Shadow Tanking?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Shadow Tanking?
Shadow Tanking?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-30 12:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Fenrir.Gradd said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Eh, some shells like a safety net though, no matter how insignificant :|

I know i enjoy going to things as PLD, i enjoy the job, But its painfully obvious that eventually people reach Enmity cap in long fights and that a tank becomes rather obsolete as the slightest action will have the mob turning for a new target.

Its a shame :|, They should give PLD a job trait that raises their Enmity cap, that way they will always be able (with proper use) to keep their Enmity higher than the rest of the party, making a tank actually useful again outside of the first ~10 minutes of a fight.

Who knows :\ that + better DD capabilities and not nerfing Atonement on every new mob would be just peachy.

I love PLD aswell my last Few shells I have been the Main tank for each LS, but since Abyssea came out I find myself playing PLD less and less... and WHM more(nobody wants Drks Q.Q)...

The atonement gimp is one of the big things I find that hurt PLD the most, I dont know what the hell SE was thinking by doing that. I never liked to rely on atonement for hate, but it certainly was Paladin's strongest hate tool at the time, 750 unresisted Damage is just amazing. It made PLD a very strong DD on many HNM Type Mobs, and any long fight for that matter. Also Atonement on Cerb is just Sexy X=

Ive been screwing around with Sanguine Blade lately, need to try it on actual mobs in Abyssea that matter, but been getting 555 Damage consistently in my current set, I want to get more MAB gear but its really hard to come by on PLD :/

This is the current set ive been messing around with

I'm probrably going to turn ASA legs into MAB legs, and Champion's Galea into a MAB hat just to see how much I can pump up the Damage of sanguine on PLD. Not really sure what other uses id have for those pieces SE really shat all over the mini expansion gear latley, its awsome how they make us pay 10$ for each then make the gear ***a year later!

FUUUUUUUUU SE!

I tried a few Sanguine Blade last night in abyssea (As rdm) with Atma of the Minikin Monstrosity and Atma of the Heavens (MAB/Refresh one). I was pulling consistantly 820~ dmg on Lusca (T3 VNM in Chasm), wasn't using nuke set, so I guess it's a decent alternative to atonement on pld.

I was meleeing NM on rdm to trigger !! weakness, I'm not a melee rdm fanatic >.>

I was under the impression that RDM couldnt use Sanguine blade? Well it can but it has to sub WAR BLU PLD or DRK. Were you Rdm/Drk? Also ya RDM has MAB trait like I said earlier to the BLU thats cheating <.<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Katori
Server: Phoenix
user: agroyboy
By Phoenix.Katori 2010-09-30 12:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

opps sorry 8 lol. yea they just used haste cap alot lol.
 Sylph.Rorrick
Server: Sylph
user: Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-09-30 12:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Aye, a simple 10% increase in PLDs enmity cap would be so long as the PLD keeps it above that line they can keep hate indefinitely, or at the very least reclaim hate from a DD who has hit cap.

It would prove very valuable in some situations, being able to have your DD and BLMs nuke without fear of being owned (unless PLD takes a jump in damage) would be nice.

then again have to factor in VE, not just CE, So it'd be tricky to keep up but if done right...

Just hope SE Realizes the flaws with PLD and work to fix them. The low damage output, Enmity cap will eventually be reached by all participants in longer fights, etc, making a tank useless after a certain point in the fight

Sylph.Rorrick said:
The way to fix PLD is to reduce the recasts on all their JAs by at least half. Seigan/Third Eye is thirty seconds (and while it's up you take no damage, unlike Sentinel), Counterstance is 5 minutes/five minutes and also completely negates damage, and Perfect Counter is a minute recast. Other jobs have JAs on shorter recasts that mitigate damage significantly better than PLD's do. They also all need to generate more enmity.

Also, stop giving Atonement the Soul Eater treatment. It's not even in the same league.

I agree with your point in shortening recast timers, but Counterstance is far from completely mitigating, it puts your DEF in double digits, and only increases Counter to about ~50%, which can still whiff cause of accuracy even with the best build, that and you can't counter Weaponskill, and Counterstance makes even the weakest WS hit for some high numbers if you're unlucky.

Its a great-great ability but it does have its fall backs.

You know, Making Sentinel a 3min recast with 2 min duration (Same effect degrading over time) would make it interesting...

Edit: And yah, the Atonement Nerfing like Souleater is so GD Annoying,i hate capping Enmity and busting out 200 Damage atonements, did they really think it was -that- broken?

