Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Woodworking » Woodworking 60->69
Woodworking 60->69
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-04-30 14:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

=o I hit my skillup wall: Woodworking 60.

I know--I COULD use Demon Arrows to 69 right off the bat, but I wanted to test out the Tarutaru Fishing Rod idea first.^^/

At first, I was going to do the "synth Tarutaru Fishing Rods, Desynth to recycle a few mats, lather, rinse, repeat" 'til 65.

Then I thought, well, I could just break my fishing rods, and tote a few stacks of Light Crystals on the boat. I looked up a few fishing forums, and found out that Sliced Bluetail breaks 'em nicely, or even Meatballs.

But then, I was sitting on the Ferry from Mhuara <=> Selbina, and didn't get a break that whole night--my line just snapped instead, even on the "You have a terrible feeling about this!" catch. =o

Is it just my luck, or am I doing something wrong? And I know I can do a few other fishing rods soon enough (Hume/Clothespole/Lu Shang's/Mithran), but I really have no idea how to actually, purposefully BREAK a rod.

Could anyone suggest either a different (equivalently cheap^^; ) synth, or the absolute best way to break rods at that level? Or should I just spend a buttload of gil on the Demon Arrows?
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Server: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-04-30 15:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried breaking halcyon rods (strongest synthetic small fish rod) for alchemy and had similar experiences. Small rods simply aren't able to catch a big fish like they used to. If you can't haul it up, you can't break the rod. Arrowwood logs (requires 0 skill, but hooks infrequently) and Giant Donkos in Rabao (lost some due to size, caught some, broke rod some) were the only thing I could reliably catch that could break the darn thing.

In the end, it just wasn't worth the time/effort to break them.
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2008-04-30 16:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Anye, I can try to break you a few rods. If I remember right I had to be careful when I was fishing not to break some of them. I'll give it a go and try to stock pile you some for our next batch of skill ups.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-05-01 19:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Aw, Blind!! I've posted the same thing on FFXIclopedia.org forums, but no response just yet. I'm thinking of just camping out the guild until Walnut Logs sell for 648gil each, and then synth/desynth Tarutaru Fishing Rods... Only downside is, the desynth process causes me to lose a lot more rods than actually recycling 50% of the mats. =o But thanks SO much anyways--for this and the Demon Arrowheads!!! <33333
 Ramuh.Rikapi
Premium
Server: Ramuh
user: Rikapi
By Ramuh.Rikapi 2008-05-02 03:38:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Walnut logs should be getting cheaper now with the bahut craze finally settling down (though I'm seeing Ragnarok still has it pretty high in the all-server comparison bar graph) but still, thanks to bahut, I don't think you'll see walnut logs that cheap more than once in a blue moon.

Angel flutes work well as an intermediary skill-up (leftover parchment can be saved for Taru folding screens later on) as long as you can fund the rosewood lumber, btw.

If you're in no hurry, the most "cost-efficient" way would be to slowly skill with guild pattern items... you skill up, and you earn guild points for doing so. (but I'll warn you, this method will take nothing short of forever...)
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-05-02 14:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ahh, thanks. Yeah, I've been looking at the GP method, but like you said, it does tend to take forever, and lately, the GP items haven't been so great.... unlike bonecraft, gdi. *stares at Blind* D:
 Midgardsormr.Ohdin
Server: Midgardsormr
user:
By Midgardsormr.Ohdin 2008-05-02 20:52:08
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

i did demon arrows on my mule. was rather simple if u can farm up the horns or buy em since they are cheap. get a bonecrafter to make the arrowheads. demon arrows sell pretty decent and a stack of 99 should get ya to where u need to be.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-05-06 19:30:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, it's sad, the minute I give up and think about synthing the Demon Arrowheads, Black Chocobo Fletchings go out of stock for 3 days. T.T
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [198 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Ertai
Server: Carbuncle
user: Erti
By Carbuncle.Ertai 2008-11-21 00:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did the run to 69 (stopped at 67 actually) on my mule. I got to 61 on chests then started Demon Arrows. It took about 4 stacks of demon horns and 3 stacks of fletchlings, but I still turned a significant profit on it.
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-11-21 06:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I would just do Demon Arrows Just off the Back, TBH this will be your Last real profite while skilling up till the End Now,

Lv70-80 Is pretty expenive but not to bad with a sub Craft of Alchemy Anyway this what i did without any crafts i'm gonna lv mine as i hit 100 :P

Best way to go that i found:
60-69 - Demon Arrows(Save your profite)

70-71/72 - Ancient Lumber(Save them, Selling is a small profite 250gil(?))

