Forum » FFXIV » General » My STR and DEX testing
My STR and DEX testing
By MiracleWorks 2010-11-06 01:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

from the devs
By Izey 2010-11-06 03:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

MiracleWorks said:

This is cute and everything, but point allotment system has to be broken, I would imagine adding 70 points to 1 stat (At a rank where it actually works) would do something, but it really isnt.

How do I know the points are in effect?
Well if @ 24 VIT caps out @ 88points, then other stats won't be far off, I mean if your half way through your ranks and point allotment on attributes don't show a difference from someone who has added 0 points vs. another character who has added 80... they need to fix that O_O

(Unless the purpose is for it work againts Lv1 mobs and nothing else?)
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 03:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu, I don't really see why you think I'm trolling, I'm just saying what should be obvious, especially after reading the testing in this thread. The absolute highest acc from any of this testing is still under 80% with 101 DEX. That is a pretty abysmal hit rate for killing ep/dc mobs, and I don't care what level you're at. SE's little announcement is a great indication of how things are SUPPOSED to work, but clearly it's wrong. It'll be great once it's fixed though.
By xaero 2010-11-06 11:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk, I think the worst thing people are doing right now is calculating evades into the hit or miss. That should not be done. Because on your your side of the fence all you control is wether you hit or miss via your acc. The enemy won't even make a roll for an evade if you didn't land the hit.

I'm not saying here that FF14 does this that way, but for anyone who's played GURPS out there they should see this system pretty easiely. You roll vs your acc. Say your acc is 85%. Then as long as you roll better than a 15 you hit. So lets say you rolled a measly 18. Your +3 over. BUT you did hit. Now that you hit the enemy rolls for the evade. Their evade is 30% so they need a 70+ to succeed in evade, and taking your +3 in to effect they need over a 73 rolled to successfully get that evade in. They rolled a 75... sorry about your luck they evaded, but regardless you still successfully rolled a hit though. You just need to take into account the enemies defense into play as well in this
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 12:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I really don't understand the difference between a miss and an evade. I mean seriously, if a mob isn't evading your attack (ie: just standing there stone still) then how is it even possible to miss? That's like missing a tree. So therefor every time you miss, it's because the mob evaded.

But even using the in game mechanics rather than logic, surely your targets evade rate is also based on your accuracy?
By xaero 2010-11-06 12:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Hitting is basically your skill to land a hit on ANYTHING. You could critically fail trying to kick a turd on the ground and end up missing and falling on your ***. That miss had nothing to do with the turd at all. Your kick skill just came up short.

Or another application. Have you ever swung a golf club at a golf ball at full power? Have you ever missed? Did the ball evade? No you just failed your real life to hit roll with the club.

The fact is even though the mob is standing still for the most part. It HAS evasion ability. even if you don't see it physically evade or if it was in its shell and evaded(yeah i know thats dumb but oh well). IF it had to evade it's because you hit.

It's like this if you weren't even going to hit why bother rolling to evade or rolling to parry, or rolling to block? There is no point to even calculate those up if you yourself didn't even successfully swing and hit.

On the other hand once a hit has been established defensive rolls must be done at that point in time.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 12:48:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I understand it works like that in the game itself, my logic part was mostly rhetorical, because seriously, professional golfers don't simply miss the golf ball, and I think adventurer's should count as professional swordsman (or axe or w/e). Otherwise, why not put accuracy into botany and mining? Because the message "you miss" would be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE when you're swinging at a tree, which is exactly what you're saying. I'm not having a go at you at all, you're explaining how the system actually works, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous it is logically speaking (just like a crab hiding in it's shell evading).

For FFXI, as far as I'm aware, it's basically your acc against mob evasion to decide whether you hit or not. If you you miss, that's counted as mob evading, there's no separate category for miss and evade. If you hit, THAT'S when parry/block/guard/utsu/blink is calculated.

If evasion is applied separately to accuracy, then there's absolutely nothing you can do to increase your hit rate. Meaning that even at level 50, a level 1 mob is going to evade you just as much as it did when you were also at level 1.

