SMN Melee Builds!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN melee builds!
SMN melee builds!
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-11 14:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any decent SMN melee builds already made? I wanna melee some fodder mobs! I've been derping around on SMN just for fun while I redo all my assaults ^0^
 Leviathan.Dodu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-11 14:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

<.<
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-11 14:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

:D, looking good lol. Would carbuncle's pole be worth it at all with the TP bonus and added light effect? I was thinking for Spirit taker since you sacrifice a lot of -perp because I would like to have my avatar out as well, possibly w/o avatar favor also.
 Leviathan.Dodu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-11 14:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle's Pole with the add. effect triggering would be best, yeah, but there's an annoying amount of variables to consider. You'd also optimally be /SAM, which means Garuda's haste would be highly beneficial, which means a lot of summoning and JA delay, which also means a lot of MP consumption, which leads to the need to Siphon.

And that's just total melee output, never mind avatars' output skewing things entirely.

Use whatever's available to you, I'd say. :s
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-09-11 15:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I just wanna mess around w/it lol. Also for haste hands:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Bangles

Those are +3 haste assuming the augment is correct, from ANNM, I think those are still uncapped.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dance_Shoes

Those are also ANNM and give +2 haste.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [35 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Surgator
Server: Fenrir
user: blade4
By Fenrir.Surgator 2011-10-16 08:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

does full gear dd will be better then some perpetuation cost on gear and some dd gear? i was always wondering what would be the best ?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-10-16 09:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It would depend on which avatar you are using, you can pretty much keep Carbuncle out in full melee gear if you are using spirit taker.
 Fenrir.Surgator
Server: Fenrir
user: blade4
By Fenrir.Surgator 2011-10-16 09:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

so that only work for carbuncle because other avar you better have 1 or 2 gear that remove the most perp to be with an avatar that suck too much mp
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-10-16 10:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

You could probably get away with using fenrir with a melee build too, depending on what gear you use.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-10-16 14:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

For haste legs you could get Haste +3 on ASA legs.

For feet I recommend these http://www.ffxiah.com/item/11459/savateurs-gaiters
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [365 days between previous and next post]
 Shiva.Paulu
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-10-15 18:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Mostly for Nirvana trials but I've been using this

Looking to get Ninurta's Sash as an upgrade. Also when the the perp- on the staff upgrades I plan to swap out the Evoker's Ring and Caller's Pigaches +2 for Rajas and Savateurs Gaiters.

Is there anything I'm missing? target mobs will be EP trial grinds and eventually VW if I'm ever smn because I'm a 'phos' like that.
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2012-10-15 18:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Paulu why you no tell me you got Nirvana?!

Congratz!

:x Sorry for derailing.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2012-10-15 19:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Avatar's favor set, mainly used with Ifrit.
Inferno howl for 45~ damage enfire, Crimson howl for warcry, and double attack favor. Can cap perp cost with firestorm using this set.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-10-15 19:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Given absolutely no acknowledgement to Avatars, The Set I come up with is...

And for Shattersoul

Now, The Moepapa Stone Is probably better in the Waist slot. But the Melee set I made caps out your Melee Haste (26%). Avatars are pretty strong, So its not always prudent to discount them. But with the above set, I can keep Ifrit/Favor out and Maintain my MP with a Spirit Taker every couple WS, Since Spirit taker shares the same WS set as Shattersoul and can hit pretty hard.
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-10-15 20:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a separate set for avatar's favor for the 512 skill tier but the moepapa stone is a great idea. Also my set was for Nirvana so the -8 perp on the finished version will be -8, -2 adhara gages, 1 auto-refresh, and -4 from favor. If I were to use favor while in tp set that leaves me at +1 from auto-refresh II.

Quote:
Paulu why you no tell me you got Nirvana?!

Congratz!

:x Sorry for derailing.
Hey Spath guess what? I got a Nirvana. Now I told you ^_^
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-10-15 20:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cool stuff Karb. I was gonna save the Shattersoul questions for after my trials but they were indeed on the way lol. Shedir Manteel is also a good idea! Thanks for the input.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-10-15 22:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Far from ideal but this is what I use outside abyssea. My usual staff is Light Avatar -Perp Magian Staff.
I have a moepapa stone that I also use, but I like windbuffet on occasion for the entertaining triple/quad procs to break the monotony of a vanilla haste build that only has 2-4% DA.

As for doing trials or just SMN melee in general, I prefer carby w/ favor. I can heavily cut back on perp gear slots without much loss of damage, great sustainability against linking trashmobs due to passive regen, and Healing Ruby II+Soothing Ruby handles curing of avatar/smn+status removal so I can endlessly kill stuff and dont always have to use TP on spirit taker to keep MP up.

