PLD DDing?
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-03-08 17:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

im a PLD 66 and ive been wondering if a PLD could ever DD and even be good at. personally i think they could be ive been getting DD gear for when i campaign. what do you guys think?
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-03-08 17:44:23
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

DDing is futile as a Paladin. Give it up. NOW.

!!!
 Sylph.Leumeroc
Server: Sylph
user: leumeroc
By Sylph.Leumeroc 2009-03-08 17:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD DD= fun to mess around on in campaign, besieged, helping out friends on missions and quests and some oddball situations. Not really viable for DD in normal situations unless you have super pimp gear, even then will only bring you on par with mediocre true DD jobs.
My suggestion: if you wanna DD, lvl a DD job
If you must DD on pld grab yourself a haub and check out some of the pld dd threads on the wiki forums..some good advice there
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-08 17:54:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been covered in a few topics, but it seems the general idea is that PLD "shouldn't" DD.

IMO: If a PLD is geared "right" (as in, completely 100% DD, not some scary hybrid), then it can hold it's own, but won't EVER out DD a real DD.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1036

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=1311

There's probably other ones hanging about, maybe worth putting up "PLD DD" in the search box and having a look through the results, I only checked the first couple of pages >.>

Don't even gear up for DD in PT's. Campaign, sure.

But in PT's, focus on PLD stats... DEF, Enmity, HP, MP, VIT etc.

In the time a WAR does 55k DMG in a PT, I do 9k DMG. (LV57 sync PT)

Why? Because I'm using tanking gear, healing myself, /heal using Pluto's staff etc. I keep hate more from healing myself than I do from my melee.

Like Leumeroc said, if you wanna DD, level a DD. PLD is not built to be a DD, and sure as heck isn't your job in most situations. :s
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-08 18:14:33

It has the available functionality to DD, but by no means is it what it's designed to do. Same thing goes for warrior. It has the utility and ability to tank, however for the most part it's best performance comes from DDing. Except it's just the opposite for PLD.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-03-08 18:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't listen to these guys. Tanking gear is pointless in parties. Gear for DD even if it only makes you a weak DD at best. It will still make exp go faster and it's the only way you'll get parties at higher levels.
 Asura.Celene
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-03-08 18:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend's PLD is a good exaple She's spent many, many moons in Nyzul and dropped gil on -good- DD gear.

A pimped PLD can out DD an avarage DD, but a pimped DD can always out damaged a pimped PLD, understand?

:] Unless you can afford to dump time in money into gear (you should anyways, but PLD required extra work!), I wouldn't do it in anything other than goofing around. Or, if you're lucky to join meripo as PLD, please please wear some form of DD...
Even if it's AH onri stuff, or something.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-08 18:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not DDing on PLD in some way, shape or form (Atonement spam counts here, very much so) then you should really progress your playing as a PLD.
 Seraph.Greyfin
Server: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 19:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

DD PLD has many uses, i would not be looking for information about that here though.
Try alla or KI, read some stickies, and you should get a good grasp of why a hybrid set up is superior to lolTurtle setup

All those telling you it sucks, learn to read some real material, not the 2004 guide to FFXI :)
 Bahamut.Ziggz
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-08 19:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

wouldn't do it in a party/LS events just cuz everyone will make fun of you or boot you even. in a party, defense and enmity is first priority. any other time as others said, do what you want. a pld wasn't meant to b a DD and a sword will never be a DD weapon (xcept in the hand of a select few DRK/NIN). if you wish to DD tho on the side, any atk stuff will up your dmg and STR gear will up your vorpal blade.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-08 19:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Greyfin said:
you should get a good grasp of why a hybrid set up is superior to lolTurtle setup

I hope that wasn't an attempt at insulting my ls >.>

In all honesty, I've yet to see a moderately respectable "hybrid gear" PLD.

Yes, gogo +10 shield skill while you /NIN with 2 swords..

Like I said, if a person IS going to try PLD DD, then do it right, dont make some crappy mix and match.
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 19:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Not insulting your LS, not even sure how it would have been a insult to it.

The truth is a good PLD can create a DD set up while still tanking properly, the more dmg output you create the better hate is held and the faster the mob dies as a collective effort of the party.

If you simply go with a old fashioned DEF/VIT set up, which any experienced PLD will tell you its a joke considering how the math for VIT and DEF work, there will not be much progress on the side of the tank itself.

Of course having Atonement makes things much easier, since it allows you to do dmg based upon your hate.

While /nin , do not dual wield, instead, do Sword /Shield, dual wielding only slows down TP Gain, if you have a Joy-toy that is.

I'll post some links if need be, but doing a quick search will show some results that may surprise some of the newer PLD players.
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 19:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, just checked your profile XD

sorry about the turtle comment hahah
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-08 19:47:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I may have misunderstood the line I quoted you on, but my LS is called "Turtle", and with me not being a PLD, I generally don't pay attention to names given to different builds by the players.