So call it missing, call it evasion, if it's not a reflection of your stats vs mob stats, it's broken as far as I'm concerned.
By xaero 2010-11-06 12:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Soooooo....
1) You consider yourself a pro??
2) You have never seen a pro golfer miss a ball? I have, and I don't even watch much golf

Acc is in the gathering professions in terms of the hot and cold game

Again you still not understanding it. It's not your acc vs their evasion directly. Evasion is in the SAME catagory as block, parry and the rest. It's just the first thing thats calculated IF you get a hit

Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 13:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I get it, I just don't agree lol. And yes, I've seen golfers miss, but only when it's in ridiculously deep grass or shallow water or something. Watch some fencing, if the other person doesn't move, they NEVER simply just miss. So if you consider an Olympic fencer as level 50, and say, me, as level 1, I guarantee you, I'm not gonna evade ***.
By xaero 2010-11-06 13:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Aye You might not agree with it, but like in Gurps even if your skill level is at the PRO level you still have like a 5% chance to fail iirc could be less, but you always have a chance to miss. Even in real life. that lile 1-5% chance to miss could represent a twing in your muscles a cramp, or some other little factor that could cause you to miss. The game emulates those situations with that 5% or w/e SE has it set to. Does it suck for us players in terms of DPS or Holding hate? You bet, but it makes sense to have something in play even if its just for the fickle nature of luck
By Suterusu 2010-11-06 13:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Because Blazza doesn't agree how they made the game, it's broken. I CLEARLY see the logic in this now.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-06 13:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu said:
Because Blazza doesn't agree how they made the game, it's broken. I CLEARLY see the logic in this now.
You seem to have some sort of a vendetta against Blazza..
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 13:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand a 95% acc cap, that's fine, but atm it seems to be 80% acc cap, and a lot less depending on class, which is ridiculously low. I know I've died soloing things that I *should* have been able to kill, simply because my attacks and weapon skills just kept on missing over and over. And yes, my weapon was repaired.
By Suterusu 2010-11-06 13:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Suterusu said:

It's just I see him post on almost every thread on Pro and almost every one of them he comes in there acting like a know-it-all and talking out his ***.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 13:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu said:
I'm seeing this. I certainly have enemies, especially on FFXIAH because I'm too head-strong and have this insatiable urge to show people how wrong they are. Then if it turns out that I was actually wrong after all, I'm terrible at admitting it. But I'm not sure how I've managed to step on Suterusu's toes.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-06 13:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu said:
Suterusu said:

It's just I see him post on almost every thread on Pro and almost every one of them he comes in there acting like a know-it-all and talking out his ***.
Did you ever consider the fact that the threads I'm posting in, I actually DO know what I'm talking about, and hence NOT talking out my ***? Hey, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. How about you act like a grown-up and carry out a civil discussion instead of just randomly attacking me. I'm much more likely to see that I'm wrong that way (if I actually am).

As for replying to every thread, it's a very under-populated forum, and the threads interest me, so I reply, sue me.
[+]
By xaero 2010-11-06 13:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not proven, but I still feel range has at least a small factor even for us Melee. When I'm right up on a mob I seem to miss way way more(again I haven't done the math tests on it). However when I step out to a certain range where I'm starting to feel is my optimal I almost never miss. Could be luck good/bad in either case. Idk. I'll leave testing that up to other people who like doing that sort of thing. Myself I'll just keep aiming for where I feel my sweet spot is
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-11-06 13:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

xaero said:
It's not proven, but I still feel range has at least a small factor even for us Melee. When I'm right up on a mob I seem to miss way way more(again I haven't done the math tests on it). However when I step out to a certain range where I'm starting to feel is my optimal I almost never miss. Could be luck good/bad in either case. Idk. I'll leave testing that up to other people who like doing that sort of thing. Myself I'll just keep aiming for where I feel my sweet spot is
I have a theory something like this, but it's not distance, it's direction.. I've noticed that it tells you the direction you're attacking from/being attacked from, I don't really see a reason to add that in unless it's used for something.. I've done some eyeball testing and it seems certain mobs are less likely to be missed if you attack from a certain direction.
By xaero 2010-11-06 13:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, idk. I do know that certain classes are supposed to be able to ga8in dmg buffs for various attacks from flanks or back side. My pug has a 1 hit dmg buff for attacking from the rear