Apathy getting attacked for killing PW
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-02-18 08:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow who agrees with this is just plain retareded. If you were supposed to just eat astral flow they make it actually survivable. Enough of the witch hunts. Theres many ways to play this game and guess what SE didnt think of them all. It doesnt make it wrong or cheap. And if you think people should get banned over this then every person who ever tanked on nin should be too as not only did SE not approve but made several updates to make it harder on them.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-02-18 08:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Logging hate is abusing a game mechanic, but does -not- give an unfair advantage, because EVERYONE can use it within legal boundaries. It does not violate any actual rules; you're not stealing claim from someone who already had it, you're not duplicating items that can cause a fluctuation in the AH prices.
From what I've read(since my highest job is 53 and I don't actually know), you can't avoid Astral Flow's use.
What's the AoE range on them?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-18 08:30:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
Logging hate is abusing a game mechanic

Why?

They made it so logging out clears hate. How is this abusing a game mechanic? If they didn't want us logging out to lose hate they could easily code it in so a monster remembers its enmity list until it dies.
 Caitsith.Surreal
Server: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2009-02-18 08:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree 100% with wooood, If they didnt want us logging out to lose hate we'd log back in and get re-raped by the same monster.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-02-18 08:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Atrithk said:
Logging hate is abusing a game mechanic

Why?

They made it so logging out clears hate. How is this abusing a game mechanic? If they didn't want us logging out to lose hate they could easily code it in so a monster remembers its enmity list until it dies.

No, they really couldn't. It may have enmity that has no tags, but keeping track of someone once they've left the server is harder than you might think.
I say it's abusing the game mechanic because it was designed so that when you log back in after a long day, you're not immediately aggroed by anything; there's also an issue with resources... That is to say, trying to log what mobs get hate for extended periods of time except in rare cases can be disastrous for the server side.
Now, I'm by no means trying to say that this is bad. Personally, I think it's abusing a game mechanic in the same way as checking your combat skills to see if you've capped your weapon level yet, and though the OP's link shows a person who -seems- to be QQing about being banned for salvage dupes, he has a point in that it is still abuse.
Logging out wasn't designed to get rid of hate, for you to log back in just to get it back. It was done mostly for the simplicity of not needing to do much after they begin to log out.
 Seraph.Ryuhayabusa
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Ryuhayabusa 2009-02-18 08:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

SE doesn't want people logging hate cause it is abusing the games mechanics. A few years ago a simple logout to the character select screen would wipe hate and in their update they did exactly what your saying they should do. The monster remembers the code and you keep your enmity if logging to the character select screen. Removing yourself from the lobby server by logging to POL will drop all enmity because all trace of you has been removed from active play. It's not cheating just like the other glitches SE finds out about a little to late then blames players for misuse when in fact it is none of then their poor programing.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-02-18 09:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ryuhayabusa said:
It's not cheating just like the other glitches SE finds out about a little to late then blames players for misuse when in fact it is none of then their poor programing.

Bingo, just as I'm saying.
It's not illegal, PW was impossible or nigh-impossible to beat, they figured a way around it within legal boundaries, enjoy your praise.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-02-18 09:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

OP is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Some loser posting something in a blog is not an "attack".

Real title should be, "Any idiot can start a blog".

Everyone else: Stop using the words legal/illegal outside of the context of the law. You don't get locked up and go to prison for stuff that happens in a video game. If someone beat a mob by hacking into SE's servers, that would be illegal. Using a POS hack or anything else would not be illegal as it is not as against any law.

If SE doesn't like something, they can change it. They didn't like it when Apathy killed AV with the wall of justice and it was changed. They didn't like it when my linkshell killed AV in 24 seconds via zerg and it was changed. In those cases, no one did anything illegal.. we just did something SE didn't like.

People seriously lack perspective.
[+]
 Bahamut.Gokuhan
user: Gokuhan
By Bahamut.Gokuhan 2009-02-18 10:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Logging hate has been going on since the earliest days of FFXI. Say you're smack in the middle of a zone and you get aggro. You try to run, or maybe try to fight without success and you decide you need to get out of there. So you maybe sleep the mob or sic a pet on it and log out or maybe even yank your cable to avoid getting hit out of logging out. It's always been this way. Granted, logging hate mid-fight may not be what was intended, but that's how it works. It's the same for zoning hate away for mobs such as Ix'DRG or Despot if you have 1 kiter and a bunch of mages. This is the way SE made the game.

