge difference during MB / Helix / Free Nukes ?

Wondering because its way out of my league to get +2 for all jobs I play hence the question of cheapening my overall cost
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-02 15:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Also another question I had is there a spreadsheet for magical damage ?

Been wondering how to better my SCH up along with a few other magical jobs
 Bismarck.Xagashi
Server: Bismarck
user: Xagashi
By Bismarck.Xagashi 2021-08-02 19:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kuroganashi said: »

Between JSE Neck +2 and JSE Neck +1 is there a huge difference during MB / Helix / Free Nukes ?

Wondering because its way out of my league to get +2 for all jobs I play hence the question of cheapening my overall cost

Outside of the damage and magic accuracy, it's a matter of the 10% Magic Burst Damage vs 7%. SCH used to have to make some trade offs when attempting to get to the 40% MBD cap. With the new Agwu's gear having 40% built in, it's more a matter of mix and match what you need to hit the 40%MBD and start adding in MBDII.
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-02 21:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xagashi said: »
Asura.Kuroganashi said: »

Outside of the damage and magic accuracy, it's a matter of the 10% Magic Burst Damage vs 7%. SCH used to have to make some trade offs when attempting to get to the 40% MBD cap. With the new Agwu's gear having 40% built in, it's more a matter of mix and match what you need to hit the 40%MBD and start adding in MBDII.

Agwu is out of my reach at the current moment.
Been using this:
Nukes:
ItemSet 381283
ItemSet 381284
ItemSet 381285

MB:
ItemSet 381287

Helix
ItemSet 381288
ItemSet 381289
ItemSet 381290
By SimonSes 2021-08-03 03:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between +1 and +2 neck is perfectly visible in stats. If you dont use bis equip you need to evaluate the impact of that difference to your sets by yourself.
[+]
By Asura.Kuroganashi 2021-08-03 06:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
The difference between +1 and +2 neck is perfectly visible in stats. If you dont use bis equip you need to evaluate the impact of that difference to your sets by yourself.

That is what I feared, so guess saving up for a +2 neck here too.

Thank you so much for the information.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [30 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2021-09-02 18:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all,

So with access to Bunzi's Rod & Mpaca's staff, is an Akademos completely obsolete now? Reading through previous pages, it doesn't look like anyone with AT3 access uses it anymore.
By Oragel 2021-09-02 19:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I’m fairly new to sch so take what I say with a grain of salt, but looking at the three options, my guess is that it will boil down to what you need for a specific situation. I really only see the odyssey options having more m.acc and m.dmg akademos seems to offer more int and m.att. Does magic burst +2 on mpaca wash out with the 2% day/weather boost on akademos?
 Bahamut.Butmunch
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Butmunch 2021-09-03 21:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

bunzi's rod with sub omen shield is best dmg for sch if you have a brd for MP if not then most likely akademos
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Deltafoxz
Server: Siren
user: aashafox
By Siren.Deltafoxz 2021-10-12 15:58:05
Link | Quote | Reply

main="Bunzi's Rod",
sub="Ammurapi Shield",
ammo="Ghastly Tathlum +1",
head={ name="Peda. M.Board +3", augments={'Enh. "Altruism" and "Focalization"',}},
body={ name="Amalric Doublet +1", augments={'MP+80','Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20',}},
hands={ name="Amalric Gages +1", augments={'INT+12','Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20',}},
legs={ name="Amalric Slops +1", augments={'MP+80','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+25','Enmity-6',}},
feet={ name="Amalric Nails +1", augments={'Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20','"Conserve MP"+7',}},
neck={ name="Argute Stole +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Eschan Stone",
left_ear="Regal Earring",
right_ear="Malignance Earring",
left_ring="Shiva Ring +1",
right_ring="Freke Ring",
back={ name="Lugh's Cape", augments={'INT+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','INT+10','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+10',}},

Been trying to hit 10K Geohelix II, but on most Apex mob's I've been testing I've only been hitting ~5500. Agwu set is out of my reach atm, but any suggestions to hit that 10K mark?
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-10-12 17:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Deltafoxz said: »
main="Bunzi's Rod",
sub="Ammurapi Shield",
ammo="Ghastly Tathlum +1",
head={ name="Peda. M.Board +3", augments={'Enh. "Altruism" and "Focalization"',}},
body={ name="Amalric Doublet +1", augments={'MP+80','Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20',}},
hands={ name="Amalric Gages +1", augments={'INT+12','Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20',}},
legs={ name="Amalric Slops +1", augments={'MP+80','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+25','Enmity-6',}},
feet={ name="Amalric Nails +1", augments={'Mag. Acc.+20','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+20','"Conserve MP"+7',}},
neck={ name="Argute Stole +2", augments={'Path: A',}},
waist="Eschan Stone",
left_ear="Regal Earring",
right_ear="Malignance Earring",
left_ring="Shiva Ring +1",
right_ring="Freke Ring",
back={ name="Lugh's Cape", augments={'INT+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','INT+10','"Mag.Atk.Bns."+10',}},

Been trying to hit 10K Geohelix II, but on most Apex mob's I've been testing I've only been hitting ~5500. Agwu set is out of my reach atm, but any suggestions to hit that 10K mark?