After reading this post, I'm running along the assumption that "Turtle setup" is a DEF/VIT heavy setup that relies more on not being hit for higher numbers than anything else. Feel free to correct me, but my opinions are based loosely on the few "DD" PLD that I've seen.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-08 19:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm a 75 pld and i can say that there is a difference from using a taco to using sushi. i can see the dmg dealt to me difference and i can see the dmg i deal difference. the only time i see a DD setup pld being viable is in merit partys. the more damage you take in a party, the more enmity you lose. so it is perhaps best 90% of the time to just stick to all out DEF because there is a notable difference.
i also fail to see how dual wield, which is a lower delay attack than normal, lowers tp gain. to my knowledge a ninja using full dual wield gear will get 100 tp faster than one without...
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 19:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja yes, but we are talking PLD, the difference in TP gain and delay are different for both jobs.

PLD/NIN with a mix of Shield+ gear, and ACC/ATK and Haste at later lvls will do better than a DEF/VIT Set up , now this also depends on the type of mob you are fighting.
Not all mobs act the same, so you have to take into consideration what you are fighting.

If lets say its a lvl 65 pt fighting birds, well a DD set up can work out just fine. Now if that same party synced down to 61 and fighting those exact same birds, well there will be a problem.
Overcamping can cripple a PLD DD set up and thus the def/vit set up will come out easier to use since you would be getting hit for less and you wouldnt have enough acc/skill to hit it normally.

Also, what are you doing getting hit while /nin, this isnt /war ya know =P

hah jk
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 19:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh correction to my previous post, PLD/WAR with a mix of shield+ gear

/nin is only for big stuff, and really isnt a viable sub while doing exp from 1-73
 Gilgamesh.Lamech
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Lamech
By Gilgamesh.Lamech 2009-03-08 20:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Atonement FTW~
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-03-08 20:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

if ur going to DD, i'd suggest going /WAR, unless you need shadows to avoid AoE. Atonement is required to do really nice damage, but Vorpal can be ok if you have good sword skill/accuracy.

My current PLD DD setup:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=58272
i also have +8 skill from merits
 Asura.Korpg
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-03-08 20:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Aledacia said:
Don't even gear up for DD in PT's. Campaign, sure.

But in PT's, focus on PLD stats... DEF, Enmity, HP, MP, VIT etc.

In the time a WAR does 55k DMG in a PT, I do 9k DMG. (LV57 sync PT)

Why? Because I'm using tanking gear, healing myself, /heal using Pluto's staff etc. I keep hate more from healing myself than I do from my melee.

Like Leumeroc said, if you wanna DD, level a DD. PLD is not built to be a DD, and sure as heck isn't your job in most situations. :s

Celene said:
My friend's PLD is a good exaple She's spent many, many moons in Nyzul and dropped gil on -good- DD gear.

A pimped PLD can out DD an avarage DD, but a pimped DD can always out damaged a pimped PLD, understand?

:] Unless you can afford to dump time in money into gear (you should anyways, but PLD required extra work!), I wouldn't do it in anything other than goofing around. Or, if you're lucky to join meripo as PLD, please please wear some form of DD...
Even if it's AH onri stuff, or something.

Greyfin said:
Not insulting your LS, not even sure how it would have been a insult to it.

The truth is a good PLD can create a DD set up while still tanking properly, the more dmg output you create the better hate is held and the faster the mob dies as a collective effort of the party.

If you simply go with a old fashioned DEF/VIT set up, which any experienced PLD will tell you its a joke considering how the math for VIT and DEF work, there will not be much progress on the side of the tank itself.

Of course having Atonement makes things much easier, since it allows you to do dmg based upon your hate.

While /nin , do not dual wield, instead, do Sword /Shield, dual wielding only slows down TP Gain, if you have a Joy-toy that is.

I'll post some links if need be, but doing a quick search will show some results that may surprise some of the newer PLD players.

Ziggz said:
i'm a 75 pld and i can say that there is a difference from using a taco to using sushi. i can see the dmg dealt to me difference and i can see the dmg i deal difference. the only time i see a DD setup pld being viable is in merit partys. the more damage you take in a party, the more enmity you lose. so it is perhaps best 90% of the time to just stick to all out DEF because there is a notable difference.
i also fail to see how dual wield, which is a lower delay attack than normal, lowers tp gain. to my knowledge a ninja using full dual wield gear will get 100 tp faster than one without...

Erikthecleric said:
if ur going to DD, i'd suggest going /WAR, unless you need shadows to avoid AoE. Atonement is required to do really nice damage, but Vorpal can be ok if you have good sword skill/accuracy.

My current PLD DD setup:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=58272
i also have +8 skill from merits

Lots of different opinions here. Good for discussion, but nobody is discussing it much. Probably because this subject has been discussed so many times before anyway.

