users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » WoE CDC
WoE CDC
 Bahamut.Colonelace
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 21:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

hello everyone now that i finally finished my aegis and all the dynamis trials that were needed to get it to 95(when is 99 comming >.<) i was going to start working on sword after i put some money in my pocket again. Now the question is... is the WoE CDC worth making ad a temporary sword? The reason i ask is because i can solo briareus with kannagi nin but Sobek if i get death'ed there goes that pop if someone comes and snatches it also i don't want to bother my friends with helping me since empyreans is the last think we want to do after making so many. If not then what is a good sword to use in the mean time because right now im using joytoy with en-light for over all DoT and spam vorpal or atonement depending the mob and stuff. All advice is welcomed, Thank you :)

Edit: By sword i mean Excalibur just incase someone is like O.o what sword?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2012-01-20 22:03:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly unless you have the coins lined up and really don't care to get some people to PUG Sobeks, the WoE will always be the harder option to finish.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kut
Server: Fenrir
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-01-20 22:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Almace is typically better than Excalibur(afaik) and easier to make than the WoE CDC sword.

Death only kills you if Tyrant Tusk's damage brings your HP under 50% so it's not too hard to avoid unless you have no HP in Abyssea or your healer sucks and Blizzaga IV > Tyrant Tusk gets you. But it's pretty avoidable and you can typically find a spot where there's no people in case you do get KOed.

I'm pretty sure there's 1 WHM friend who you can ask for help, though. You could even shout for one?
 Siren.Seiri
Server: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-01-20 22:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

CDC is CDC, in most cases it'll be better than anything that isn't CDC. Saying that, requiescat is fairly strong as a stand in, and easily beats atonement and vorpal outside. Added bonus is that it ignores physical resistances, in pil's case her shield etc.

As far as the ease of getting badelaire vs almace, I would honestly tell you that from my experience, the drop rate on glory coins is shocking at best, and on my server at least, so few people do WoE anymore to make it viable. Even while doing a WoE spam when it was popular enough to win, but low enough numbers to always cap participation, I would wager the time sink of briar/sobek barely, if at all greater than WoE coins.

As far as briar goes, as a NIN you should have no issue on that score. Sobek isn't a solo target reliably, but it does drop several +2 items, which many people - noobs and not - still need/want. Entice a whm, thf and maybe a blm from shouts in PJ, or even just a thf interested in the lot of single drops, and sobek becomes MUCH more managable.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

well thing is it would be hypocritical of me to always talk about how dumb people can be to do a PUG and take what i always seen as the real valuable item while others fight for +2 items that might not finish a set for someone, and then to go and be the one shouting for a PUG to do the same ive always spoken ill about. so PUG is out and i dont mind if it can be solo'ed to farm the coins for fake cdc :-/

Edit: new comments by time i finished typing lol ummm... well i have requiescat atm and its what i use at times still need a stronger build. Also if staying above 50% is what i need to worry about those AoE on a PLD should not be hard to take little dmg from with an Aegis and as far as briareus i know hes easy i already have 10/50 helms i solo'ed as nin/dnc since kannagi blade hi makes him such a joke to burn through.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-01-20 22:12:00
Link | Quote | Reply

An aegis pld can do a lot of things. Find a friend who needs help with something and then have them help with sobek in return. Or just take the losses as they come and continue to do it yourself. I can't imagine an aegis pld having too much trouble with that though. Have you tried it yet keeping in mind you need to keep your hp high?
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-01-20 22:13:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Colonelace said: »
well thing is it would be hypocritical of me to always talk about how dumb people can be to do a PUG and take what i always seen as the real valuable item while others fight for +2 items that might not finish a set for someone, and then to go and be the one shouting for a PUG to do the same ive always spoken ill about. so PUG is out and i dont mind if it can be solo'ed to farm the coins for fake cdc :-/

Tbh with you, I usually find it easier to find people wanting to claim 1 +2 drop than I do to find people wanting the emp drops. Not always mind.

Honestly though, if WoE sword is your only option for CDC, and Excalibur is a set-in-stone objective, then dont bother. Make an occasionally attacks twice magian sword and merit requiescat 5/5.

Edit: I say don't bother because by the time you manage enough WoE runs to finish (if your server is anything like Siren atm), then you will have finished excal several months before.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

hav
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
An aegis pld can do a lot of things. Find a friend who needs help with something and then have them help with sobek in return. Or just take the losses as they come and continue to do it yourself. I can't imagine an aegis pld having too much trouble with that though. Have you tried it yet keeping in mind you need to keep your hp high?

No i havent tried a sobek on pld since aegis hit 95 a day ago and im fishing/dynamis to get some money to pay back a friend who lent me gil for final stage. after i pay him back is when i can focus on things i want to do and on my own dyna, but yea aegis lol made chione my little B*tch other day since i wanted to see if souls could be solo'ed if i really wanted to Brochain solo
 Lakshmi.Alryc
Server: Lakshmi
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-01-20 22:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can dualbox a Whm you should be able to handle Sobek no problem. The only issue would be keeping your HP above 50%. /war you should only be missing Freezebite Shadow of Death and Raiden Thrust (if you don't have a Pitchfork.) Other than that, you should be golden. Keep a brew handy just in case Tyrant Tusk wrecks you.

