New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Wikileaks and Anonymous
Wikileaks and Anonymous
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-06 17:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Targeting a blog with DDoS does show a lack of incentive to take meaningful action, or break the law for what you believe in. It is kind of attention ***-ish. Not saying I advocate them breaking the law or taking PayPal down, but this does seem like a publicity stunt.
[+]
 Bahamut.Nixak
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Nixak
By Bahamut.Nixak 2010-12-06 17:15:35
Link | Quote | Reply

That gif is all I can look at in this article. It makes me giggle.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
Server: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
The Habbo Raids had a lot more heart and soul than this shyte.

Wat?
Harassing tweens in a chat interface is more meaningful than attacking associations that defy your political views and beliefs?

You say it like Anon is some political group.

Remember, political groups are collections of people with a view. They technically are one.
that are grouped.
anonymous is too ambiguous to have individuals "grouping" without removing the anonymous factor.
that's the whole hypocrisy of it.

Artemicion said:
True, the more attention you bring to yourself as a counter-culture, the more counter-productive and contrary to purpose you become.
Ironically, remaining underground undermines one's ability to actually pull off large scale courses of influence.

It's a double edged sword for either way.
Why must a unorganized groups aim have to pull off "large scale courses of influence", you pretty much have randoms who make the ***like is in the OP post, that post it everywhere,and then you have the attention *** that suckle up to that ***like it's their own mums teet and they latch of for dear life and acceptance, that's essentially what it's for :/
not wanting acceptance, shock humor all that wasn't for acceptance originally, but people are deluded into going for acceptance at every chance they get.
[+]
 Phoenix.Smileybone
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-12-06 17:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

God, next thing you know Anonymous is going to be the next freakin tea party.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-06 17:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, I may be falling into the romanticism of the scenario. A group of totally unrelated people banding together to attack an oppressive government? If that doesn't appeal to teenagers like myself, I don't know what does.
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Why must a unorganized groups aim have to pull off "large scale courses of influence", you pretty much have randoms who make the ***like is in the OP post, that post it everywhere,and then you have the attention *** that suckle up to that ***like it's their own mums teet and they latch of for dear life and acceptance, that's essentially what it's for :/
not wanting acceptance, shock humor all that wasn't for acceptance originally, but people are deluded into going for acceptance at every chance they get.

As I was saying before, anon more or less is divided between folks that are like internet IRA members and then there's just your sheep wearing Guy Fawkes masks.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, I may be falling into the romanticism of the scenario. A group of totally unrelated people banding together to attack an oppressive government? If that doesn't appeal to teenagers like myself, I don't know what does.
I'm not a teenager anymore so I wouldn't know much about that.
I like Colbert and that's pretty much it when it comes to speaking out against BS.
I just don't find this issue to be all that important to make me want to *** myself out for it.
Same with the Scientology one.
You have to be an attention-***.
It's a requirement.

Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

As I was saying before, anon more or less is divided between folks that are like internet IRA members and then there's just your sheep wearing Guy Fawkes masks.
How do you know if it's separated like that?
Have you met anon?
Speculation is speculation because you are a speculating.
Anyone you can physically see and identify as a living breathing human is pretty much ruled out of the anon-ship.
they become the voice of the guy wearing the guy fawkes mask in the green shirt with the one sign, or the one in the red shirt with the one sign.
they no longer lose all anonymity and you can't see them as a unified consciousness in the same way as forced anonymity on 4chan would be.
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-06 17:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I like Colbert and that's pretty much it when it comes to speaking out against BS.
I just don't find this issue to be all that important to make me want to *** myself out for it.
It's a requirement.

To me, it just feels so damn noble because I still have the naivety of youth pounded into me. It's like a drug.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-06 17:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty cute how anyone who isn't pro-Anonymous is -1 xD

Bringing down a blog and saying it is because of the Wikileaks account does so little (note I didn't say nothing) to help Wikileaks' or their own cause. DDoS does little more than aggravate people who read a site/use a service. If the person had no interest in the matter before, denying access to what they want/need on the internet likely won't change that. It's not like PayPal is the only way to make financial transactions and some would sooner spend their time finding an alternative way to transfer money than reading why this is happening. Because reading about it is not going to bring the server that is under attack back up. There are ways to show objection that would better convey why you think users of the service should object to what PayPal did.

If you're going to break the law to try to get a message across, enable comments on the Wikileaks blog entry (PayPal didn't, one of the things that annoys me), deface the site with your take of what is going on, do something to inform people. DDoS attacks are nothing special, they don't even require extensive computer knowledge. They require people who are computer illiterate to install malicious software.

"Just a botnet and a way to command it and you can pretend you're being part of a constructive rebellion!"

The poster does more in the way of informing people than attacking a blog, even if it (the blog) doesn't allow discussion on the subject.
By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
It's a requirement.

At least you have one thing in common: Political satire (lulz)

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Have you met anon?

It's pretty self evident.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
It's a requirement.

To me, it just feels so damn noble because I still have the naivety of youth pounded into me. It's like a drug.
I think I grew up a bit early :/
My naivety was with drugs, my great journey is the more common great journey of yesterday, the journey of self.
i'm not going to mix that up with the journey to crush something/protect someone elses values and plans that i've never met.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
It's a requirement.

At least you have one thing in common: Political satire (lulz)

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Artemicion said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Have you met anon?