Personally, I would go whatever you feel like doing. I got my PLD to 37 (yes, sublevel, and I will eventually get it up there someday) by evasion+ gears. Yes, evasion+ gears. Not really tanking gears, nor DD gears (although whatever equipments that I can't get for evasion + usually goes for VIT+ Enmity +) but a weak *** NIN gear. Surprising enough, I held hate rather well in those parties, and I kept my damage at a minimum usually. Although its still nothing like endgame tanking, I have been evading hits like a THF (or a better geared THF) and that really helps on my self-cures alot.

But basically, do whatever you feel like. Many people have their opinions on this matter, but why let them deside on how to play your game?
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-03-08 21:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Many people have their opinions on this matter, but why let them deside on how to play your game?

Elvaton said:
what do you guys think?

We arent "deciding" for him, we are telling him what we found worked.
 Bahamut.Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-08 21:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

why let people decide how you play? because this game has been out since 2001 and most of what we do, we do for a reason. and don't forget it's a multiplayer RPG, not a play how i feel like cuz who gives a crap about the ppl i play with game. if that's how you feel then lvl solo or don't play an online game.
 Asura.Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-03-08 21:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

i just wanted some input on what you guys think but either way im gonna get DD gear for my PLD
 Bahamut.Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-08 22:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Elvaton said:
i just wanted some input on what you guys think but either way im gonna get DD gear for my PLD

thats cool. i had a DD setup for my pld as well. i eventually sold it for the extra money. i can't stress enough though, how important it is that you don't wear it in a party without at least asking. for your sake and the sake of other's. you will eventually run into some elitist that will boot you out of the party no questions asked for pulling a DD paladin out...
 Asura.Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-03-08 22:07:29
Link | Quote | Reply

yea you wont ever catch me tanking in a xp party in DD gear
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-03-08 22:24:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope that elitist at least knows what he's talking about since the informed elitist would know that DD PLD > DEF/VIT PLD and would know how to properly choose a camp.

Or, you could wear CHR gear, intimidate go!

Tanking in a party with DD gear isnt a bad thing, ***is situational.
Hope you at least read some of what i said in earlier posts. haha
 Bahamut.Neowrath
user: Neowrath
By Bahamut.Neowrath 2009-03-08 22:43:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a brief explanation.

DD WHEN...

You're fighting VT or low IT. Your DEF and VIT will cap out much easier on these mobs, making most of your "tank" gear go to waste. At the same time, these mobs have less evasion and defense (relative to level correction functions), meaning you'll be able to hit more accurately and for more damage.

DON'T DD WHEN...

Overcamping and fighting IT++. You'll need all the DEF, HP, and VIT you can muster to survive. In order to be an AVERAGE DD on these mobs, you will need to devote your entire gear set to dealing damage (which is what all DDs do, on every single mob they fight). This detracts from your survivability (you'll take a f*cking beating from the mob and you're MP won't be able to keep up) in exchange for being an extremely weak DD.

NOTE: A turtle tank loses a lot of its sheen on VT / low IT mobs. The only way to not suck on these mobs is to, 1.) Cure bomb people when they inevitably pull hate off you, or 2.) Start gearing for DD to simultaneously generate hate with your sword(s) AND flash / cure / provoke. DD'ing is a limitless supply of hate, while MP is quite finite. Hence, why a DD PLD should be used under some circumstances.

Neowrath said:
Here's a brief explanation.

DD WHEN...

You're fighting VT or low IT. Your DEF and VIT will cap out much easier on these mobs, making most of your "tank" gear go to waste. At the same time, these mobs have less evasion and defense (relative to level correction functions), meaning you'll be able to hit more accurately and for more damage.

DON'T DD WHEN...

Overcamping and fighting IT++. You'll need all the DEF, HP, and VIT you can muster to survive. In order to be an AVERAGE DD on these mobs, you will need to devote your entire gear set to dealing damage (which is what all DDs do, on every single mob they fight). This detracts from your survivability (you'll take a f*cking beating from the mob and you're MP won't be able to keep up) in exchange for being an extremely weak DD.

NOTE: A turtle tank loses a lot of its sheen on VT / low IT mobs. The only way to not suck on these mobs is to, 1.) Cure bomb people when they inevitably pull hate off you, or 2.) Start gearing for DD to simultaneously generate hate with your sword(s) AND flash / cure / provoke. DD'ing is a limitless supply of hate, while MP is quite finite. Hence, why a DD PLD should be used under some circumstances.

Would this mean Hauby and so on are worthwhile for lower level PLD's to buy, as long as they use it under the correct circumstances?

Lower as in EXP PT level, versus meripo/endgame, of course.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-03-08 22:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Haubergeon(+1) is one of the best PLD bodies in the game used properly; the difference in damage taken between this and AF1 is negligable; you should always be wearing Haubergeon(+1) for idle if you are hitting the mob.
First Page 2 3