71/72-77 - Clothespole (Desynth these to recraft and save lil amount of gil) or do:

71-76 Kilo Pumps - Alchemy Sub Craft Needed

76/77 - 79 Ebony Pole - Can Npc these for like 2k loss But breaks it down abit(also Desyntch to recraft)

79- 87 - Mithra Fishing Rod (Desyntch And Recraft have pretty decent Rainbow thread Yeild)

84- 89 - Mythic Poles (Desyntch And Recraft Desyn has pretty high break rate be4 lv85 Suggest waiting till lv85+)

Ps. If you didnt want a guid Please forgive me:) But I always spent hours trying 2find cheaper ways to craft always got /tells about higher price items spent awhile figure what give's decent skill ups and low coast, Without needing a sub craft
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-11-21 09:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I fixed fishing poles from ~60 to 80. I don't remember 100% which one it was but whichever pole is around level 71 cap. Go the the lowest level of Gusgen Mines where those three small rooms around on the map with ponds and the NM ghosts spawn. There is only one fish you can catch there and it will break the rod nearly 100% of the time. To break a rod you need to sucessfully fish up the fish so you will also need fairly high fishing skill but anything over 20-30 ish should be fine. And this route only cost me like 30k total for 20 levels (mostly crystal costs)

After this rod I was working on my Ebisu quest so I had to repair a Lushangs a lot which I did from ~72 until my WW mule hit 80.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-21 10:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got over this synthing area myself. Quite a hassle. What I did is synth Darksteel Bolts(caps @ WW62) and then from there went on to the Demon Arrows. On my server the mats were 120k(darksteel bolt heads) and just synthed/bought the lumber(really inexpensive). The Darksteel Bolt Quivers(stack) sold for 70k a piece and I made 2stacks and 8 quivers which was a profit. After that I went to demon arrows, used the advanced synthing support for 3-5 levels.(^-^)b
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2008-11-21 11:35:41
Link | Quote | Reply

When it all comes down to it, Demon arrows is still the best synth. initial prices are high and you will fail alot at first, but in the end you will profit from it. Just get advanced guild support and use your +1 item if you have it. I remember it taking about 3 stacks of material to to cap at 69. So you are looking at about 300-400k worth of material and will prolly make 100-200k profit by the time you are done (at least that was what i got). Breaking rods takes to long...
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-21 22:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

OH! Hey! My thread got bumped, thanks XDDDDD I was just scanning the Crafter's Crib out of sheer boredom, and found this! Thanks for your input, guys!

Pre-Demon Arrows:
Triet said:
What I did is synth Darksteel Bolts(caps @ WW62) and then from there went on to the Demon Arrows. On my server the mats were 120k (darksteel bolt heads) and just synthed/bought the lumber(really inexpensive). The Darksteel Bolt Quivers(stack) sold for 70k a piece and I made 2stacks and 8 quivers which was a profit.

I didn't bother with the Darksteel Bolts--on Ragnarok, the stacks of boltheads sell VERY SLOWLY, so I just went ahead with the Demon Quivers until 69.

Concerning Demon Arrows:
Ertai said:
I just did the run to 69 (stopped at 67 actually) on my mule. I got to 61 on chests then started Demon Arrows. It took about 4 stacks of demon horns and 3 stacks of fletchlings, but I still turned a significant profit on it.

