WHM DD?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM DD?
WHM DD?
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-25 15:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

we're way past that now Sag this topic is now about fast cast caps we patiently await Nights return
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-25 15:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
I really really really don't understand this mentality where people choose to level white mage and try to make it a melee DD. I mean the hint is in the name.

MAGE.

If you want a DD level a DD for the love of god. I know some people feel they have to go against the grain to achieve some sort of identity but this is simple to understand. White mage is for healing and buffing, if you want to DD play a different job.

Everyone likes to feeel special. That's why you see mages melee and DDs wearing half perle sets in order to prevent the set effect from activating.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-25 15:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
I really really really don't understand this mentality where people choose to level white mage and try to make it a melee DD. I mean the hint is in the name.

MAGE.

If you want a DD level a DD for the love of god. I know some people feel they have to go against the grain to achieve some sort of identity but this is simple to understand. White mage is for healing and buffing, if you want to DD play a different job.
BLUE MAGES SHOULDN'T MELEE, THEY'RE MAGES
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-25 16:01:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:

MAGE.

SE gave whm the tools to dd at times. Denying those times exist would be foolish though

And here's the proof! khthonios mask

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-25 16:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Atk 100 mask?

Post deleted by User.
By Artemicion 2011-05-25 16:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Nuff said
 Shiva.Aaralyn
Server: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-05-25 16:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Before the update it was just cure clogs, orison pantaloons+2 and incantor stone (after consulting with Kalilla about inventory woes).

After the update to fc I was too eager and macroed in everything that was fc or cct that I had. Which was what made me cure in precast gear. I had cure clogs, af3+2 legs, loq, incantor, genbu augment -8, facio gages augment -2, aceso's choker and fc augmented royal redingote. Oh, and -20 from merits.

Now it is just right with merits, facio gages, genbu shield, cure clogs, af3+2 legs and incantor stone.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-05-25 16:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
I really really really don't understand this mentality where people choose to level white mage and try to make it a melee DD. I mean the hint is in the name. MAGE. If you want a DD level a DD for the love of god. I know some people feel they have to go against the grain to achieve some sort of identity but this is simple to understand. White mage is for healing and buffing, if you want to DD play a different job.
BLUE MAGES SHOULDN'T MELEE, THEY'RE MAGES

You know fine well what I mean lol :p

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
I really really really don't understand this mentality where people choose to level white mage and try to make it a melee DD. I mean the hint is in the name. MAGE. If you want a DD level a DD for the love of god. I know some people feel they have to go against the grain to achieve some sort of identity but this is simple to understand. White mage is for healing and buffing, if you want to DD play a different job.
SE gave whm the tools to dd at times. Denying those times exist would be foolish though

Ok bar fighting skeletons with a K club.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-25 16:11:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
/epicfail

/comfort
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-25 16:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Aaralyn said:
Before the update it was just cure clogs, orison pantaloons+2 and incantor stone (after consulting with Kalilla about inventory woes).

After the update to fc I was too eager and macroed in everything that was fc or cct that I had. Which was what made me cure in precast gear. I had cure clogs, af3+2 legs, loq, incantor, genbu augment -8, facio gages augment -2, aceso's choker and fc augmented royal redingote. Oh, and -20 from merits.

Now it is just right with merits, facio gages, genbu shield, cure clogs, af3+2 legs and incantor stone.

Your computer/console/connection speed can determine a lot on your game performance over gear swaps so not everyone, if anyone, will be able to fully exploit the new cap.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-05-25 16:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont think mnk's should sub dnc when telling people to stick to their job.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-05-25 16:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

I'm doing trials douchebag.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-05-25 16:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Pergatory you are completely mistaken, you can ask Terminus and around on Fenrir how much I can do outside abyssea and that was at 75, I can easily main heal and dd. Maybe it is you who is misled.
Not misled in the least, I know full well the capabilities of WHM DD outside Abyssea. Just because I discourage people from taking WHM DD seriously doesn't mean I haven't dabbled in it. Back in the 75 days, I built a solid DD set that most WHMs would kill for. Culacula, Kraken Club, Blessed hands/legs/feet +1, Lava+Kusha rings, Resilient Mantle with STR+1 Acc+2 Atk+15, etc. I tried DD on pretty much everything under the sun before I condemned it. I even developed a bit of a reputation on my server for taking apart Campaign NMs solo on WHM/NIN (again, this was at Lv75). I even tried HNM tanking with Yagrush Poisona spam before they added Divine Benison.

Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively, but it will never compete with a DD of equal caliber. It's a novelty, nothing more. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you're kidding yourself if you think WHM is an awesome DD outside Abyssea.

