Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Trade Skills » Botanist » Green Mind
Green Mind
By Seriftaru 2010-10-27 09:45:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I was thinking of picking up Green Mind today but I wanted to ask first if anyone knew how the 'slow down' worked. Does it increase the number of tries you have at a certain grade?
By Suterusu 2010-10-27 16:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

To be honest I am 37 and haven't done rank 20 quest yet (not enough free time). I would also be curious as to the answer.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-10-28 00:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you have time to level to 37, but no time to do the quest? That's HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
By Suterusu 2010-10-28 02:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it? I have time to spend grinding to get level, but not much time outside that because of school. If I was going to stay caught up I would only be 34 or 35.

Leveling DoL during gather cap and rank fatigue means you get ~40ish per fail, it takes many hours of grinding to get anywhere, especially when your TNR is 50K~60K.
By Purplenv 2010-10-28 09:02:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Note, last night I had the points to get this, but it was not available.

I had the lvl 20 quest done, but had just dinged 30.
I am currently in the process of completing the lvl 30 quest, which I am hoping will unlock it.

Suterusu,

You say you don't have time, then state that it takes "MANY HOURS" to get anywhere for leveling.

If the Greenmind ability allows for more harvests on a single node, or increases success on a single node, either way, this would in turn result in FASTER leveling.

Honestly, being lvl 37, with no Botany questing done, is about as rediculous as the highest botanist on my server running around in cotton harvesting gear, and bronze tools. (he's lvl 37 now too)

I guess the only thing worse would be if you too, are using bronze tools... because it's more efficient to just grind? /boggle
[+]
By Seriftaru 2010-10-28 09:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Purplenv said:
Note, last night I had the points to get this, but it was not available.

I had the lvl 20 quest done, but had just dinged 30.
I am currently in the process of completing the lvl 30 quest, which I am hoping will unlock it.

Yah, no one responded so I thought I would just go pick it up and pioneer a bit but it was not at the NPC for purchase. I agree with you Purp, it would make more sense for it to be a higher level..

Green Mind and Sweat of Brow together is going to be awesome! :D :D :D
By Suterusu 2010-10-28 20:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

"Slows the rate at which a gathering location's remainder decreases."

I wonder if the remainder is the blue bar, meaning you will get extra swings to get the item... or if it means you gather the node more times... of it prolongs the trees life before it moves...

I might get it tonight, but really hate to blow 10K marks..
By Suterusu 2010-10-28 20:11:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Talked to a FSH, their 25 ability is similar to this, so my guess is that when it proc's you don't use as much remainder per swing. If that is true, this is as much a waste as all the others.
By Purplenv 2010-10-29 08:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I obtained Green Mind last night (yes you need to complete the rank 30 quest), but have not seen it activate yet.

I did test the number of harvests I could do to a single node with and without the trait equiped.

With my current gear:
Iron Hatchet
Iron Scythe
Velveteen Scarf
Dodoskin Jerkin
Cotton Workgloves
Dodoskin Culottes
Leather Workboots

For both a logging, and harvesting(scythe) node, I was able to harvest twice. This was the case both with green mind equiped, and without when there was no proc.

Since I was mostly doing OH harvesting, or grade 5 trees last night, I did not see Green Mind proc, so I was unable to test it.

With leves tonight, and I will likely grind out on some grade 4's, Ill hopefully see what this 10k guild marks gets me.

My prediction is that this ability will be most usefull when grinding out on proper level nodes, where you get 5+ hits on a single node. While the ability still needs to proc during harvesting, if it goes off early enough, you could maybe gain multiple additional hits.
I am confident, based on the description, that this ability will increase the number of harvests to a MH node, and not just slow the decay of the progress bar, during each harvest.

Current traits setup for grinding skill will be,
Sweat of Brow, Green Mind, Truth of Forests

If I would be trying for larger volume results rather then skilling up, I might have to try swapping in Kings Yield (from 25 mining), to help increase the yields per strike. (seems to work fairly well)
By Suterusu 2010-10-29 10:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe the only stats that affect the number of times you can gather are output and your rank.
By Seriftaru 2010-10-29 11:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope you are wrong Suterusu and Purp is right because more chops/swings would be rather dreamy! lol
By Purplenv 2010-10-29 11:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu said:
I believe the only stats that affect the number of times you can gather are output and your rank.

It's not a stat though. It is a randomly activated trait.
These traits can be coded to do whatever SE decides they want them to do, considering Sweat of Brow doubles the SP gains, while active.
By Suterusu 2010-10-29 16:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Awaiting the results :)
By Purplenv 2010-10-29 18:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Green Mind does NOT increase the number of harvests to a single node.

I was testing on Grade 2 mining nodes, that give me 8 harvests, so I could increase the chance to proc.

Still only 8 harvests, even with it procing after the very first harvest.

The Green Mind buff lasted for the remainder of the node.
The remainder bar was depleated at a lower rate per missed strike.

I still see this usefull for like on T4 nodes, and you get a black truffle. Normal strikes, and at level 3 you will never take it in. With this buff up, (random luck of course, on top of getting a black truffle to come up at the same time), and it may just be possible to take one in.

For leveling, currently running with Sweat of Brow, Green Mind, and Truth of Forest.
By Suterusu 2010-10-29 19:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO leveling with anything other than Sweat of Brow is a waste. The reason is you can only proc one ability per tree. With that I would rather proc ONLY SoB. Even if it's on the last strike, SoB is like getting an extra swing in. If you have other abilities proc'ing you are less likely to have SoB proc simply because other abilities may already be active.

This is how myself and Dimboo Choptrees do it, if you have other methods and reasons for them I'd like to hear it.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-10-30 00:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well obviously not all abilities were created with the intent of getting you to 50 the fastest. While it sounds like SoB is the best for that, the other abilities are probably very good when it comes to actually getting items out of your botany. 'Cause like, if you don't want to chop up some good wood, why level Botany? lol
By Suterusu 2010-10-30 00:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Except, he said: "For leveling, currently running with Sweat of Brow, Green Mind, and Truth of Forest."

Therefore my comment was related to leveling ^^ And yours?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-10-30 01:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't actually commenting on any one person's leveling techniques, I was just talking about the abilities themselves.
By Seriftaru 2010-10-31 14:22:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Purplenv said:
Green Mind does NOT increase the number of harvests to a single node.

I was testing on Grade 2 mining nodes, that give me 8 harvests, so I could increase the chance to proc.

Still only 8 harvests, even with it procing after the very first harvest.

The Green Mind buff lasted for the remainder of the node.
The remainder bar was depleated at a lower rate per missed strike.

I still see this usefull for like on T4 nodes, and you get a black truffle. Normal strikes, and at level 3 you will never take it in. With this buff up, (random luck of course, on top of getting a black truffle to come up at the same time), and it may just be possible to take one in.

For leveling, currently running with Sweat of Brow, Green Mind, and Truth of Forest.

Thanks Purp :D!
By Purplenv 2010-11-01 06:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Suterusu said:
Except, he said: "For leveling, currently running with Sweat of Brow, Green Mind, and Truth of Forest."

Therefore my comment was related to leveling ^^ And yours?

I will addmit, since the comment I have dropped all other DoL traits and only run with SoB, which has helped.

I do have to wonder however, if each ability has its own individual chance to proc, or if there is just one main chance and then it sellects from what you have equiped.

I understand the one buff per node, so ideally SoB is the way to go for SP grind, but it really does seem like I have less proc's overall with just the one skill equiped. I have no data to support this, and just a gut impression.