Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Paladin DD set up
Paladin DD set up
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 12:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Timarli Jawshan > any other bodies and haste+1 items.
That being said, it certainly depends on what you're focusing on and what you're lacking, obviously.
But generally, if you have acc covered (which should be the case if you use RR atma, 1-2 acc items and CDC e.g.) you try to cap gear haste like any other job, no!?
The way I see it, acc doesnt really do much for PLD during TP, where this also always depends on the stuff you are fighting and also the food/meds/gear you are using and have access to.

Most of the bodies available to PLD are mainly only WS pieces/macro pieces or straight MDT/PDT but no very good melee pieces. If anything, af3 body and twilight mail are filling the gap for slots where you can't get as much acc as you'd need to, along with some att, of course.

Nonetheless, all the suggested bodies are fine if have nothing better available, yet, they won't do much but looking pretty, most of them. :D
[+]
By Serj 2011-03-18 12:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Is Joytoy still a viable option? wouldn't a proper Shamshir +2 (or a honorbound) be better?
edit: let's not forget atma of the apoc either.
edit over 9000: what about justice sword + virtue stones? it's not like pld has actual dding ammo anyways.
inb4 tiphia sting

If you sub dnc or nin for dual wield, sure. I'm not sure how different /war vs /nin is damage wise, but ochain is enough to keep a pld standing from any melee hits they'd get while keeping the benefits from /war vs the 0 benefits from /nin and /dnc offensively, aside from dual wield.

Joyeuse would be better than honorbound or shamshir because of the increased tp gain. Justice sword would be better if you take the time to use stones.

I think, anyway.
By Serj 2011-03-18 12:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Grandthief said:

When you cap haste without it, why would you use it over anything else?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 12:28:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Is Joytoy still a viable option? wouldn't a proper Shamshir +2 (or a honorbound) be better?
edit: let's not forget atma of the apoc either.
edit over 9000: what about justice sword + virtue stones? it's not like pld has actual dding ammo anyways.
inb4 tiphia sting

I think, Joyeuse is still the best weapon for spamming WS like vorpal or sanguine blade. Other than that, you pretty much only have two other options, those being Almace/fake emp. or Magnus Sword+stones.
Everything else should be by far less beneficial for your DPS and WS-dmg.
I would like to hear some voices from math geeks regarding joytoy vs. honorbound though, seeing if double base dmg would actually help with keeping up with joytoy's higher frequency (/doubt).
The only other aspect maybe making honorbound a weapon of choise would be the enlight+ but I also dont think that this would be better than anything I have suggested.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 12:30:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:

How would you cap gear haste without ring/neck? Fill me in!
And no, 24,5% is not capped. :o

EDIT: Been taking goading for granted, like rajas and brutal (if needed), so yea, can cap haste without body spot and then a different body certainly would be a way better choise.
By Raborn 2011-03-18 12:44:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
/sigh, PLD isn't THE BEST DD, but it CAN DD.

Many recommendations I've heard (and am currently working on) is skilling up Staff (Full Swing @ 300TP [5.00 dmg; 50% STR modifier]), leveling /SAM and /NIN. Also, if you're able to get Joyeuse and Dual Wield that with Company Sword or--even better--Justice Sword, that helps a lot.

STR build gear is nice; PLDs can equip Haubergeon, or even Sipahi Jawshan set. The usual DD build gear goes for the rest of the slots: O.Hat, Chiv. Chain, Brutal/Assault/(maybe)Fowling Earrings, Pallas's Bracelets (or Alkyoneus's Bracelets if you can afford) STR rings/Acc rings, Amemet Mantle +1 (Cerb. Mantle = DO WANT!), Potent Belt.

For TP build, I was considering Byrnie (a lot of people lol at it, though = / ), Tarasque Mitts, Wivre/Valkyrie's Mask, along with the rest of the gear mentioned above.

