-Magic Damage
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-17 10:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok,so I'm looking for an ideal -magic damage set that does not use the shield/sword slot. I'm trying to make a gearset that I can macro in within a split second to take aegis-level magic damage from most mobs. The people that I know who do this generally have Dring and Vahalla gear which I do not. Anyone have any sets the use for this currently that are reasonably cheap/easy to obtain?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-17 10:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&jobs[]=128&description=Magic%20Damage%20Taken%20-#adv

Think this might be what you're looking for, could make a set out of those pieces.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-17 10:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Something like this I think D:
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-17 10:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Something like this I think D:

Aegis?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-17 10:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

He doesn't have Aegis lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-17 11:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Uten Aegis, sopp:P
 Gilgamesh.Yukichibi
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Yukichibi
By Gilgamesh.Yukichibi 2010-08-17 11:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Iron Ram lance
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-17 11:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't want to swap the shield/sword weapon slot.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2010-08-17 11:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to optimize your magical defense, you do. Losing TP isn't always a big deal- just depends on what you're doing.
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-17 11:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said:
If you want to optimize your magical defense, you do. Losing TP isn't always a big deal- just depends on what you're doing.

Yea not really. If I'm tanking an HNM I want to be able to macro a set in in response to hurricane wing, lava spit, Goh, Fulmination, dreadstorm etc. The set would only be swapped in for a split second so using the lance would be dumb.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-17 11:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Siren.Kyte said:

Yea not really. If I'm tanking an HNM I want to be able to macro a set in in response to hurricane wing, lava spit, Goh, Fulmination, dreadstorm etc. The set would only be swapped in for a split second so using the lance would be dumb.

would you be using onevent to do that? lol it'd be a lot of gear to carry around solely for that and if you didnt have lightning reflexes it wouldnt get on half the time
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-17 11:44:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Siren.Kyte said:

would you be using onevent to do that? lol it'd be a lot of gear to carry around solely for that and if you didnt have lightning reflexes it wouldnt get on half the time

Would be the same as when you'r stunning a move on BLM\DRK\RDM.
The gearswaps happen instantly, faster than a stun goes off.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-17 11:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I use.

Swap back with Lamia Mantle +1 outside conquest areas. There might be better stuff since the last patch though. Haven't really looked at updating it recently.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-17 11:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
This is what I use.

Swap back with Lamia Mantle +1 outside conquest areas. There might be better stuff since the last patch though. Haven't really looked at updating it recently.

With 5\5 shell5 that Resentment cape is useless btw.

27% MDT from shell, 29% from gear.

56% total, caps at 50
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-17 11:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

its a good idea, let us know how successful you are lol

I doubt you could react fast enough for like hurricane wing though, + gotta put shadows back up asap after/during a move like that
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-17 11:52:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Lakshmi.Hypnotizd said:
This is what I use.

With 5\5 shell5 that Resentment cape is useless btw.

27% MDT from shell, 29% from gear.

56% total, caps at 50
You are probably right. I never really tried to optimize it. I just looked for everything that gave -mdt or -damage taken and then filled the rest with mdb. I basically only used this set for JoL tanking. But it does come in handy for a quick swap in campaign to eat magic damage.

Then again, I don't always have access to 5/5 ShellV. I'm not in any form of endgame anymore ;)
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-17 11:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
its a good idea, let us know how successful you are lol I doubt you could react fast enough for like hurricane wing though, + gotta put shadows back up asap after/during a move like that

There are a few plds on our server who do it all the time, but like i said they had dring and Vahalla to macro in which is much more simple.
 Phoenix.Airbag
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-08-17 12:00:28
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah :| just seems like theres a lot going on while im taking stuff and I'd not hit the macro in time
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-08-22 14:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a bit of a question in the same "field".

Okay so which is better Magic Damage Taken-%, Magic Defense Bonus+, or (Element) Resist+ gear? OR is it situational?

For example, let's say I am fighting a mob whose attacks are all magic based (wind, fire, earth, or w/e) would it be more beneficial to have a full (Element) Resist+ set or would Magic Defense Bonus+ gear be better? Or would Magic Damage Taken- gear be better?
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-22 14:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

It's situational.

Resist provides the greatest potential as you can make it so you get 1/4 or 1/8 resist regularly. However if you don't have enough it becomes very unreliable and so often you will be still getting hit for alot.

-MDT is generally better than MDB from a math perspective however it caps at 50% combine from shell and gear. But in a similar way to haste gets better the more you get until you cap.

MDB is last usually. It helps but it's effects are diminishing since in the dmg equation it is part of the MAB/MDB factor. So 100 MDB would only reduce dmg by 50%.

