Why Do I See Almost NO Corsairs?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Why do I see almost NO Corsairs?
Why do I see almost NO Corsairs?
By Afania 2010-10-23 04:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Authority said:
Very quick question, basically just the title. Why are Corsairs one of the least played classes? Just curious if its the cost or what the deal is? Overall it looks fun, but I've never played it.

Any input?

Although COR is my favorite job I played in this game so far, I found myself rarely use it also. There are really a few situations that a COR is really, really needed. Besides lv 75 merit pt, most of the time it can be replaced and doesn't seem to make a difference. Well, COR can do ranged dmg and magic dmg, but there are other jobs that's better at it. It has some buffs BRD doesn't have, but only like 5% of time they're really really needed. Snapshot for RNG and magic attk bouns for BLM looks nice, but are they really needed? I'd say no, especially both RNG and BLM are jobs need hate control, you make them shoot faster/nuke harder, they die faster 8D. Double attack roll is nice, but who cares about it when BRD can give haste. Magic def roll is useful, but BRD can give double Carol... Fast cast roll is good for tank pt, but once again, BRD can haste....It's just a job that's good to have in the pt, but not a must have.

The introduction of abyssea also makes COR less useful. EXP roll won't work in abyssea, and DD rather want BRD buff because atma/cruor gives plenty of attk. I found myself having hard time getting abyssea invite on COR :/

As for the cost, it certainly cost a lot to DD on this job, it's more expensive to DD on this job than other DDs(except RNG maybe), but it's not as effective. I mean, for those with many jobs 85, instead of spending 25k on a stack of bullet and more on food/card to DD, you can just go change job to real DDs and do even more dmg and cost less. So sometimes it's a bit frustrating. That's one reason why many CORs don't DD, another reason is because community doesn't care, so most CORs never bother to research and invest money on info and gears to improve dmg output. Once someone told me a COR can come into pt naked and ppl would still want, which makes me kinda sad :/

I also found a lot of CORs do rolls that's benefit to themselves instead of rolls that benefiting whole pt. This really annoys me a lot. Such as using wizard's roll and keep them on all the time for QDdmg when there are no other nuker in the pt, or using hunters roll when other DDs in the pt has no acc problem. COR kinda need right buff to have good dmg output, and buffs that's good for COR isn't necessary good for whole pt. Sometimes I can't stop wondering if "DD" and "Buff" just won't match. I'm able to keep 4 rolls in lv 75 era pink bird merit pt, but I lose DD buffs 1/3 of time. It's already hard to compete with real DDs(besides all the piercing advantage and such) when DDing on COR, and losing DD buffs makes it even harder. Also, there are many ways to give better buffs to the pt, but it takes time to move around, busting and rerolling, carry one bust effect on purpose to redo numbers quickly etc, but doing all those decrease the dmg output even more. DD on COR is just not effective, and cost a lot.

If COR can get a truly useful roll that is really really needed, more ppl would probably level it. Right now it's just a job that's not as important as BRD, WHM, RDM or BLM, but very expensive to play well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-10-23 06:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Leviathan.Optimis
Server: Leviathan
user: optimisx
By Leviathan.Optimis 2010-10-23 08:17:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasnt the best cor in the world, but boy did i love that job shooting stuff is freakin fun haha. i spent so much money on bullets and gear to make sure i didnt miss thoses bullets but when i pt with a rng i alwasy got put to shame v.v but no matter what i alwasy kept my 3 rolls up!

-loledit- forgot avatar was me in cor af XD
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
Server: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-10-23 08:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

i <3 my COR

i was a shooting COR until lv 75+
got gear to support melee TP build and dropping 2k slug shots when i had the TP

racc/ratt atma's in abyssea just make it even better XD

i do have a kite QD set/QD DD set/mage set/dd set/racc set/slug shot set/det set

so it is a lot of gear to carry around but i don't mind

just very situational nowadays with the other jobs i have to offer my EGLS and very rare i get told to gear it :(
 Bismarck.Shyral
Server: Bismarck
user: shyral
By Bismarck.Shyral 2010-10-23 08:58:58
Link | Quote | Reply