GL Bravefencer, hope this helped. I'd recommend going to the FFXIclopedia.org Paladin forums, they've got a lot of knowledgegable Paladins there who respond in a timely manner^^ /salute

Staff build seems like PLD's best bet at this point assuming you can stack good gear on PLD to use :

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Cataclysm
At level 90 a monk was capable of "Cata" burning monsters not resistant to darkness; using Magic Attack Atmas, Magic attack bonus equipment; using earth staff, and other pdt gears on par with a war's "Cleave" burning deal. It was how he farmed his chloris pops and had all of the stuff he needed within at least 3 weeks(I think? maybe a month) So Assuming PLD is able to obtain the same mab(modifier) gears a MNK is (and having a higher staff skill level, etc ((which probably influences damage by a small %)) I would assume PLD's can also "Cata" burn monsters for mass amounts of exp and farm pops while perhaps taking less dmg than the other two jobs?

If anyone has more information on this lets let it rip.

The guy who did this mostly hangs out around Blue Gatyr (Or however its spelled) If you can be assed to browse the massive amounts of crap on their forums you may find a forum on Cataclysm there.
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-03-18 12:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What I use for DD atm:

TP:

Main: Honorbound
Sub: Khanda(2-3hit, only +1 atm, I'd use 2-4. While I don't usually advocate 2-4hit weapons, with Enlight on PLD this will probably be best if you aren't woried about feeding the mob TP)
Ammo: Tiphia Sting
Head: Walahra Turban
Neck: Chivalrous Chain (Fortitude Torque would be better)
Ears1/2: Suppanomimi/Brutal Earring
Body: Twilight Mail/Ares Body depending on if Acc is needed
Hands: Dusk Gloves (Af3+2 would be better)
Rings: Ulthalaams/Rajas
Back: Aethling Mantle
Waist: Goading Belt
Legs: Creed+2
Feet: Creed+1

WS(Vorpal Blade):

Ammo: Tiphia Sting
Head: Varagian Helm
Neck: Chivalrous Chain
Ear1/2: Brutal/Suppa or Aesir Ear Pendant (Can't remember)
Body: Twilight Mail
Hands: Hecatomb
Rings: Don't change, should change ulthalaam's with STR probably
Back: Aethling Mantle
Waist: Warwolf Belt
Legs: Ares's Legs
Feet: Perle

I'm sure there are several improvements to be made but a lot of these aren't hard to attain/are cheap. Since PLD isn't generally the most useful job in any given situation I don't see the point of changing my setup much.

Some Improvements I can think of off the top of my head are those mentioned above and also:

Head: Zelus Tiara (8% Haste) WS: Twilight Helm?
Waist: If you can get a 6% belt you could cap haste with Zelus Tiara, Belt, Creed+2 hands/legs/feet.
FeetWS: Hecatomb?

Weapon: Almace/Empyrean-1 for a better WS (which would then change some of your WS pieces to DEX pieces to modify CDC)
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 12:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Raborn said:

Staff build seems like PLD's best bet at this point assuming you can stack good gear on PLD to use :

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Cataclysm
At level 90 a monk was capable of "Cata" burning monsters not resistant to darkness; using Magic Attack Atmas, Magic attack bonus equipment; using earth staff, and other pdt gears on par with a war's "Cleave" burning deal. It was how he farmed his chloris pops and had all of the stuff he needed within at least 3 weeks(I think? maybe a month) So Assuming PLD is able to obtain the same mab(modifier) gears a MNK is (and having a higher staff skill level, etc ((which probably influences damage by a small %)) I would assume PLD's can also "Cata" burn monsters for mass amounts of exp and farm pops while perhaps taking less dmg than the other two jobs?

If anyone has more information on this lets let it rip.

PLD is certainly as good as MNK for cata burns, even more so even since it has more defensive capabilities than MNK does. MNK really only has high HP and similar amount of access to PDT but no self-cures, JA and high def.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 12:57:58
Link | Quote | Reply

@Systematicchaos
XD yea, you got the right ideas about how to improve and what to use, no need to talk about that much.
I couldn't be arsed to make the perfect setups myself since the stuff doesn't get use much anyway. Tweak here and there as you get new items or when you're bored enough to change macros and good is. =P
By Serj 2011-03-18 13:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cata won't have anything on a vorpal blade / CDC setup. Cata is *only* used for AoE burning.

Serj said:

EDIT: Been taking goading for granted, like rajas and brutal (if needed), so yea, can cap haste without body spot and then a different body certainly would be a way better choise.

Look at the posts on the last page. It isn't hard.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 13:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:

Without being rude but what am I supposed to find there that is different to what I've been saying?
Goading in every set, check.
Haste ring in almost every set, check.
No capped haste in every set on that page, check.

