WHM Gear Advice
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 13:54:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Clerics pants, then the rest af3+2 for barspell.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nezea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 15:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously...why the eff do people use Atma of the Apocalypse on WHM?
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 15:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Im going to switch from Perfect Attendance to Allure. I was getting out cure'd by 50 on cure5 and almost 100 on cure6. Both of us had 50% cure potency but I was using PA and he was using Allure.

I need to update my whm soon. I wasn't going to official gear it but since I have Roundel now I think i'm going too.

lol so? That doesn't matter all when you can spam 5 and 6 with no regard to MP.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 15:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Why not? Insta cast and auto-reraise.
 Gilgamesh.Joltx
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Joltx
By Gilgamesh.Joltx 2011-06-04 15:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The instant cast doesn't pop often enough to make it a main atma on whm, and if people have grown that lazy to use Reraise, they shouldn't be playing whm in the first place.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 15:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Because auto-reraise is dumb if you can cast Reraise on yourself, and instacast ends up being more annoying than helpful if you try to do a preemptive cure or status removal.

Edit: Ohai Jolt :D
 Fenrir.Camaroz
Server: Fenrir
user: camaroz
By Fenrir.Camaroz 2011-06-04 15:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Since people are here looking for help why dont you put what you use? Is it really that hard to be helpful instead of negative. I get so tired of people like you, nothing useful to say.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-06-04 15:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Since people are here looking for help why dont you put what you use? Is it really that hard to be helpful instead of negative. I get so tired of people like you, nothing useful to say.

I know right? [-] button, how I miss thee!

Zorander, for barspells I'd probably stick with AF3+2 head, hands and feet for proc effect and Blessed briault + AF2 pants for enhanced effect. Stacking enhancing magic skill and MND on the other slots will help bump your potency as well.

Edit: Oh, if you're serious about gearing WHM, then try get a beneficus club also.
 Fenrir.Aleste
Server: Fenrir
user: Aleste
By Fenrir.Aleste 2011-06-04 16:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I 4/5 AF3+2 w/ Cleric Pants for barspells, puts me at 157 resist w/ 4% chance to absorb (give or take).

Allure, Undying and Minikin if I were to pick my poison...

When conserve mp procs it's more or less a free Cure V with AF3 pantaloons, and the extra MND is always welcome. I used to roll with full refresh atmas, but then it's not like I run out of MP.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 16:05:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm honestly perplexed as to why people choose dumb atmas that will increase cures by like 50... Ridiculous lol.

Gilgamesh.Joltx said:
The instant cast doesn't pop often enough to make it a main atma on whm, and if people have grown that lazy to use Reraise, they shouldn't be playing whm in the first place.

It procs often enough for sure. Laziness? Sometimes ***happens and having that is very useful.

Carbuncle.Nezea said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Because auto-reraise is dumb if you can cast Reraise on yourself, and instacast ends up being more annoying than helpful if you try to do a preemptive cure or status removal.

Edit: Ohai Jolt :D

No it doesn't, it sets recast timer to 1 letting you spam the spell again.
By Wilsor 2011-06-04 16:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Geez, I need a huge equipment upgrade, I don't have most of those. lol
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 16:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Carbuncle.Nezea said:

Okay.

Maybe I didn't suggest a specific alternative but since there are some people here who said that Atma of the Apocalypse is good for WHM, I am offering my point of view that it is not, and offering reasons why. If you prefer, next time I'll just make my point by saying "idiots lol" since apparently you find that more helpful and acceptable.

Your rudeness is really helpful and positive too, by the way.

But since you asked, most of the time on WHM I use Minikin, Perfect Attendance and Harmony or Rescuer (usually I'll use Harmony if I know I'll be using a lot of bar spells).
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 16:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
No it doesn't, it sets recast timer to 1 letting you spam the spell again.

It still takes a couple seconds to notice it fired off instantly and to be able to cast a spell again, making your preemptive cure/status removal no longer preemptive.
 Gilgamesh.Rya
Server: Gilgamesh
user: TheRya
By Gilgamesh.Rya 2011-06-04 16:19:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure AtmaOfApoc is unnecessary but you can zombie so much faster! :D
Recast timers and MP could get in the way of mega-zombie tactics!

(surely people do this, right? I don't play enough to know..)
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-06-04 16:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a firm believer in AoA on WHM for two basic reasons.

The Quick Magic procs quite often and can be very useful.

Though it shouldn't and rarely happens, if I have myself in a position where I've been killed in a bad spot
and "can't" get up, with AoA that becomes a moot point.
Can get back to curing and doing my job like nothing even happened.

You can call that lazy or whatever but I look at it as always being able to do whats needed.
My team can rely on me.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-04 16:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

cure 6's recast is long enough to be annoying when you've got a war/sam tanking, or just if you really need to spam cures. it's nice when apoc procs.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 16:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. It really surprises me how many whm use apoc. I figured most who had one or both of the two best curing sets would use atmas to stack mind. If not, then rescuer or harmony if not capped cure potency.