Knightofdragons said:
I would just do Demon Arrows Just off the Back, TBH this will be your Last real profite while skilling up till the End

Yeah, I actually ended up getting to 69 using Demon Arrows, too, RIGHT before RMT flooded the business and drove the price of stacks down from ~60k to currently ~35k-40k, WHEW. What REALLY helped was having a Bonecrafting friend (Blindphleb, http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=714749, who actually JUST hit Bonecraft 100 <3 MANY THANKS, Blindo! \o/) who is skilling up to level 63. He donated the arrowheads for free, and I crafted them, turned them into quivers, and shared the cost 50/50, which actually benefited both of us in the long run.

Post-Demon Arrows:
Woodworking Route:
Knightofdragons said:
Now,

Lv70-80 Is pretty expenive but not to bad with a sub Craft of Alchemy Anyway this what i did without any crafts i'm gonna lv mine as i hit 100 :P

Best way to go that i found:
60-69 - Demon Arrows(Save your profite)

70-71/72 - Ancient Lumber(Save them, Selling is a small profite 250gil(?))

71/72-77 - Clothespole (Desynth these to recraft and save lil amount of gil) or do:

71-76 Kilo Pumps - Alchemy Sub Craft Needed

76/77 - 79 Ebony Pole - Can Npc these for like 2k loss But breaks it down abit(also Desyntch to recraft)

79- 87 - Mithra Fishing Rod (Desyntch And Recraft have pretty decent Rainbow thread Yeild)

84- 89 - Mythic Poles (Desyntch And Recraft Desyn has pretty high break rate be4 lv85 Suggest waiting till lv85+)

Ps. If you didnt want a guid Please forgive me:) But I always spent hours trying 2find cheaper ways to craft always got /tells about higher price items spent awhile figure what give's decent skill ups and low coast, Without needing a sub craft

Yep, this is somewhere along the lines of what I was thinking of going over. It's np for writing up a guide, I've been looking at other people's suggestions to see which is the most cost-efficient and least time-consuming, and your guide helped^^ Thanks!

Fishing Route:
Bekisa said:
I fixed fishing poles from ~60 to 80. I don't remember 100% which one it was but whichever pole is around level 71 cap. Go the the lowest level of Gusgen Mines where those three small rooms around on the map with ponds and the NM ghosts spawn. There is only one fish you can catch there and it will break the rod nearly 100% of the time. To break a rod you need to sucessfully fish up the fish so you will also need fairly high fishing skill but anything over 20-30 ish should be fine. And this route only cost me like 30k total for 20 levels (mostly crystal costs)

After this rod I was working on my Ebisu quest so I had to repair a Lushangs a lot which I did from ~72 until my WW mule hit 80.

Ahh, yeah.... I wish I had the time to level Fishing XD But this would be great for part-time fishers who are also looking into leveling Woodworking as their main craft. Sounds much cheaper, too.... =O
 Fenrir.Oprahruru
Server: Fenrir
user: Oprahruru
By Fenrir.Oprahruru 2008-11-21 23:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I am actually at 59 WW right now and this is all very helpful! Thank you Thank you! Sorry I don't have much to add to the conversation ; ;

And lucky me I have 100 BC and 93 CC friends who are going to, hopefully, save me oodles and oodles of gil :)
 Pandemonium.Areis
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2008-11-22 03:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I would put up a slightly different path than KoD has stated:

59-63 Angel Flute (Wind)
Parchment
Rosewood Lumber

60-69 Demon Arrow (Earth)
Arrowwood Lumber
Black Chocobo Fletchings
Demon Arrowheads

70-72 Tarutaru Folding Screen (Earth)
Parchment x3
Rattan Lumber x3

72-77 Commode (Earth)
Rosewood Lumber x5
--OR--
72-77 Clothespole (Wind)
Mahogany Lumber
Silk Thread

77-81 Cabinet (Earth)
Holly Lumber
Oak Lumber x4

81-84 Mythic Wand (Wind)
Ancient Lumber
Phoenix Feather
--OR--
81-85 Battle Staff (Wind) [Smithing required]
Steel Ingot
Walnut Lumber x2

84-89 Mytic Pole
Ancient Lumber x2
--OR--
84-91 Kabura Arrow (Earth) [Bonecraft required]
Bamboo Stick
Giant Bird Fletchings
Karimata Arrowheads
Ram Horn

