Best dagger for thief
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-01-04 17:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

119 mandau knocks your socks off because mercy stroke is pretty neat. Even with no attack buffs at all, my mercy stroke does anywhere from 2.3k to 3.5k against D/AAs. If you're going to leave it at 99 mandau, then don't bother.
[+]
By Arziet 2014-01-04 18:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you soloing MS? I was reading stacked Rudras was very strong? and Evis solo is the strongest.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-01-04 18:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

dancing edge should beat evisceration most of the time, except abyssea
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-01-04 18:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course I'm not solo'ing Mercy Stroke.

Rudra does approximately 85% of the damage Mercy can do when geared appropriately. It's no slouch, but Mercy is definitively better.

As a THF, you kinda have to accept the fact that you'll never have a good solo WS against anything meaningful. On the flip side, Mercy really does put out some impressive numbers in low atk situation due to the forced crit and high amounts of crit damage bonus.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-01-04 19:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »
If you steal mighty strikes, would it be worth switching to exent for a second?
exenterator at 5/5 is better. but if he's using evis, i assume he doesn't have exenterator
By Refia1 2014-01-04 19:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

exenterator at 5/5 is better. but if he's using evis, i assume he doesn't have exenterator

Ok how is Dancing Edge better?
By Arziet 2014-01-04 19:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have all the thf ws and mandau on main. and have all besides relic on mule. just from what I have seen on sheets and parse in lower content (Pre-seekers) getting best results with evis.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2014-01-04 19:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Refia1 said: »

Ok how is Dancing Edge better?
it does more damage?

Post deleted by User.
By Refia1 2014-01-04 20:20:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think so
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-04 20:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think so

You don't think what? And since when does personal preference change the nature of reality?
By Refia1 2014-01-04 20:29:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when does baseless claim make something a fact? If it is better why are there better results in spreadsheet with Evis.
By Arziet 2014-01-04 20:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Double checked my sheet I had Exen set to 1/4 O.o. but played anyway.
Seems if you only have exen 1/5; Dancing edge wins under 107 content while evisceration pulls ahead beyond that. I rarely play Thf in Delve so I make most sets for under that content.

However if you have 5/5 Exen it pulls ahead in everything up to Qilin, then falls on Tojil. Which is great news for me not realizing I made my sets with sheet set @1/5. "The more you know..." Solo Exen 5/5 full time for all my farming.

Sorry for the mistake.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-04 20:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Since when does baseless claim make something a fact? If it is better why are there better results in spreadsheet with Evis.

You are gearing DE wrong? Keep in mind, stacked DE also beats evis basically all the time.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-01-26 08:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Never any love for Vajra ; ;

Significantly under utilized weapon

SATA Mandalic Stab!

Seriously though +30% damage to sneak attack as well as trick attack.. and +30% damage to Mandalic stab.. (stats might be off a little)

With all the stat vomit on gear I'm surprised no one is using this weapon. Or at least no NA players. For endgame content, where thf struggles, this weapon would probably provide the most utility. (since damage for end game thf shouldn't be the main focus)

Someone should really get around to testing this out.. Or at the very least setting up a spreadsheet. I would but I am sending this from my iPhone at the airport.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-01-26 12:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
Someone should really get around to testing this out.. Or at the very least setting up a spreadsheet. I would but I am sending this from my iPhone at the airport.
It's been tested on the test server and spreadsheeted plenty. That is why you don't see them.
[+]
 Shiva.Ladyofhonor
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ladyofhonor 2014-01-27 05:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
For endgame content, where thf struggles, this weapon would probably provide the most utility. (since damage for end game thf shouldn't be the main focus)

Which content is THF struggling in? I kick all sorts of *** in delve and AA fights on my THF. I even changed to -enmity merits because I'm tanking wayyyyyy too much. Still don't have my best offhand, using 119 Mandau and either Atoyac or Eminent in offhand.
By Arziet 2014-01-27 06:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw a few strats for AA mentioning a Thf/nin along with Rngs for DPS balance. Kinda of old school, sticking the tank the whole time. Is this even possible in the higher difficult settings with out getting ripped apart? I can see the value of Thf for keeping hate on pld, allowing rngs to do more damage, putting out decent DPS, and now that SE announced TH will effect item pool. I am just not sure it is fully possible.

