Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2011-06-24 17:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Get an Apoc then really since Apoc can change the way DRK plays and Spharai really doesnt.

Speaking as a Apoc Owner, Apoc is a waste of time.

You have two different DRK characters?

You're talking about situations where you need the +counter, but how often is that the case? They're worthless in Abyssea, which is where at least 50% of your time is spent, and the only way I can see you needing the extra counter outside is if you can't keep Counterstance up because of dispel spam. So if you're /WAR (because you can just macro +counter in for shadows), and outside, all the time, go for it?

Seems like a huge waste of gil and time, to me.
 Asura.Aratz
Server: Asura
user: Celik
By Asura.Aratz 2011-06-24 17:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Spharai are useless. Get Apoc...or something useful...
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-06-24 19:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Get an Apoc then really since Apoc can change the way DRK plays and Spharai really doesnt.

You're talking about situations where you need the +counter, but how often is that the case? They're worthless in Abyssea, which is where at least 50% of your time is spent, and the only way I can see you needing the extra counter outside is if you can't keep Counterstance up because of dispel spam. So if you're /WAR (because you can just macro +counter in for shadows), and outside, all the time, go for it?

Yes I do. Mankey is my alt.
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-06-24 19:14:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Rorrick said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

Yes I do. Mankey is my alt.

So is playing dark knight but thats what you like to do correct? Clearly theres about 2 good weapons in 90% of the game's current content and about 2 good jobs

Surya+2+whm and vereth+mnk

everything outside of that is personal flair and dowhateverthefuckyouwantbro
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-24 19:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk where you're getting that from. Need red and grellow procs.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-06-24 19:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Idk where you're getting that from. Need red and grellow procs.

naked mules, naked mules everywhere
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-06-24 19:18:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Atoreis is just having a tough time explaining his question. Maybe this is a better break down.

"Will somebody build and test Spharai vs a h2h I haven't mentioned as well as Apocalypse vs a scythe I haven't mentioned, then tell me between the winners of those, which is better for me. Post all your data, because I want to form 'my own opinion' rather than trust anyone's reputation. Thanks.*"

Just look for people with both Spharai and Verethragna and ask them.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-24 19:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinematics has a spreadsheet. If he wanted a direct comparison, he could have done that himself.
 Ragnarok.Appie
Server: Ragnarok
user: Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-06-25 14:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember you calling yourself "a career monk" and not "a career drk", so the choice should be rather simple? To me anyway, it was. Back when I made Spharai everybody bitched about the small gain it had over destroyers and whatnot. I did not care, it was the best, it had a fun (but shitty) nostalgia WS and while I agree Glanzfaust look better, there's is nothing wrong with some gold knuckles that have pain written on them.

For your comparison to the the Vereth and equipping a *** of counter. There is a fine line in giving up offence for defence on MNK. Personally anything around 70% counterrate is "good enough" for me to not equip more countergear which might lower my dps (without counters).

As for Relics recieving buffs. To me it is pretty simple, if they don't make the relic path easier, the relic should be better. Yes, I'm aware that by that logic, Glanzfaust should be the best, but that's a weapon from the "*** you over on completing ***" expansion anyway, so don't know if SE will actually do that.

Considering SE hardly made relics easier with their last dyna change I expect relics to recieve a pretty good buff unless SE wants more *** topics on the official forums. Not from me btw, I only care a little what way SE floats, if my relic becomes a real relic (lolz), so be it. I'll be pissed, because while Vereth is cool and all, Spharai will always be the coolest thing I did on MNK.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
Server: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-06-25 14:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Relics did become a lot easier with this new update. A group of 3-5 people can farm 300+ currency a day with some luck.
 Bahamut.Tajot
user: Tajot
By Bahamut.Tajot 2011-06-25 14:51:27
Link | Quote | Reply

While it may be somewhat easy to farm 300 currency a day, getting 3-5 people to farm a whole relic for you is somewhat difficult. Considering it's hard to say "me first, then we'll farm your relic". I highly doubt a group would stay together that long (If so power to ya). But considering bynes doubled in price it hasn't really gotten easier in the buying part.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-25 14:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

2 ppl dual boxing, split coins down the middle.

150 towards your relic, 150 towards their relic or for them to sell, etc.

Would be pretty easy to set that up.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-06-25 15:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tajot said:
But considering bynes doubled in price it hasn't really gotten easier in the buying part.
I wanna know what made people realize after so long bynes are just as plentiful in dropping as everything else and shouldnt be half the price of everything else.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-25 15:05:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Bahamut.Tajot said:
But considering bynes doubled in price it hasn't really gotten easier in the buying part.
I wanna know what made people realize after so long bynes are just as plentiful in dropping as everything else and shouldnt be half the price of everything else.
Didn't have to do with the drop rate. Had to do w/ bynes being a large part of less popular relics.

Now they're all equally unpopular, hence the same price.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2011-06-25 15:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
2 ppl dual boxing, split coins down the middle.

150 towards your relic, 150 towards their relic or for them to sell, etc.

Would be pretty easy to set that up.

with 2 people you wont be hitting 300, 100~200 prob, but his point still stands, make a duo static and bring some mules if u can. it'll still take some time but it all comes down to how bad you really want it.
 Lakshmi.Dobbykk
Server: Lakshmi
user: Dobbykk
By Lakshmi.Dobbykk 2011-06-25 15:29:41
Link | Quote | Reply

And I wouldn't say all relics are trash. Mandau(90) is still slightly better than Twashtar(90).

Honestly though, Im kind of pulling this out of my *** but thats still the general consensus, anyway.

