users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Alchemy » How to make money with alchemy
How to make money with alchemy
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-20 14:36:02
Link | Quote | Reply

My alchemy is 81, and i now hav the gills to take it near 100, but what is a good way to make money with it?! the only ways i see are with sub crafts too (which i am leveling) which i will need funds for!
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-20 14:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bullets are nice gil and require Smithing sub. Could also make Hakutaku Eye Clusters, but they're sooo 2005.

And like with all crafts, most gil is in the HQ. Try things like Hawker's and other miscellaneous weapons.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-05-20 14:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

You can make money doing low synths and HQing them, like everyone does with everything else...?
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-20 14:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
You can make money doing low synths and HQing them, like everyone does with everything else...?

Anything to hq inparticular? i could just do like beeswax to silents but thats no fun, takes ages and takes up ton of space
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-20 14:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragon hearts? remedies used to be hot not sure if you can still make money that way
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-05-20 14:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Just scroll through the items in the crafting list here. Then separate them out by HQ tier and gauge how much gil you'll have to spend, then see how much you 'should' make.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-05-20 14:50:16
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Click "Recipes" on the left, begin browsing. Problem solved.

Just look for items that sell as Fast or Very Fast, and are profitable.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-20 14:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Just scroll through the items in the crafting list here. Then separate them out by HQ tier and gauge how much gil you'll have to spend, then see how much you 'should' make.

Unfortunately alchemy much like cooking its hard to do that with alot of it since like 80% of the recipes have ingredients taht are rediculously cheaper from npcs

Luignata said:
Click "Recipes" on the left, begin browsing. Problem solved.

Just look for items that sell as Fast or Very Fast, and are profitable.

Or the cheapest easiest skillups
 Bahamut.Revision
Server: Bahamut
user: Carbon4
By Bahamut.Revision 2009-05-20 14:53:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Blood gear is really the only way if you want to make good money. At least on Bahamut. You really need Moglification though to optimize HQ chances. I average about 15% Hq rate, which means I only need to hq 1/30 to make a profit. I have some screenshot up proving how successful I have been. Its a pain but get all the guild items. In total I think its about 550k gp.

You cannot make money HQ'ing hearts. For some reason, the hq rate on those only seems to be about 5%.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-20 14:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I shall have a browse! still welcoming ideas, my plan atm ultimatly was 100 alch 60 smith and 60 woodwork to hq bloodybolt heads then turn them into bolts
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-20 15:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is 60 woodwork gonna get a decent Hq rate on bolt making? (14 woodworking)
 Fairy.Antigone
user: jarredpoe
By Fairy.Antigone 2009-05-20 15:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I make good gil off Silver Bullets, takes about 40k to make a 12x quiver and you make around 140k off them (on Fairy anyhow). Woodworking is a great sub, make your own holy water and bloody bolt heads and you make great gil, all of the items are very farmable or very cheap to buy.
 Phoenix.Pilipinoboi
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Pilipinoboi 2009-05-21 00:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Alchemy is no longer as profitable as it used to. My main money maker back then were the Remedy synths that sold straight to NPC.
I also focused on Cursed items (Check my screenshot on profile for my latest batch and most likely final batch on cursed items.) Mamushito +1, Icarus Wings, Silent Oil and Prism Powders. Pretty much the basic and known crafts.
Sometimes I make Automaton Oil if you had the time to wait for it to sell. There are many options out there, just up for you to find it! So I wish you luck!
I am however planning on de-leveling this synth sometime soon. We've had a good run but I need a more profitable and stable income to finish my relic.
Alchemy and Leathercraft aren't just cutting it for now @.@;
I hope this helps you and good luck with your future endeavors!
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-21 00:54:06
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

you mix the red with the blue then you make instant profit ???

or blow up the left side of bastok
 Alexander.Pakalolo
Server: Alexander
user: Pakalolo
By Alexander.Pakalolo 2009-05-21 01:02:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 100 alch, used to do cursed ***, but the price of blood inrelation to what cursed sells for, it not worth it now.

But there is a synth that has made me millions in alch.........

Mashi katana's, cost like 5k to make HQ sells for 140-150k on my server. Its a lvl 91 synth but i seem to hq about 4 or 5 out of 24 so not bad.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-05-21 01:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

what ever happened to the days most Alchemists made drugs like Meth? That ***sold like hot cakes!
 Valefor.Neokenesis
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Neokenesis 2009-05-21 03:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Alchemy is now a BS skill to have now. I got to 94 before they killed remedies. silent oil can make some profit but u have to put in the hard work and not to mention the waiting time to sell. Unless you are some tool who likes the undercut but that market is pretty flooded same with prism powder.

When this last update came i was hoping that something that an Alchemist could make would be apart of the gobbiebag quest. But as usual Alchemist got screwed over again. Although there was a short period of time when icarus wings hit 20k after the update.. bk to 7k now ;;

Gl with whatever you decide to make
 Fairy.Filielle
user: Filielle
By Fairy.Filielle 2009-05-21 04:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Alchemy is of equivelence. I simply stated this fact with four other women during my 15 years old transition of performing the, "Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram" twice to thrice daily. I foretold my future as well as their's during her gestation pregnancy of 13 children & one of defected health.

