For The Lazy Paladin(s)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » For the lazy Paladin(s)
For the lazy Paladin(s)
By Raborn 2012-03-28 17:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've taken an interest in Paladin recently but do not plan on going for Almace, Burtgang, or Excalibur.

I plan on leveling the job for the sole purpose of off chance having to have a job that you'd need a "blood tank" (yeah yeah that hasn't been used in a while right?) for.

The first problem thats popped into my mind, is that PLD without those weapons seems to not have a high enough rate of consistant damage generation to keep up enmity for such purposes.

So how would I go about keeping enmity best?
Vorpal, stick with Atonement, merit Req?
Or something else I'm completely missing (throw a great sword on and Res lol).
Outside of Abyssea.
Inside of Abyssea.

Thanks,

Rab
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-03-28 17:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Props for the Blade of the Immortal avatar.

Carry on.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2012-03-28 17:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

if your not using almace, then your best bet would be throw a great sword on and res, but then why aren't you playing on warrior instead?
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2012-03-28 17:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything that needs Paladin to bloodtank it, is probably out of a half-assed Paladin's league to begin with.
[+]
 Asura.Kaisuko
Server: Asura
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2012-03-28 17:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Raborn said: »
So I've taken an interest in Paladin recently but do not plan on going for Almace, Burtgang, or Excalibur.

I plan on leveling the job for the sole purpose of off chance having to have a job that you'd need a "blood tank" (yeah yeah that hasn't been used in a while right?) for.

The first problem thats popped into my mind, is that PLD without those weapons seems to not have a high enough rate of consistant damage generation to keep up enmity for such purposes.

So how would I go about keeping enmity best?
Vorpal, stick with Atonement, merit Req?
Or something else I'm completely missing (throw a great sword on and Res lol).
Outside of Abyssea.
Inside of Abyssea.

Thanks,

Rab
Even walking into aby on pld other than to cap off for 99 is a waste of time, but if you're going to, Vorpal Blade is the obvious choice.

Outside of abyssea Vorpal Blade will be good on old content, but a little rocky in VW, Atonement will often times win in consistency. Requiescat might be decent on special defense type mobs, but the attack penalty seems extremely crappy to be good for anything else.

Without even dong Legion yet, I'd say Atonement will be useful unless the mobs have a resistance to it.

Thing is with all of this is you won't be keeping hate from any DD you happen to be with, with the possible exception of in Legion.
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-28 17:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

A paladin with Almace, Ochain, and Aegis is hardly useful. There's absolutely no reason to play the job without them.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nekonarf
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Nekonarf 2012-03-28 18:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Requiescat would out perform both of those ws's on anything Lv.80 content or higher, cause they resist the *** out of Atonement, and Vorpal Blade is hardly impressive compared to it.

CDC tho being the best you could use.

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
A paladin with Almace, Ochain, and Aegis is hardly useful. There's absolutely no reason to play the job without them.

Legion and holding adds in Voidwatch, I'd hate to see the results of a group that would go into Legion without an Aegis PLD, considering everything in there casts nukes that near 1 shot any DD in a proper MDT set, at least that we experienced.
 Phoenix.Evildemon
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Evildemon 2012-03-28 18:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If your going to be a "Lazy Paladin" then don't play the job at all, your only hurting yourself and everyone else you'd be doing stuff with.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camaroz
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2012-03-28 18:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Evildemon said: »
If your going to be a "Lazy Paladin" then don't play the job at all, your only hurting yourself and everyone else you'd be doing stuff with.

This ^^ what is it national retard day?
[+]
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-03-28 18:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nekonarf said: »
Requiescat would out perform both of those ws's on anything Lv.80 content or higher, cause they resist the *** out of Atonement, and Vorpal Blade is hardly impressive compared to it.