I use allure, undying and minikin.
 Ragnarok.Kogenta
Server: Ragnarok
user: Kogenta
By Ragnarok.Kogenta 2011-06-04 16:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know if was mentiones already, but now zenith pumps can be augmented with up to +4% cure potency, that opens new prospectives to non-roundelearring holders to cap cure potency with full af3+2.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 16:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Yeah. It really surprises me how many whm use apoc. I figured most who had one or both of the two best curing sets would use atmas to stack mind. If not, then rescuer or harmony if not capped cure potency.

lol why... so you can cure for an additional 50 HP? GOLLY GEEPERS. I'll stick with Apoc so when my C5 goes off and I let another go for cureskin after a dmging tp move or heal someone else if there is more than one person taking dmg. You can keep your extra 50 hp which does almost nothing.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-06-04 16:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Kogenta said:
Don't know if was mentiones already, but now zenith pumps can be augmented with up to +4% cure potency, that opens new prospectives to non-roundelearring holders to cap cure potency with full af3+2.
thanks, didn't know this!
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 16:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:

lol why... so you can cure for an additional 50 HP? GOLLY GEEPERS. I'll stick with Apoc so when my C5 goes off and I let another go for cureskin after a dmging tp move or heal someone else if there is more than one person taking dmg. You can keep your extra 50 hp which does almost nothing.

It is more than 50 hp. Apoc ruins my play style. I do not care if I can cast again right away. It is not reliable enough. And between me and my friend, we do not have to worry about counting on the instant cast to keep people alive.

As for the reraise, that is a poor excuse. First thing you should do after getting up is casting reraise. And being smart enough not to die in range.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 16:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's unavoidable sometimes and it happens.

Quote:
And between me and my friend, we do not have to worry about counting on the instant cast to keep people alive.

But you have to worry about the extra 50~100 hp from other atma to keep people alive? None of the atmas past MM are even necessary, they are just small buffers. Apoc gives way more benefits than a measly 50~100 extra hp cured, -enmity that doesn't do ***and small change MP that is useless when you have all that refresh.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

How much are you honestly dying as a WHM in Abyssea anyway? It's practically an indestructible job if you have PDT and MDT sets, as any serious WHM should. And I think it's silly to get Atma of Apocalypse every time you enter, as if you expect that you will die or have to zombie something. If your expectations of it are that high then you should consider finding better people to play with.

I can see why cutting the recast on Cure 5 and Cure 6 could be nice but how often does it honestly help you? If you keep yourself hasted, cast Cure 5, then immediately Cure 6, your Cure 5 recast is already up again, then if you cast it your Cure 6 timer is up again in just a few seconds. You also have lots of other cures to rely on if you're in that much of a pinch. How is this not already enough?
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nezea said:
How much are you honestly dying as a WHM in Abyssea anyway? It's practically an indestructible job if you have PDT and MDT sets, as any serious WHM should. And I think it's silly to get Atma of Apocalypse every time you enter, as if you expect that you will die or have to zombie something. If your expectations of it are that high then you should consider finding better people to play with.

I can see why cutting the recast on Cure 5 and Cure 6 could be nice but how often does it honestly help you? If you keep yourself hasted, cast Cure 5, then immediately Cure 6, your Cure 5 recast is already up again, then if you cast it your Cure 6 timer is up again in just a few seconds. You also have lots of other cures to rely on if you're in that much of a pinch. How is this not already enough?

Compared to what? A measly 50~100 hp that means nothing? -15enmity that isn't doing ***for you? +mp that doesn't do anything? I would rather take the safety buffer of auto reraise, insta cast and TA for trying to proc hexa on fodder NM that need blue.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-06-04 17:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention the added benefit of apoc procing if you are /blm and using stun.
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2011-06-04 17:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
As for the reraise, that is a poor excuse. First thing you should do after getting up is casting reraise. And being smart enough not to die in range.
I'm not going to argue that, I haven't died on WHM in a very very long time,
once Cureskin came out, dying became hard to do.

The reasoning behind Auto-RR is valid but not why i use the Atma.

As Draylo been saying, the main benefit of AoA is the Quick Magic
and that outweighs what Atma could be used in its place.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-06-04 17:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I must have high luck then.

The extra mind does more for me than the instant cast. My play style is preemptive, and that instant cast gets in the way. I do not find myself needing to spam cures, even with more than 6 people getting hit. Curaga my party since I have that useless -50 enm, then cure 4-6 the other parties. Instead of spamming cure 5 and 6 over and over.

Apoc does me more harm than good.
 Carbuncle.Nezea
By Carbuncle.Nezea 2011-06-04 17:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
I must have high luck then.

The extra mind does more for me than the instant cast. My play style is preemptive, and that instant cast gets in the way. I do not find myself needing to spam cures, even with more than 6 people getting hit. Curaga my party since I have that useless -50 enm, then cure 4-6 the other parties. Instead of spamming cure 5 and 6 over and over.

Apoc does me more harm than good.

Pretty much this. A good WHM should be familiar with what the mob can do and cure preemptively whenever possible, not only when you see people's HP bars are low. You have the power to make your own cures "instant" whenever you want if you cast at the appropriate time, instead of relying on some stupid atma to give it to you once in a while.
[+]