In my opinion, COR is the most fun when soloing/low manning NMs. Being able to do instantaneous substantial damage while moving at enhanced movement speed is something I'll never get tired of. And atmas with MAB/Elemental MATK only help CORs in this regard.
[+]
By MoonZ 2010-10-23 09:59:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
It's not always so easy to stay in the right position at the right time. That's why I like cors that announce they are going to roll. Cause no matter what job I'm on chances are I have to move around a bit lol
I've never really seen an COR that gives a 5 second warning before they roll. Unless you mean a p chat macro, so you can run in before they double up (Which usually happens 1 second after the roll)

and even whit warning,
1. ppl dont move
2. ppl move away

is kinda hard when ppl dotn know how cor works, and its a funny job, atm im lvl 69 and im getting fun everytime i lvl it.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-10-23 10:52:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Basically, most people prefer Slow+50% and Haste songs vs some fast cast/refresh and slow+10%. COR is a lovely edition to BLM parties though, RNG parties too.

This. Unless you have enough people to put a cor AND a bard into a dd-pt without lacking anywhere else, it's not really worth it.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-10-23 11:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I <3 my Cor, but its a hella pain to gear it every time it is required.
while I dont have the ideal setups id like, they do their job.
I agree, as a cor, it pisses me off seing cors in abyss or pt's just afk and do rolls every 2~3 mins (amusing they even know how to do 2 rolls) or even show up nakie.
If the conditions for the party is perfect (location and ppl's placement) is possible to do 4 rolls

and one thing some cors dont get, is that you can still keep roll rotation with 1 bust up. you just dont get both effects.

<3 Af2 hat
My ls prefers Cor on tank pt on magic using mobs for Blu+Casters rolls

Leviathan.Popebenedict
Server: Leviathan
user: zwjl
By Leviathan.Popebenedict 2010-10-23 21:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say the lack of Corsairs is a direct result of the minimal number of boat zones.

I mean... I'm pretty much limited to riding back and forth from Selbina to Mhaura (Aht Urghan is not terribly friendly to us pirate folk, so I try to avoid it) and as you know, apart from the occasional duel with Silverhook or Blackbeard, there aren't a whole lot of ways to gain esteem in the pirating community on these ships.

This is why I recommend that SE stops discriminating against us hard working Pirates in favor of those sissy landlubbers and finally create a decent ship ownership/battle system (would work very similar to a mog house, except you could set other peoples on fire/loot them/abduct any wenches dwelling in their ship at that particular time.)
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Yukimu
Server: Bahamut
user: Yukimu
By Bahamut.Yukimu 2010-10-23 22:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I <3 Cor. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg~
Cor for life. <3
But really cost is one reason and supply is another... There are hardly any crafter for Steel bullets anymore on my sever. The Corsairs that are left are camping the AH for the steel bullets... like me... "Its a Cor life".
Then you have SE slapping us in our face with this
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/19199/oberons-bullet/?stack=1
They released new bullets but require Synergy (Journeyman 50)and Skills: Alchemy (85), Goldsmithing (Apprentice).

Also the fact that there are just so many shitty Corsairs out there, it does not make other players think "OMFG I want to be just like you". Idk about you guys, but when my ls has a motto that says "Our COR out damage your SAM" it mean something.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-10-23 23:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I had fun with COR, TARUTARU PIRATE FTW!!

I stopped playing it when people expected me to be a DD and Bard 2.0 at the same time though.

[+]
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-10-24 03:58:21
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm currently lvling cor as my next job up, got it to 40 so far and im loving it (though i do tend to bust often since 8 is an evil number >.>). havent had a chance to use evoker's in a pt, but i always tend to keep 3 rolls going with only a few seconds delay. definitely harder when pulling though (i love my bronze bandolier ; ;).

its definitely a job you have to really think about if you want to play it with any decency, and can definitely get expensive (unless you or say, your totally awesome ls leader with 98 alchemy can craft the bullets).

really love the job though, its a lot of fun and i especially like how it never plays out the same way.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-10-24 04:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Love my cor, it's well geared and I play it quite well, but for anything official I won't be asked to come corsair instead of my whm or ...brd. Yeah the buffs are unique and can be potent, but in the end it's not better than the other things that can be put in the spot of the corsair.

