Have I Missed Something?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Have I missed something?
Have I missed something?
First Page 2 3 4
 Bismarck.Soranika
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Soranika
By Bismarck.Soranika 2011-09-25 12:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My main job has been SMN for years, being my only level 75 job well before the level cap had increased so I would like to think I got a decent grip on how to handle the job as to what people expect and then what I can do within the limits that I can enjoy. This applies to gear too, so why am I seeing all these new (I guess new lol) SMN wearing MAB and INT gear? I could almost understand if they were brewing in abyssea but... SMN don't brew and don't need to and I see this gear most frequently outside of abyssea in other stuff, like WoE.

Seriously have I missed something cause I see it and it makes me pretty embarrassed to see as a main SMN.
 Fenrir.Enternius
Server: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-09-25 12:19:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Twilight Cloak Impact nuking obviously.
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-09-25 12:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

MAB does nothing for a SMN unless the item says Avatar: MAB.

If they are wearing something like a Moldavite Earring its not doing ***for them.

But yeah, new Abyssea burned SMNs who didnt care enough to read up about their new job. Disregard them.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Soranika
By Bismarck.Soranika 2011-09-25 13:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the thing is, I've never actually seen a SMN with or even use a twilight cloak. Even more so, I haven't seen any SMN subbing SCH anymore so if they were using Twilight Cloak, Impact is a horrible waste of MP without mitigating the cost of it. I'm assuming that anyway.
 Bismarck.Yamimarikk
By Bismarck.Yamimarikk 2011-09-25 14:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes most SMN's(all the lulzy nub burned ppl) who do not care to understand the job think "Oh M.A.B. it's a mage stat! I have MP! I NEEDZ THIS STAT ALL OVER ME!" They then just go about their business like they just figured it out all right! No NO! BAD NUBS. You did it wrong /facepalm. The only reason you would ever want to see M.A.B. and INT stacked on a SMN is for the reasons listed already. You're bored and want to play on SMN/SCH and nuke w/ Impact or you're brewing and wana spam Cataclysm because you just found out staff was the blue proc!
By Mordryd 2011-09-27 04:37:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm, it may be less retardation-driven than you guys are assuming. I've just recently gotten my summoner up into levels that matter, and while I am working on better gear, there are just slots I don't have anything really useful for... And since I have a bunch of blm/blu gear sitting around anyways... Beats having nothing in the spot, sorta. Some of it has mp on?

*Shrugs* Yeah, I'd just assume summoner isn't really their main and they're plugging up gaps to feel less naked.

In other news, /facepalm self. I just remembered while typing this that a random nm I killed doing trials dropped an astral earring... That would be better than what I have for that slot, doi.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-09-27 08:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There's almost always a cheap piece of gear that does more for SMN than a MAB/INT piece (ie more than nothing.)

I'm absolutly astounded when I see new SMN using teal slops, when freaking evoker's spats, yes AF1 are vastly superior to it, even as a fulltime piece.

I would honestly prefer to see a smn not wear anything in a slot rather than something that has no benefit to the job whatsoever, unless it has at least some MP. At least then they look like they're still working on gear, not just look like they have no clue about the job :/

Bismarck.Soranika said: »
I haven't seen any SMN subbing SCH anymore.

I sub /sch on a regular basis <_<; I prefer it to /rdm lol
By Untouchablevoid 2011-09-27 08:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Stretch, but maybe they are geared for Cataclysm? I know INT affects it, but not so sure about MAB (thought I read that somewhere but can't remember). Maybe they are going out to try and hunt gold chests with amber lights and pearl?
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-27 08:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I could be getting "whoosed" here, but I don't think you're missing anything, OP.

Playing Summoner well has become a lost art. The Abyssea-era of FFXI reduced SMN to a solo-only type of job that few desire, few use, and even fewer play well.

New Walk of Echoes content, new KCNM/HKCNM fights, and new Voidwatch battles have created a renewed usefulness and renewed player interest in SMN. But a lot of the playerbase is really noobish with regard to SMN at this time.

Suffice it to say, generic "mage gear" is typically not well-suited to SMN.
[+]
By Untouchablevoid 2011-09-27 09:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
I could be getting "whoosed" here, but I don't think you're missing anything, OP. Playing Summoner well has become a lost art. The Abyssea-era of FFXI reduced SMN to a solo-only type of job that few desire, few use, and even fewer play well. New Walk of Echoes content, new KCNM/HKCNM fights, and new Voidwatch battles have created a renewed usefulness and renewed player interest in SMN. But a lot of the playerbase is really noobish with regard to SMN at this time. Suffice it to say, generic "mage gear" is typically not well-suited to SMN.

Not exactly gonna woosh ya, but at least it is a change from SMN main cure from way back when. Once SMn started getting the higher tier Bloodpacts it helped increase our versatility in the party setting. The only problem I've ever really run into during Abyssea as SMN is that I have to wait until we get all procures on NMs before I can even think about doing anything to the NM.

Then again, we do have some spots where we can shine, like on Bukhis while he does AoE everything, and it's nice to have pet sacrifices for practically nothing with all teh refresh atmas we have access to.

It is fun to Abyssea on SMN, but normally there are jobs that are better suited for NMs requiring staggers for seals/+2 items.

