gogo aegis trials
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2011-01-02 16:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:
Uhh, not to derail but if the new shield is 90% block rate does it not kick aegis' ***? Save the magic def.

Too many Empyrean weapons kicked relic's ***, so I'm not surprised :x
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2011-01-02 16:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgdg6p_ochain-90-block-rate_videogames

90% block rate, Ochain is amazing, though get it first then play PLD.

Edit: Sorry, did not notice video link already given.
 Sylph.Quiznor
Server: Sylph
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-01-02 17:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:
Uhh, not to derail but if the new shield is 90% block rate does it not kick aegis' ***? Save the magic def.

Yes,it does almost everything you would expect from what a shield for a tanking job is supposed to be.It procs ALOT,blocks huge amounts of damage and,to an extent even has the VIT which is an (albeit slight) extention of your defense.The extra effect is just icing on the cake.The only thing missing from this shield which could potentially be added is enmity+. You dont need to spend 150mil+ on Aegis just to hit the MDT cap.Can do that anyway for 1% of the cost.Granted its alot more convieniant (i cant spell that word for the left of me) to hit the cap on one piece of gear + shell (or just one piece if you do the trials) but the fact is,you dont NEED an Aegis to be a super PLD. Personally I never planned on going for an Aegis and was always going to build one of these instead.Now that the video is released,I think so is every other PLD that is serious about PLD,as well as some that arent so serious about it.....marco >_>
 Cerberus.Blazed
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Blazed 2011-01-02 17:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arkanethered said:

In all situations but one, yes. This shield is much more beneficial to a PLD than Aegis is. It seems to have higher DMG mitigation on blocks, and the video clearly demonstrates a much higher block % proc rate. (regardless of what the mob is, as someone who has had an aegis for a long time, I can verify the only time i've blocked that consistently was right after reprisal came out, and SE patched that glitch in less than 1 week later)

I wish the PLD who made the video would have cast something, anything to burn some MP so I could tell if the DMG>MP conversion was based on dmg amount before block proc, or after.

With regards to Aegis.
The only situation where Aegis is superior to this shield is if the PLD using Ochain is lazy or lacks decent MDT swap in macros for magic.

If the dmg conversion is based on the dmg that would have been dealt before block proc, then this shield is truly going to enable PLD to do some crazy things solo. PLD would never have MP issues, and would never take any serious DMG, providing macros are in order. It actually makes blood tanking far superior to blink tanking, and it reduces or eliminates any need for refresh/ballads/mp refresh atmas.In other words, PLD would just focus on Attack and never have to worry about sponging or needing any assistance.

If the dmg>mp conversion is based on actual dmg taken, then at least Aegis owners can use that as some sort of come-back when being mocked by Ochain owners. But it doesn't negate the fact that Ochain is easily a superior shield, in all situations but the "I'm a moron how do I switch in mdt gear" I mentioned above.

As simple as I can put it, Bar Auras, Doom, petrify, potent poison and extremly potent elemental magic, a PLD with this shield isn't going to hit the floor ever, unless they're a moron.

Unless Aegis gets something fantastic at 95-99, it is never going to be worth having.

EDIT: I loled at the VIT comment. "how do I Vit?"
[+]
 Alexander.Ariaum
Server: Alexander
user: Ariaum
By Alexander.Ariaum 2011-01-02 17:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone finish Aegis trials? Does it block any different(higher)80+? I thought it had some kinda super proc rate all be it no where near what is in that clip of that pld from what I saw lol. They do have 3 atmas up though one or 2 is regen at least and yeah this makes blood tanking and acc/attack pld with out being a leech easy to achieve. Sad it only took 6+ years(some thing like that?lol)and a total overhaul over the years to make it what a real tank job should be.
 Sylph.Quiznor
user: Quiznor
By Sylph.Quiznor 2011-01-02 17:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Good point from Blazed I forgot to mention.I couldnt tell from the video myself about when the "DMG>MP" is calculated.Personally reading the description on the shield itself,I would guess its the actually damage you take to your hp after the block. But thats just my understanding of the wording. Dont get me wrong,I would go crazy if it was before the blocked damage. But converting damage to mp or not,with a shield procing that much and absorbing that much damage.Its the cherry on top.Also makes me wonder about the potential use of another earring instead of Ethereal if its damage AFTER block to mp.Save for high damage tp moves,combined with the gear out/soon to be released,maybe it will have something better to idle in. After all,you cant covert 3% of 8 damage to mp.But thats something else for us PLD's to worry about way down the line.
 Bismarck.Luces
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-01-02 17:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ummm did none of y'all notice that this video was done in abyssea with all crour buffs and 3 atmas? I would say this shield still has an unknown blockrate, unless their is information I am missing in the lack of ability to read Japanese.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
Server: Carbuncle
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2011-01-02 17:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
http://dai.ly/elj9Dd

