Forum » FFXI » NMs » Empousa
Empousa
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2010-12-22 16:03:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious if anyone has had any success fighting empousa?

My group was just wandering around Abyssea-Ule trying stuff, and this guy is up amongst the Gargouilles. Fight seemed decent...

Then it all went to hell when he flew...spamming dark orb, and dark mist non stop. He seemed to keep alternating between absorbing physical/magical damage, and had Dreadspikes on top of that. After about 5 minutes of flying he was full, and we basically just ran out of mp having to keep curing 700-1.5k TP move spams as he cured back to full. Any ideas?
By LakshmiArtemas 2010-12-22 16:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Just keep the spikes dispelled and you should have no problem.
 Asura.Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2010-12-22 16:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

LakshmiArtemas said:
Just keep the spikes dispelled and you should have no problem.

I'll have to ask the rdm in the party, I don't think they were able to dispel. Maybe need to bring a bard instead for finale. Thanks.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-22 16:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Easy duo BLU/WAR + BLM/THF (for TH2). If you go left at the top of the ramp there's a couple snow mounds, can easily kite him around those.

On the ground he'll use triumphant roar, terror eye, bloody claw like normal gargouilles do. Very easy in this mode. In the air he will nonstop spam Dark Mist and Dark Orb. He also has a Bio aura that increase in strength the lower his hp goes. Sounds nasty but the range on his tp moves is very small, only about 10'. It's possible to outrun his tp moves even if you have gravity on you (from dark mist). Bio aura has large range, about 20'. My partner stayed out of range during his flight and I simply cannonballed him back to the ground. Usually doing 8-10% damage to him will ground him again. It's not time based whatsoever. He'll fly indefinitely until you damage him enough. Seen plenty of groups wipe because they can't ground him.

Absorbs physical damage while he's casting, absorbs magic damage while he's using a tp move. Considering he spams tp moves nonstop in the air, you'll want the majority of the damage to be physical damage in between his spellcasting. Cannonball works great or RNG.

Also of note is that he can drop 2+? of card and stone unlike the popped NMs. Two of the times we killed him he dropped 2 cards and 2 stones (with yellow proc of course).

Cheap strategy for fighting him is also to nuke>deaggro>nuke>deaggro. If you use this method he will never fly.

Spells he uses are Dispelga, Drain, and Dread Spikes.
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-22 16:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dread Spikes can't be dispelled by rdm. Fight's not bad, I've done it with whm, blm, sam and nin (last 2 were dual boxed). Worst thing is the damn bio aura while he is in the air, it breaks stoneskin pretty fast. Also done it with blm, whm, rdm, sam and nin, even easier.
 Lakshmi.Sake
Server: Lakshmi
user: Sekaran
By Lakshmi.Sake 2010-12-22 17:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Dread spikes can be dispelled by RDM.. I did it plenty of times with my BLM when fighting it. Did notice it was a lot easier to dispel while he was in the air though.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-12-22 17:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said:
Just curious if anyone has had any success fighting empousa?

just wear magic reduction in the air if you're within range of dark orb etc, and it's a joke to handle as long as you've got a whm with you

hi tam
[+]
 Asura.Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2010-12-22 17:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

that's the info was looking for. Since it was just done on a whim passing by, I'll be prepared next time, aka...my LOLwhm won't be the main heal.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-12-22 17:32:09
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm really, really surprised how easy these +2 body item nm's are, but at the same time, i'm glad, since it saves me the trouble of having to be without the pieces ;z

btw, the bio aura (50?/tick) extends out to 20.0 and terrain elevation doesn't save you from it either, just as a heads up
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2010-12-22 17:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sake said:
Dread spikes can be dispelled by RDM.. I did it plenty of times with my BLM when fighting it. Did notice it was a lot easier to dispel while he was in the air though.

My bad then, I only tried a few times while on ground, was resisted each time. I figured they couldn't be dispelled and stopped trying since the spikes didn't seem to be a huge problem at all.

Hi IG :D
 Asura.Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2010-12-22 17:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree, it's a nice change of pace, I thought the body pieces were going to be a pain since you need 9/10 seals/trophies, but I'm glad I was wrong. Now I just need to get folks in my linkshell caught up, since we have been working on empyrean sets instead. I'm trying to get stuff for other people first...for an asuran I'm doing it all wrong.

The only thing that been annoying is the Rare Trigger items not being 100% drops to get to the next NM. Last night having to kill Sharabha 3 times before finally getting his hide was pretty annoying. Oh and people bitching at me, when the Sippoy or Ithram they wipe to aggros my group and we kill it, but that's asura <3
 Cerberus.Oblit
Server: Cerberus
user: oblit
By Cerberus.Oblit 2010-12-22 18:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I dboxed 8/9 of my Card of ardors from this NM, setup was MNK/WAR and WHM/RDM, very easy. Killed it over 15 times because it rarely drops the card.

I used Footwork full time because of dread spikes. Dispeled dread spikes right away, its the only thing that can kill me.

You just need to do as much damage as possible when he starts flying, but be careful because it will absorb damage when casting magic.

Pandemonium.Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-12-22 18:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Echandra said:
but that's asura <3

this (asura) server sucks ten million *** =(
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-12-22 18:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Dropped way more cards than stones when I did it. I'd say it's equal chance of either one. If you proc yellow you can get up to 2 each.