Other than that it's hella fun to run like hell while firing off quickdraws like a madman.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-10-24 04:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

COR at 85, last time I logged in it was only used for COR/WHM :c
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-10-24 05:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do I see almost NO Corsairs?
because spending 150k on oberon's bullets leaves me with no money
and no one really knows how to play it well
By Yakamo 2010-11-18 08:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The main reason I don't play COR as much anymore is because Abyssea need jobs to trigger !! for key items and such, and COR offers almost nothing in that category, or the other !! for drops either.

They do take a huge hit in the DD category with barely any new toys to use for melee, and with BRDs being better support machines than they are, as well as threnody for Magic !! triggers, they fall way behind both in terms of usefulness to a non-lowman Abyssea run.

I feel like if they fix CORs to offer more !! triggers they can see more use in Abyssea overall.

Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-11-18 08:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakamo said:

The main reason I don't play COR as much anymore is because Abyssea need jobs to trigger !! for key items and such, and COR offers almost nothing in that category, or the other !! for drops either.

Eh, I beg to differ.
I've triggered the "!!" plenty of times on COR before.
In fact, just did it last night with Slug Shot on Chuckie
 Asura.Matzilla
Server: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Matzilla 2010-11-18 08:17:29
Link | Quote | Reply

2 WSes out of the 49 possible procs are very good odds and excellent reasons to bring corsairs to a fight
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-11-18 08:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Matzilla said:
2 WSes out of the 49 possible procs are very good odds and excellent reasons to bring corsairs to a fight

^^ And It's more then 2 I believe... since not only do we gun the Marksmanship WS's, we also get Sword and Dagger.
[+]
 Asura.Solara
user: solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-11-18 13:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yakamo said:

Not close to true, Cor can trigger on gun sword and dagger. If your Cor don't have those weapons capped and on them, it's their fault for being useless, not the job.

Quote:

They do take a huge hit in the DD category with barely any new toys to use for melee

Also wrong, I QD for 780-1100 depending on the circumstances (weather/blm in party/meds/etc) and Wildfire for 2.9-3.3k nearly hateless dmg.

Speaking to your post and the thread topic in general, very few people play Cor because it's expensive to keep it geared and supplied, and harder to maximize effectiveness on than your average bandwagon job.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2010-11-18 13:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to play cor a lot to quickdraw kite things and pin VNMs and such. But then FF filled up with a bunch of haters who QQ too much because they can't do anything and are jealous and call daddy GM on you. So the "fun"ness of it being that it IS a game kinda fell off.
[+]
By Afania 2010-11-18 13:50:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:

Quote:

They do take a huge hit in the DD category with barely any new toys to use for melee

Also wrong, I QD for 780-1100 depending on the circumstances (weather/blm in party/meds/etc) and Wildfire for 2.9-3.3k nearly hateless dmg.

He mentioned melee. So it has nothing to do with QD and magical WS, which only gets benefit from magic attack atma.

And isn't 1k QD dmg can only be done in abby with magic attack atma?(If not, then I'm sorry.) That means no DD atma. 1k dmg every 45 sec isn't too impressive nowadays anyways, when MNK can do like 250+ with RR atma almost every punch.

For wildfire, 3k dmg seems to be lower than other Empyrean WSs according to some screenshot posted on forums. If you're fighting mobs weak against piercing, even Slugshot can hit 3k+(In fact I think with proper gear/sub/buff slug shot>wildfire on bird/bats). IMO, Wildfire is not too powerful for dmg dealing purpose for an Empyrean WS, probably mostly because it's magical.

Now abby is kind of the world of 1h&h2h weapon, crit-hit WS and RR atma, if COR gets stronger melee multi-hit weapon, maybe it'd get more benefit from it.
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-11-18 13:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

perhaps more than 2, but you cant do all the sword wses with 1 subjob so why consider cor as a possible job to do these wses

you cant do all the dagger wses, you cant do all the marksmanship wses

I fail to see how cor is useful AT ALL for weakness triggering
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-11-19 17:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said:

He mentioned melee. So it has nothing to do with QD and magical WS, which only gets benefit from magic attack atma.