89-94 Eight-Sided Pole (Wind) [Smithing required]
Mythril Ingot
Walnut Lumber x2

94-98 Cythara Anglica (Earth)
Ancient Lumber x2
Coeurl Whisker
Ebony Lumber x2

98-99 Lancewood Lumber (Wind)
Lancewood Log

99-100 the choices are yours... alot more than when i could just do Ox Tongue lol
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2008-11-22 08:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like Areis has a good path to hit 100, only thing i did different was doing ancient lumber until 72. More expensive but it usually makes a profit. Also, you can save the lumber to help absorb the cost of the mythic wands and poles. I have a guide on wiki that shows my path that you can check out if you need any other ideas. Good luck!
 Pandemonium.Areis
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2008-11-22 08:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

once upon a time i had a guide... then the linkshell website i had it on and my computer died on the same day and all 30 pages of information about crafting, theories and "facts" and all my skilling up guides for 0-60 all crafts and 0-100 woodworking went kaboom! but my brain still remembers even if i'm not willing to spend another month of free time getting all the links and images to put it together again lol.
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2008-11-22 08:13:14
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, that would suck... your right, so time consuming to get it all together... I put them together to help out friends and other people that alwasys had questions. They could go to it instead of waiting for me to log in.
 Fairy.Raikan
Server: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2008-11-22 09:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I did all Crossbow Bolts and Arrows through that level.

Darksteel Bolts cap at 62, and sell nicely/profitably on my Server.

Gold Arrows cap at 65, and sell for a profit. (Note: These weren't around when I crafted through this level gap. I went straight from broken Tarutaru Rods bought off the AH (Cap:63) to Bodkin Arrows (Cap:68))

Bodkins were generally a loss at the time, and took awhile to sell. So once I hit 65 I then switched to Demon Arrows, which were a decent profit.

Also, it hasn't been mentioned here, but once you hit 90/91 do Bloodwood Logs (Cap:95).

Lacquer Tree Sap (Cap:96) is a good moneymaker in the long run, but you'll need to hold onto them and wait to track down somebody who is buying the Sap for their Alchemy skillups and sell it to them direct. Otherwise expect them to get returned from the AH a lot. NPC'ing them is not a nice loss on Fairy.
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-22 10:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

:D Hey Anye ^^ I didn't know you were a woodworker! Me too :) there is plenty of good avice here but to be honest here is my opinion
you're intelligent meaning you have some money in the bank - so for you it's more or less "I want to skill from 60 - 69 not leaving the guild"
Demon arrows are your fastest route despite breaks and etc. Grab a bunch of logs bring a friend to hold them and crystals (so you can go nakie paladin and craft) and make your arrowwood lumber first then non stop craft for 2 hours maybe three and boom 69 cap. Bundle them into quivers and sell them for profit or at least a break even or maybe a loss depends on the server. Running back and forth is the time killer with a little money you're beyond it in a few hours :D then you get to post WTF?! 40 mil to 100????? D: anyway good luck

it ends out in this simple equasion
less time + more more up front costs possible losses x luck = 69
more time + less up front costs x lesser losses + patients - break even= 69 ^^; either way you're 69 in the end :)

by the way /sea all ranger 40 - 75
/tell would you like an AH discount on the mass arrows you buy to show off your eptitude in combat? really? Good, if you have a moment we can discuss the bounty of money you can save buying in larger quantity from me, then taking a few stacks reposting them on the AH for a nice return so you can show off your craft with the most expensive arrows for your lvl! See we both win! You can make money while out firing the thousands of arrows (that you bought at a song~ from me) and I can stop wasting time logging into mules to post these so I can keep my crafting going and rangers like you out on the front lines turning
<insert random [bat]/[bird] here> into pin cushions while everyone marvels your ability to make paladins (much like myself) annoyed at the enmity volly-ball game and looking less inept at our chosen professions while you look like the professional (and intelligent) ranger I already know that you are from buying at such a discount in the first place! Thank you so much your order is now in the mail "See you again!"

