Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Gear questions
Gear questions
 Sylph.Breakdown
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Breakdown
By Sylph.Breakdown 2011-06-19 03:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Should I macro Soulscourge for every BP or just keep using ELE Staves all the time?

I currrently have Twilight Cape en Heirach Belt for my SMN. WHat are the best upgrades for those slots?

Any better grip then +20 MP?

Also need upgrade for ranged slot. Currently have Phantom Tanthlam...

Thank You!!
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-19 04:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Grip selection sucks for SMN. Staff for the -2 enmity more than the 20 MP. Caller's Sash, max MP is pretty irrelevant, but keep the belt you have for hMP. Ammo, I don't really know off the top of my head, sorry.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-06-19 05:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

vox grip is a good option

macro soulscourge for at least ward and magic bp

diabolos's rope for blood boon, will help with set proc too!
caller's sash for magic bp i guess?

astute cape is pretty good for wards and accuray for rage
tiresias' cape for bp- and magic bp
[+]
 Sylph.Breakdown
Server: Sylph
user: Breakdown
By Sylph.Breakdown 2011-06-19 07:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

ELE Staves do nothing for avatras cept the -perp right?
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-06-19 07:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Soulscourge for physical BPs and siphon, if you don't want to do the pet: mab +12 shareeravadi +2, then soulscourge is the next best thing for magic BPs, but the magian is superior to it (And it's really easy to make, could do it in a day if lucky with weather)

Grips, I use staff strap for idling and vox grip for BPs and siphon, ammo I use hedgehog bomb, still the best MP+ piece you can get as far as I know for that slot, and the -1 enmity doesn't hurt either.

I would say back piece choice is down to preference, Astute cape is nice since it has MP+ and skill+ for siphon etc (and is still pretty pimp :P) any cape with hp/mp+ or cheviot/umbra cape for idling in, then tiresias cape macroed in for BP delay and avatar nukes.

As Austar said, going for a mega max MP set in certain gear slots is irrelevant since as soon as you BP and swap to BP delay gear then to BP enhancing gear, any excess MP you gain from other gear in those slots are gone. Although it's nice to have a little extra for prebuffs and whatnot.

Sylph.Breakdown said:
ELE Staves do nothing for avatras cept the -perp right?

Just the -perp hidden effect.
 Shiva.Alistrianna
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-06-19 10:39:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Staff selection is great for SMN these days. Soulscourge is a nice alternative for people that do not want to dump the time into making the ToTM staffs for Pet: mab and/or Pet: acc. Also, Kirin's Pole augmented via Byakko's Scrap can get up to Summoning Magic Skill +12. As far as Elemental staves go, get a Fay Crozier with Perp -3 or a Bahamut's staff if possible, otherwise do teh ToTM staves taht grant -6 perp.

Grip selection is terrible. Use Oneiros grip, Vox Grip, Staff strap, Vivid strap(+1) or any combination of these. Latent on Oneiros requires your base MP (includes merits and weapon MP) to be below 76%. Oneiros also grants fulltime regen effect.

Ammo selection is probably worse than grips. Hegdehog bomb, White Tathlum and Impatiens are the way to go. Astral Pot is great if you can get one from ENM60, but it's a charged item and has to be reused everytime your pet is resummoned.

Back slots are kind of limited as well for Summoner. Tiresias' cape, Astute cape and PDT/MDT-% cape like Cheviot are really the 3 best options. Realistically you can use all 3. Altius Mantle can get augments similar to the stats on Tiresias' cape (it can get 2 Pet MAB and -2 delay).

Waist selection has pretty much always been Hierarch belt until this time last year. Now we have Caller's sash (avatar mab +2), Mujin obi (enhances avatar attack), Summoning belt (+2 skill) and Diabolos rope (Blood Boon +3 and Diabolos perp -1) to use. All are great and have their specific uses. Austerity belt replaces Hierarch belt if you carry hMP stuff.
[+]
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-06-19 10:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alistrianna said:
Also, Kirin's Pole augmented via Byakko's Scrap can get up to Summoning Magic Skill +12.

I loves me some stronger siphons :D
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-06-19 10:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I jumped for joy when I saw this augment. I've never gotten around to getting the Mythic pole with the +10 skill augment from ANNM just because those sucked so much. Getting Byakko scraps will be easy at least. It's just a matter of how many attempts it may take.
 Asura.Miyara
Server: Asura
By Asura.Miyara 2011-06-23 00:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kunimatsu said:
Soulscourge for physical BPs and siphon, if you don't want to do the pet: mab +12 shareeravadi +2, then soulscourge is the next best thing for magic BPs, but the magian is superior to it (And it's really easy to make, could do it in a day if lucky with weather)

Just want to back this up. It really is simple to get, almost all ice weather stuff with mobs that can easily be found in northern zones with near constant ice weather.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-06-24 01:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Would using a SMN magic Skill+12 Staff be better than using a Perp-7 Staff?

I mean, For instance if you have a Perp-7 staff, the Elemental drains 2 tics of MP inbetween Summoning and using the Elemental Siphon and releasing.

So if you're benefiting from the full -7perp on those staves for your Elemental, You'd be technically losing 14MP switching from a perp-7 to the SMN magic Skill+12 Staff because of perpetuation costs.

Then again its probably a bit more than +12MP what with Weather/Day Bonuses being a Multiplier after Base is considered...
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-06-25 11:56:09
Link | Quote | Reply

-7 perp staff? Are you comparing the Kirin pole w/ Summoning magic skill +12 to Lv.90 Nirvana or did I miss the addition of some bad *** new weapon in the last update. I think it would be more realistic to compare it to a -6 magian staff. In either scenerio though, +12 skill with just day bonus would beat out a -6 staff and break even with a -7 staff if you lost 2 tics.

I don't summon my Spirits in my Siphon gear, especially since Spirits are basically free with optimal gear now. Using a proper macro you shouldn't even lose more than 1 tic worth of MP between Siphon/Release. The only real cost of Siphon is the MP used to summon the Spirit.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2011-06-25 20:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Alistrianna said:
-7 perp staff? Are you comparing the Kirin pole w/ Summoning magic skill +12 to Lv.90 Nirvana or did I miss the addition of some bad *** new weapon in the last update. I think it would be more realistic to compare it to a -6 magian staff. In either scenerio though, +12 skill with just day bonus would beat out a -6 staff and break even with a -7 staff if you lost 2 tics.

I don't summon my Spirits in my Siphon gear, especially since Spirits are basically free with optimal gear now. Using a proper macro you shouldn't even lose more than 1 tic worth of MP between Siphon/Release. The only real cost of Siphon is the MP used to summon the Spirit.

Well, I wanted to compare optimal to optimal, not Optimal to realistic. But your situation with -6 is fine too... (Seems regardless of the perp- Skill+12 wins)

So basically, Summon in full perp-, Switch Skill > use > Release asap, At best you lose 1 tic... good info.

Edit: By "proper macro" do you mean windower Script macros or do you do this in-hand in-game? If its in-game can i see your macro? I know someone who would love it.

If its windower i would still like to see it as well ;o
 Shiva.Alistrianna
By Shiva.Alistrianna 2011-06-25 23:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's windower script for the gear swap. Having to use in-game macros makes Siphon a bit of a challenge. I just use the following macro though.

/console exec "ElementalSiphon.txt
/jobability "Elemental Siphon" <me> <wait 1>
/pet "Release" <me>

You don't need the wait between the windower script to equip the gear and the use of the JA.