Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-06-24 10:44:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bimbam said:
Quote:
A lot of SMN these days simply suck at their job because they've never been placed in a truly difficult scenario.

The myth that essentially spending more time grinding creates better players I find is completely unfounded. The people who suck at playing various jobs do not suck because they have not faced difficult scenerios, but because they either:
A. Are unwilling to put in the time/research to look stuff up and improve themselves.
B. Have terrible co-ordination or react in an illogical manner under stress (like White Mages running when the monster heads their way, or curing late lol).
C. Do not have the mind set to play a game that actually recquires a touch of thought/maths to excel at.

Give me any job @90. Within half an hour I will have a complete spellcast script setup for it with complete understanding of all it's abilities. Within 2 hours I will probably be better than 90% of the people playing it, though granted my gear could do with some work lol.
(Abyssea + Kparser are my evidence lol.)

In answer to the OP. Did Carby NM & all the avatars barring Fenrir solo as 75 RDM/BLU (seriously easy). Fenrir I soloed @80 BLU purely because I never got round to doing it @75.

While I agree with your statement for pretty much every job in the game, there's things about SMN that aren't written down anywhere, and are hardly mentioned ever. Things you pretty much can only learn with experience.

Example: If you're supertanking a mob and release your avatar, it creates hate and said supertanked mob(s) would come wreak havoc on your party.

Weird things such as this make experience with the job important. Not saying you can't gain experience on the field, but you will not be a perfect SMN after reading guides on how to play the job, etc. You can and will MPK people with your ignorance. @@;
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2011-06-24 11:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Aw come on. You can't skip the Lv20 fights. I remember doing these as a newbie. I think defeating Shiva with my lil carby got my heart pumping more than anything in this game haha!

Well, it felt good back then anyway :p Everything is more fun when you're new...
 Bismarck.Zagen
Server: Bismarck
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2011-06-27 10:23:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Leviathan.Tamian said:
Ok so following your responses I guess I'll go PLD/RDM and beat the **** out of them, except Fenrir...

Sounds like a fun friday night project for me lol. Thanks again for your help guys.
I bet a taco eating blm/rdm with full buffs + pdt gear and manawall 2 hour could walk in and kill fen in less than 2 mins. no worries and not like you lose any pop sets on failing
I have to redo all the fights to get Fenrir fight available so I haven't tried that yet. Also haven't tried Diabolos yet, but for the other primes it takes a little less than a minute if tier V/Ja spell is available. Leviathan took me 1min 8 sec I think so even without V/Ja the fights aren't that bad on BLM.

Never broke Manawall or used a spell/tp move/2hour. The fights are a joke now.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-27 10:29:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I really recommend not doing the lvl 20 capped fights. the free eternal warp to the cloister outweighs the cost

but yes primes are uncapped and a joke. whm rdm blm pld could solo at 75, probably many others. Garuda and leviathan can be slightly more annoying due to healing themselves but overall they're all not too hard just dont walk in with ice resist -30 gear for shiva type behavior
Most I soloed as MNK/NIN as well. Leviathan, Ramuh, and Ifrit. Namely because sky gear gives large bonuses to resistances of their type.
 Lakshmi.Braxus
Server: Lakshmi
user: Braxus
By Lakshmi.Braxus 2011-07-04 20:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Tribalprophet said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I really recommend not doing the lvl 20 capped fights. the free eternal warp to the cloister outweighs the cost

Actually people who do the lvl20 capped fights can now warp to the cloister too afterwards if they want.

Something awesome SE ninja'd in in a recent update.

How so? I've tried. I can get the fork for the lvl 20 fights but it won't let me trade and warp. According to GE/wiki I have to have the quest flagged. How do you flag the quest if you already completed it?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [215 days between previous and next post]
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2012-02-04 18:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I am thinking of lvling SMN but i cant figure out, Do you have to get the whispers from defeating the avatars 2 times? once to fight fenrir and another time to unlock the avatars them selves? Wiki says save whispers to fight fenrir but once u do, that uses all the whispers. please help me out here. srry for the grammar im in a hurry
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-02-04 18:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you need them 3 time 1 for the avatar, 1 for fenrir and 1 for Evokers ring.
 Bahamut.Mizuharu
Server: Bahamut
user: Mizuharu
By Bahamut.Mizuharu 2012-02-04 18:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Could just be pro and Lv20 SMN solo fight the avatars! :< Granted I went SMN24/NIN... Buffs stay on as you enter the BC, so I casted Utsusemi. :x

That, or save the mini-forks to warp to clusters.