Level 51 Staves Or +3 MAB Weapon For Magical BPs?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Level 51 staves or +3 MAB weapon for magical BPs?
Level 51 staves or +3 MAB weapon for magical BPs?
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2011-07-30 12:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Which would be considered a better weapon for swapping into magic BPs - a Fay Crozier with +3 MAB, or a HQ 51 stave granting a 15% damage bonus?

I haven't DDed much using magical BP's until recently, so I'm unsure as to the potency of the MAB stat.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-30 12:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

HQ Staves give no MAB to the summoner's pet, in terms of the pet the only thing it does it reduce perp cost

At the moment for magical blood pacts in which you'd care to do damage you'd either use Soulscourge or the Pet: MAB trial staff
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-30 12:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental staves don't boost avatar damage as far as I'm aware, just reduces perp cost.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-30 12:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairly sure effects from Elemental Staves dont carry over to the pet, and that it only gives perp down, so the Fay Crozier would be a better choice.

However, an even better choice would be the pet MAB magian staff, trials are quite simple, and you could do it in a weekend np.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2011-07-30 12:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a SMN or anything, but I thought the staves DMG bonus didn't extend to pets? I was under the impression that elemental staves were just for the perp- on SMN.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-07-30 12:57:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't there a staff that has pet: MAB+15 or so like the acc/atk one.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-07-30 12:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just use a soulscourge.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-30 12:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Yep, it's probably really easy to make too, most MAB Magian weapons are

It's only +13 MAB though, but atm nothing's better
 Fenrir.Leoheart
Server: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-07-30 13:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:

Shaheeravadi +2
 Quetzalcoatl.Zubis
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zubis
By Quetzalcoatl.Zubis 2011-07-30 13:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah nuts, I was reading up on Magic Affinity on FFXI Wiki and was delighted to read about the 15% bonus...didn't know it didn't apply to pets. Good to know though, at least I didn't go off and make a set of HQ staves.

Thanks all.
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-30 14:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Soulscourge is the only answer. SMN damage isn't very good anyway, so anything that increases your chances of randomly dropping a 10k Heavenly Strike is priority(for screenshots).
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-07-30 17:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Soulscourge is the only answer. SMN damage isn't very good anyway, so anything that increases your chances of randomly dropping a 10k Heavenly Strike is priority(for screenshots).

I disagree. By that logic a BLM should sacrifice mab for conserve MP so they can randomly drop a 10k+ bliz V.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-07-30 17:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:

Quoting myself from another forum.

Quote:
That in itself is rather bad too.

They'd get more E-peen Shots yes, But using a Real staff they would do consistently higher numbers that would eventually outweigh that type of benefit of forcing set bonus proc.

I honestly don't know the exact proc % on Blood Boon, Neither does wiki apparently, But assuming its 50% Proc rate after gear, and its only 5% Chance to activate set bonus with 5/5 (if it anything like other Empyrean Set bonuses)... thats 2.5% Chance per BP for set bonus to proc, assuming a 50% proc rate on Blood Boon.

and if im not mistaken the Damage multiplier is based on how much MP is conserved no?

Quote:
receive a damage multiplier of 1.5, 1.75 or 2.0 depending on the MP conserved via Blood Boon

So lets say your BP average 2k outside of Abyssea. (heavenly strike as an example) You're now doing 4k per 40 Bloodpacts, on average, which divided across all 40 BPs in the mean time is only +50 Damage on average.

Shareeravadi+2 has +7MAB over Soulscourge... which I think is about an additional ~120(??) (if 2k is base)? It would be based on all your other MAB gear, But i think it will always win over time.

Inside Abyssea is probably another story... But i don't see Soulscourge being too far ahead (If at all, considering I'm not sure base proc rate on Blood Boon, and i think 50% is generous)

Plus I'm not great with determine MAB, so if a BLM or someone more knowledgeable could math it out better than me, please do.

I've been wrong before.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2011-07-30 17:44:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I read somewhere that the Blood Boon and the Augments Blood Boon are two different things so that the Blood Boon+ gear had nothing to do with AF3+2 proc rate. I'll try and find where I read that, but it was an interesting idea.

Augments "Blood Boon" Sets
That was where I read it, but no idea how valid that is.
unless someone wants to test!
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-08-01 11:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Paulu is right, early testing seems to indicate that blood boon from equipment doesn't help set bonus activation.

Even if it did, the math would be against Soulscourge.

Let's assume average set bonus activation is around 80% damage boost which I think is generous. Let's also assume that set bonus procs on about 10% of blood boon procs, which at around 50% blood boon activation felt right to me (about 5% total procs). That means an extra 5% blood boon will yield 0.5% more activations, and yield 0.4% overall damage increase.

Now compare to Shareeravadi +2 (Pet: MAB+12). Avatars have a native MAB of roughly 40. Now let's even further handicap the Shareeravadi just to drive my point home, let's say you're also in Abyssea. Ultimate + Beyond atmas give another 80 MAB. Let's assume you also have Eidolon Pendant, Tiresias Cape, and Caller's Sash for another 7 MAB. Also don't forget the 5 MAB from Soulscourge. That's 132 total before Shareeravadi which provides 7 more MAB than Soulscourge. 239/232 = 1.03 or a 3% overall increase.

Shareeravadi +2 is on average nearly 10 times better than Soulscourge even if blood boon does affect set bonus, and even if you are in Abyssea loaded up with MAB atmas.
 Remora.Dodu
Server: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-08-01 16:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
 Asura.Miyara
By Asura.Miyara 2011-08-03 08:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Shareeravadi +2 is your best staff for magic BP's (except for those lucky Nirvana owners). It's also wonderfully easy to get. I did the first trial with the treants one night, and the next say started on the rest and finished in early afternoon. Several of the later trials can be done in Galcier (s), right at the entrance from Batallia Downs (s). Ice weather is plentiful there, so it goes quick, and you'll likely have your ice geodes for last trial by the time you're done.

Soulscourge still has a place, I macro it in for the physical BPs.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2011-08-03 08:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if Soulscourge did increase your Augments proc rate (and it doesn't), you'd get better screenshots from the MAB+12 staff.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-08-06 08:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Dodu said:
Remora.Dodu said:

You won't do a 10k strike on a set proc without Shareeravadi +2 or Nirvana anyway unless the mob takes bonus magic dmg.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-06 08:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

He is talking about Blood boon proc.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-08-06 08:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply