Have You Ever Checked A ??? And Almost Died From An NM Popping On A Quest You Long Forgot?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » have you ever checked a ??? and almost died from an NM popping on a quest you long forgot?
have you ever checked a ??? and almost died from an NM popping on a quest you long forgot?
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2009-03-09 17:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

that effen kraken nm in ssg almost took me down on 75sam >.< i wasnt ready i swear but i got em in the end and didnt even two hour. now i dont click strange ??? unless i think i can run away
 Midgardsormr.Corwen
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Corwen
By Midgardsormr.Corwen 2009-03-09 17:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

A bit similar but back when CoP first came out I clicked a random ??? in Pso'xja on a 50ish job and spawned a couple of NM dolls which proceeded to own me rather badly. Ever since then I've learned not to click on random ???s that I don't know what they are for lol.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-09 17:44:29
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Sea Serpent Grotto.

Lv60-ish Blu/Nin.

Me: "Oh look, a ???..."
???: "Your heart starts to beat in terror!"
Me: "WTF ahhhh! Guys help!"
*thinggy uses Cross-counter*
*Haseyo takes 1200 points of damage*

Friends came over and killed it somehow, all for a stupid Light Shield c.c
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-03-09 17:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was level 10 someone in my ls told me to trade an item to the ??? near the Tele crystal.

Needless to say, Goblin Archeologist was not amused.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-09 17:48:15

Every time I try that thing, he always wants more...I don't even bother anymore ; ;

But, the curious George that I am, I check every ??? I come across, unless I'm far in an area where HPing and returning would take a long, long time. I don't mind dying so it's cool. 8)
 Shiva.Ethereal
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-03-09 17:51:24

While exping on BST in La Theine (I must have been around level 13) I saw this "Fallen Egg", not knowing what it was I decided to check it. Big mistake, that bird NM jumped out and proceeded to own me, and I threw as many pets at it as I could but quickly ran out and lost it at like 63%.

There should be more randomly spawned NMs. It'd be nice to randomly check something and have something come out at you instead of killing placeholders for hours on end.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-09 18:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone's done this one, and I personally have done it like 10 times.

Out in Caedarva Mire at Azouph staging point, down in the water, there's a ??? that spawns a Lamia NM and a Qutrub NM. I've done it like 5 times in a party and they watched me die in 2 seconds flat.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-09 18:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ethereal said:
While exping on BST in La Theine (I must have been around level 13) I saw this "Fallen Egg", not knowing what it was I decided to check it. Big mistake, that bird NM jumped out and proceeded to own me, and I threw as many pets at it as I could but quickly ran out and lost it at like 63%.

There should be more randomly spawned NMs. It'd be nice to randomly check something and have something come out at you instead of killing placeholders for hours on end.

I tried to deliberately pop that guy for like a whole afternoon once (he drops the Van Pendant, which I wanted for some reason back in the day lol) and got the shaft. Since the spawns for the egg are spread out so far, it was pretty damn frustrating running back and forth to never get him ^^
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-09 18:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cant' think of doing that precisely, but during a mission or quest, i clicked on a ??? knowing i had to kill a NM, but thought id get a CS first. I won, but wasnt ready.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-03-09 18:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
When I was level 10 someone in my ls told me to trade an item to the ??? near the Tele crystal.

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Ethereal said:

I tried to deliberately pop that guy for like a whole afternoon once (he drops the Van Pendant, which I wanted for some reason back in the day lol) and got the shaft. Since the spawns for the egg are spread out so far, it was pretty damn frustrating running back and forth to never get him ^^

I tried numerous times on 3 characters. Usually pops with 1-2hrs. 1/1 each spawn ^^

Alijah said:

I hate that NM but I ALWAYS search for the ??? after a tele. I took him as a 50PLD/WAR once and had him at about 2% hp when I was rushed. Go figure that was right after my 2hr wore and I was at 20%hp.

I will probaly be hunting him and every NM that killed me until I die or quit FFxi
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-03-09 18:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not exactly that. But I have run in to random NM's and started attacking them without thinking. Still remember when I had my first job (THF) in the mid 40's and thought I was invincible. Ran in to Waraxe Beak and figure, "how hard can it be, he's in a low lv area"

Yea he was pretty hard, took him like a whopping 1.5 sec to kill me.

Went back there on purpose for my revenge as 65ish figure I'll give him this time. Needles to say, I still owe him.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-09 19:03:21

Omg that Prince and the Poroggo quest CS...; ;
 Odin.Arnor
Server: Odin
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2009-03-09 19:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

the mire at the pond the lamia and qutrub NMs lol
tried fighting it afterwards with friends qutrub raped me while a blm friend of mine died by 2 of my friends charmed by the lamia lol
 Phoenix.Mayuri
Server: Phoenix
user: Ricard
By Phoenix.Mayuri 2009-03-09 19:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Dmnone said:
that effen kraken nm in ssg almost took me down on 75sam >.< i wasnt ready i swear but i got em in the end and didnt even two hour. now i dont click strange ??? unless i think i can run away

i remember my first time in SSG back in 04 i clicked on that and died very quickly D:
 Gilgamesh.Brineri
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Brineri
By Gilgamesh.Brineri 2009-03-09 19:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

