Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21725 21726 21727 ... 22553 22554 22555
By RadialArcana 2020-10-16 13:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI is made with an engine that was custom made for it 20 years ago, they don't even have the staff anywhere that is fluent enough with it to make this work. If they could, they would need to buy new servers to deal with that kind of mass traffic from all those servers at once (current hardware they use will not be able to deal with this) and program a backend system to deal with all the requests between them. This would be a monumental task to implement, even modern titles so there is no way it would ever happen on an old one.

Aside from that, they would never do it anyway because of the abuse possibilities and RMT explosion it would bring in. Does WoW even have cross server broker systems, where are you all getting this idea from cause I've never seen it implemented anywhere else on these kinds of games (not that i take much notice).

If you want to spend millions implementing something like this you have to show a way it will make more money, there is no way they would make more money adding this. If anything it would lose them money, cause of all the "traveling salesmen"
By RadialArcana 2020-10-16 13:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
are those deer dead or just taking a nap >_>?

Drugged / darted most likely. When you kill something you don't put it on cushions and soft bedding.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-10-16 13:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Rooks said: »
Thunderjet said: »
i swear they need to merge all the low pop servers
Keep your *** mitts off
^
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-10-16 13:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

Aside from that, they would never do it anyway because of the abuse possibilities and RMT explosion it would bring in. Does WoW even have cross server broker systems, where are you all getting this idea from cause I've never seen it implemented anywhere else on these kinds of games (not that i take much notice).

If you want to spend millions implementing something like this you have to show a way it will make more money, there is no way they would make more money adding this. If anything it would lose them money, cause of all the "traveling salesmen"

I think there would be a very violent adjustment period as prices from 16 unique economies stabilize, no doubt. But as I say that, I also am aware enough to know that those economies aren't independent right now. Prices are artificially high for extremely rare items on low population servers...and most of those items that get listed at those inflated prices are transfers who buy cheaper, then cross servers. Either during free campaigns or even scheduled "shopping trips". Isn't that a form of abusing the system?

I think rooks said it better than my tech-illiterate *** ever could in terms of possible cost benefit for SE. If its possible due to 20 years of cobweb coding hanging all over it.

*edit- but in the end, I do agree they wont' give up the cash cow of server transfer fees. Its just too easy for them to make money doing absolutely nothing versus such a major change.

In regards to "where are we getting this idea"- I don't play any other online games, so can't testify to those, but I have always desired it from the standpoint of staring at this site with default setting of a small server, lamenting that what I want/need isn't listed, stalking the AH via AH/bazaar alerts, and doing unwanted shouts in mhaura, all the while seeing 5 of them listed on Asura, and even at a lower price. I get upset at having to choose between the server life I prefer, of the convienence of the larger ones.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-10-16 15:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »

What? No. A change like that would not cost millions. The AH code that would need to change has nothing to do with the client, which just makes requests to AH servers (which are separate from zone servers). There would be three changes:

- Adjust the core AH code to not be server specific. There's definitely some way to uniquely identify characters across servers, so the only hard part would be figuring out how they'd want to handle old AH history (and honestly, they'd probably just instance a "new" Auction House with a blank history and start from there).

- Update the clients to all point to the same AH, instead of the server specific ones.

- Make the hardware adjustments. This is the part that almost makes it feasible, because if their colo/hardware costs for One Big AH are lower than Sixteen Smaller Ones this ends up becoming a real cost savings. The big one would almost certainly not need to be 16x the strength of the smaller ones, since, you know, not every server is packing 4k+ people anymore. Server costs add up.

This would be a small, targeted change to a non-engine-dependent piece of code that any competent developer could implement in reasonably short order and would almost certainly pay for itself in under a year. This is why I say it's a function of them wanting separate auction houses, not a function of there being no other way for it to work.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-10-16 15:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I imagine they're just VMs running in a cluster anyway. When they did their migration I can't imagine they went physical>physical.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-10-16 15:33:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I imagine they're just VMs running in a cluster anyway. When they did their migration I can't imagine they went physical>physical.
I mean, they didn't go to AWS or anything, so if your supposition is that they're running docker containers on some larger server they still maintain, sure, maybe? I would believe that about the AH instances since they don't actually do that much work at all; everything they do that matters is going to be handled by whatever behemoth they have Oracle chugging away on. (And that Oracle box is almost certainly bare metal.)
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-10-16 15:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
are those deer dead or just taking a nap >_>?
No blood, also they are fawns under 5 - 6 months old. So nap time.
By Jetackuu 2020-10-16 16:17:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Jetackuu said: »
I mean, they didn't go to AWS or anything, so if your supposition is that they're running docker containers on some larger server they still maintain, sure, maybe? I would believe that about the AH instances since they don't actually do that much work at all; everything they do that matters is going to be handled by whatever behemoth they have Oracle chugging away on. (And that Oracle box is almost certainly bare metal.)

I mean I was thinking vmware, xenserver most likely, I guess they could be windows VMs or some inflated nonsense but don't see the reason for it.

I still feel sad when I had to toss a brand new oracle server because the place I was working at scraped the project after they bought it. $30,000 server easily, scraped... I took it off the pallet it came in on to get rid of it.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-10-17 15:19:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Kids got a cool name!
By Jetackuu 2020-10-17 15:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

right?
By Thunderjet 2020-10-18 06:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

any decent Square enix games on Phone i need a good game i wont have a pc or a laptop il be locked for a week at work, i have war of the lions, ok maybe not square games any other good single players? (prefer RPGS FOR PHONE)

OMG I HOPE TACTICS OGRE ON IOS, never mind its not
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-10-18 08:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If I understand you correctly, you want SE RPGs for your phone.

Dragon Quest is a good series and phone comparable.
By Thunderjet 2020-10-18 13:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
If I understand you correctly, you want SE RPGs for your phone.

Dragon Quest is a good series and phone comparable.

finished all of them except 10, and the romancing saga mobile game seems gacha, which is garbage i was interested in another eden but i read its a gacha game too :(

i guess il just play Tactics again

Also out of subject WAT the actual ***, Final Fantasy Tactics Any% Speedrun in 3:58:26 (2015)
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-10-18 14:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Being on Squenix's mailing list I see promos for a LOT of their mobile games.

They all seem gacha.

Not that my phone has the horsepower (hamsterpower?) to play games.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-10-18 15:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderjet said: »
IOS
get a good mobile os
[+]
By Draylo 2020-10-18 16:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I had to ditch my ipad pro and get the new tablet so I could emulate all the things. One thing I hate about iOS

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Thunderjet 2020-10-19 02:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Wohooooo no work week lockdown for me this week
By Thunderjet 2020-10-19 10:38:31
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

OKAY THIS IS COOL A SONG ABOUT BERSERK

Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2020-10-19 16:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess we need the return of nutty long Boost macros now.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Thunderjet 2020-10-20 06:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

oh god this guy was in our school..
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2020-10-20 08:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I guess we need the return of nutty long Boost macros now.

You could mix it with Inner Release as well, get that sweet Essence of the Martialist on too >_> BAM POW straight to the moon.

And now that I think about it, this actually has practical use in duels >_>
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-10-20 10:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This should be interesting

Quote:
The US Justice Department and 11 states file antitrust lawsuit against Google
First Page 2 3 ... 21725 21726 21727 ... 22553 22554 22555