It's pretty self evident.
No it's not.
you apparently can speak for him, so I assumed you met him/didn't meet him and were just talking out of your hiny.
which breaks down to you just talking out of your hiny :P
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-12-06 17:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT

[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-06 17:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, anon is one person?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

/posts olawed.gif

Wait, anon is one person?
yes, don't be fooled by the tripcodes, those guys aren't anon.
By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I really doubt your average idiot that visits 4chan and wears a Guy Fawkes mask in front of a Scientology Church playing Never Gonna Give You Up on a boombox while holding a Longcat sign has any affiliation with those who actually pull internet strings for political cause. The former tend to just be the attention *** that work in favor to those in background.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:41:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
I really doubt your average idiot that visits 4chan and wears a Guy Fawkes mask in front of a Scientology Church playing Never Gonna Give You Up on a boombox while holding a Longcat sign has any affiliation with those who actually pull internet strings for political cause. The former tend to just be the attention *** that work in favor to those in background.
What exactly are you trying to say with this?
or are you repeating what i said and are just admitting that they are all attention *** and the people who were pulling strings didn't need tell everyone that they have some label of "anon" to pull the strings of the internet?
that's what you said right?
everything you mentioned was mainstream chan-***anyway.
let's see some ogrish and dead bodies.
or hell lemonparty floated around just about everywhere, that's another good one.
those are all ones i'd consider true to the "anon" way IMO.
 Phoenix.Smileybone
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-12-06 17:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
those who actually pull internet strings for political cause.

Oh are you referring to the angsty 18-20 year olds who think that by DDoSing a site they are changing the world?
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

Oh are you referring to the angsty 18-20 year olds who think that by DDoSing a site they are changing the world?
Oh are you referring to those angsty 18-20 year olds that use a web based application to do their attacks...lolol
4chan was great when there was no lolcats and only caturday.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-06 17:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

Oh are you referring to those angsty 18-20 year olds that use a web based application to do their attacks...lolol
There's an App for that?
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

There's an App for that?
maybe not an iphone app, web-based application, sure.
 Luz
By Luz 2010-12-06 17:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It's funny because a lot of people have no grasp of how susceptible computer networks are to denial of service attacks. Be it DDoSing a website on the internet or Aireplaying a continuous broadcast Deauthentication attack on a public/private wireless AP, it doesn't take much to disrupt computer networks. These people doing the PayPal attacks aren't hackers (or crackers as some hackers don't generally approve of that use of the word hacker), they're script-kiddies.
By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

Yep! But the point is, they're doing something regardless of how petty or non-productive their actions are. The rest tend to be the surface of such a group bringing publicity and attention whoring.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Luz said:
It's funny because a lot of people have no grasp on how susceptible computer networks are to denial of service attacks. Be it DDoSing a website on the internet or Aireplaying a continuous broadcast Deauthentication attack on a public/private wireless AP, it doesn't take much to disrupt computer networks. These people doing the PayPal attacks aren't hackers (or cracker as some hackers don't generally approve of that use of the word hacker), they're script-kiddies.
yup, one person with a cursory logic of coding just has to upload a simple script for it and then feed it to the sheep.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

Yep! But the point is, they're doing something regardless of how petty or non-productive their actions are. The rest tend to be the surface of such a group bringing publicity and attention whoring.
they aren't really doing much either.
the DDoS attacks are an act of futility when it comes to more major sites.
Wooo you took down a blogger!
/pat on back
GOOD JOB!
~5 hours later
blogger is back up and running.
DDoSing is only amusing when you do it to the weak that cannot rebuild themselves.
specifically because of the bolded, it becomes an act of futility if all your work just gets wiped in the matter of a few hours.
it's essentially jerking yourself off, but sadly you don't get a climax.
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-12-06 17:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Artemicion said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

/pat on back
GOOD JOB!
~5 hours later
DDoSing is only amusing when you do it to the weak that cannot rebuild themselves.

And what have you done to support any cause you believe in?

By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Artemicion said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Artemicion said:

/pat on back
GOOD JOB!
~5 hours later

Is that why you found it more admirable to raid Habbo Hotel over PayPal?
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-12-06 17:53:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure anonymous can really do anything to help out juilan assange

They might be able to help wikileaks out if the US gets its way and blocks all of assange's methods to rent server's

But that would require something more productive than publicity stunt denial of service attacks.

Anonymous could be the avenue to tie together all the mirrors if assange gets removed from the picture.

kind of a shame tho.. at least assange tried to redact names and censor stuff that could hurt people.. even offered to let the UN help censor with him.

Anonymous or whoever takes over after assange will probably just release all the info of future leaks consequences be damned
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-12-06 17:53:28
Link | Quote | Reply

And what have you done to support any cause you believe in?

i attention *** bands i like :/
but i only do that to the ones i know people have never heard about, and i only do it with people i personally know, and the people that i can peg for things.
all that.

Artemicion said:
Is that why you found it more admirable to raid Habbo Hotel over PayPal?
yes.
By Artemicion 2010-12-06 17:54:29
Link | Quote | Reply

In the end, it's a publicity stunt and gains attention for whatever cause they may support. But like that old saying goes: There's no such things as bad publicity. The fact that it gets attention (good or bad) will in turn turn the wheels of influence in their favor.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15