So..? I really don't wanna fight about this, since everyone has his/her own opinion about things and ppl like setups that just look more pretty or offer more stats that seem awesome but might be actually useless, that's fine with me.
I'm just going with the POV that you should try to cap haste if you got acc covered and that clearly isn't the case in any of the setups you are refering to.
By Serj 2011-03-18 13:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:

Without being rude but what am I supposed to find there that is different to what I've been saying?
Goading in every set, check.
Haste ring in almost every set, check.
No capped haste in every set on that page, check.

So..? I really don't wanna fight about this, since everyone has his/her own opinion about things and ppl like setups that just look more pretty or offer more stats that seem awesome but might be actually useless, that's fine with me.
I'm just going with the POV that you should try to cap haste if you got acc covered and that clearly isn't the case in any of the setups you are refering to.

Did you read what was said? I have the updated set right here, for your viewing pleasure.

And most of the sets have 26% haste, brah. Learn to count.

Also in that set I posted, there's... ~35 acc.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 13:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:

And most of the sets have 26% haste, brah. Learn to count.

Also in that set I posted, there's... ~35 acc.

Firstly, don't call me "brah", whatever that means in your ghetto, son.
Secondly, don't approach me in that cocky way of yours when nothing you have to say actually has anything beneficial for the conversation at hand.
Thirdly, it doesn't show a haste +6 belt in any of those setups, even when checking them after your latest post, so yea, edit-fail, I guess.
Also, I did say that that if you cap haste otherwise(which includes the waist spot, fyi) without the body then all listed bodies like twilight, grim's, af3 and are's are better choises.

Maybe you should try to read more acurate, bro!
'Tis not eez,I no, but ya gotta feel me too, dogg, ya kno.
 Asura.Dajociont
Server: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-03-18 13:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

acting like you don't know those common collaquialisms makes you look like more of a moron than you're trying to make the other duder look like, way to look like a tool

derp double post
[+]
By Serj 2011-03-18 13:59:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Firstly, don't call me "brah", whatever that means in your ghetto, son.

Mother ***, you're stupid.

Quote:
Secondly, don't approach me in that cocky way of yours when nothing you have to say actually has anything beneficial for the conversation at hand.

Really now? Something about capping haste without a ring and neck. Something about it was said over and over on the last page.

Quote:
Thirdly, it doesn't show a haste +6 belt in any of those setups, even when checking them after your latest post, so yea, edit-fail, I guess.

You didn't *** READ any post, you stupid mother ***.

Quote:
Also, I did say that that if you cap haste otherwise(which includes the waist spot, fyi) without the body then all listed bodies like twilight, grim's, af3 and are's are better choises.

Which you went on to say no one's set did that without using the ring and neck. Which was said on the previous page.

Quote:
Maybe you should try to read more acurate, bro!
'Tis not eez,I no, but ya gotta feel me too, dogg, ya kno.

[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-03-18 14:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Serj said:

White tathlum would be better, I'd also venture a different ring if PLD can use the stp one (both assuming -1hit).
Timarli sucks, unless you need it to cap haste, and even then if you're not capping hit rate, an accuracy body would trump it.

Edit: Blitz ring then Goading, assuming -1hit ofc
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 14:06:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dajociont said:
acting like you don't know those common collaquialisms makes you look like more of a moron than you're trying to make the other duder look like, way to look like a tool

derp double post

So not knowing about the colloquial conventions in a language that isn't my mother language let's me look like a fool? xD
So tell me then what "Ick jeh ma kurz um de ecke" means, oh wise one. Hopefully you won't look like a tool trying to translate this. =)

On a side note, you should have noticed my reference to that "brah" a few lines below, with my "bro".
Try again.
By Serj 2011-03-18 14:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Serj said:

White tathlum would be better, I'd also venture a different ring if PLD can use the stp one (both assuming -1hit).
Timarli sucks, unless you need it to cap haste, and even then if you're not capping hit rate, an accuracy body would trump it.

