Questions: Doing Some Research.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Questions: Doing some Research.
Questions: Doing some Research.
 Sylph.Elgorian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2012-02-20 05:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Just starting out on SMN and trying to figure out what kind of gear sets I'll need.

1)Idle With Avatar
2)Idle No Avatar
3)BP Delay-
4)Pet: MAB/Attack/Acc sets depending on BP etc
5)Summoning Gear

Just wondering if I'm on the right track

1) Idle With Avatar:

PDT- Move Speed + on pants, seems like a good choice for kiting purposes while keep perp down, didn't really see any perp down options for leg slot.

2) Idle No Avatar:

Refresh on body.

3) BP Delay-:

4) Pet: MAB/Attack/Acc:

Honestly, not sure where to start on these, obviously MAB+ for Magic based BP's Attack/Acc for physical and Blood Boon where I can squeeze it in without sacrificing power?
Any suggestions or ideas to point me in the right direction would be welcome.

5) Summoning Gear:

Not entirely sure what's best to put in this, I imagine spell intteruption / occ. quickens / haste is all good to have, after that though not sure what to toss in summoning magic skill? M/PDT-?

Questions/Comments:

1) A lot of the summoner specific pieces I don't have yet, but I just wanna make sure I have the right idea about what I'm needing.
2) As far as grips go what are some good choices? Would prefer not to bog inventory down too far with a lot of grips but 3-4 is fine if needed.
3) As far as staves I was most likely only going to carry Fey / Soulscourge / Terra's for PDT- and prolly use for Titan since it will be on me and the PDT is always handy.
4) Also yes, those that may be looking at my profile my SMN is currently 8, but I like doing research prior to starting up a job (Tarutaru mule Level 41 SMN ages ago though)
5) Also I have not yet obtained moonshade earring, I have MNK, PLD, WHM, BLM that I play the most, so possibility of going with MP/Refresh if I do a mage moonshade to keep in mind for the idle sets.

Can't really think of anything else I'd like to ask about or comment on as of now, just wanna get some feedback.

Appreciate any and all input ^^
 Bahamut.Darkelv
Server: Bahamut
user: Darkelv
By Bahamut.Darkelv 2012-02-20 06:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Elgorian said: »
1) Idle With Avatar:

PDT- Move Speed + on pants, seems like a good choice for kiting purposes while keep perp down, didn't really see any perp down options for leg slot.

if you don't need the movement speed+ then why not use

and wouldn't

be better then

without Favor up as it has perp-3?
 Sylph.Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2012-02-20 06:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, yeah XD the perp on summoners would be better assuming favor down, was thinking the fresh would be good but -3 would be better than 2 fresh (I think).

Yeah, those pants would work, seemed to overlook them.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 07:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

With a -3 perp fay crozier, that set+augur's brais you should have at least 1mp/tic refresh using caller's horn +2,(Edit) or summoner's horn +2 without augur's brais should also net 1mp/tic from auto refresh II. You'll want to use caller's +2 when you can have the full 2mp/tic refresh from it for definite though.
Edit2: you can also throw in serp hands at night for an extra refresh.

For magic BPs I came up with this set for maximum damage

2x Diamond earring with pet: mab +2 each, altius mantle with pet mab +2, avatar mab+5 pumps and 99 shareeravadi, When legion comes out, I would add the enhances blood pact damage earring to that.

For grips you can get away with just using vox grip to save inventory, I usually have staff strap for idle and macro vox in.
 Bahamut.Darkelv
By Bahamut.Darkelv 2012-02-20 07:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said: »
With a -3 perp fay crozier, that set+augur's brais you should have at least 1mp/tic refresh using caller's horn +2

Don't that depend on the avatar up?
That set would give Avater Perpetuation Cost -12 and Refresh +2 (without hands/neck)

corresponding to:
Avater Perpetuation Cost

you should have 2 tic refresh with carby (cost 11MP/tic)
1 tic refresh with fenrir (cost 13MP/tic)
-1 tic refresh to avatar/diabolos (cost 15MP/tick)

without hands/neck beeing active and caller's horn +2, if I understand it right.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 07:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Darkelv said: »
Siren.Kunimatsu said: »
With a -3 perp fay crozier, that set+augur's brais you should have at least 1mp/tic refresh using caller's horn +2

Don't that depend on the avatar up?
That set would give Avater Perpetuation Cost -12 and Refresh +2 (without hands/neck)

corresponding to:
Avater Perpetuation Cost

you should have 2 tic refresh with carby (cost 11MP/tic)
1 tic refresh with fenrir (cost 13MP/tic)
-1 tic refresh to avatar/diabolos (cost 15MP/tick)

without hands/neck beeing active and caller's horn +2, if I understand it right.

