Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » NMs » Ketea
Ketea
First Page 2
By sefalon 2011-01-05 11:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I am lookig for a good strategy for low man Ketea. I went on nin and rdm and the spikes were Too much for the nin to handle and the rdm was slept most fight. I assume poison pots could work on RDM to keep him from being slept but even with that it is 2 hard to keep heals up. I do not have WHM so RDM best we can do.

Now i heard in here by a few people that NIN can solo and I am scratching my head cause the 3 times I have tried low man he has pawned us.

So any strategy to use or Atma's to equip I would apreciate it.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-05 12:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I've helped once... there is no real reason the rdm should have stayed in range of the agas... frankly get good evasion debuff it and it's a peice of cake for a decent nin to handle with some curing.

Think all we had was like blm whm blu/brd nin and eventually I came over as rng. Only the whm did any real healing the rest were there for triggers.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-01-05 12:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Make your mage stay out of range of Sleepga <_< all there is to it.

Note you can Gravity and kite it pretty much forever.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-05 12:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Spikes are the only real threat, Ketea has horrible accuracy (Evade 60% at 310 skill and little-no Evasion gear).

Addle and Barpalalyze really seem to mitigate the spikes damage, but Ninja attacks so fast, you can quickly drop again. Keep your wits about you and know when to turn.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-05 12:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it blu/war + blm/rdm and just gravitied it and cannonballed it to death. I know you don't have that option but if ***goes down, you can easily have the rdm kite it if needed. Not sure who told you nin can solo it, possibly with ranged attacks or something, but once the ice spikes paralyze you you're pretty much screwed solo. You can't stun it either, so one blizzaga iv and you're going down without backup support.

Edit: You'll want Phalanx II + Barblizzra + Barpara. Make sure the RDM casts those in between spells so they don't get slept. The only realy threat is a bad-timed blizzaga iv, more so with just a rdm for support since you only get cure iv. You don't need phalanx by any means, but it'll reduce the damage you take from spikes by a lot.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-05 12:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
I did it blu/war + blm/rdm and just gravitied it and cannonballed it to death. I know you don't have that option but if ***goes down, you can easily have the rdm kite it if needed. Not sure who told you nin can solo it, possibly with ranged attacks or something, but once the ice spikes paralyze you you're pretty much screwed solo. You can't stun it either, so one blizzaga iv and you're going down without backup support.

Edit: You'll want Phalanx II + Barblizzra + Barpara. Make sure the RDM casts those in between spells so they don't get slept. The only realy threat is a bad-timed blizzaga iv, more so with just a rdm for support since you only get cure iv. You don't need phalanx by any means, but it'll reduce the damage you take from spikes by a lot.

Because you can't time shadow casts..?
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-05 12:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about him using NIN for tanking retard. Once again you can't read. "I know you don't have that option but if ***goes down you can easily have the rdm kite it if needed." I said I duo'd with a BLM, thus I was obviously referring to his duo with a RDM. Quit trolling, thanks.

If you're talking about him as a NIN then I'm saying if his hp isn't high enough he's going to get killed. I don't even know what you mean by the spikes are the most dangerous part of the fight. Your healer can't cure fast enough or the paralyze is too much to deal with?
[+]
 Bahamut.Arouis
user: arouis
By Bahamut.Arouis 2011-01-05 12:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna help an aga spell much. Lol
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-05 12:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

A well geared/atma'd nin should be able to survive blizzaga 4 and recover. It's not like it spams the spells and like previously said it's acc is bad so you can focus your atmas on defensive if you wanted. 50 regen per tick and some MDB if you wanted to go that route.

Also turn around when spike active?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-01-05 12:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said:
I'm talking about him using NIN for tanking retard. Once again you can't read. "I know you don't have that option but if ***goes down you can easily have the rdm kite it if needed." I said I duo'd with a BLM, this I was obviously referring to his duo with a RDM. Quit trolling, thanks.

And That's what I'm talking about. Blizzaga IV is no threat to a Ninja because Timing shadows totally isn't serious business. And in my experience, with terrible Evasion, Ketea couldn't hit a damn thing. The only Damage taken was from Spikes and Blizzaga IV.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
A well geared/atma'd nin should be able to survive blizzaga 4 and recover. It's not like it spams the spells and like previously said it's acc is bad so you can focus your atmas on defensive if you wanted. 50 regen per tick and some MDB if you wanted to go that route.

Also turn around when spike active?

I've had a few where it seriously Did not use Rapid Molt and lose spikes... you really can't tank on that ><!
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-05 12:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

You should be able to survive blizzaga iv no problem, but I was saying it's the only thing Ketea can do that will kill you. With phalanx ii (if the rdm has it) and barblizzra you'll take 0 damage from the spikes, or close to it. Thus it's literally impossible to die from the spikes in a RDM+NIN duo. The only possible threat is blizzaga iv. Timing shadows is not serious business, but it's the only thing that will kill you if you fail. Hopefully I'm being clear this time.

Edit: it always has spikes up unless it's mouth is open (after rapid molt). It won't use rapid molt unless it has something to erase from itself, such as slow, para, dia, etc.
By sefalon 2011-01-05 13:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so for spells Utsu will help eat and you say that the spikes will wear? so just turn and wait?

Ok and what 3 Atmas should we equip? For the NIN. Razed Ruins for sure but what about others was thinking the Fistule atma and maybe GH or SS unless there is a better atma for absorbing some of those spells.

i assumed stun would works so i was going Rdm/blm but since it doesnt i can go /whm for paralyna. Ty for the advice so far.