well.....ahem... the tele crystal goblin
i popped it while waiting for a friend and i was fighting it easy on MNK75/NIN37
it was at like 5% so instead of asuran i used dragon kick just messin around and apparently Frag Toss hits u for over 1.2k and i died and deleveled in Tahrongi canyon on mnk75

i also popped the SSG kraken on whm75 and ran like hell, someone who was with me killed it though
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-09 19:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually try to avoid ??? if at all possible, my wittle tarutaru head is jsut too damn big to have it mashed into tarutaru potato salad ; ;
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-03-09 20:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

that frog quest CS is by far 10X worse than dying to anything in game ... at least you can home point and end the death music, that damn CS never ends. Then it happens again when you zone out from one of the towers, did it to me on way to an exp party. They dropped me before the CS ended too ...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-09 20:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I did...few months ago I said ooo wonder if this does anything click and bam! chigoe comes out and rapes me! god damn chigoes.

few yrs ago i was running in lufaise meadows and I saw this ??? near a lake running by, next thing you know 3 big *** orcs come out and and start beating on me. good thing i had ppl in a pt with me, we killed all 3 lol
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-03-09 20:50:32

Troll Speculator has chased me to the zone about 3 or 4 times. You'd think I'd learn by now not to click the ???...
 Siren.Bungie
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-03-09 20:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

did it 1 time on the isle place in bibiki bay.

saw a ??? and i clicked it and a bunch of mandys jumped me, was a decent fight, i won. I was pretty shocked though, wasnt expecting to get ambushed.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-09 21:01:23

Oh yeah, I remember that quest.
I also randomly hit a ??? in some mines, happened to be my RSE NM thing lol.
No satchet (sp?) dropped though ; ;
 Ragnarok.Rusko
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rusko
By Ragnarok.Rusko 2009-03-09 21:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

LOL this is so funny this is a new thread. This happend to me a few days ago, I was out in pug isle in bibiki and I have an OCD like habit of touching every ??? I see. So i touch this one and before i know it theres 9 mandys on me! I mean I easily dispatched them but it was a shock XD
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-09 22:18:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate you all! I always click on random ???'s hoping for something like this, and I always get nothing! I got the orcs in Lufaise on my friends 75 bst, but they went down stupidly easy :(

Although, the goblin archaeologist very nearly killed me and my friend once (75 rdm and 75 blu) lol. Frag bomb hurts!
 Odin.Arnor
user: arnor
By Odin.Arnor 2009-03-10 03:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

ive only seen the high lvl archaeologist once lol 1 shotted a 75 thf friend of mine with frag bomb then 1 of my carbys lol i ended up winning and splitting with thf was laughing my *** off htough XD blazza if you really want go talk to lady near north zone out of nashmau get long as cutscenes then hit the mire lol the lamia and qutrub for the quest are a tough fight and all you get for winning is a few gold pieces XD
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-10 04:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Arnor said:
ive only seen the high lvl archaeologist once lol 1 shotted a 75 thf friend of mine with frag bomb then 1 of my carbys lol i ended up winning and splitting with thf was laughing my *** off htough XD blazza if you really want go talk to lady near north zone out of nashmau get long as cutscenes then hit the mire lol the lamia and qutrub for the quest are a tough fight and all you get for winning is a few gold pieces XD
I've done this for a friend, that's where I got my 14k SC lol, really didn't find it that tough with a few people (I very seriously doubt I could solo it)
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-10 13:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Accidentally clicking on the NPC in Aht Urhgan, then having to sit through 20 minutes of them talking about frogs.. or something.

I DID THIS XD
 Fenrir.Omnitank
Server: Fenrir
user: Omnitank
By Fenrir.Omnitank 2009-03-10 14:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I clicked on this ??? in Santuary of Zi' Tah and some tree popped and I got all scarred and paniced. I think I might have shrieked out loud. When I finally composed myself I soon realized it was a baby and I owned it on my Thf after that.
 Asura.Misuto
Server: Asura
By Asura.Misuto 2009-03-10 14:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Exploring in Pso'xia when the CoP expansion first came out with a couple friends. we were like 65ish, too lazy to level any further. Pre-TOAU it was harder to level up, ya'know. Anyway, my friend goes in this room and hits a ???... all we see, standing outside of the room, is two Gargoyles pop and the door close as he's running towards us in desperation. It was something out of a movie or somethin, the door shuts and he's locked in and destroyed by the mobs. The mobs then go through the door and lay waste to me and my other friend on the stairs.

I wish there was more of those... random ???'s that pop NM's and lock you in with them with no way to escape the imminent destruction.
 Fairy.Mykoto
user: Mykoto
By Fairy.Mykoto 2009-03-10 16:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, one time before I ever started ZM's I was farming with a friend in Zi'Tah, and my friend went afk, so I ran around, just exploring the 'off-the-map' section, since that was where we were farming, and I came across the headstone. Well, my friend had not returned yet, so I guess curiousity killed the cat, and I clicked it, and Doomed Pilgrims appeared and killed me before I could even turn around to run x.X Thankfully I had reraise up though hehe.

Lol I still click random ???'s hoping to find stuff like this, however I make sure I buff up fully before clicking them now xD
First Page 2