I just edited it because summoner's horn +2 would also give 1mp/tic refresh from auto refresh II, I counted auto refresh I and II before counting what's on the head, meaning callers horn +2 would give -16 (Or -15 and +1 refresh.)

That set (without augurs) and summoner's horn +2 would give -14 perp, since "-perpetuation cost" caps at -1, so auto refresh 1 would make the avatar free and auto refresh II gives 1mp/tic.

This is for celestials/diabolos.
 Bahamut.Darkelv
By Bahamut.Darkelv 2012-02-20 07:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My understanding was with this set:

you get perp-12 + refresh+4 (2 from head and 2 from auto) meaning with for example Garuda up (cost 15MP/tick) you get 1 tic refresh.

and with this set:

you get perp-15 + refresh+2 (2 from auto) meaning with for example Garuda up (cost 15MP/tick) you get 2 tic refresh.

Something from with that?
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 08:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You can never get auto refresh 1 to give refresh outside of astral flow, (which sets perp cost to 0) no matter how much -perp you have, because of perpetuation cost capping at -1, auto refresh 1 will only cancel that out and make an avatar free.
 Bahamut.Darkelv
By Bahamut.Darkelv 2012-02-20 08:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, that I understand. Thank you very much for clarifying that! /bow
 Bahamut.Darkelv
By Bahamut.Darkelv 2012-02-20 08:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to see if I understood it.
So an optimal Carby set for example would be something like this?

would give perp-4 and atleast refresh+4 (head 2, body 1, auto 1) and sometimes refresh+5 if feet kick in.
Carby cost would be 5MP with hands (11 without).
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 09:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

would give perp-4 and atleast refresh+4 (head 2, body 1, auto 1) and sometimes refresh+5 if feet kick in.

Yes, my carby set is like that and gives constant 4mp/tic.
By Latifah 2012-02-20 10:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

why pluviale? af3+2 body haves refresh+2 tics
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 10:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Latifah said: »

why pluviale? af3+2 body haves refresh+2 tics

Perp -4, not refresh.
By Latifah 2012-02-20 10:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm i tho all af3+2 bodies gave refresh
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-02-20 10:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

No
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2012-02-20 11:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninjas does
[+]
 Sylph.Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2012-02-20 18:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Hm, was just now thinking about this, would the gloves/neck trigger with /sch weather spells?
 Siren.Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2012-02-20 18:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Elgorian said: »
Hm, was just now thinking about this, would the gloves/neck trigger with /sch weather spells?

Yep.
 Asura.Pergatory
Server: Asura
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2012-02-22 10:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest making a build that doesn't rely on gloves/head perp. It's too much of a pain and you won't always be able to do it. Best way to do that is to start on the magian perpetuation staves which have perp -7.

I have Garuda/Shiva/Ramuh staves done, and it lets me use this idle build:

Note that while I'm wearing the AF3+2 hands, I'm only doing so for the accuracy and not using them for the perpetuation. Moonshade Earring has Refresh+1, and I thus get 4mp/tick refresh with any of the 3 above avatars out. Being able to swap Caller's Doublet +2 for Summoner's Doublet +2 was a nice little gain for crit rate on normal attacks. It's especially nice in Abyssea if you have Razed Ruins up.

When I'm using a different avatar, I use Bahamut's Staff (same perp as Fay) along with Caller's Doublet +2 & Nashira Gages. I think I end up with 3 MP/tick instead of 4, as well as losing the accuracy from AF3+2 hands and the Crit Rate from relic+2 body.