:D that does wonders ^^; for woodworkers :)
Good luck Anye ^^
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-22 15:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

XDDDDD wow, you guys really revived my thread!! Wootwoot woodworking =3

I am actually WW71 atm, I'm working on the gil to buy the Pet Logs to get to 72. I did try the Tarutaru Folding Screen for a while (due to my lack of gil and opportunistic findings of Regional vendors), but I would definitely recommend saving up the gil to do the Petrified Logs => Ancient Lumber route, as you will definitely need the Ancient Lumber for 81-89, for Mythic Wands (81-84) and Mythic Poles (84-89).

Areis said:
60-69 Demon Arrow (Earth)
Arrowwood Lumber
Black Chocobo Fletchings
Demon Arrowheads

70-72 Tarutaru Folding Screen (Earth)
Parchment x3
Rattan Lumber x3

72-77 Commode (Earth)
Rosewood Lumber x5
--OR--
72-77 Clothespole (Wind)
Mahogany Lumber
Silk Thread

77-81 Cabinet (Earth)
Holly Lumber
Oak Lumber x4

81-84 Mythic Wand (Wind)
Ancient Lumber
Phoenix Feather

84-89 Mytic Pole
Ancient Lumber x2
HEY! This is really similar to my own setup! After hitting 72, I'm going to farm/buy Rosewood Logs for Hume Fishing Rods to 74, and Commodes to 77. Although, Clothespoles look pretty nice, actually.... 5x Rosewood Lumber compared to 1x Mahogany Lumber and Silver Thread... hm.

Areis said:
89-94 Eight-Sided Pole (Wind) [Smithing required]
Mythril Ingot
Walnut Lumber x2

94-98 Cythara Anglica (Earth)
Ancient Lumber x2
Coeurl Whisker
Ebony Lumber x2

98-99 Lancewood Lumber (Wind)
Lancewood Log
Instead of doing the Eight-Sided Pole, people have been telling me to synth Bloodwood Lumber using Bloodwood Logs and desynthing Soulflayer Staffs--The only downside to desynthing Soulflayer Staffs, though, is when you HQ and get a 5k Spinel instead. Pooh. =(

Areis said:
99-100 the choices are yours... alot more than when i could just do Ox Tongue lol
I've actually heard that it's probably easier to level Smithing to BELOW 60, and break-synth Iron-Splitter (Wind Crystal, Walnut Lumber x2, Adaman Ingot) to 100.

And thank you Mari for your input, you sure put a funny spin on things, XDDD I can usually deal with the RNGs spamming arrows though--it's funny, but most of the RNGs in my parties know when to Barrage WS, while most of the Spamurai on the other hand do not.... >_<; O well, less MP for me to waste, right?

I would NOT doubt the 40M to WW100... it does looks expensive from here on out :< Maybe I should look into the personal advertisement.... I'd feel an awful lot like an RMT though XDD
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-22 15:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Oprahruru said:
Thank you so much for posting this thread. I am actually at 59 WW right now and this is all very helpful! Thank you Thank you! Sorry I don't have much to add to the conversation ; ;

And lucky me I have 100 BC and 93 CC friends who are going to, hopefully, save me oodles and oodles of gil :)

OH! and no problem, er.... Oprah....^^; GL with the woodworking!

*tries not to giggle at the image of Oprah crafting o.O;;*
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-22 15:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Marigrim said:
/sea all ranger 40 - 75 /tell would you like an AH discount on the mass arrows you buy to show off your eptitude in combat? really? Good, if you have a moment we can discuss the bounty of money you can save buying in larger quantity from me, then taking a few stacks reposting them on the AH for a nice return so you can show off your craft with the most expensive arrows for your lvl! See we both win! You can make money while out firing the thousands of arrows (that you bought at a song~ from me) and I can stop wasting time logging into mules to post these so I can keep my crafting going and rangers like you out on the front lines turning <INSERT here [bird] [bat] random>into pin cushions while everyone marvels your ability to make paladins (much like myself) annoyed at the enmity volly-ball game and looking less inept at our chosen professions while you look like the professional (and intelligent) ranger I already know that you are from buying at such a discount in the first place! Thank you so much your order is now in the mail "See you again!" :D that does wonders ^^; for woodworkers :) Good luck Anye ^^

