Excessive Summoning Skill, Is It Worth It?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Excessive summoning skill, is it worth it?
Excessive summoning skill, is it worth it?
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-08-24 12:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Are there any effects from having more than +30 skill over cap? I'd imagine the duration of wards don't increase past 180sec and that siphon may still increase MP recovery...but what about accuracy or other avatar stats? Does anyone have any testing or anecdotal testimonials about this?
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-08-24 12:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Duration doesn't go past 180 seconds, I know that for sure. I don't think there is a cap on Elemental Siphon. I'm not quite sure how skill is converted into accuracy, just that it is, and I believe avatars have a lower accuracy cap than normal accuracy. I'm not 100% sure though on any of this...
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-24 12:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Before the level cap was raised, testing showed that large amounts of extra skill were required for comparatively tiny increases in accuracy after ~+32 skill above cap or so. I can't imagine that that has changed much without something in the update notes.
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-24 12:49:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If you take hastega which lasts for 1 min, every extra skill over the base cap is an extra 2 seconds onto the time, so you would need 60 over cap to make hastega last 180 sec.

For shorter 30 second BPs every skill is an extra 1 second over the base cap so you need 150 skill to reach 180 sec.

It also makes the elemental summons more intelligent and have shorter recast timers (now if only someone ever used them).

and...

Spell interruption down too.... for a solo smn that's more valuable than you may realize.
 Siren.Temeraire
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-24 13:00:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
If you take hastega which lasts for 1 min, every extra skill over the base cap is an extra 2 seconds onto the time, so you would need 60 over cap to make hastega last 180 sec. For shorter 30 second BPs every skill is an extra 1 second over the base cap so you need 150 skill to reach 180 sec. It also makes the elemental summons more intelligent and have shorter recast timers (now if only someone ever used them). and... Spell interruption down too.... for a solo smn that's more valuable than you may realize.

Hastega lasts for a base of 90 seconds. Every 1 skill grants 3 more seconds on it. You need 30 extra skill to cap it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
Server: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-24 13:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Temeraire said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
If you take hastega which lasts for 1 min, every extra skill over the base cap is an extra 2 seconds onto the time, so you would need 60 over cap to make hastega last 180 sec. For shorter 30 second BPs every skill is an extra 1 second over the base cap so you need 150 skill to reach 180 sec. It also makes the elemental summons more intelligent and have shorter recast timers (now if only someone ever used them). and... Spell interruption down too.... for a solo smn that's more valuable than you may realize.

Hastega lasts for a base of 90 seconds. Every 1 skill grants 3 more seconds on it. You need 30 extra skill to cap it.

Ooooh I stand corrected.

30 sec BP 1 skill = 1 sec +150 skill to cap
60 sec BP 1 skill = 2 sec +60 skill to cap
90 sec BP 1 skill = 3 sec +30 skill to cap
 Siren.Kunimatsu
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2010-08-24 13:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Elemental siphon caps at 350 skill, then the tatsumaki siphon +20 aug goes on top of that

Most buffs will cap easily with around 30skill over cap or so BUT....
Hastega has now been buffed to 1.30-5.00mins

need 210 seconds to hit 5min cap, 210/3 (1 skill over cap=3 seconds)= 70 skill over cap needed

I'm at +53 over cap <.<

Edit: you want as much summoning skill as you can for magical BPs so they don't resist, and sometimes for physical but keeping AF legs on (+14 avatar acc)
 Bahamut.Weasel
Server: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2010-08-24 13:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

We won't know until level 99, but we might be able to hit another refresh tier for Diabolos's Favor. Hitting 317 for 4-tick refresh isn't hard now at level 80 (just need an extra 23 summoning magic in gear or merits), so either 5- or 6-tick refresh might be an option past the level 99 cap.
 Lakshmi.Vlorsutes
Server: Lakshmi
user: Vlorsutes
By Lakshmi.Vlorsutes 2010-09-04 23:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Weasel said:
We won't know until level 99, but we might be able to hit another refresh tier for Diabolos's Favor. Hitting 317 for 4-tick refresh isn't hard now at level 80 (just need an extra 23 summoning magic in gear or merits), so either 5- or 6-tick refresh might be an option past the level 99 cap.

We might, but I personally doubt it. When they added the Avatar's Favor effects, they specifically commented that the full potency on them would be equivalent to a Lucky # from a Corsair without the boost from having the job in that party.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-09-04 23:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

They said it would be "Similar to that of a Lucky Corsair's Roll"

And with several things, It may increase further on the way to level 99.

They just recently increased Elemental Siphon's Maximum MP Drain to (surely) accommodate the increase in Summoning Magic skill on the way to 99 Cap, they may do the same with favor (however unlikely...)

As of right now, Theres no point it mashing extra SMN skill past about ~+32 as long as you're capping Elemental Siphon.

When the update comes, you'll have to see what Siphon caps out at now x.x; and go from there.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [175 days between previous and next post]
 Alexander.Alistrianna
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Alistrianna 2011-02-26 21:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

A few updates ago SE increased base durations of tones of pacts and how skill over cap seemed to affect them. I noticed that skill over cap seemed to be adding 1 second per skill. Hastega has been lasting 5mins and 9 secs last i checked with my current skill level. I haven't been on SMN in a few weeks so I've forgetten my skill capped at.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Alexander.Alistrianna
By Alexander.Alistrianna 2011-02-26 22:01:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've notice Light Spirit buffing much faster at 450 skill, but usually when I try to heal it just sits there because recast is down due to just buffing someone so it never actually heals anyone.

Post deleted by User.
 Alexander.Alistrianna
By Alexander.Alistrianna 2011-02-26 22:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, Light Spirit has the ability to ignore its spell recast timer to cast emergency cures if you are in the red, but that's the only exception, iirc. It's still far from reliable on curing even in those situations though.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2011-02-26 23:45:28
Link | Quote | Reply

LightSpirit casts Banish IV weird enough @Lv90 , yet it doesn't seem to have access to Cure VI or I never saw it cast

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Wolfjorg
Server: Ramuh
user: wolfjorgg
By Ramuh.Wolfjorg 2011-03-26 18:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Think I will test out some light spirit tomorrow, this has kinda got my intrest