Really, why give us it if you're just going to nerf it on everything worthwhile :\

It was already established defense is a joke in this game, and the amount of damage you completely avoid by countering (it goes over 50%, relic feet alone bump it by 10% on top of whatever counter gear I macro in for shadow casting, and you can't miss a counter (Perfect Counter is the exception). As long as your accuracy is capped (it should always be at this point) your counter rate under Counterstance should be over 50%) far outweighs the extra twenty points of damage you take for having Counterstance up, not to mention all the times you'd have been hit without Counterstance up, or how many times you'd get interrupted trying to cast Utsusemi without it. The only times I don't put it up are when I know it's going to be frequently dispelled (I can use it as a hate tool) or on the first floor of Salvage.

It's a bit luck based (~60% =/= 100%) but the benefits far outweigh the detriments and it still mitigates more damage than Sentinel and you can keep it on all the time.

By Tedril 2010-10-01 12:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks everyody for your point of views on tanking...
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-02 01:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

Ive been screwing around with Sanguine Blade lately, need to try it on actual mobs in Abyssea that matter, but been getting 555 Damage consistently in my current set, I want to get more MAB gear but its really hard to come by on PLD :/

I'm probrably going to turn ASA legs into MAB legs, and Champion's Galea into a MAB hat just to see how much I can pump up the Damage of sanguine on PLD. Not really sure what other uses id have for those pieces SE really shat all over the mini expansion gear latley, its awsome how they make us pay 10$ for each then make the gear ***a year later!

FUUUUUUUUU SE!

Would suggest Jet Seraweels and Royal Knight's Belt as changes in that gear set.

Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-02 05:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If you actually read my post youd see that im turning my ASA legs into MAB legs. :P
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-10-02 23:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Save the augment and get the MAB legs from the Bloodbathed Crown SCNM in La Vaule. Witchstone would also be be much better than that Incantor Stone, although even a Phantom Tathlum would do more for you.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-10-03 03:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Witchstone Rare
[Ammo] All Races
Magic Atk. Bonus+2
LV 79 WHM BLM RDM BRD SMN SCH
Dont see PLD on there.

Done that BC at least 50 times never seen pants drop, they don't exist.
 Phoenix.Stridentzephon
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Stridentzephon 2010-10-03 10:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

OK..... what are you talking about????? A decent PLD can tank in abyssea easy. Not so much a decent ninja tanking in abyssea. When will people get off eva's D"@#k and get some DD gear? PLD tanking is cake walk. If you suffer from not being able to hold hate as a "Tank" then time to overhaul your gear and stop play the job like its 1995! All jobs change and gives more to the abilites so why do you think you should tank the same way? Your now level 85 so why do you still not have 1st gen end game gear? People look at this as /cry myself to sleep cause i cant get the AF3 now and yet they don't continue to strive to get the 1st gen end game gear. Then cry when we see all the DDs or same job come with some god gear and cant keep up. Its a two way street get some people organized and get the gear! I tank in Abyssea all the time with no problems on ninja but shadows are gone in 3-4 hits. I don't use any Eva gear, unless I'm in the red. Shadow tanking is ok until you are stuck on recasting, during that time your getting the crap beat out of you.To top it off if you do win the recast race you have to time it to take a hit while casting and watching the cure bombs. I have seen many of PLD tank very well and had no problems either, not trying to sound like a A@@ but get the gear and items and learn the pros and cons before saying the "job" can't preform on par with other jobs cause most people are over that reason and is why the game is getting easy and easier!
 Sylph.Rorrick
By Sylph.Rorrick 2010-10-03 12:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
Witchstone Rare
[Ammo] All Races
Magic Atk. Bonus+2
LV 79 WHM BLM RDM BRD SMN SCH
Dont see PLD on there.

Done that BC at least 50 times never seen pants drop, they don't exist.

Woops. Dunno why I thought it was all jobs. Phantom Tathlum would still be better though.

I've gotten those pants on just about every run. >_>
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-10-03 13:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:

FUUUUUUUUU SE!

Use an int ring over that mnd ring.
 Unicorn.Motenten
VIP
Server: Unicorn
user: Motenten
By Unicorn.Motenten 2010-10-03 15:12:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
If you actually read my post youd see that im turning my ASA legs into MAB legs. :P

Since you have 12 MAB in your build already (going to 14 if you get the Int+MAB Galea), a rough estimate puts you at needing to have a base damage (before MAB) of about 625 (or close to 700 damage with MAB included) before the +4 MAB of the ASA pants would outdo Jet Seraweels.

I didn't have a full working build when I first started messing with it, but even with Abyssea stat buffs my base damage was only about 500. I don't see anything in your gear set that is likely to put you significantly higher than that, so my feeling is that the Jet Seraweels will usually be better.