As far as DDing and healing at the same time, and idiots here spouting BS like they can heal with their eyes closed, I say this: Then you aren't healing. You're curing. There's a difference. If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong or your crew has too many healers and there's no harm in DDing it up. A WHM should be constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc. There is a lot for WHM to do. If you feel like it's easy then it's because you aren't trying. WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle. The more preoccupied you are by trying to melee, the less attention will be on those split-second decisions. I've met countless people who claim to be able to multi-task effectively like this, but every time I've watched them try to do it they fail miserably. The funny thing is, they don't even realize it, they always think they're doing fine but it's usually because the rest of the group is working 10 times harder, or I'm covering the duties they are neglecting.
[+]
By Artemicion 2011-05-25 16:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:

The logic still applies.
Telling a WHM not to DD and play a different class is no different than forcing a MNK to sub warrior or ninja and telling them to level RDM or WHM if they want to heal for the sake of being self-sufficient or otherwise.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-05-25 16:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:

Lol'd
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-05-25 16:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Sheelay said:
Shiva.Aaralyn said:

Your computer/console/connection speed can determine a lot on your game performance over gear swaps so not everyone, if anyone, will be able to fully exploit the new cap.

I was replying to Tweek's question about what made me cure in precast gear. Not saying that was new best precast set for everyone, if that is what you thought I was saying.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-25 16:22:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Compared 5/5 casttime merits, Cure Clogs, Aceso's Choker, Orison Pantaloons +2 (-57% cast time) to all of that plus Veela Cape, Marduk's Jubbah, Loquacious Earring, and Incantor Stone, with and without /RDM, then repeated the test inside Abyssea using Merciless Matriarch and Ambition. My 100% eyeballed suspicions are as follows:

1) You can reduce casting time beyond -50% with a combination of fast cast and -cast time. Of this I am reasonably certain.
2) From my testing inside Abyssea, I *suspect* that there is an attainable cap. If Fast Cast and -cast time interact additively instead of multiplicatively, I'd posit approximately -75% as the new cap.

As to breaking an actual -50% cap on -casttime, I got nothing. This account doesn't have an augmented Genbu's Shield or Campaign waist, so I can't get enough pure -casttime to test.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-05-25 16:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Compared 5/5 casttime merits, Cure Clogs, Aceso's Choker, Orison Pantaloons +2 (-52% cast time) to all of that plus Veela Cape, Marduk's Jubbah, Loquacious Earring, and Incantor Stone, with and without /RDM, then repeated the test inside Abyssea using Merciless Matriarch and Ambition. My 100% eyeballed suspicions are as follows:

1) You can reduce casting time beyond -50% with a combination of fast cast and -cast time. Of this I am reasonably certain.
2) From my testing inside Abyssea, I *suspect* that there is an attainable cap. If Fast Cast and -cast time interact additively instead of multiplicatively, I'd posit approximately -75% as the new cap.

As to breaking an actual -50% cap on -casttime, I got nothing. This account doesn't have an augmented Genbu's Shield and I don't think they've got the Campaign waist either, but if they do I'll try that.
57% on your first setup.

Also don't forget about haste for recast timer.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-05-25 16:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
The logic still applies. Telling a WHM not to DD and play a different class is no different than forcing a MNK to sub warrior or ninja and telling them to level RDM or WHM if they want to heal for the sake of being self-sufficient or otherwise.

But we are not talking about being self sufficient. We are talking about playing DD on a white mage. It's a waste of space in a PT and is only an option that can be considered for solo and I would like to know if you can think of a situation besides FOV/GOV where you would solo as a white mage.

Nobody is going to invite a white mage to a PT or event or what not if they say oh hey I'm not going to heal I'm going to DD. No, that's what the DD are for, your job is to heal, just like I would not turn up on monk and tell them I will not DD instead I'll hang back and use my TP to main heal!

Anyone that starts leveling white mage with an aspiration to DD is missing the point completely. It is a complete contradiction to the purpose of white mage. It's like deliberately gimping yourself from the beginning.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2011-05-25 16:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of fast cast, I noticed that my Cures were landing in fast cast gear instead of potency gear right around the time I started stacking fast cast atmas on top of the following on WHM/SCH with Light Arts up:

Winged Wand
Incantor Stone
Orison Locket
Loquacious Earring
Ebur Bliaut (-3% healing cast)
Veela Cape
Orison Pantaloons +2
Cure Clogs
5/5 merits

If I added Merciless Matriarch on top of this, Cures were too fast. Same with Ambition + Future Fabulous.

By ditching Veela Cape & Winged Wand, I was able to get the potency to start kicking in again even with fast cast atmas.

I'd say if you have the obvious cast time reductions (5/5 merits, Cure Clogs, Orison+2) then you need about another 10% on top of that for WHM/RDM, maybe 15% for WHM/SCH, to be at the limit for Cures on a <wait 1> timer.