Edit: Blitz ring then Goading, assuming -1hit ofc

Rajas/brutal takes it to 6.36tp / hit = 15.72 attacks to 100. Add in white/hoard takes it to 6.72 tp / hit = 14.88 attacks to 100, just enough. Was too lazy to math it out before =S
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-03-18 14:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

zelus + 3/5 af3+2 + goading + blitz = uncapped haste
zelus tiara = 8
creed gauntlets +2 = 4
creed cuisses +2 = 4
creed sabatons +2 = 4
goading belt = 5
blitz ring = 1

you do the math.

also, for the lulz...
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 14:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, seriously, if you have nothing better to say Serj, you should consider skilling up your IQ as soon as the servers are up again. I'm afraid that this skill is lacking a lot for you.

Sorry but I only tried to help out with actual arguments and if you don't have any just go chat with your brahs and brihs and bruhs about it, maybe they will understand with a nice cup of crack and a handsome cancer stick made of horse hair.
 Asura.Dajociont
Server: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2011-03-18 14:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dajociont said:

derp double post

So not knowing about the colloquial conventions in a language that isn't my mother language let's me look like a fool? xD
So tell me then what "Ick jeh ma kurz um de ecke" means, oh wise one. Hopefully you won't look like a tool trying to translate this. =)

On a side note, you should have noticed my reference to that "brah" a few lines below, with my "bro".
Try again.

yes, it does actually, especially since you're so fluent in this language. people i play with that have incredibly shitty english even know the common collaquialisms. and now you look even more stupid trying to make me look unintelligent for not knowing german or whatever the ***. sorry, brahskers, try again at making yourself not look like a tool.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-03-18 14:14:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Goading/tath drops a hit w/ Almace. I'm just saying "if" since I'm using weapon as a variable.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-03-18 14:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we all can agree Goading belt is far more accessible (and easier to get) than Velocious Belt, or the wasteofgilspeedbelt.
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 14:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:

i think im witty

>_> The hell is this about..?
This is what i said.

Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-18 14:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
I think we all can agree Goading belt is far more accessible (and easier to get) than Velocious Belt, or the wasteofgilspeedbelt.

Also, vbelt is kinda useless now, just a glory-piece! :p
Only use my poor vbelt gets these days is a few buffs on RDM >_>

Edit:

Phoenix.Fredjan said:

i think im witty

>_> The hell is this about..?
This is what i said.

But, WHY do you feel the need to cap haste without ring slot?
STP on belt -> second ring slot, as the ring have -str/dex.
All-over better stat-gain with using blitz ring and goarding belt.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-03-18 14:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

my question is: why would you want to use timarli + strigoi when you can do grim/blitz, af3+2/blitz, or ares/blitz?
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-03-18 14:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Fredjan said:
my question is: why would you want to use timarli + strigoi when you can do grim/blitz, af3+2/blitz, or ares/blitz?

Only reason I can see is it's free. If you're DDing on PLD you probably aren't putting much gil into it unless you have the gear from another job.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2011-03-18 14:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, seriously, if you have nothing better to say Serj, you should consider skilling up your IQ as soon as the servers are up again. I'm afraid that this skill is lacking a lot for you.

Sorry but I only tried to help out with actual arguments and if you don't have any just go chat with your brahs and brihs and bruhs about it, maybe they will understand with a nice cup of crack and a handsome cancer stick made of horse hair.

Why don't you take a nice bath and go clean all that sand out of your vagina? I know it's hard, and you seem to be on your period too in addition, so maybe you should just call the WHAAAAAAAAAAAAmbulance if you can't do it alone.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Grandthief
By Carbuncle.Grandthief 2011-03-18 14:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dajociont said:

yes, it does actually, especially since you're so fluent in this language. people i play with that have incredibly shitty english even know the common collaquialisms. and now you look even more stupid trying to make me look unintelligent for not knowing german or whatever the ***. sorry, brahskers, try again at making yourself not look like a tool.

Lmao! Yes, I'm honestly apologize for not knowing ghetto-slang as well as the commonly used language. I truely feel like a fool running around here too when I don't understand ppl that haven't even finished 7th grade.

I seriously don't understand what you are getting at anyway, trolling is my guess, since it's neither logical not intelligent what you are stating here and it doesn't help the matter at hand, so... Making me look like a fool (or trying to, anyway) is a nice attempt to boost your posting numbers, however, I give you that.

If I wasn't of any help, I do apologize to the OP though, never wanted to start a fight.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10