The elected Princess of Water died at 19 years old. The ones I protected & sealed are in their rank of happiness to Earth jurisdiction. The Air Kingdom princess that was elected is the harbinger to the lesser three kingdoms towards the married two. I'm still pretty much of pure fire.

Dasva is of the right path of metatronics in synchronization to harmonics in preaching but lacks the necessary basics or harnessing the base astral elements into his being / vessel of now.

Elemental Wheel & Moon phase in-game:

Full Moon times are the highest luck for all things in-game / fortune.

Waning Moon / Retrograde Moon (Descending from Last Quarter Moon [50%]) is negativity to augmentations, thus causing detriments & not benefits of White & Light Mana.

New Moon is The Type O negative blood in-game. Black Mana.

Fire is Strength [RED]; Water is Atonement / Intelligence [BLUE]; Earth is Stability & Materialization / Vitality [AMBER]; Wind is Agility & Flexibility [EMERALD]; Lightning is Physical Shock / Dexterity [ROSE QUARTZ]; Light is Candor & Mind [SNOW];

Ice is The Negativities of Water / "INT"; Darkness is The Taint [ALL NEGATIVE STASIS];

Darkness is KEY for LEATHERCRAFT

Wind is KEY for BONECRAFT

Earth is KEY for CLOTHCRAFT

------------------------------------------------------

Smithing, Goldsmithing, Alchemy & Woodworking are the Quadralaterals of the guilds. Smithing & Goldsmithing are brethren guilds everywhere.

Alchemy & Woodworking are the more, "unseen" to unacknowledged mostly in all practices; In & outside of game.

Alchemy is the Blue Mage [BLU] while Woodworking is the Warrior; The Fenrir to the Carbuncle.
 Seraph.Xurion
Server: Seraph
user: Xurion
By Seraph.Xurion 2009-05-21 04:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
Atrithk said:

Anything to hq inparticular? i could just do like beeswax to silents but thats no fun, takes ages and takes up ton of space

Alchemy is majority consumables. Don't expect to make big gil in a flash.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-05-21 06:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bestway seems to be with a subskill item as those are more profitable
 Seraph.Xurion
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Xurion 2009-05-21 10:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Minusseven said:
Bestway seems to be with a subskill item as those are more profitable

Most synths with a sub craft requirement usually are the best profit. Especially those where all craft level requirements for that synth break past tier 3.

For example, Sha'ir Manteel synth is gold 95. If it wasn't for the cloth sub craft requirement of 60, goldsmithers would be able to reach tier 1.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-05-22 23:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on your definition of "profit".

Unless your name is "Weeks" you're not going to make 3-4 synths and make a few mil every day.

But if you log on 3 or 4 times a day to load the AH up with fast consumables, then Alchemy can be a fabulous way to have steady income.

And I recommend smithing sub. Steel Bullets are a good money maker, even without HQ
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-22 23:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

This post is to annoy people like Kavien of Caitsith.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-05-22 23:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
This post is to annoy people like Kavien of Caitsith.

I approve this message
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1045 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2012-04-02 07:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but this thread kind of went along with what i wanted to ask so pointless in starting a new thread.

But as with the OP, my Alchemy is 84+2 (have Apron and Club), and have been seriously considering lowering Alchemy as of late due to not many profitable synths. Nothing much sells anymore thats Alchemy related. Silent Oil is ok but the amount of effort to gain is well meh ... (im still making and selling occasionally but generally making for personal use).

I am aware the mega millions always reside in HQ'ing but is there anything that generally sells well for a decent profit? Again not talking millions but something decent to say hey this isnt bad and worthwhile kinda thing.

P.S. Im not just talking about near my level range but also at level 100 (now 110). Just dont want to level the craft to 110 and be making silent oils .......

Thanks in advance
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-04-02 07:38:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You can make a nominal amount of gil by Tier 1-ing old cursed items, or probably a fantastic amount of gil by Tier 0 HQing new cursed items (if you are sufficiently lucky and somehow get the mats).

Bullets are still easy to sell (kind of), but they take a tremendous amount of time to make and you will often find yourself competing with botters.

You may find farming currency to be easier and quicker than synthing for gil regardless what craft you have.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-04-02 07:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also sell sneak oils and prism powders. I remember a time when they were 5k/ea a stack, so clearly some *** are making at least a 700% markup right now ;3

*continues paying whatever they are priced at*
 Odin.Ladyrikku
Server: Odin
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-04-02 07:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I make Oriculium / Adaman Bullets with synergy makes good profit. Sells quite well on odin.

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
You can also sell sneak oils and prism powders. I remember a time when they were 5k/ea a stack, so clearly some *** are making at least a 700% markup right now ;3 *continues paying whatever they are priced at*

I remember when they were 30k/stack.
 Bismarck.Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2012-04-02 08:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
You can also sell sneak oils and prism powders. I remember a time when they were 5k/ea a stack, so clearly some *** are making at least a 700% markup right now ;3

*continues paying whatever they are priced at*
17,000 on Bismarck.
 Bismarck.Chaosprime
By Bismarck.Chaosprime 2012-04-02 12:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i should have leveled goldsmithing with alchemy but i didnt. bad alchemist i know ; ;