Anye said:
And thank you Mari for your input, you sure put a funny spin on things, XDDD I can usually deal with the RNGs spamming arrows though

LOL XD It's to "push" the sale a little kissing of the
<insert random rump covering armor> never hurts! XD I have no doubt to your abilities I assure you D: was a funny spin on a sales pitch ^^; at least I thought. But really on a more serious note contract for hire is a good way to make a living rangers seriously go through some money on those arrows so it's just as much a help to them as it is for you, now finding players that many of your replies won't sound like

"Anye: Yes I would like to see things from your point of view, I assure you I really do - but for some reason I can't get my Gallant Coronet past the rear fringe of my Gallant Breeches, can you show me? You make that look so easy! Prehaps then I can understand your ***ty view of things ^^" XD

I am sure though you'll find several contracts that will keep you funded for quite a while to continue the road to 100 ^^
and thank you for the reply mention ^^
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2008-11-22 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodwood logs to me are a very expensive way to level. I break is gonna cost you prolly around 50k and the profit from it usually is not much. And as for 100, do the iron splitter/steel splitter route. It will take about 2 stacks of adaman ingots to reach 100 from level 99. Then just NPC the steel splitters. Sure it is gonna be around 600k-1000k loss, but if you are here, it should not be that big of deal. Just my opinion (and how i did it).
 Ragnarok.Saeryn
user: Saeryn
By Ragnarok.Saeryn 2008-11-22 17:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

GDI Anye, you're going to pass my bonecraft soon! D:

....but I have my apron! Muwahahahaha...
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-22 22:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Marigrim said:
LOL XD It's to "push" the sale a little kissing of the
<insert random rump covering armor> never hurts! XD I have no doubt to your abilities I assure you D: was a funny spin on a sales pitch ^^; at least I thought. But really on a more serious note contract for hire is a good way to make a living rangers seriously go through some money on those arrows so it's just as much a help to them as it is for you
lol! It's a great idea, I've actually gotten requests from ls mates in the past who are like.... "@_@ ARROWS SO EXPENSIVE... HELP~" hehehe~

Xarchangel said:
Bloodwood logs to me are a very expensive way to level. I break is gonna cost you prolly around 50k and the profit from it usually is not much. And as for 100, do the iron splitter/steel splitter route. It will take about 2 stacks of adaman ingots to reach 100 from level 99. Then just NPC the steel splitters. Sure it is gonna be around 600k-1000k loss, but if you are here, it should not be that big of deal. Just my opinion (and how i did it).
Actually, Soulflayer Staffs sell for about 20k, while Bloodwood Lumber sells for about 40k each. It's slow, but cost-efficient--that is, as long as I don't HQ2 a stupid Spinel. D:

Saeryn said:
GDI Anye, you're going to pass my bonecraft soon! D:

....but I have my apron! Muwahahahaha...
YEAH WELL, I have... GLOVES... BAH.

lol, you should feel worse that Blind has already reached 100 XD teehee~ <3333
 Pandemonium.Knightofdragons
By Pandemonium.Knightofdragons 2008-11-23 04:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i got to agree with Xarchangel, bloodwood lumber is hell of expenive! And there rly isnt a profite in it when ur skilling up, Single break is 50k down the drain! and remove's all profite for about 5other logs, Not worth it did few myself once, Broke 3/4of my logs, Could of been jst bad Luck,
 Fairy.Ninelives
Server: Fairy
user: Ninelives
By Fairy.Ninelives 2008-11-23 12:30:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been a while, but I'll post some alternate recipes I used back when I was getting the craft to 100. Note: a lot of these involve some time/effort, and don't often result in the quickest path.

59-61: Ebony Lumber - Nobody really ever goes for this, but I profited during this stage. Darksteel Bolts were way t0o expensive at the time, and these logs were always up.