Oh and though rarely geared for int or mnd depending on the magic dmg (usually int) will also help a little too
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-08-22 14:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:

Okay so which is better Magic Damage Taken-%, Magic Defense Bonus+, or (Element) Resist+ gear? OR is it situational?

For example, let's say I am fighting a mob whose attacks are all magic based (wind, fire, earth, or w/e) would it be more beneficial to have a full (Element) Resist+ set or would Magic Defense Bonus+ gear be better? Or would Magic Damage Taken- gear be better?

From what I understand, the Resist+ gear would be better if you have a WHM & BRD that can take you to 300+ (or at least that was what I understood at 75, that might have changed and may change more next month). My PLD is still only 44 atm and I haven't fought anything that "requires" a resist set yet, so I can't give anything other than what I've heard/read.

I'm sure a career PLD will come along with a better answer~
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-22 15:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Hades.Triet said:

From what I understand, the Resist+ gear would be better if you have a WHM & BRD that can take you to 300+ (or at least that was what I understood at 75, that might have changed and may change more next month). My PLD is still only 44 atm and I haven't fought anything that "requires" a resist set yet, so I can't give anything other than what I've heard/read.

I'm sure a career PLD will come along with a better answer~
Depends on the target mob. Some need more, some need less, and given that many mobs use multiple elements carrying around sets for all of them isn't practical. Cap MDT, add MDB once capped, use resist/meva if you know you can floor spell land rate and it only uses one element.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-22 15:05:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Ok,so I'm looking for an ideal -magic damage set that does not use the shield/sword slot. I'm trying to make a gearset that I can macro in within a split second to take aegis-level magic damage from most mobs. The people that I know who do this generally have Dring and Vahalla gear which I do not. Anyone have any sets the use for this currently that are reasonably cheap/easy to obtain?

What I use if I have no shell on. Can ignore Aegis and I don't know if there's newer better MDT items available.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-22 15:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:

If you have a really good fire resist set + barfire and carol on like tiamat, it would be your best bet.
But for a general -magic dmg set you want to cap Magic damage taken -50% (-Damage taken(Like Dring) and shell goes towards this cap)
Then stack MDB as much as you can.
So with 5/5 Shellra V from a WHM you need like 23-24% of magic dmg taken - from gear etc.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-22 15:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Mind you fighting old mobs resist sets are getting easier to acheive. Since players have a base resist all equivalent to C rank I think. So like supposedly KSNM 99 wyrm now you can almost get enough resist from just being lvl 80 with a whm/sch and brd.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2010-08-22 15:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
It's situational.

Resist provides the greatest potential as you can make it so you get 1/4 or 1/8 resist regularly. However if you don't have enough it becomes very unreliable and so often you will be still getting hit for alot.

-MDT is generally better than MDB from a math perspective however it caps at 50% combine from shell and gear. But in a similar way to haste gets better the more you get until you cap.

MDB is last usually. It helps but it's effects are diminishing since in the dmg equation it is part of the MAB/MDB factor. So 100 MDB would only reduce dmg by 50%.

Oh and though rarely geared for int or mnd depending on the magic dmg (usually int) will also help a little too
So there is no real limit to how much Earth Resist+ gear I wear, whereas with MDB/MDT gear it either requires a butt-load to notice any effect or caps out @ x%.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-22 15:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:
So there is no real limit to how much Earth Resist+ gear I wear, whereas with MDB/MDT gear it either requires a butt-load to notice any effect or caps out @ x%.
Sorta. Though you could say there are limits based on what you can get in gear. Or you could say there is a limit in the minimum amount you need to be useful on resist. But yeah MDT caps pretty easy if you got shellra V even more so if you get a aegis lol. It's great but yeah. And MDB has diminishing returns. It's still good to gear for. Especially if the mob does non elmental or multiple elements or you can't get enough resist
 Phoenix.Avelle
user: nuvas
By Phoenix.Avelle 2010-08-22 16:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Siren.Kyte said:

Gates of Hades, Fulmination, and Dreadstorm all have a fairly long ready time. Swapping in MDB/MDT gear is extremely easy for those abilities. Swapping it in for something like Thunderstrike is another story.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2010-08-22 16:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I get your point, though I don't think the limits could be based off what you wear. Always have FoV augments. I got a +20 Earth Resist on one of my Igqira Weskits.

Continuing on, let's take Cuelebre (who I've been looking up). He stays in the air the entire fight. All his attacks are Magic(Earth-based), not like Stone(ga)...just a melee attack, and that's all he does...until he 2hrs (Mighty Strikes) then he spams Ocher Blast, which again, is Magic(Earth-based).

How would I go about gearing for this?

Would this be decent or should I just focus on earth resist?
First Page 2