Legion and holding adds in Voidwatch, I'd hate to see the results of a group that would go into Legion without an Aegis PLD, considering everything in there casts nukes that near 1 shot any DD in a proper MDT set, at least that we experienced.

quite an exaggeration but you arent gonna hold these things with a seigeneur's shield :(
[+]
 Bismarck.Markas
Server: Bismarck
user: Markas83
By Bismarck.Markas 2012-03-28 18:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
Ragnarok.Nekonarf said: »

quite an exaggeration but you arent gonna hold these things with a seigeneur's shield :(
my seigeneur's shield looks like a hylian shield, what about that?
 Asura.Fondue
By Asura.Fondue 2012-03-28 18:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

do you have a red tunic?
 Phoenix.Evildemon
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Evildemon 2012-03-28 18:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camaroz said: »
Phoenix.Evildemon said: »

This ^^ what is it national retard day?

Nope everyday is national retard day on ffxi. I had some guy in dynamis critiquing my bst(no perle) which I only use for dynamis farming. He's like blah blah your gimp and make us bst lovers look bad and other trash talking. He was just mad because he came to crawlers which supports one person and he had a mob and wanted a 2nd when it was only the two up lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Markas
By Bismarck.Markas 2012-03-28 18:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Fondue said: »
do you have a red tunic?
where do i get said tunic?
 Asura.Fondue
By Asura.Fondue 2012-03-28 18:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Markas
By Bismarck.Markas 2012-03-28 18:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i just cant see myself in taru...
By lilcratis 2012-03-28 18:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm the laziest PLD...i want a rdm for refresh, whm for cures, and sum1 with voke to keep hate off me.J/K...but if you have no intention of making an almace,aegis, or ochain...then you're already a fail PLD...may as well not even bother leveling the job.
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-03-28 18:51:34
Link | Quote | Reply

lilcratis said: »
i'm the laziest PLD...i want a rdm for refresh, whm for cures, and sum1 with voke to keep hate off me.J/K...but if you have no intention of making an almace,aegis, or ochain...then you're already a fail PLD...may as well not even bother leveling the job.
working on both shields atm and i still do well with just a weathering and castellans :< cant wait for Adamas and crystal sword to come out :<
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-03-28 18:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not fail, you just have even less limited utility. PLD as it currently is, is a safety net. Once you take the training wheels off, it's really not needed at all. It's situational based on the comfort level of the group and new content.
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2012-03-28 18:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Anything that needs Paladin to bloodtank it is probably out of a half-assed Paladin's league to begin with.

This ^

I have Almace Ochain and Excalibur... and I never get to use my Pld for anything. I go into abyssea and solo NMs for fun, go into dynamis and kill things... slowly... Paladin will always be my first love, but everything is better than it now.
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2012-03-28 19:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The obvious answer is to equip an Earth Staff, and rotate SMNs in for Aerial Armor.
/DRK so you can Stun to generate hate and keep yourself alive with a timely Drain.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celille
Server: Leviathan
user: Celille
By Leviathan.Celille 2012-03-28 19:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
The obvious answer is to equip an Earth Staff, and rotate SMNs in for Aerial Armor.
/DRK so you can Stun to generate hate and keep yourself alive with a timely Drain.

2006 called, they want their strategy back.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2012-03-28 19:29:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hence why I said it.
I figure if he's gonna half-*** it, we'll bring back some half-assed strats from the days of yore.

/getoffmylawn

edit: I can't spell and didn't realize you caught my sarcasm.
/derp
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2012-03-28 19:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time back in the day where you could PLD without a relic/emp w/e but now for the little things you need a PLD for they need at least an Ochain/Aegis and an Almace certainly doesn't hurt.

If you're gonna half-arse PLD don't expect to do anything remotely challenging and maybe just have a bit of fun with it.
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Server: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-03-28 19:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I laughed at getting 1-shotted by Legion in full MDT.
 Asura.Fondue
By Asura.Fondue 2012-03-28 19:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rearden said: »

yeah the monsters magic wasnt a big deal at all, getting double attacked by the turtle with 2 unblocked hits for 700 each kind of was

lolaegis
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2012-03-28 19:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Ladyrikku
user: LadyRikku
By Odin.Ladyrikku 2012-03-28 19:50:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Stay in campaign is your safest bet.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Enuyasha
Server: Carbuncle
user: Enuyasha
By Carbuncle.Enuyasha 2012-03-29 03:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

how does one do such thing :<