Cor has never had heavy dd level auto attack damage, it's always been a ws dependent job. That said, I think this argument is totally semantic, when the point was the ability of Cor to deal damage.

Quote:

And isn't 1k QD dmg can only be done in abby with magic attack atma?(If not, then I'm sorry.) That means no DD atma. 1k dmg every 45 sec isn't too impressive nowadays anyways, when MNK can do like 250+ with RR atma almost every punch.

Mnk is currently tied with War as the top dd in Abyssea, of course Cor won't be competitive with them on dmg. It's their ability to buff the other members of the party while dealing while providing appreciable damage that makes them noteworthy.

Quote:

For wildfire, 3k dmg seems to be lower than other Empyrean WSs according to some screenshot posted on forums. If you're fighting mobs weak against piercing, even Slugshot can hit 3k+(In fact I think with proper gear/sub/buff slug shot>wildfire on bird/bats). IMO, Wildfire is not too powerful for dmg dealing purpose for an Empyrean WS, probably mostly because it's magical.

I have two Empyreans in my static, 3k is definitely along the average range. Screenshots of high end damage don't equal average, take a look at the parses that have been posted to get a better feel for where the average lies. There aren't a lot of piercing mobs in Abyssea that you would normally fight, so Slug doesn't get a ton of mileage. For the times when it does, a Wildfire gun has more base dmg than any other option, and still wins.

Quote:

Now abby is kind of the world of 1h&h2h weapon, crit-hit WS and RR atma, if COR gets stronger melee multi-hit weapon, maybe it'd get more benefit from it.

Even having topped parses against average players with it, I know Cor will never be a top tier dd. It's not a big loss though, because it isn't meant to be and doesn't need to be. Simply having an appreciable damage output in conjunction with it's powerful buffs makes it a very useful job.

Quote:
perhaps more than 2, but you cant do all the sword wses with 1 subjob so why consider cor as a possible job to do these wses

you cant do all the dagger wses, you cant do all the marksmanship wses

I fail to see how cor is useful AT ALL for weakness triggering

I don't know about most people, but I do Abyssea with 4-5 people and a mule tops. With our setup, we never have every possible trigger ws, but we do like to attempt every ws we have available.

Cor is the only job we have for sword/dagger/marksmanship without putting the rdm in aoe range, since we go with mnkx2 whm rdm brdmule cor for nm runs. Yesterday we did Glavoid x2, Chlorisx2, Lacoviex3, Chukwa x3, and Mict x3; and we triggered most. It's not 100% trigger rate, but it beats not triggering the ws it can it, while providing more overall usefulness than having me come War.

If you can't see how triggering some is not useful AT ALL vs triggering nothing for those weapons, idk what to tell you.
 Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-11-19 18:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

An example of what I meant by averages.
By Afania 2010-11-19 19:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:

Mnk is currently tied with War as the top dd in Abyssea, of course Cor won't be competitive with them on dmg. It's their ability to buff the other members of the party while dealing while providing appreciable damage that makes them noteworthy.

Quote:

Even having topped parses against average players with it, I know Cor will never be a top tier dd. It's not a big loss though, because it isn't meant to be and doesn't need to be. Simply having an appreciable damage output in conjunction with it's powerful buffs makes it a very useful job.

That is one of the problem I've found. The buffing/support part(or, most of the buffs/support ability but maybe not all) isn't as useful most of the time as BRD, and dmg wise it's not competitive compare with top DDs. You may as well just come DD(if you have another DD job that's equally geared that is) when you need dmg, or BRD when you need support. This game pretty much favors jobs that excel in something most of the time.

Of course there are still some buffs BRD doesn't have, such as snapshot/fast cast/magic attack/pet rolls, but so far I haven't found many situations that those buffs are a must have and can not be replaced. Snapshot sounds nice, but RNG is a job that needs to avoid getting hate or else they do less dmg when mobs in close distance, unless you can somehow CS stun the mob or fighting mobs that moves slow/doesn't move at all. Magic attack roll as previous mentioned, 3BLM>2BLM+1COR. Pet roll for pet pt is the same ._.
Fast cast for tank pt I believe BRD with march+elegy can do the job.