How many kick ars thfs out their are doing this, successfully.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-01-27 06:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I really want to know how people do it.

First SAMercy, everything's fine.
Second SAMercy, it turns to me, couple of swings in and a WS will bring me into the red, but it'll turn away eventually.
Third SAMercy, it turns to me and stays glued to me until I die.

TAWS inbetween each SAMercy, of course; and there are RNGs decoy'ing onto the PLD. I turn, PDT on and do what I can with shadows, but Rampage don't care about Scherzo. Neither does Vorpal Blade, Dragon Fall, Guillotine, etc. I could always not SAWS and only TAWS, but last time I did that, we timed out and I only did about 60% of the damage the RNG did (VD EV); can't say I'm pulling my weight if I do that. Much to the dismay of my LS, I'm really trying to make this work, but I can't seem to. Other than bringing a second 3/4 song BRD and singing Minne along with DD songs, I don't know what else I can do.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [119 days between previous and next post]
By Ravenn42 2014-05-26 10:07:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously having a good pld helps but you should also make use of all thf tools. Accomplice and collaborator TAws to start and SAws after until it's up again.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-05-27 10:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Josiahfk said: »
Or you could just bully SA TA AC WS every time bully is up instead of willingly taking all that SAWS enmity for no reason the whole fight.

Starting a fight with a AC SATA mercy stroke would be fun. (Or feint-> exten in my case)
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
I could always not SAWS and only TAWS, but last time I did that, we timed out and I only did about 60% of the damage the RNG did (VD EV); can't say I'm pulling my weight if I do that..
quotewarz
 Asura.Roczilla
Server: Asura
user: Roczilla
By Asura.Roczilla 2014-06-23 17:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just TAWS everytime its up. SATAWS when bully is up, SA only when its not and wear TH gear for chance at proc.
 Bahamut.Chrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Chrius2
By Bahamut.Chrius 2014-06-25 10:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
Obviously having a good pld helps but you should also make use of all thf tools. Accomplice and collaborator TAws to start and SAws after until it's up again.
Just burned THF up and trying to learn. From how I read the wiki, Accomplice and Collaborator will just add hate to the THF which is what we don't want?

That does make sense to me if Trick Attack transfers built up hate on hit, but the way I read wiki is that it only transfers the next attack's hate
 Bahamut.Scizor
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-06-25 10:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm fairly sure it transfers all the thief's hate to the TA target, i'm no thief so I could be wrong
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-06-25 10:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only the enmity created by the attack while TA is active.
 Bahamut.Chrius
By Bahamut.Chrius 2014-06-25 11:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ravenn42 said: »
Not trying to be a jerk, just making sure I get mechanics straight so we can all be better thieves. Is the accomplice and collaborator bits not correct here for getting hate from you to the pld?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-06-25 11:16:54
Link | Quote | Reply

No its correct as Jassik said. The point of using A/C is to "Enmity Douse", if you will, the members of the party who have accumulated significant hate (such as the RNGs). The Trick Attack after does not then transfer the 50%/25% of the hate you just stole - it only transfers the hate from the Trick Attack itself. The point of the move is to eliminate the hate buildup on the DDs over time, snce THF can generally transfer their hate every minute to the Paladin. So really, the THF is providing a service to the DDs and the PLD.
 Bahamut.Chrius
By Bahamut.Chrius 2014-06-25 12:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

OK, I was reading a literal open the fight with Accomplice or Collaborator instead of post DD hate gain. Help keep DD low on enmity, and as separate action keep tank high. Thanks all
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16