This choice also avoids the need to resummon when fighting mobs in magic aggro areas *Sky/Ro'Maeve for instance*. Oh and /DNC + Aspir Samba is really nice when you end up fighting crab/beetle/worm/arcana/etc for trials.

Other random pieces I use on smn are Paguroidea Ring/Wiglen Gorget/sheltered ring for extra regen sometimes while meleeing.

Alot of the focus on using regen gear +carby favor centers around me targeting stuff that does AoE tp moves (dancing weapons) so i'm taking damage/getting status effects on me as well regularly.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-10-16 13:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

When i Solo, I do generally toss up Avatar's Favor, Pop on the Carby Mitts, and Run around with the little furball.

Especially on weaker things, Like Soloing GoV pages or what have you.

Though, i tend to favor my damage over ever focusing on my Pets when I'm actually doing the whole Melee thing, Because my Damage will always be better. Which isn't really surprising. In the last 24 Levels, I've gained the ability to cap gear haste, and get 50$ Haste alone (Hastega, Hasso, Gear)... I've gained Shattersoul, an absolutely brilliant Staff WS, better TP Gear in general... Staves with considerable more DPS, While our avatars gained... what?

a Few Buff Bloodpacts... very low damage increases... same general BP Damage with +1 MAB Gear here and there. The only real improvements we've seen are through the "Incr. BP Damage" gear, and some occasional Relic +2.

So while our Avatars have gained some power, When i do decide to solo and bust out my Melee set, I give no sh*ts to our pet, Since its gained considerably less power over the last 24 levels, than i have. So its generally Carby + Me. Or Ifrit, I love Ifrit.

Plus, I generally just macro in the BP Dmg+ Gear when needed :P

That and I have an unnatural hatred for Hybrid Sets. Why do two things halfassed when you can do one thing right.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-10-16 15:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

For an N-SMN melee set while not letting your Avatar down: (Spinel Earring augmented with Store TP+1)

N-SMN Shattersoul:

N-SMN GoB:

N-SMN Spirit Taker - Moonshade Earring if TP Bonus on it

Also interesting:
N-SMN Casting Interruption Down [melee] Grants immunity to interruption of spells by physical attacks without the use of merits

Sets might be outdated by now though.
[+]
 Asura.Calinzt
user: Calinz
By Asura.Calinzt 2012-10-19 05:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Just leaving my input on the Gardland of Bliss WS set for Nirvana:
I've been playing around with this for a while, and sadly I can say it's not worth it at all.

Mainly tested on a variety of limbus mobs and the results were underwhelming: 500-700 dmg usually (regardless of TP), and just over 1k on magic weak mobs.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2012-10-19 06:55:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calinzt said: »
I've been playing around with this for a while, and sadly I can say it's not worth it at all.

Mainly tested on a variety of limbus mobs and the results were underwhelming: 500-700 dmg usually (regardless of TP), and just over 1k on magic weak mobs.
At which level is your Nirvana?
Looking at your Set you heavily focused on MAB disregarding the mods.
If you have Nares Set it offers a good combination of modifiers (inclusive set bonus) as well as the MAB stat beating some of your choices (can compare to the GoB set I posted earlier).

Also it is SMN, you can have fun with it, play around a lot adjusting your gear nowdays and reach decent results but one should not expect too much.
 Asura.Calinzt
user: Calinz
By Asura.Calinzt 2012-10-19 07:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Asura.Calinzt said: »

At which level is your Nirvana?
Looking at your Set you heavily focused on MAB disregarding the mods.
If you have Nares Set it offers a good combination of modifiers (inclusive set bonus) as well as the MAB stat beating some of your choices (can compare to the GoB set I posted earlier).

Also it is SMN, you can have fun with it, play around a lot adjusting your gear nowdays and reach decent results but one should not expect too much.

It's 99, and no I don't have nares, hence why I'm using what I've listed lol. Wiki says MAB is direct 1% dmg for 1 MAB. So it should beat modifiers.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [98 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Umisith
Server: Ragnarok
user: umii
By Ragnarok.Umisith 2013-01-25 13:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Since i got Hvergelmir im having so much fun as smn melee, this is what i use for tp now:

Hvergelmir has great ws, Myrkr with 300 tp gives me 1500 mp in abyssea, 1k+ outside. Only bad about Myrkr is that you dont do dmg with it. With 25% haste is hard to get 300tp before aftermath goes off. I dont know if i should get Shattersoul to increase my dmg since its hard to get 300 tp to keep aftermath up.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-01-25 13:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Get Shattersoul, use that mainly for dmg, and use Myrkr when you need MP :)