The most you're bursting is 5500? or just free nuking? If free nuking you're unlikely to see that 10k mark, if you're bursting swapping in a Mujin band would be beneficial over the shiva ring +1. Even then I can't see how you're not hitting that 10k mark on a burst cause that gear should do it without much issue. Could maybe swap body/legs to some Magic DMG/burst + augments on merlinic, but that's about it.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-11-15 05:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Do your telchine augs use regen+3 or enhancing duration? Updating quite a few lua atm because they are missing several gear changes of mine I thought I added in months ago.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-15 09:18:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally you would want both, but realistically regen+3 is such a small increase (it's +3, not 3% afaik) that I never considered it a worthy exchange for 10% duration.

There are other slots where that's debateable (main, head, cape) but for just +3 hp/tic hmmm, no thanks.
That's just me though. If SCH is your main job and you have time and inventory slots to waste then sure why not going both?

If you had to pick just one though my suggestion would be to go for the duration one.
By appleshampoo 2021-11-15 11:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

as someone still learning the intricacies of SCH... if you did opt to make both, when would you use the +3 regen potency over +10% duration?
 Bismarck.Xagashi
By Bismarck.Xagashi 2021-11-15 11:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend to use more of a combined set by default with the option of max duration as secondary option. The emp. head is +15% on the base (or +7 for Regen V) and the Bookworm cape is +10. A slight decrease in the duration but the biggest bang for those 2 slots.

sets.midcast.Regen = set_combine(sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration, {
main="Musa",
sub="Khonsu",
head="Arbatel Bonnet +1",
body={ name="Telchine Chas.", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
hands={ name="Telchine Gloves", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
legs={ name="Telchine Braconi", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
feet={ name="Telchine Pigaches", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
back="Bookworm's Cape",
})

sets.midcast.RegenDuration = set_combine(sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration, {
head={ name="Telchine Cap", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
back={ name="Lugh's Cape", augments={'INT+20','Mag. Acc+20 /Mag. Dmg.+20','INT+10','"Fast Cast"+10',}},
})
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2021-11-15 11:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I have two sets I used to alternate with a trigger.
Basic set was the same but I was swapping Main Hand, Head and Cape.

Bolelabunga/Empy+1/JSE for Potency
Coeus/Telchine/Ambucape for Duration.

Now I got me a Musa which is BiS for both potency AND duration so that's one item less to swap I guess... I still have the double set and the trigger to swap in my lua though. You never know, we might get more potency pieces in the future.
As for your question "when do you guys use potency or duration?" most of the time I'm in my duration set because I'm lazy and I like to save Strats to do other things.
If I see I'm healing my pt a bit too often then I swap to potency.
The difference is not that huge anyway, we're talking about what, 2 mins difference between the 2 sets?

Edit:
Technically there's Bunzi with Regen potency+7 but SE sucks and didn't put SCH on Bunzi, lame, right?
 Asura.Pusheen
user: Tyrael
By Asura.Pusheen 2021-11-24 08:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

According to BGwiki: Regen V base w/LA 64/tick 108 seconds

ItemSet 378177

Musa: +25
Arbatel Bonnet +1: +7
Telchine Chausable: +3
Arbatel Bracers +1: +0 (assuming JA use)
Bookworm's Cape: +10
Embla Sash: +0 (duration)
Telchine Braconi: +3
Telchine Pigaches: +3

This set gives you a potency of 115/tick and w/Perpetuance a duration of 9:56. With Tabula Rasa up it would give and additional +12/tick (127) and enhance duration (~12min).

Embrava when cast at the beginning and just before the end of TR has ~10min duration and an additional 72hp/tick and when combined with regen V is 200+hp/tick

10min duration is completely fine for me personally so Ive gone to straight potency for just Regen and i find it to be quiet nice.
 Bismarck.Xagashi
By Bismarck.Xagashi 2021-11-24 10:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xagashi said: »

sets.midcast.Regen = set_combine(sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration, {
main="Musa",
sub="Khonsu",
head="Arbatel Bonnet +1",
body={ name="Telchine Chas.", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
hands={ name="Telchine Gloves", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
legs={ name="Telchine Braconi", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
feet={ name="Telchine Pigaches", augments={'"Conserve MP"+5','Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +10',}},
back="Bookworm's Cape",
})

Just for comparison, the set I posted above as a mix set is 103/tick for 12:55minutes when used with Arbatel Bracers +1 and Perpetuance.
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2021-11-24 12:59:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Go for enhancing duration 1st, used for more spells. Haste phalanx barspell Adloquium storms ect. Theres oddys bunzi feet giving +7 hp a tick i might swap out enh duration for. Invs alrdy tight i cant fit in minor regen pot +3 pieces.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xagashi
By Bismarck.Xagashi 2021-11-27 18:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cicion said: »
Go for enhancing duration 1st, used for more spells. Haste phalanx barspell Adloquium storms ect. Theres oddys bunzi feet giving +7 hp a tick i might swap out enh duration for. Invs alrdy tight i cant fit in minor regen pot +3 pieces.

Sadly, scholar is not on the bunzi armor.
 Asura.Seizan
user: Seiza
By Asura.Seizan 2021-12-05 04:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
"when do you guys use potency or duration?"

Tbh, i only use potency when i have a cor who does naturalist roll. Cause i'm lazy too, i guess xD

(ofc there might be some occasions where there is needed to go full pot, but that is not often. sch regen is stronk!)
First Page 2 3 ... 89 90 91 ... 99 100 101