Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Bite rate for skilling 96-100 fishing
Bite rate for skilling 96-100 fishing
By chichi 2010-08-14 23:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

can also spam marlins for charts for the mercurial kris..I actually liked doing that one even tho it never dropped it was kinda really quick to do
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 23:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I used to do marlins... but soloing it is tricky at least for me and duo partners are iffy and Mkris price has been fluxuating.

Oh yeah and 0/70 on the fights and I've had it take 150+ fish twice in a row to get it.

Though selling them on the ah can be good money if people are doing the fight
By chichi 2010-08-14 23:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

mercurial kris for drk is still nice ... for those that can't afford a kclub :D
By chichi 2010-08-14 23:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I never attempted to solo I always brought 3 smns
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-14 23:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said solo is tricky (I've failed all but 1 but came really close on a few)... duo is pretty easy but I kept getting HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE duo partners. Like I gave specific instructions and they disobeyed them and did stupid stuff.

Like took forever to use abilities... or best one was 1 mob left at 2% hundred fisting us, our avatars full and instead of hitting assualt he pops 2 ethers and because of that cant assault or resmn... though i can dual box now so might try again
By chichi 2010-08-14 23:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I had that same thing happen many times...you get the smns and they like fall asleep at the time there supposed to astral flow..and you keep spamming them to do it and they just don't :(
By chichi 2010-08-14 23:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

davsa did you ever try to fish up those tiny *** fish in mamook at that really dangerouse spot..I am trying to think what there called maybe betas?..anyways..I don't know why s/e made that fish like so hard to get to just to fish the damn thing up
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-08-15 01:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

i think it took me 3 8-hour nights to go from 96-100 catching armored pisces in oldton
 Sylph.Ashaaman
Server: Sylph
user: Ashaaman
By Sylph.Ashaaman 2010-08-15 01:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
i think it took me 3 8-hour nights to go from 96-100 catching armored pisces in oldton

That's lucky... I've spent 6-7 hour rounds in there and gotten lucky w/ a .1
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-15 01:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ashaaman said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
That's lucky... I've spent 6-7 hour rounds in there and gotten lucky w/ a .1
Doesn't sound that lucky. Except when I used the skillup ring I got 1.5-2 lvls everday if I fished to fatigue from 30-100.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-15 01:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

chichi said:
davsa did you ever try to fish up those tiny *** fish in mamook at that really dangerouse spot..I am trying to think what there called maybe betas?..anyways..I don't know why s/e made that fish like so hard to get to just to fish the damn thing up
Naw never even heard of them. But looking them up they don't look like doing for money
 Sylph.Kyarutaru
Server: Sylph
user: Kyarutaru
By Sylph.Kyarutaru 2010-08-15 01:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh bite rate of Pterygotus was balls when I tried. I just did Cave Cherax in QSC to 100 (well, alternated between Cherax and Liks/Gugs. Cherax when I wasn't feeling as adventurous). Easy peasy and can gut em for Dwarf Pugils.
 Carbuncle.Nibu
Server: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2010-08-17 15:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted in the other Ebisu topic, but for those thinking Matsya are going to make you really rich, really quick, I'd suggest doing something else. Compared to just NPCing Cave Cherax for full value, gutting those cherax and fishing/NPCing matsya only gets you a little bit more gil/hour, if any.

Here is my haul from when I fished with 125 ex bait.

Assuming 18 Cherax an hour, and getting 21 Matsya, I made 940,000 gil after 30.5 hours (time fishing up 500 cherax, and fishing up matsya, and doesn't include ALL THAT TIME turning in cherax). That's 31k per hour.

I would have made 800,000 if I just turned in all Cherax to a normal NPC for 1600 each. To fish up 500 cherax at 18 an hour, this would have taken 27.7 hours, which comes out to 29k an hour.

Again, this 2k difference is probably even closer to being equal once you consider the amount of time turning in 500 cherax to Zaldon takes. Also, I fished up more than 500 cherax in order to get 125 bait, so luck also factors into your prosperity.

And if my cherax/hour number is off by a little, it shouldn't matter since it's a constant in both calculations. The difference between NPCing all cherax, and spending the time to turn them into Matsya, is still minimal, if there is a difference at all when you consider all time factors (crappy fishing days, Zaldon gutting CS, etc.).

In sum, unless you want bragging rights for the largest fish on your server, don't bother with Matsya at the moment. There are plenty other, significantly more profitable fish.

E: Theoretically, of course, you might be able to up your profits if you get a bunch of people to hold fished up mobs in Vunkerl. Since mobs account for the most loss of bait while fishing Matsya, if you can have people hold them while you fish, you'd be saving yourself a lot of bait. But be aware that the mobs do gain in strength over time, so your partners would need to zone them every once in a while to reset their strength.

That's a lot of work, though, and I don't think it to be worthwhile.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-17 15:57:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I did it for a few weeks and I averaged about 16 hours to get my full 220 fish for the day.

It would take maybe an hour to turn all those in which would net me 176k by itself as opposed to 352k npcing them and taking only a little less time.

So npcing them would be about 20k an hour if I went to full fatigue since things really slow down and bad moon phases average it out to lower.

Now my turn in rate on cherax averaged about 1/3. So get around 72ish bait.

Over time I averaged 1 Matsya actually reeled in per stack of bait used (that was after I learned to pull in items to keep bait and monsters to keep them out). And I it would average 2 fish per hour. So figure 6 matsya over the course of 3 hours from that. So that would be 154,128.

So in the end I basically spent 3 hours to almost make up the difference in price from npcing vs fishing.

Which of course is why I stopped. However if I could get a higher rate of bait used to fish caught it would be nice. I figure higher skill would help since 2/3 Matsya broke the line. Or the fact that out of the 12 or so it would take to reel one in only 3 would be matsya and about 2-3 would Jellyfish and the rest would be monsters. So with half my bait going to monsters if I could get someone to keep them asleep... though my average did go up once I started sneak fishing with + sneak gear and composure. Gogo 14 min sneaks lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [186 days between previous and next post]
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2011-02-19 09:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

For me the bite rate for cherax was much worse than pterygotus. And also for pterygotus I preferred using sinking minnow than lugs. Tried lugs and bite rate seemed worse. Money wasn't bad, just run them over and npc ptery for almost 800g each. They are very easy to catch and 90+ I never got a line snap with Lu.