Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Merits
Merits
 Sylph.Elgorian
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Elgorian
By Sylph.Elgorian 2012-02-06 01:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

About time to get around to meriting Dragoon, and been doing some research on merits and other things.

With the upcoming adjustments in mind what would be considered best merits to go for?

Ones that look good in group 1:

Jump/High Jump Recasts
Spirit Link also looks like a decent one to merit for the TP from wyvern more often and Empathy (if that path is taken in group 2)

As far as group 2 goes:

At least one in Angon for voidwatch purposes, and defense down is never a bad thing.
As far as the other choices not really sure what I'd go with, Empathy looks pretty nice but I was reading it glitches up with pro/shell so with 3 merits would only one thing transfer if I had pro/shell up?

My immediate thoughts on things, looking for suggestions from people. Appreciate it, thanks.
By Foldypaws 2012-02-06 10:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Jump/High Jump 5/5. Spirit Link isn't worth it, and is getting reduced to 90s in a patch anyway.

Group 2: 1 in Empathy, 1 in Deep Breathing, 5/5 in Angon, whatever with the other 3.

I'm 4/5 Deep Breathing atm, but might switch out after the group 2 merit changes to make it 5:00 timer regardless of merits.
 Valefor.Rancor
Server: Valefor
user: Rancoor
By Valefor.Rancor 2012-02-06 11:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say depends on your play style
I was a drg at 75 and it was my second job lvl, so my merits are more for old school soloing which now is pretty much obsolete

5/5 Super jump: Saves you and the timers on other jumps reduce such a low amount unless you just jump to jump and not for TP they are nearly pointless imo

5/5 Spirit Link: Only way to keep your pet alive, and if you are /mage its an amazing way to get TP

1 Deep breathing: Better healing breath in emergency and can help varry proc in VW

5/5 Angon: Use to be a must. Eventually this will be needed again when people start playing the way they use to because abyssea antics no longer will hold up it seems

2 empath 2 strafe: Loldrg. Might look into these more depening on how they add DRGs 2hr now. Were w/e when call wyvern was the 2hr so I just pu them where ever.

sorry for any spelling/gram errors -.- 2 hours of sleep waiting for clas to start @U@b woo
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-02-06 11:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 Jump/High Jump (You should not need lower recast on Super Jump, using it reduces your dot and if you are good, your enmity will cap quickly again regardless.)

For group 2 I did:
1 Deep Breathing (nice to have for emergencies)
5 Angon (is there any other way?)
4 Empathy (because strafe is worthless, and empathy can be useful)

Also, with the new change to empathy, it sounds like your wyvern will level up when you Spirit Link base on your empathy merits.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-02-06 11:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Foldypaws said: »
Jump/High Jump 5/5. Spirit Link isn't worth it, and is getting reduced to 90s in a patch anyway.

Group 2: 1 in Empathy, 1 in Deep Breathing, 5/5 in Angon, whatever with the other 3.

I'm 4/5 Deep Breathing atm, but might switch out after the group 2 merit changes to make it 5:00 timer regardless of merits.
Pretty much this. I was 5/5 angon/DB then moved my last 4 deep breathing over to empathy once the cure breath JA was added. Just preference at this point after angon maxed.

Also get the +2 relic gloves and do the EXP upgrade for angon. Additional 1% def down effect per upgrade, so 5/5 goes from 20% -def to 25% with 5/5 angon and 1:30 duration. Very, very good.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [82 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Angeleus
Server: Bismarck
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2012-04-28 07:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for necro, but angon still worth meriting cuz all i do is exp and other fun stuff.
 Shiva.Galbir
Server: Shiva
user: galbir
By Shiva.Galbir 2012-04-28 08:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If you do anything that your attack isn't capped on it is. Vw , Legion, Adl etc
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2012-04-28 08:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Angeleus said: »
Sorry for necro, but angon still worth meriting cuz all i do is exp and other fun stuff.
Really depends on what you will be using DRG for, I guess.
Also, how you play it (more solo, more in small groups, etc.)

But if there is only a small chance that you fight tougher content, such as mentioned, you should have Angon available, yes.

Furthermore, it's a trigger in Voidwatch, so if you're looking to do that with your DRG, you will certainly need it as well.

That said, the other merit options aren't too great anyway, apart from Deep Breathing.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2012-04-28 09:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont play DRG alot but i got the 1 in angon just incase
5/5 deep breathing
1/5 angon
4/5 empathy
for me
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-04-28 16:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 Angon
4/5 Empathy
1/5 Deep Breathing

That's what I have. I find if you have a good Healing Breath set you won't even receive the full benefit of Deep Breathing most of the time.
(Maybe if you're Galka/Elvaan)
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-04-28 19:48:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Deep breathing is really overkill between 800+. breaths 1k+ with exp. They are also changing it so 1pt=5min recast next update. Anton 5/5 is just so irreplaceable. No other ja can give such a consistent and huge (25%) -def. No resist. Instant. Up 50% of the time. Deep breathing just doesn't have much oomph when you can already cure 800+ with both spell and ja. Unless the new update does something besides moar hp cured I dont see the point. Angon 4lyfe.