I do have the ability to go BLU and BLM as well. I only went NIN with RDm because of a thread i read in here where they were talking about dnc and ninjas and nm they solod. I will try to look for it. If you think that blue blm is a better option I can try that. I was also thinking 2 smn and a BST?
 Bismarck.Helel
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-01-05 13:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have BLU, you can go BLU/WAR + BLM/RDM and just kite him and cannonball him. I would highly recommend you use sushi because cannonball tends to miss a lot on him even with full physical merits. Just make sure you have erase to remove bind. When he uses rapid molt, he'll immediately erase gravity off himself so just be ready for that. Also he takes double damage from magic with his mouth open, you can literally take him down 30% just from BLM nukes after rapid molt.

The other reason I'd recommend BLU+BLM is that you cover almost all of the yellow triggers. Now that I think about it, you may wanna go /nin on BLU so you can get those too, or you could have your partner go RDM/NIN.

Just so you know, you can proc yellow even if it heals him. the BLM can nuke at the start of the fight where it will heal him for 0 (if he's @ 100% health). Makes it really easy to get yellow without having the BLM pull hate.
 Leviathan.Zelllo
Server: Leviathan
user: Zelllo
By Leviathan.Zelllo 2011-01-05 13:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I've duoed this on my nin with whm support usually.

If you have access to 3 atmas and you have atleast 2 of your furterances and 2 or 3 of your abyssite of merits, this battle should be no sweat.

You should have a little over 2K HP. This is important because Ketea will often times link a big nuke like blizzardga IV with a TP move. And with this setup that's going to take 2k off of your HP. So basically you're looking at if that nuke + TP move + following attack all connect, you're going to be dead if your healer isn't paying attention. Also, healer should be curing your spike damage.

When I would go with a WHM that was slow on the cures, I'd use Vicissitude, Kirin, and RR (didn't have GN). When I was with a WHM that I was confident with, I'd go with RR, VV, and Vicissitude.

You are probably going to need to have an eva++/acc+ gear setup. Ketea has a bit of evasion so I was using my sekka +2 acc and eva katanas.

Another important thing to note is that Ketea has two modes. Mouth closed mode is slower atk speed and constant ice spikes with the occ nuking/ga status effect spell and magic atks are going to heal him. Mouth open mode is when Ketea's atk speed goes up and he becomes more dangerous but is now able to take magic damage. Keep an eye out for rapid molt too, when he does this you need to get the debuffs back up ASAP.

As far as yonin... I'd keep it up full time. I told my healers that I'd turn when I wanted a paralyna. That way para didn't eat my yonin recast. Otherwise, push through the spikes like a boss. If your healer has refresh atma, you aren't really going to put a dent in their MP.

If you can, get a BLM or someone else who can proc magic. My drops were 1, 1, 1, and 3 out of the 4 times I fought him. The last time I had a magic proc.
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-01-05 15:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

sefalon said:
Ok so for spells Utsu will help eat and you say that the spikes will wear? so just turn and wait?

Ok and what 3 Atmas should we equip? For the NIN. Razed Ruins for sure but what about others was thinking the Fistule atma and maybe GH or SS unless there is a better atma for absorbing some of those spells.

Kill Isegbind, and get the atma of the frozen fetters, if you're really concerned about blizzaga/spikes. That gives you a base 100 blizz resist. Add the bars from the mage-folk, and usually anything ice based is laughable. I use this for T2 VNM Chione and there's the others like Atma of Brother wolf(BW also has minor MDB)/Ascending one/Earth Wyrm corresponding for fire, wind, and earth.
 Bahamut.Zoltar
user: Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-02 12:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump!

Can you still process grellow !! if you heal it?

Is 1 Card of Voyage guaranteed?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-02-02 12:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes to both.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-02 13:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Did this with 6 last night, but it was basically 1 WHM, me tanking on THF, and four people to proc yellow/blue/red. Blizzaga dealt at most 700 with Shell V and barblizzara. I basically tanked until 50%, at which point I turned for someone to change to get yellow and blue proc, which took about 10 minutes (Never lost hate, and only got hit once during this time.). His spikes are really the only dangerous thing (And even then, not bad.), so I would suggest minimizing your double attack gear and atmas, and focusing on crits/evasion.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-02 13:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't really focus on evasion unless you are a job with C or lower. I'd frequently pull hate on blu and it definitely didn't have anywhere near capped acc on me. I'd say maybe 75%ish. I'd put it's acc lower than xp mobs lol
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-02 13:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Focusing on crits.* Evasion is useless if you're already pretty much capped, agreed with Davsa, but I honestly only tagged that onto the end because I couldn't figure any other atma to use lol.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2011-02-02 13:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU + RDM + BLM , Gravity kite BLU damage it while in closed mouth mode , stay out of sleepga range , addle makes blizzaga laughable , only threat is if it change modes & gravity is not up .
 Bahamut.Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-02 14:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx Raen, I think I had bad luck bc we duo'd w/ Dnc + brd and had no BLU for !!, still got brd hands+voyage card, 5 more to go! Lol

Edit: i switched from blm to brd after no !!
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-02 14:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Attack/triple attack etc is always nice.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-02-02 14:05:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless it's Turul.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-02 14:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Or brulo
 Bahamut.Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-02 14:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

God I hate Brulo, but I still want the scythe ;;
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-02 14:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Why in the world would you want that scythe? It's grade A grabage unless you happen to be a melee blm who nukes some!?! Even then probalby better off with a staff
 Bahamut.Zoltar
By Bahamut.Zoltar 2011-02-02 19:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Its smexy
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-02-02 19:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I suppose it's name is kinda nifty... does it look cool or something? Cause statistically it's pretty horribad for nukes.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2011-02-02 19:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Same model as Antlion Sickle I think.

It should be about as good for nukes as an NQ elemental staff I would imagine. Depending on the situation.
First Page 2