users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Odin » Warning: Possibly the next RMT scam
Warning: Possibly the next RMT scam
 Odin.Evilchris
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Evilchris 2009-01-14 20:46:16
Link | Quote | Reply

So a week or two ago, I was waiting for an airship and another player named BENORA sends me a tell. The complete stranger was asking me for 2k so they could buy some cookies, their English seemed to be quite poor too. I told them to go farm. 5 minutes later Evilbob had the same message from the person. They are a lvl 55 WHM with gimped gear. This is on Odin server of course, Bob told them that it is rude to ask for gil. So today I get a tell from Croc saying someone just asked him for gil. I asked who, and he replied BENORA. I said that is the one who asked me and Bob before, he said they are (still) a WHM55 with gimped gear. He /blisted them and told them to go farm. Just them Bob also spotted them, and they stopped when they saw Bob then carried on (maybe realising the scam didn't work).

Just this second I thought they must be an RMT trying a new scam, and then Croc messages me saying they are probably an RMT. And I am glad I am not the only person that thinks so. I mean 2 or so weeks later, still 55, still asking for gil. Be warned this person is more than likely an RMT scammer!

This person is either an RMT, or just a very stupid, lazy player.

I have also heard other reports of this player asking people for gil.

As muuch as I hate these "x person did this" topics, I thought that members of Odin server should be notified of this person. I did also have a look at their AH history, and their jueno AH history shows nothing sold (as far as the 2 months show) and only a few select pieces of gear purchased. Nothing HQ or expensive.

So don't give the *** any gil!
 Pandemonium.Crezelda
Server: Pandemonium
user: Crezelda
By Pandemonium.Crezelda 2009-01-14 20:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

we had a guy like this Called Timmmm( i forget how many m's)yyy
who bummed gil off everyone then started boasting about how much gil he had.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-01-14 21:07:49
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

*starts getting ideas*
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-14 23:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Gil is easy to make.

Make a Mithra / Female Hume character.

Level it up a bit... about to level 21ish.

Rank up a little, to around 3.

Find some guy who asks if you're a girl.

Say yes and play along. Cyber with them, have your sister or female friend talk to them on the phone etc.

Most "girls" in game are guys that do this and are very successful.

When you're done, hop servers, start the story over again but just tell your new sugar daddy that your ex was abusive and you were forced to hop servers to get away from him.

On the other note: of course if you can scoop out a friend that works on the XI backend who can dig out information for you under user's accounts, it's a perfect tool for owning these virtual transvestites :).

A little more on topic... it's been happening on all our servers from what I've seen in the past few months.

Oh don't forget if you go with plan A, post a pic on ffxiplayers of some airhead, works very well.
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-01-14 23:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Princemercury, all I can say is eeewwwwww! I actually am a girl, my husband and I play this game together, and a lot of times when people ask me if I'm a girl I lie and say I am male just to stop the harassment before it starts, and here you are encouraging the harassment! Yuck. If you need gil, go farm or level up a craft, don't go around making all the other girls in the game wish all the guys that played had a *real* girlfriend.
 Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Princemercury 2009-01-15 00:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha yes it's sad but very true, and the problem isn't just in this MMO. I've scared the hell out of 7 people on this server already with their own RL info and making surprise phone calls, they usually just hang up, but one has told me "I'm her brother" =\.

From what I've seen (according to PoL information) about two out of three "girls" playing are really guys. I don't mean the males who play female characters and say they're male, I mean 2/3 "females" are really males. I should list all the ones on this server but that's probably another thread. Would prove quite entertaining too.
 Odin.Evilchris
By Odin.Evilchris 2009-01-15 19:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Princemercury said:

From what I've seen (according to PoL information) about two out of three "girls" playing are really guys. I don't mean the males who play female characters and say they're male, I mean 2/3 "females" are really males. I should list all the ones on this server but that's probably another thread. Would prove quite entertaining too.

True, I know of one on this server that is actually a gay guy playing as a mithra that seduces other male players to "cyber". I would feel sorry for it's victims but It is their own fault for being a bunch of sad f**ks. But when I think about what was mentioned above about the money making scam, It is believable that this person does that, as they have an abundance of gil, since they can afford to spend millions per week, and yet their sales history shows that when they actually do sell items, they are worth up to 30k a piece and they sell them for 1k a piece. Although they do screw their LS out of dynamis currency claiming it to be to cover entry cost, when numerous times they have made several million in a night, don't farm, do BCNMs, always doing expensive actives, always thought they were a gil buyer which they probably are, but they more than likely use the sugar-daddy method mentioned above too.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Gaea
user:
By Odin.Gaea 2009-03-09 19:25:20

Princemercury said:
Gil is easy to make.