Could just do this shield instead

did you notice he had x3 atama up?

is there an atama that up's sheild block rate because thats a rare/ex drop making a 250+ million gil shield look silly

edit:video out side of abbysea with no *** atama or GTFO mr.jap in the video
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2011-01-02 17:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ronson said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

is there an atama that up's sheild block rate because thats a rare/ex drop making a 250+ million gil shield look silly

its the empyrean shield bro, clearly se doesnt give a ***about your dynamis relics
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2011-01-02 17:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
Carbuncle.Ronson said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

its the empyrean shield bro, clearly se doesnt give a ***about your dynamis relics

lol
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-02 17:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Ronson said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

No need to be sour, Aegis sucked anyways.
 Cerberus.Blazed
By Cerberus.Blazed 2011-01-02 18:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

1. There's no atma that directly effects shield block proc % that I know of. Maybe AGI from GH will help, idk. But pure Shield Block Rate minor/major/superior doesn't exist.
2. The agreed generic proc rate of Aegis is 60%. That's with capped skill and gear. You can hit 69-75% range with reprisal iirc.
3. That isn't a ding bat the JP PLD is testing against.
4. Aegis does not mitigate even close to that amount of dmg.
5. Ochain also negates enspells and additional effects apparently, the JP who made the video above also did some seperate tests in brenner vs a RDM and an Apoc, and they got 0% proc, and the DRK didn't get any aftermath after cato.

In a word, this shield is broken

EDIT: I'll make a video with capped shield skill and dmg mitigation gear on same mob with Aegis, maybe that will shut the nay-sayers up

EDIT2: I'll also toss up GH/Visc/stronghold atmas up and eat HQ tacos, and even toss up reprisal. Will take me 7-10 minutes before my MP is spent and I'm close to death.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-02 18:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Afania said:
Asura.Arkanethered said:
Too many Empyrean weapons kicked relic's ***, so I'm not surprised :x
Assuming lvl 90 aegis doesn't block that much too. I mean the other lvl 90 relics got hidden boost
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-02 18:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis is still size 5 iirc, Ochain is size 6. Some form of hidden boost isn't inconceivable though, especially given what the weapons got at 90.
 Cerberus.Blazed
By Cerberus.Blazed 2011-01-02 18:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

exactly. I said at the start of last update that Size 6 would most likely beat bucklers on proc rate and size 5 on dmg mitigation just eyeballing the differences between Empyrean weapons and Relics.

I was just waiting for a video like this to confirm. There was a chance that size 6 only mitigated more dmg than aegis, and proced less. However, that video confirms my first hunch.

However, as I said before, there is still 95-99, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if by the time relics hit 99, they're back on top.

I've rarely seen +3 items in the game. +2 is the standard top HQ in most items (excluding food and some other random ***)

Seeing as how earth/fire/thunder/wind etc paths are in their HQ+2 forms @ 90, I'm willing to bet that empyreans get 1 last boost, and relics 2 more. At 95 I'm also willing to bet relics even out with Empyreans.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2011-01-02 20:09:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Carbuncle.Ronson said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

No need to be sour, Aegis sucked anyways.

wasnt been an arse forgot to put lol on the end ^^
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-02 20:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ochain = 50
Aegis = Turtle
[+]
 Cerberus.Blazed
By Cerberus.Blazed 2011-01-02 20:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Ochain = 50
Aegis = Turtle

to be more accurate
Aegis - toy in your avatar
Ochain - lil doggy in your avatar.
[+]
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2011-01-25 15:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone finish lv. 90 aegis yet? Looking for bash numbers on it...