If SE really felt that this was taking advantage of an unintended game mechanic, they would rewrite the code to not allow people to log out while on a mobs hate list. Problem solved.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-18 10:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

But even then, you'd still be able to cut your net and log back in. Unless they just kept your character logged in and made it so you were unable to log back in while the mob was still alive... Which would REALLY suck for anyone that legitimately DC's while in an important fight. >.<!
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Server: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2009-02-18 10:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:

Everyone else: Stop using the words legal/illegal outside of the context of the law. You don't get locked up and go to prison for stuff that happens in a video game. If someone beat a mob by hacking into SE's servers, that would be illegal. Using a POS hack or anything else would not be illegal as it is not as against any law.

You can use the word illegal in sports or games. Like the illegal forward pass in football. You get a penalty of 5 yards, you don't go to jail!

Check your dictionary if you are going to tell people what they can and cannot say.
 Bahamut.Gokuhan
user: Gokuhan
By Bahamut.Gokuhan 2009-02-18 10:45:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
But even then, you'd still be able to cut your net and log back in. Unless they just kept your character logged in and made it so you were unable to log back in while the mob was still alive... Which would REALLY suck for anyone that legitimately DC's while in an important fight. >.<!

I was thinking more along the lines of having your char stay in play if you DC, you would be able to log back into it without problems. But your char would stay on until the mob or the player dies, at which point the 30 second loggout timer would start.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 10:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Gokuhan said:
Tbest said:

I was thinking more along the lines of having your char stay in play if you DC, you would be able to log back into it without problems. But your char would stay on until the mob or the player dies, at which point the 30 second loggout timer would start.

would be hard to do since if you force dc or dc you have no connection for ffxi to even do any log out on you. now if you dc and try logging in quick it does sometimes give you the message that your character is still logged in, you have to wait a few minutes to try logging back in.

Sometimes you get dc from their server connection and not your own, so it would be harder to control
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-02-18 10:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I say SE should ban everyone that fake DCed, everyone that tanked with nin, everyone that sleep log out, everyone that warped with nin 2H (shame on you, SE didnt give NIN a 2H for that) & everyone that used escape to travel quickly... its "escape" you are only supose to use it to get back from where you entered.

This would end all drama, everyone would get banned... problem solved (even GS problems would be solved)
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-18 10:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

:O Don't ban me for escaping from Korroloka Tunnel to get to Bastok quickly!!! I hardly ever go there! /cry!
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-18 11:00:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:

Everyone else: Stop using the words legal/illegal outside of the context of the law. You don't get locked up and go to prison for stuff that happens in a video game. .

A dude here got jailed cause he repeatedly cheated on Counter Strike... The company running the servers got annoyed and took that to a court. Since cheating using 3rd party tools is considered like hacking in France (some form of cheating are basically hacks, some aren't as you said), you can get sued for that since hacking is prohibited by law. So cops came to that dude place. Computer been seized, HDD analyzed, found tons of cracked software, illegal MP3 (you know the usual crap we all have :d) etc... This + cheating/hacking case => Fine + Jail.

Keep in mind that some law are more strict than others, we could get jailed almost for anything here, just doing some modification to a copyrighted executable file is illegal :/ Bypassing anti-cheat protection might also be illegal. In reality chance to ends up in jail for that are like 0.000000001%, just like downloading illegal content, but still.

Also as Liquidz says, illegal do not only refers to law, it can also refers to any official rules.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-02-18 11:08:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
:O Don't ban me for escaping from Korroloka Tunnel to get to Bastok quickly!!! I hardly ever go there! /cry!

Lol! XD
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-18 12:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You can congratulate AoR for the win for clever thinking as far as methods to win, but not really say hey it was a straight up fair fight. They took advantage of a weakness in the game mechanics like an older guy takes advantage of a high school girl who "thinks" she needs an older man because she's more mature than the boys her age (what a stupid notion, he's using you because your EP). Its a fault in the programming (like that of a naive schoolgirls mind) of how the mob works. They should just fix it so that if the people log out (detected by a huge loss of its hate list) he AoE's when the list picks back up and wipes the floor with em. Just have to change em like they did AV. If its because of a massive server disconnect then oh well, s^%t happens. Alot of us have died because of a crappy connections before (and some of you fake DC *** as well). Square will fix it hopefully, and someday someone can claim a victory without taking advantage of a programming weakness.
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-02-18 12:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, for Christ's sake its a game - Apathy's actions didn't effect the game for anyone else.