P.S. In regards to this:
Quote:
As to breaking an actual -50% cap on -casttime, I got nothing.
If your cures land in fast cast gear, and your macro has <wait 1>, then you're already past the -50% mark. Cures take 2.5 seconds to cast, so 1 second is -60% cast time.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-25 16:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Sagittario said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
The logic still applies. Telling a WHM not to DD and play a different class is no different than forcing a MNK to sub warrior or ninja and telling them to level RDM or WHM if they want to heal for the sake of being self-sufficient or otherwise.

But we are not talking about being self sufficient. We are talking about playing DD on a white mage. It's a waste of space in a PT and is only an option that can be considered for solo and I would like to know if you can think of a situation besides FOV/GOV where you would solo as a white mage.

Nobody is going to invite a white mage to a PT or event or what not if they say oh hey I'm not going to heal I'm going to DD. No, that's what the DD are for., your job is to heal. Just like I would not turn up on monk and tell them I will not DD I'll hang back and use /dnc to main heal.

It is a complete contradiction to the purpose of white mage.
i'm sure a whm could keep up fine in an xp party in abyssea, but outside of that, it's probably better not to. it's not a waste of space, because if you can heal and still do damage, then you're helping more than if you were healing and not doing damage.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Aleste
user: Aleste
By Fenrir.Aleste 2011-05-25 16:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Part of me wonders why people think just because I'm standing in range autoattacking that I suddenly forget how to cast anything.

There are some decent gear choices to melee as whitemage, and while you shouldn't melee against 70% of the monsters in this game as whitemage, it can often be more efficient for the remaining 30% to put yourself in range and *** our esuna/cura2.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-25 16:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Quipto said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Compared 5/5 casttime merits, Cure Clogs, Aceso's Choker, Orison Pantaloons +2 (-52% cast time) to all of that plus Veela Cape, Marduk's Jubbah, Loquacious Earring, and Incantor Stone, with and without /RDM, then repeated the test inside Abyssea using Merciless Matriarch and Ambition. My 100% eyeballed suspicions are as follows:

As to breaking an actual -50% cap on -casttime, I got nothing. This account doesn't have an augmented Genbu's Shield and I don't think they've got the Campaign waist either, but if they do I'll try that.
57% on your first setup.

Also don't forget about haste for recast timer.
5% per merit, hurr. Thanks for catching that. This was purely casttime oriented so I didn't bother with haste.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-25 16:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:

I'd say if you have the obvious cast time reductions (5/5 merits, Cure Clogs, Orison+2) then you need about another 10% on top of that for WHM/RDM, maybe 15% for WHM/SCH, to be at the limit for Cures on a <wait 1> timer.

<wait 0.3>
 Shiva.Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-05-25 16:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said:
Fenrir.Camaroz said:
Pergatory you are completely mistaken, you can ask Terminus and around on Fenrir how much I can do outside abyssea and that was at 75, I can easily main heal and dd. Maybe it is you who is misled.
Not misled in the least, I know full well the capabilities of WHM DD outside Abyssea. Just because I discourage people from taking WHM DD seriously doesn't mean I haven't dabbled in it. Back in the 75 days, I built a solid DD set that most WHMs would kill for. Culacula, Kraken Club, Blessed hands/legs/feet +1, Lava+Kusha rings, Resilient Mantle with STR+1 Acc+2 Atk+15, etc. I tried DD on pretty much everything under the sun before I condemned it. I even developed a bit of a reputation on my server for taking apart Campaign NMs solo on WHM/NIN (again, this was at Lv75). I even tried HNM tanking with Yagrush Poisona spam before they added Divine Benison. Again, like I said in my first post, it can be done and it can be done effectively, but it will never compete with a DD of equal caliber. It's a novelty, nothing more. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you're kidding yourself if you think WHM is an awesome DD outside Abyssea. As far as DDing and healing at the same time, and idiots here spouting BS like they can heal with their eyes closed, I say this: Then you aren't healing. You're curing. There's a difference. If you're not too busy to swing a hammer as a WHM then you're doing it wrong or your crew has too many healers and there's no harm in DDing it up. A WHM should be constantly busy keeping up buffs like Prot/Shell/Auspice/Barspells/Boosts, casting Haste/Refresh, Cures, preventative stuff like Stoneskinga & Regens, ailment removal, etc. There is a lot for WHM to do. If you feel like it's easy then it's because you aren't trying. WHM is an endless game of optimization, no matter how good you are you'll still have to make split-second decisions which can affect the outcome of the battle. The more preoccupied you are by trying to melee, the less attention will be on those split-second decisions. I've met countless people who claim to be able to multi-task effectively like this, but every time I've watched them try to do it they fail miserably. The funny thing is, they don't even realize it, they always think they're doing fine but it's usually because the rest of the group is working 10 times harder, or I'm covering the duties they are neglecting.

Thank you. That's everything I wanted to say and more. Typing on a phone makes me lazy.