Edit: Forgot to mention Avatar Favors can be useful if you aren't really needed to do damage, so you can send your avatars in to grant party members effects while you do BloodPact Ward moves.
 Quetzalcoatl.Clydearrowny
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Clydearrowny 2011-09-27 09:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

If your atma is set for heavenly strike you can do some pretty respectable bliz II's as smn/sch now between bloodpacts. But yeah, I doubt that's what most of the people you've seen wearing +MAB were thinking about.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-27 09:56:25
Link | Quote | Reply

No doubt mages everywhere feel the same about your NQ Light Staff.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Equilibrium
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Equilibrium 2011-09-27 12:14:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN don't brew
SMN brews quite well actually.

What stuff are you referring to? Teal? If they're abyssea burnt they're not likely to be smn main and will use whatever gear thay have from other jobs.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2011-09-27 13:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

SMNs who sub RDM are gimps. SMNs brew really well indeed. What does it matter if you burn a job? Can have the skills capped within a week and go pro within the month.
By Untouchablevoid 2011-09-27 13:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said: »
SMNs who sub RDM are gimps. SMNs brew really well indeed. What does it matter if you burn a job? Can have the skills capped within a week and go pro within the month.

Even if you were to burn a SMN up to cap, you'd still have a "fun" time capping summoning magic (unless it truly has been confirmed that the new lvl 91 magic skill earring affects it). The only reason I could see people doing /RDM is for Convert, but even then I think Sublimation and Arts access wins out in the end.

Edit: Could be wrong, but I don't frequently see one person burn a job to cap and go "pro" with it. As of late, it just seems to be a faster way to get Maat's cap >_>
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2011-09-27 14:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I mean people who do it cause they are interested in it being a long time main. :|
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-27 14:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

SMNs brew real well? What does that even mean? Anything can brew well lol, if you mean efficiently I can think of quite a few jobs that can probably do it better for a chain-brew.
By Soranika 2011-09-27 15:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Geared for Cataclysm... But it's not even native to SMN. WHM is still common but what SMN are subbing WAR, MNK, or PLD... or even still WHM purposely for Cataclysm?

Both inside and outside abyssea? Amber and pearling? Those who are concerned about getting amber in an amber farm party are most likely on another job that's more efficient.

I should have known better to ask about this post-abyssea. Everything seems like assumptions of the purpose behind it and misunderstanding. Like amber farming with SMN/SCH using twilight cloak's Impact at half cost using stratagems to get full, practical use out of it except for the fact that of what I mentioned above, cataclysm is only native to four jobs. Not to mention with it's MP cost is still hazardous to SMN who don't even know how to manage their MP against the perp cost and blood pact's cost, especially if they aren't even in +2 gear. MM atma only goes so far with them if they don't. This even sacrifices a spot on for atma to actually get decent damage with Catacylsm with the right sub job, especially considering slow gain of TP. What happens when you run out of temp items and haven't found a chest that have the right temp items to help? Keep trucking along until you do? Mean while losing time in the process. it's horribly inefficient and not fun. Not from my point of view anyway.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2011-09-27 15:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think that was the point anyone was trying to make, my COR brews better than any other job I have ever seen myself so I know what you mean.

EDIT: you posted before I finished my own Soranika, my post was directed to Draylo.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-09-27 15:21:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SMNs who sub RDM are gimps.
Wat.
[+]
 Bismarck.Soranika
By Bismarck.Soranika 2011-09-27 15:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Got you, just on an offtopic note, I didn't know messing with my profile would separate my posts like that. x_x
 Bismarck.Markas
user: Markas83
By Bismarck.Markas 2011-09-27 15:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

SMNs who sub RDM are gimps.

explain this to me from your massive experience as smn.
 Bismarck.Soranika
By Bismarck.Soranika 2011-09-27 15:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Don't know why I feel the need to justify my use of a light staff...
-Even before 75+ and emp gear, Carby was per cost was low meaning I didn't have to spend gil on HQ... Main job was SMN for years.

-I don't feel bothered to do elemental staves trials, mainly Surya's staff because I don't particular care about being on WHM. I'm forced to play the job despite my dislike of it. 10% cure potency on NQ is just as good as 10% cure potency on HQ. Why bother?

-My light staff is augmented and has sentimental value to me. I don't feel like I need to explain why it is to you or anyone else.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-27 15:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Don't know why I feel the need to justify my use of a light staff...
[li]-Even before 75+ and emp gear, Carby was per cost was low meaning I didn't have to spend gil on HQ... Main job was SMN for years.[/li]
[li]-I don't feel bothered to do elemental staves trials, mainly Surya's staff because I don't particular care about being on WHM. I'm forced to play the job despite my dislike of it. 10% cure potency on NQ is just as good as 10% cure potency on HQ. Why bother?[/li]
[li]-My light staff is augmented and has sentimental value to me. I don't feel like I need to explain why it is to you or anyone else.[/li]

lol oh wow
[+]
 Bismarck.Soranika
By Bismarck.Soranika 2011-09-27 15:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
lol oh wow
Is there something you feel the need to disapprove of there? I kinda like people to just say it instead of laughing at me.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-09-27 15:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna go with "all of it". Glass house etc.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-27 15:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that you choose to gimp yourself with a NQ light staff because its signed says it all basically....
[+]
 Fenrir.Camaroz
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-09-27 15:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

you dont need to but dont act sadity when you trying to call people out on smn. in other words bring your A game
First Page 2 3 4