Some of the most useful rolls in 75 era such as Chaos roll and Corsair's roll are now pretty much dead, with DDs receiving billions of attack bouns from atma/cruor buff, and no EXP bouns in abby. Thanks to all the crit-hit rate+ from RR atma, I found the most powerful DD buff from COR is actually lolBlitzers.

Not to mention SE keep giving BRD higher tier of buff such as BalladIII and godly CarolII, making them even more powerful as a support than it used to be. While COR buff and JAs are kinda too random and most of the time not as powerful....yes, the random element in buff and JA can be fun, but realistic speaking, getting a bad number Magus roll when unstunnable -gaIII coming isn't fun. I'd take BRD over COR in such situations.

Yes COR has the dmg ability, however, unless the SE gives COR top tier dmg output like WAR or MNK, it's hard to be competitive in both support and DD aspect.

Inb4 "Hey I just outparsed some DRK/WAR/MNK/RNG on COR the other day!"

Asura.Solara
By Asura.Solara 2010-11-19 19:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said:

That is one of the problem I've found. The buffing/support part(or, most of the buffs/support ability but maybe not all) isn't as useful most of the time as BRD, and dmg wise it's not competitive compare with top DDs. You may as well just come DD(if you have another DD job that's equally geared that is) when you need dmg, or BRD when you need support. This game pretty much favors jobs that excel in something most of the time.

Of course there are still some buffs BRD doesn't have, such as snapshot/fast cast/magic attack/pet rolls, but so far I haven't found many situations that those buffs are a must have and can not be replaced. Snapshot sounds nice, but RNG is a job that needs to avoid getting hate or else they do less dmg when mobs in close distance, unless you can somehow CS stun the mob or fighting mobs that moves slow/doesn't move at all. Magic attack roll as previous mentioned, 3BLM>2BLM+1COR. Pet roll for pet pt is the same ._.
Fast cast for tank pt I believe BRD with march+elegy can do the job.

Some of the most useful rolls in 75 era such as Chaos roll and Corsair's roll are now pretty much dead, with DDs receiving billions of attack bouns from atma/cruor buff, and no EXP bouns in abby. Thanks to all the crit-hit rate+ from RR atma, I found the most powerful DD buff from COR is actually lolBlitzers.

Not to mention SE keep giving BRD higher tier of buff such as BalladIII and godly CarolII, making them even more powerful as a support than it used to be. While COR buff and JAs are kinda too random and most of the time not as powerful....yes, the random element in buff and JA can be fun, but realistic speaking, getting a bad number Magus roll when unstunnable -gaIII coming isn't fun. I'd take BRD over COR in such situations.

Blitzers is actually very good when using a dual mnk setup like the one I run with. Alongside War roll, it gives a solid boost in tp gain and dmg output. Brd songs are a must, I agree, but I prefer to have songs and rolls, I can't think of a good reason not to have both.

Quote:

Yes COR has the dmg ability, however, unless the SE gives COR top tier dmg output like WAR or MNK, it's hard to be competitive in both support and DD aspect.

Inb4 "Hey I just outparsed some DRK/WAR/MNK/RNG on COR the other day!"

I'm not sure why you even felt the need to add that, since I already said "I know Cor will never be a top tier dd. It's not a big loss though, because it isn't meant to be and doesn't need to be. Simply having an appreciable damage output in conjunction with it's powerful buffs makes it a very useful job." Again, it's not the best at either, it just adds a very useful amount of both which makes it worth a party spot.
By Afania 2010-11-19 20:05:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Solara said:

I'm not sure why you even felt the need to add that, since I already said "I know Cor will never be a top tier dd. It's not a big loss though, because it isn't meant to be and doesn't need to be. Simply having an appreciable damage output in conjunction with it's powerful buffs makes it a very useful job." Again, it's not the best at either, it just adds a very useful amount of both which makes it worth a party spot.

It doesn't need to be top tier DD, it does needs some super useful and unreplaceable buff/ability like BRD to be useful again, or else we can replace Cor with another job anyday.