Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » bst or smn
bst or smn
By daddyrabbit4444 2011-01-25 14:53:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i know most stuff is situational but which job overall do yall think is a better job for solo/duo bst or smn?
 Siren.Kunimatsu
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-01-25 17:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Impossible to say, because they function differently, and there's NMs that a SMN is more favourable against it, and theres NMs that a BST can solo better.

inb4 biased SMN and BST trying to white knight their job, i'm a main SMN and it's my baby, but knowing your jobs strengths as well as its weaknesses is just as important as knowing how to gear and knowing the jobs mechanics.

One of the main differences in SMN and BST is how they deal damage, SMN can give out massive spike damage, but their DoT from avatars meleeing is rather poor. BST gives out impressive DoT from pets but their spike damage isn't as good.

BST pets have a lot more HP than avatars, paired with the ability to use reward to heal them can give a BST the edge over SMN when soloing because they can use fewer pets, and the hate control is much better (especially with snarl). however if their pet dies before call beast is up, and can't charm anything nearby it gets dangerous.

SMN pets have roughly the same HP as a player but they have a native -50% physical damage taken, as well as a stout servant trait around lv80~. They take full magic damage but they heavily resist their own element and the element they are strong against, making them much better "tanks" against mobs that use a specific magic damage type.

SMN has an unlimited supply of pets as long as they are able to summon them and they have the MP, which makes them more favourable over BST against things that can down pets quickly.

Also if you were to try argue which one is the best, you would have to compare a skilled SMN and BST with equal standard of gear. A crappy BST won't be able to solo as good as an amazing SMN, and vice-versa.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2011-01-25 17:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

BST SMN , BST BST , SMN SMN , duo is win, but for soloing I have been more successful on my BST than on my SMN =/
Also the -50% PDT on SMN avatars, I have not noticed that at all. I'm gonna go test this later, but I've always noticed my avatars take about the same damage as myself or my BST pets(depending on the jug pet). DipperY. on the other hand is an amazing pet, evasion + TH = win

Siren.Kunimatsu
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-01-25 17:29:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nexdeus said:
BST SMN , BST BST , SMN SMN , duo is win, but for soloing I have been more successful on my BST than on my SMN =/
Also the -50% PDT on SMN avatars, I have not noticed that at all. I'm gonna go test this later, but I've always noticed my avatars take about the same damage as myself or my BST pets(depending on the jug pet). DipperY. on the other hand is an amazing pet, evasion + TH = win

Duoing with BSTs that use yuly and have good pet: eva/pdt gear for pet tanking is great, on things like aggressor antlion a single yuly will tank it the whole fight, and I can just nuke the ***out it without having to worry about kiting, whereas I would burn through a load of garudas soloing it.

The -50% PDT on avatars is easily tested with 1k needles, if it was just you and an avatar sharing the damage you would take 500 and the avatar would take less than 250 because of the new stout servant trait*
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-01-26 02:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically what Kunimatsu said. Both jobs can cover both bases IMO. Usually I end up SMN burning though, so I've yet to try an NM or something with a BST.
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2011-01-26 02:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I like playing both smn and bst..

I do miss snarl w/e im on smn tho.. bloopact hate seems to build up after a while >_<