/sigh

Anyone that ever solo's eventually logs off to avoid death and try to save xp and downtime (or they really like to lose xp and lay around doing nothing) lol. SE would have to ban most players if they considered this a big problem.

There are differences - sure... but its hard to say its alright to log and save yourself in one instance but not another, regardless of the mob in question.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-18 13:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
No, they really couldn't. It may have enmity that has no tags, but keeping track of someone once they've left the server is harder than you might think.

Who said anything about players? I specifically said the monsters so that somebody wouldn't post about not being able to track players once offline... Better luck next time I guess.
 Diabolos.Wraith
Server: Diabolos
user: Wraith
By Diabolos.Wraith 2009-02-18 14:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok from the way i see it everyone that has DC'd in a fight needs to be banned (according to the way the article read) so that means we all get banned. I'm sure at one time we all have been Dc'd through no fault of our own (BTW no way for SE to tell How we dc's just that we did). So that would mean FFxi is done and has a Zero player base. Get Real Apathy was the first to do what no one else could do /cheer Apathy Great Job enjoy the spoils of a job well done! So my 2 cents is in {Take care} all
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-18 14:28:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have logged hate from a UFO
 Asura.Floorboss
Server: Asura
user: Floorboss
By Asura.Floorboss 2009-02-18 15:09:04
Link | Quote | Reply

All I can say on this post is lol. Just because some great ls like Apathy was able to beat PW means they cheated cause they got items you dont have get real. Ok say some great ls on another server beats AV you going to blame them for cheating. This is sad. Btw Sinus twotone says hi to you and all my friends on remora server.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-18 15:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Wraith said:
(BTW no way for SE to tell How we dc's just that we did)

I'm sure they could easily check the log and find the /shutdown or /logout command if they really gave a ***.

Not saying they do, like other's have said if they started banning people for logging out hate then pretty much everyone would be banned. I see it as being equivalent to zoning a mob...only difference is you zone to nowhere lol...
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-18 15:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
OP is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Some loser posting something in a blog is not an "attack".

Real title should be, "Any idiot can start a blog".

If SE doesn't like something, they can change it. They didn't like it when Apathy killed AV with the wall of justice and it was changed. They didn't like it when my linkshell killed AV in 24 seconds via zerg and it was changed. In those cases, no one did anything illegal.. we just did something SE didn't like.

People seriously lack perspective.

True that, I just titled it "attack" Cause on BG was titled "Blogger attacks Apthy.." except when i Titled it i forgot what attacked apathy =P
 Caitsith.Surge
Server: Caitsith
user: Surge
By Caitsith.Surge 2009-02-18 16:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Im just gonna say that they added it to be used as we wished. We all have logged out to erase hate and/or to get off the game. Dcing and fake dcing takes longer then doing the /logout or /shutdown. And its fair especially when a mob like PW and AV can use there 2hrs multipul times in one fight, and we the players are considered the worst enemy ever then why scream ban or nerf? To make it alot harder or to screw the systems that SE has made because a few people say its exploite. Its there choice what to do but out of the thousands and thousands of ls's in this game alone doesnt mean they are working together. We applaud ur work apathy just some dont like the method and they call it exploiting when its fair.

And SE if any actions that you take i hope that its fair.
 Pandemonium.Sepihroth
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Sepihroth 2009-02-18 16:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

To this guy's way of thinking.....have mules is against the ToS.....Dual box PL'ing, AF pt's, more then one account for different reasons...gil bank, gardening...what have you.
Just a jealous little tard.
 Asura.Reublucian
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-02-18 16:53:42
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest If I was in a shell like apathy or leading a shell like Apathy, and I had information like how to kill PW, I most likely wouldn't share it with the public and to all the people saying oh Its our right to know in my opinion thats ***, you go put together a linkshell and test things out yourselves and see how easy it is, but then again that's why I'm not the leader of apathy.. lols just my opinion not looking to start any arguments.
 Remora.Narse
user: Narse
By Remora.Narse 2009-02-19 10:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny thing is that we actually know how to avoid Astral Flow, we've posted how to avoid it, and we use the method. We just logged out as a backup, and people are so riled up over it...
 Remora.Kindle
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2009-02-19 13:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Narse said:
Funny thing is that we actually know how to avoid Astral Flow, we've posted how to avoid it, and we use the method. We just logged out as a backup, and people are so riled up over it...

True that!