Make a Mithra / Female Hume character.

Level it up a bit... about to level 21ish.

Rank up a little, to around 3.

Find some guy who asks if you're a girl.

Say yes and play along. Cyber with them, have your sister or female friend talk to them on the phone etc.

Most "girls" in game are guys that do this and are very successful.

When you're done, hop servers, start the story over again but just tell your new sugar daddy that your ex was abusive and you were forced to hop servers to get away from him.

On the other note: of course if you can scoop out a friend that works on the XI backend who can dig out information for you under user's accounts, it's a perfect tool for owning these virtual transvestites :).

A little more on topic... it's been happening on all our servers from what I've seen in the past few months.

Oh don't forget if you go with plan A, post a pic on ffxiplayers of some airhead, works very well.

Nice, LOL. Let me point out that if you really are female and your character is a Tarutaru female, this doesn't seem to work. Nobody wants to cyber with taru :(
 Seraph.Zabini
Server: Seraph
user: zabini
By Seraph.Zabini 2009-03-09 19:46:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes i had a similar noob person ask me for gil, he asked for 20k though i said no. Then he followd me all around jeuno asking for 10k 5k then a little later my friend got the same tells, from the noob who had poor gil and stuff, and spoke broken english. Ive even seen them shouting in jeuno for gil but i cant remember his bloody name ><
 Seraph.Kyaaadaa
Server: Seraph
user: Kyaaadaa
By Seraph.Kyaaadaa 2009-03-09 19:55:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who asks for gil need pebbles in the DB for months to come
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2009-03-09 20:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Crezelda said:
we had a guy like this Called Timmmm( i forget how many m's)yyy
who bummed gil off everyone then started boasting about how much gil he had.

Omg, Timmmmmmmmmmmyyy, that guy is a total piece of ***.

Edit: Also, his dad is Blackchef, FYI if you're on Pandy. I got kicked out of a pt with him in it because i was talking ***about TIMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYY without knowing they're related....
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-03-09 20:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gaea said:
Let me point out that if you really are female and your character is a Tarutaru female, this doesn't seem to work. Nobody wants to cyber with taru :(

LOL!
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-09 22:24:57

This is an old tactic, RMT used to do this to me years ago. They would follow me, and constantly beg me in tells for gil or tell me to give them drops from a NM they saw me kill or whatever. Black Lists works wonders, and when I called a GM they were magically "gone" ^^

And as for the scamming gullible guys as a male... Eww.. I think the culprit is equally pathetic as the victim in these cases.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [52 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Zugot
user: Zugot
By Odin.Zugot 2009-05-01 00:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Liela said:
Princemercury, all I can say is eeewwwwww! I actually am a girl, my husband and I play this game together, and a lot of times when people ask me if I'm a girl I lie and say I am male just to stop the harassment before it starts, and here you are encouraging the harassment! Yuck. If you need gil, go farm or level up a craft, don't go around making all the other girls in the game wish all the guys that played had a *real* girlfriend.

Today in Einherjar I humped Liela like 8 times and danced all over =o !
 Odin.Zugot
user: Zugot
By Odin.Zugot 2009-05-01 00:53:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Princemercury said:
Haha yes it's sad but very true, and the problem isn't just in this MMO. I've scared the hell out of 7 people on this server already with their own RL info and making surprise phone calls, they usually just hang up, but one has told me "I'm her brother" =\.

So basically you've tried to have phone sex with most of the population on that server?
 Odin.Rues
user: Rues
By Odin.Rues 2009-05-01 00:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So Zugot, you want death now or later?
[+]
 Asura.Cataclysm
Server: Asura
By Asura.Cataclysm 2009-05-01 01:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Had a lvl1 rank 1 subless whm that asked me for gil for a few days straight.I finally got fed up and b-listed, found out a few days later it was my RL friends lil brother. Not all annoying *** are RMT but all RMT are annoying ***.
 Pandemonium.Kitteneater
By Pandemonium.Kitteneater 2009-05-01 01:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cataclysm said:
Had a lvl1 rank 1 subless whm that asked me for gil for a few days straight.I finally got fed up and b-listed, found out a few days later it was my RL friends lil brother. Not all annoying *** are RMT but all RMT are annoying ***.

Haha classic FF