However I've never seen anyone happy with Spharai, so I wouldnt even chance it. Get Vereth > Get an Apoc.
 Ragnarok.Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-06-25 20:03:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Dobbykk said:

However I've never seen anyone happy with Spharai
Hi.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-06-25 20:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
Bahamut.Tajot said:
Didn't have to do with the drop rate. Had to do w/ bynes being a large part of less popular relics.

Now they're all equally unpopular, hence the same price.

Well, way back when it was because people spammed basty because wootz ore sold for a ton, so linkshells would make the most profit by doing basty. After abyssea killed that, Bynes should have been around what other currency cost, but they stayed around the same price because people were just used to them being that much after so many years.

Also, Bynes are like, 6-8k average and used to be 4-6k. It's still not very much compared to the 12-16k shells and coins, which have mainly retained their price or gone up a bit.

And on top of them being slightly more expensive, getting gil is insanely easier if you really want it. As you and Dio did, just merc everything you can. Only took you guys a few months to fund your Kikoku and his Mandau.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-06-25 20:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The only people happy with Spharai are the people who have that but dont have a vere.
[+]
 Bahamut.Tajot
user: Tajot
By Bahamut.Tajot 2011-06-25 20:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not trying to argue but 6-8k is false as an average. Most of my 10,000 bynes were 11k~. Call me impatient but I maybe got 20-30 bynes for 6-8k a day.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-06-25 20:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Tajot said:
I'm not trying to argue but 6-8k is false as an average. Most of my 10,000 bynes were 11k~. Call me impatient but I maybe got 20-30 bynes for 6-8k a day.

Well, they should be about that anyway =P
 Ragnarok.Appie
By Ragnarok.Appie 2011-06-26 07:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:

Well, way back when it was because people spammed basty because wootz ore sold for a ton, so linkshells would make the most profit by doing basty.
People don't think "oh I get profit on wootz, so let's make the price lower on bynes because we are so *** nice". Greed is the number 1 rule in FFXI or anywhere. If they could have sold bynes for 1 million they would have. Fact is all relics with bynes as the final stage were the less popular ones, what Tiger said. Bynes have been in the 500 to 800k range as long as I can remember, exception being the hyperinflation days, they were 1.1mil (vs 2.2+ mil montiont).

Rule of thumb throughout the years for my server has pretty much been montionts were twice as much as bynes, shells 1.5times as much as bynes (lately same as montiont ratio though). Funny enough my server had the most Spharai listed of all servers on FFXIAH XD I say listED because all relics with old confimation (aka no guildwork/community site) were removed. Some of them still play, but won't show here.

Sylph.Kimble said:
The only people happy with Spharai are the people who have that but dont have a vere.
Of course, the best days of Spharai have been long gone ever since Abyssea, that's not the point. I had them since 2008 and haven't regretted them once. While Apoc would open up lowman options for drk, Spharai simply made me better at lowmanning from 2008 to 2011 which gave me great pleasure. Even today while not being the best, they still count as second or 3rd best. And as little added bonus they still seperate me from the bandwagon mnk. That does not mean I will equip them over Vereth when in a fight at this time, but it is nice to know for myself :P

And yes I don't have Vereth yet, 49 fangs. Emp law had to apply on last pop of course, got another Amun KI already, Amun is quite emo on our server in EU time atm, so white. Still 18 buds to go.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-26 10:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said:
Agreed. I think Spharai was underrated before Empyreans came out though.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-06-26 10:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Id swap Vereth for Spharai right now If I could and just get Vereth again even if Spharai dont trump all at 99, I bet you they will though. Or spharai will be slightly superior for mobs of a higher lvl and high defense and vereth will win in merit pty.

Only people who considered spharai underrated before are ones who only ever did HNM and lol'd mnk at HNM. As far as salvage goes every monk I know who did salvage when spharai were best and destroyers were the only other option all wanted spharai.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-06-27 01:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
and what are you talking about? Spharai are one of the ugliest looking relics
I disagree!
I personally love the "cesti" model for h2h weapon. Among "normal" weapons Destroyers/Taurine are still my favourite.
Spharai is definitely the best looking h2h weapon for my tastes.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-06-27 04:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Some relics look unique(Amano, though I don't care for the design, unique; Guttler). Other relics look ugly as *** w/ a gold coating.

Spharai is one of the latter(along w/ Apoc, Mandau, etc.).
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2011-06-27 05:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Some relics look unique(Amano, though I don't care for the design, unique; Guttler). Other relics look ugly as *** w/ a gold coating.

Spharai is one of the latter(along w/ Apoc, Mandau, etc.).
Most relics were just reskins of existing models:

GuttlerOrcish axe
Spharaikoenigs knuckles/diamond knuckles
Mandauthief's knife
Kikokukunai/ganko
Ragnarokbloody sword
Claustrummonster signa
Bravurabhuj
ApocalypseDemonslicer
Gjallarhornhorn/cornette
 Sylph.Cossack
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2011-06-27 07:59:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know of any other weapon sharing the same model as Ragnarok. Excalibur was unique until Hauteclaire.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-27 11:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said:
Only people who considered spharai underrated before are ones who only ever did HNM and lol'd mnk at HNM. As far as salvage goes every monk I know who did salvage when spharai were best and destroyers were the only other option all wanted spharai.
Huh? I consider them underrated because in my experience most people didn't fully appreciate the benefits of Spharai. I never did HNM or particularly cared what jobs were good for it.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-06-27 12:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont think Spharai will be best at 99 unless they rework the WS for it.

I dunno, they just arent all that impressive to me. Werent at 75, wont be at 99.