Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » SMN Gear {Help}
SMN Gear {Help}
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2011-07-01 20:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I've had SMN for a while... but if I do something, I need to do it right, or I usually just can't bother. I've opted for the latter, up until this point. I don't mind making a zillion macros, because I like to play every job to the best of my ability. I'd appreciate the ideal gear sets, for things such as Blood Pacts, Avatar Idle/Melee both inside and outside Abyssea, hMP, etc;

Also, is there a good reason to full time +2 Legs? They don't seem to offer anything too special in my opinion, except for Merit BPs... but like I said, I don't really know SMN that will.

Edit: Any help you can provide is appreciated :]
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-07-01 20:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Too much gear to make sets, but SMN is pretty straight-forward.

Idle: Refresh with DT, and either MDT or PDT depending. Regen is ok too. Can always throw in MP gear if you so desire.

BP Timer: Whatever gear you can get that reduces your timer to 45sec.

Magical BP: Avatar/Pet MAB, Blood Pact Damage, Blood Boon, TP bonus(if Merit BPs), Magic Accuracy and Summoning skill.

Physical BP: Items that augment Avatar Attack/Accuracy, Blood Pact Damage, and Summoning Skill.

Perpetuation: Whatever set reduces your perpetuation cost to 0 and gives you the most refresh while perping.

Wards: Summoning Skill

Siphon: Summoning Skill and Siphon bonus gear.

HMP: 1 tick refresh = 2.5 HMP iirc, about. HMP becomes better when you rest for longer periods of time.

You can use +2 legs for both Magic/Phys BPs and Siphoning, would not perp in them.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-07-01 21:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Niniann nailed it, thought i'd add if you haven't chosen your ASA legs for something else, ele siphon +20 aug is the best leg piece to siphon in, +2 legs are 2nd best if no tatsumaki.

Also, with voidwatch and whatever they plan on adding in future updates, if your avatars acc isn't capped then AF1 legs are still the highest physical acc+ pants (+14 acc) where +2 legs only add +6 acc assuming your skill is over cap.
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-01 21:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't been on Smn in a while, but depending on the ward, I think BP Timer down still helps
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-07-01 21:51:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
I haven't been on Smn in a while, but depending on the ward, I think BP Timer down still helps

You're suppose to BP in -timer gear then swap to potency gear. D:
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-01 21:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:

HMP: 1 tick refresh = 2.5 HMP iirc, about. HMP becomes better when you rest for longer periods of time.
Assuming a tic is 2.4s then 1mp/tic of refresh is roughly equal to 4.16666667 hmp I believe.

Also HMP just adds a static amount, it doesn't increase the amount increased in succession, like 5 HMP would make you recover 13 mp first resting moment, 14 the next, 15 after and so on and so forth instead of 8 to 9 to 10~.

The only thing that increases the amount increased each resting moment is the higher levels of Clear Mind, which would make it go 14 to 16 to 18 and so on.

That being said, since it adds a static amount, it shouldn't improve/diminish when you rest for "longer periods of time" to the best of my understanding.
By Nausi 2011-07-01 22:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget you can macro in a BP set for the command and then a DMG + set before the actual strike
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-07-01 22:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

Assuming a tic is 2.4s then 1mp/tic of refresh is roughly equal to 4.16666667 hmp I believe.

Also HMP just adds a static amount, it doesn't increase the amount increased in succession, like 5 HMP would make you recover 13 mp first resting moment, 14 the next, 15 after and so on and so forth instead of 8 to 9 to 10~.

The only thing that increases the amount increased each resting moment is the higher levels of Clear Mind, which would make it go 14 to 16 to 18 and so on.

That being said, since it adds a static amount, it shouldn't improve/diminish when you rest for "longer periods of time" to the best of my understanding.

That's not what I meant when I said better after longer periods of time, I just meant the MP recovered overall would be more in comparison to what you'd gain with refresh if you rested longer is all. D:
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-07-01 22:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bismarck.Altar said:

I somehow managed to miss the entire "BP Timer:" line.
I blame it being Canada day.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-07-01 22:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Bismarck.Altar said:

I somehow managed to miss the entire "BP Timer:" line.
I blame it being Canada day.

:<
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-01 22:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

That's not what I meant when I said better after longer periods of time, I just meant the MP recovered overall would be more in comparison to what you'd gain with refresh if you rested longer is all. D:
Ohhhh ok. Was gunna say... knew you were too smart to think such things~
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-07-01 22:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohhhh ok. Was gunna say... knew you were too smart to think such things~

I should've explained it better. Oops.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-07-02 12:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Niniann is spot on with the basic stuff you need. If you wanna expand gear beyond that I suggest a Stoneskin set. All you need for that is Stone gorget, Haven hose, Siegel sash and depending on the SJ, enough MND gear to cap it out. For /WHM, /RDM and /SCH (non-Light Arts) you need between 130-140 total MND to cap Stoneskin. The actual MND depends on wether your skill is capped and weather or not you have Enhancing merits. /SCH with Light Arts active, you won't even need MND to cap it out unless your total MND is below 67.
By Mahoro577 2011-07-04 03:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alistrianna said:
Niniann is spot on with the basic stuff you need. If you wanna expand gear beyond that I suggest a Stoneskin set. All you need for that is Stone gorget, Haven hose, Siegel sash and depending on the SJ, enough MND gear to cap it out. For /WHM, /RDM and /SCH (non-Light Arts) you need between 130-140 total MND to cap Stoneskin. The actual MND depends on wether your skill is capped and weather or not you have Enhancing merits. /SCH with Light Arts active, you won't even need MND to cap it out unless your total MND is below 67.

Stoneskin set is definitely helpful when soloing. Carapacho Cuffs is good for this too.