61-65: Tarutaru Fishing Rods: This is where having a 75 THF helps, but it isn't required. I went to the guild in Sandy, made about fives stacks of Walnut Lumber, and went out to Buburimu and killed crawlers. When I got a silk thread to drop, I crafted. NPCing the rods makes up for the cost of the lumber.

65-69: Demon Arrows - Same as everyone else, but without the large 9-10 level gap a lot of WWers start these with.

69-72: Tarutaru Folding Screens: Again, it's been a while, but iirc if you get the mats from the regional vendors, the NPC price makes this a pretty even synth. I held on to some of these on my mule since it comes up as a GP item now and then.

72-77: Clothespole - Exact same thing as the Tarutaru Fishing Rods, though with these I usually tried to desynth my Mahogany Lumber back for a retry.

77-80: Fortunately for me, I had a fishing buddy (thanks Maj!) that had a Lu Shang's and was more than happy to break it on the ferry for me. When he wasn't online or I wanted to try a few skillups on my own, I did:

77-78: Ebony Pole - bleh synth, but it gets the job done as a bridge to 78 for the next non-Lu Shang's synth.

Note: Marid Arrows didn't exist back then, so I have no idea how good these are to get to 81 on. ^^;

78/80-83: Broken Mithran Fishing Rod - I broke these quite easily (with about 15 fishing skill, they're really not hard fish to land despite being labeled level 80 fishing) at the bottom of the waterfall in North Gustaberg. Break the rod (bought on AH, since they're 87 cap on WW) repair, repeat. This went by pretty quickly; I was sad to have it cap out.

83-86: Mithran Fishing Rod: Rainbow thread can be expensive, so knowing a Clothcrafter helps. However, even of you don't know one you can offset the cost of the thread by breaking the rods once you craft them and selling them on the AH broken (people buy them for the Opo-Opo Crown quest.) Mix in a few NQ rods on the AH, and though a bit slow I got through to 87 without losing a single gil. :3

86-91: Kabura Arrows - Nom nom! These NPC for 10k/stack, so yay for making a lot of gil at this stage of a craft! I farmed all my horns though, so it was a larger profit than buying them on the AH. The hardest part of this synth is probably finding arrowheds on the AH, but thanks to a Smithing buddy (thanks Naz!) I got them while he was skilling up on them. I still farm the horns and NPC the arrows for profit when bored. It is very much worth getting your Bonecraft skill high enough to make this synth, otherwise I guess you could go for Mythic Poles and Harps.

91-95: By the time I got here, ToAU was out. Being the stubborn crafter that hates losing gil leveling it that I am, I went to Mamook and logged my own Bloodwood Logs to skill up on, and sold the completed lumbers for very nice profit. I used those profits to but some Mythril Ingots to help speed up the process of leveling on Eight-sided poles (cap 94, just NPC'd them.) It helped I had a friend that just got his Morrigan's Cuffs drops and gave me some logs to make into lumber for him. :3

Side Note: Lacquer Tree Sap caps at 96, and before the logs started going up in price this wasn't a bad synth/NPC recipe - a little loss but tolerable. I luckily stumbled into a deal with someone who saw my crafting them, and was able to sell a few stacks at the cost of the logs for a bit. However, only so much of that sap is needed, so it dried up fairly quick.

95-99: Mainly Lancewood Logs - I would buy the ones that dropped in Dynamis from my LS members and just camp the AH. Gil loss is inevitable, but not too bad since I had made quite a bit from Bloodwood Lumbers.

99-100: I did the Iron-Splitter/Steel-Splitter route. Adaman Ingots are pure loss, but I figured since I had gotten to 99 w/o much loss I'd just go for broke. Made the Iron-Splitters, tried again with the Iron-Splitter and a Steel Walnut Lumber, and NPC'd the Steel-Splitter. Got from 99-100 in about two stacks of ingots.

Hope this helps; some of the options are definitely not the norm, but with some patience and farming (especially making the rods using the silk thread) I was able to get to 100 only losing gil on the end 99-100 stretch. Good luck! (^.^)v