Gear Sets Help
 Bismarck.Nooblet
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: djtickle
By Bismarck.Nooblet 2012-02-27 08:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi All,

could anyone post up some gear sets examples? Im new to smn and wanna see how I should be rolling :)

Thanks
By Atsuke 2012-02-28 17:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Other people may have different ideas but these are my sets for the most part. If you are having a hard time getting some of these pieces you could also look to ACP Body and MKE head pieces as they have some augments that make them decent place holders until you can get something better. Also if you bp in the sacrifice torque make sure you macro it back out afterwards, you'll only ever do it once but you will feel like a jackass when you kill yourself with it at a linkshell event because you forgot to take it off ;)

Idle set between bp's just switch out the staff for the corresponding avatar.
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/250513

Magic BP
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/250516

Predator Claws. Other physical bp's just use Caller's horn +2 instead of the Garuda Headband
http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/250518
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
Server: Lakshmi
user: Mahoro577
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2012-03-05 12:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Atsuke's sets look good. I would only add with the Idle set to idle in another Body since Empy +2 doesn't give Refresh. There are quite a few choices: YYR, Pluviale, a Dominion Trophy body with Refresh, or replace both the Horn and Body and roll with a Nefer Khat(+1)/Heka Kalasiris combo.

Also, for idling, I recommend a Witful Belt and Impatiens combo for Quick Magic build. Insta-cast avatars are nice when it procs ^^
 Siren.Inuyushi
Server: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2012-03-05 12:43:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Atsuke said: »
Other people may have different ideas but these are my sets for the most part. If you are having a hard time getting some of these pieces you could also look to ACP Body and MKE head pieces as they have some augments that make them decent place holders until you can get something better. Also if you bp in the sacrifice torque make sure you macro it back out afterwards, you'll only ever do it once but you will feel like a jackass when you kill yourself with it at a linkshell event because you forgot to take it off ;)

Idle set between bp's just switch out the staff for the corresponding avatar.

Magic BP

Predator Claws. Other physical bp's just use Caller's horn +2 instead of the Garuda Headband

Fix'd
[+]
By Atsuke 2012-03-11 12:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

@inuyushi: thanks for the fix. As you can see from my post count I have never posted here before. Tried for like 20 minutes to figure out the gear sets thing. How do you get them to display like that?
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2012-03-12 17:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Look below the reply section at the "Sample BBCode" section, it'll show you.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [34 days between previous and next post]
By mjrtarget 2012-04-15 11:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

may I ask why the Moonshade Earring. I looked it up on Wiki and it doesn't say that that the augments passes to avatars. Is there a synergy augment or something I am not seeing?

Thank you!
By Nanabi 2012-04-15 12:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

having a tick MP at constant rate (presuming you don't beat mobs with your staff) is better than not having it, and since there's only a few choice for earrings on SMN (SE hates us), Moonshade is a sit in gear for one earring slot IMO.
By mjrtarget 2012-04-15 20:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank for clearing that up for me.
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2012-04-16 09:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When Legion becomes more accessible to people, you'll want to switch from Moonshade to Esper Earring for your BP Rage macros. And then switch back to Moonshade for perp. But ya, right now nobody has discovered which chamber the Esper Earring drops.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [47 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Chronictreets
Server: Ragnarok
user: Findogast
By Ragnarok.Chronictreets 2012-06-02 20:16:25
Link | Quote | Reply

quick question. What is a decent earring choice for people like me who have Moonshade earring augmented with TP bonus for dd jobs?

Thanks in advance
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2012-06-07 12:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The best SMN earrings come from ACP7 (the Fei'Yin battle). You can get all the standard stats for your avatar on those earrings (accuracy, attack, evasion, magic acc, magic atk). The fight is really easy at 99, even soloable with a little experience.

I haven't managed to get a decent Pet:Acc earring yet, so I idle in my Moonshade plus a Pet:Attack+5 ruby earring.

Of course, there's always Summoning Earring & Gifted Earring. Esper Earring was also recently discovered, but good luck getting one. Drops from Veiled Ironclad in Legion. Assuming it drops from the one in Hall of Mul as well, I'm like 0/7 on it so far...
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2012-06-14 09:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Good Neo-Limbus feet out today:

Shedir Crackows
DEF:29 "Blood Boon"+3
Enhances "Magic Attack Bonus"
Increases "Blood Pact" damage

Unfortunately, they have given short shrift to almost every other piece in Neo-Limbus and the event will likely go untouched by the majority of people. Certainly by many other mage jobs who would normally be the ones doing Arch-Ultima. So I'm looking for a reason not to care about this piece! Summoner's Pigaches +2 or Zenith Pumps with MAB better?

99 sets can be updated with stuff like Esper Earring, Ngen Seraweels, and this piece perhaps. They do love their new "Increases Blood Pact damage" stat...
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-06-14 10:01:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you mind linking where you got the item info? On a bit of a break but would not mind seeing what (if any) awesome gear arrived.
 Lakshmi.Mahoro
By Lakshmi.Mahoro 2012-06-14 10:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/111230-6-13-12-Update-.DAT-Mining-Findings
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-06-14 10:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks ^^
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [50 days between previous and next post]
By Fogoazul 2012-08-03 20:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone please clarify for me which magian staff this vayuvata III is please?
 Bismarck.Sesshomaru
By Bismarck.Sesshomaru 2012-08-05 16:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fogoazul said: »
Can someone please clarify for me which magian staff this vayuvata III is please?

It's the final reward for the Perpetuation staff trials. Vayuvata III is Garuda's.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-09-15 07:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure that Shedir Crackows would win in both cases; but I'm curious to know:

1) if Summoner's Pigaches +2 beats Shedir Crackows for *Physical* Bloodpacts [I doubt anyone has tested this because it's a massive time sink to test].

&

2) if Zenith Pumps +1 (w/ 5 Pet MAB) beats Shedir Crackows for *Magical* Bloodpacts. [This is a easy/feasible test though].
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-09-15 10:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shedir will easily beat pigaches +2 unless the "enhances avatar attack" has been altered to actually make a notable difference, if noone has tested avatar attack properly again and with the new attack pieces before I finish up obtaining smn gear I'd happily do it myself.

A lot of people seem to make claims about avatar attack gear and how much they increase damage by without backing it up, such as comments saying each piece adds 10% attack which is hard to believe and just sounds like pure eyeballin'.

Yeah, testing magic attack/damage comparisons are considerably easier than testing physical attack for avatars, but if it's true that Shedir has +3% BP damage that already beats zenith, say your magic BP is doing 2500 that's adding 75 more damage before the "enhances avatar mab".
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [36 days between previous and next post]
By ryujinsephy 2012-10-21 12:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

What about an ideal Alexander gear set? I know Perfect Defense will get nerfed in future update, but curious what the ideal set for it would be.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-21 13:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

There isnt one really since PDs duration is based on mp and nothing else summon him with 900mp and you get the max duration. Odin on the other hand is based on smn skill (i think it adds accuracy), NMs hp% and mp% nice doing 5k+ to vw mobs probably more on lower tier nms.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2012-10-21 14:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure it's your level x12 for the amount of MP you need for PD to be full. You would need 1188mp at level 99, not 900mp.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-10-21 14:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
Pretty sure it's your level x12 for the amount of MP you need for PD to be full. You would need 1188mp at level 99, not 900mp.

^ This is correct
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/107984-New-Perfect-Defense-finding?p=4903208&viewfull=1#post4903208
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-21 14:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Well thats news to my anyhow every smn should have more mp than that when at full and at 99.