If not Almace then I dunno, PDT sword with Requiescat might not be too bad for PLD. OAT sword would be nice too, I guess but I imagine it'll take a while.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:19:31
Link | Quote | Reply

also was wondering how well can i AE farm on pld and if so what set to aim for and what mobs to pull since my 2 dark rings are meh and i got em on nin but single mob killing is so lvl 85 cap :-p
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-01-20 22:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Even without Ochain/Aegis AE cleaving on PLD is still fairly easy to do.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:22:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Alryc said: »
If you can dualbox a Whm you should be able to handle Sobek no problem. The only issue would be keeping your HP above 50%. /war you should only be missing Freezebite Shadow of Death and Raiden Thrust (if you don't have a Pitchfork.) Other than that, you should be golden. Keep a brew handy just in case Tyrant Tusk wrecks you.

If not Almace then I dunno, PDT sword with Requiescat might not be too bad for PLD. OAT sword would be nice too, I guess but I imagine it'll take a while.

I have pitchfork since the original Halloween that gave it away but i think i read nin/pld gets all but 2 ws for red i used to nin/war the briareus and ride temps if i neeeded a cure and atma's also i have atma of the einherjar if that can help out idk and as far as dualboxing goes i have a mule but macbook not being windows native i lag ALOT to the point i cant move any character so i had to deactivate my whm mule since no xbox (RROD)
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-01-20 22:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Alryc said: »

I have pitchfork since the original Halloween that gave it away but i think i read nin/pld gets all but 2 ws for red i used to nin/war the briareus and ride temps if i neeeded a cure and atma's also i have atma of the einherjar if that can help out idk and as far as dualboxing goes i have a mule but macbook not being windows native i lag ALOT to the point i cant move any character so i had to deactivate my whm mule since no xbox (RROD)

If you use RR/GH/MC (Mounted Champion) you can easily sub WAR and farm/kill Bria
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

yea 40 helms away now... to solo sobek lol i wonder if pld/dnc i can keep my hp above 50% at all times
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-01-20 22:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

also was wondering how well can i AE farm on pld and if so what set to aim for and what mobs to pull since my 2 dark rings are meh and i got em on nin but single mob killing is so lvl 85 cap :-p

Not quite sure what mobs you would want BUT.. You would want to aim for a martial knife and as much magic attack bonus gear as possible, and int/dex when you cant get MAB. Will toss together a set rq.

Obviously for tp phase you would just use your normal set.

/rdm ideal sub, access to aeolian edge, magic attack bonus T2 and aquaveil.
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-01-20 22:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

yea 40 helms away now... to solo sobek lol i wonder if pld/dnc i can keep my hp above 50% at all times

Likely better with pld/rdm and setting RR/MM/einherjar in my opinion. Fast cast, enspells, barspells - barparalyze helps a lot. Either that or /sch. Self RR, light arts and strategems - sublimation for a personal poison pot for sleepgas, access to -na spells...etc. Also light arts offers a sizable boost to phalanx strength.
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-01-20 22:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Seiri said: »

Not quite sure what mobs you would want BUT.. You would want to aim for a martial knife and as much magic attack bonus gear as possible, and int/dex when you cant get MAB. Will toss together a set rq.

Martial Knife can't be used on PLD, though. And MNK mobs are best because of the TP they feed you and low damage.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Likely better with pld/rdm and setting RR/MM/einherjar in my opinion. Fast cast, enspells, barspells - barparalyze helps a lot. Either that or /sch. Self RR, light arts and strategems - sublimation for a personal poison pot for sleepgas, access to -na spells...etc. Also light arts offers a sizable boost to phalanx strength.

one thing i wanted to do was try and solo shinryu no brew bu the person who posted a solo shot as pld/whm has no info to give or a video for me to watch and try it myself >.>
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:49:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kut said: »
Martial Knife can't be used on PLD, though. And MNK mobs are best because of the TP they feed you and low damage.

idk much of the mobs in abyss kon. all i can think of when u say mnk mob is goobbue but idk if that be a wise choice
 Siren.Seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-01-20 22:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kut said: »

My mistake, you are correct about the knife.

And konsch. has no mnk types that i am aware of, and as he mentioned wanting to farm dark rings - obvious conclusion.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-01-20 22:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd give it a try. Best way to figure out if you can do something is by just doing it. If you loose a pop, then ouch but you'll recover and probably find a better way.
 Bahamut.Colonelace
By Bahamut.Colonelace 2012-01-20 22:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

btw thanks for all the advice so far, thank god no one has made a comment like ALMACE ALL DAY EVERY DAY ALMACE>ALL!!! cus honestly i personally see myself holding a 99 relic in my hands before i have a 99 empyrean in it because as far as bahamut server goes plates @100k each looking at 150mil to go from 90-95 then who knows what 95-99 asks AND @150mil you have a relic sword and can just do WS/dynamis and have it 95/99 depending if update comes out soon. Also i have 37/75 horns i never put em into kannagi because i didnt want to do 2 90 weapons so never made a final decision
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [45 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2012-03-05 22:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Confirmed Sobek soloable by pld/dnc. Did it twice tonight,first time rr+savior+ss, 2nd time went for higher defense since he hits like a truck. rr+mc+stronghold. made a huge difference in dmg taken along with -pdt set
I suppose Ochain users might have it a bit easier though.
 Fenrir.Kut
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-03-05 23:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the confirmation, wasn't sure it was possible by anything other than a DNC.
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2012-03-17 07:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It's very soloable with that strategy. However it's slow as dirt too.
I will also mention I had Aegis and WoE +2 cdc so have a bit of an advantage over run of the mill Pld.

Side note: Almace (85) done!
along with Aegis in January :D

Edit: Now if they'll just make Pld more useful/desired for most content......
[+]