Are you rolling blind? ;D
First Page 2
 Sylph.Maruraba
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Maruraba
By Sylph.Maruraba 2010-07-11 19:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Why not just put it in /echo? Just seems like more info than you'd ever really need, other than the lucky/unlucky numbers most of the time.
By Raldo 2010-07-11 23:31:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the idea, but why do you need to know the specific details of what # gives exactly how much bonus? I have Evoker's Roll #s committed to memory, but other than that does the knowing any of that information assist you at all? I just echo my lucky/unlucky numbers.

I don't mean to hate though, I appreciate the effort and it's good to have all that information in one central place. Thanks!
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 00:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Mkay... icwhatudidthar but I have all the rolls memorized from playing the job as my primary since the ToAU release lol. It's also pretty damn simple even as a casual COR to understand the rules since they all follow similar patterns. The higher the roll the better, the only exceptions are lucky/unlucky (and that shouldn't be too complicated to remember either lol).

As far as the "it's nice to know" factor, I usually announce it when it comes to SAM roll; simpler than expecting each DD hit by it to scroll up and decipher your macro if they're not a COR and then get killed by something while trying to respect their TP set.

This definitely seems like a good tool for beginners to learn the finer points of each roll though; I had similar echo's in my first macros all those years ago, but I only counted included the lucky number and 7-11 for each roll.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-07-12 00:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Scrumpet
Server: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 00:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I need this .__.; I always have wiki on another window and when I think "Ohshi- should I roll again or stay on this number. . ." I alt-tab! D:
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 00:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
As far as the "it's nice to know" factor

If you go through the job with a statistical approach, it may be statistically at your advantage to stay with a certain number than risk, for example, a +1% increase.

It's a good idea, but as you stated, it's just something that's nice to know and you get accustomed to it whist playing the job.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 01:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

#1: I'm very mathematically inclined and run numbers and make lists in my sleep [greek letters and obscure decimals haunt my dreams] and COR rolls are very very simple...

SAM roll for example...

01- 8
03- 10
04- 12
05- 14
07- 16
08- 20
09- 22
10- 24

06- 4
02- 32
11- 40

*SAM/Tricorne bonus of 10

Starting at 1 and working your way up to 10 excluding lucky/unlucky you see a very simple pattern with only one deviating variable.

I've actually graphed rolls for fun while bored in calc class. Anyway, even without a calc approach you can see that excluding critical numbers it's a very basic progression increasing by 2 each time and the only part that deviates is the jump from 7 to 8. Beyond that I have the Lucky/Jackpot for each roll memorized and I have the same party bonus for each roll memorized (+10 on SAM roll).

I do in fact have each roll memorized because I memorize the patterns and have a mental picture of the graph for this roll engraved into my memory archives of useless triva right next to the complete pokedex for the original 151 pokemon. The only ones I might mix up are the unlucky results because they're typically skewed outliers and there's no reason to keep or shoot for a unlucky anyway so in my graph I have them as "undefined".

#2 The ONLY roll where doubling up may be superfluous is SAM roll but you never know what everyone else in the party needs. Granted, I'll stay at 7 or so because it's more than enough to give me a 4-hit even without the bonus and should be enough for the rest of the DD; I confirm this before deciding 7 will suffice, it typically does.

#3 My main criticism is that this macro is extremely tedious and excessive and I don't personally see the use for something so easy to remember... I find it easy to remember anyway; like I said I have a mathematically inclined mind and CAN'T stop thinking about patterns...

#4 ... sudoku is ruining my life; send help.

... Is that Dr. Who I hear? GATTA GO!
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 01:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
#1: I'm very mathematically inclined and run numbers and make lists in my sleep [greek letters and obscure decimals haunt my dreams] and COR rolls are very very simple...

Holy ***! I finally found you Daniel Tammet!!

Oh wait, you aren't from the UK. . .
I believe this suits that quote better. . .

[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-07-12 01:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the idea of having the numbers quickly available because I like to look them up but I can hardly read it quickly here enough to make sense of it- nevermind in game with everything else going on.

All rolls follow the same basic pattern- lucky best, under lucky is bad, over lucky is better until 11 which is better than lucky.. so I don't see why I need to know the specific numbers.

Example: Say if I roll a 3 on Chaos. Obviously double-up. Not 4 after double up? Must be 5-9. Just by playing COR I know the higher you get after the lucky the better except for the unlucky. So knowing that 7 is 16% and 9 is 17% etc really doesn't matter at all.

No one has ever asked me what my roll was actually giving. I've looked it up just for fun and told them if I get lucky 11 with job in pt or w/e- but otherwise I don't think peeps are too interested.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 01:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jurai said:
so I don't see why I need to know the specific numbers.

This

Pandemonium.Scrumpet said:
If you go through the job with a statistical approach, it may be statistically at your advantage to stay with a certain number than risk, for example, a +1% increase.
[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-07-12 01:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
9 on Hunter's Roll with the bonus breaks the pattern of 15, and is actually 16 higher than without the bonus-since I know you're going to double-check on wiki and pretend you knew.

Not saying that 1 accuracy is making a world of difference - but claiming you have every value for every roll memorized is a bit ridiculous.
And that matters why? It doesn't.

For Hunter's, 9 is better than 5,6,7 and worse than 10, 11 (4 being lucky and 8 being unlucky) so w/e pattern is breaks doesn't matter.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 01:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jurai said:

For Hunter's, 9 is better than 5,6,7 and worse than 10, 11 (4 being lucky and 8 being unlucky) so w/e pattern is breaks doesn't matter.

It is all statistical. Risking a bust and then "FUUUUUUUUU"ing is why it matters.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 01:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
I do in fact have each roll

Okay then.

Without looking, how much accuracy is a 9 on Hunter's roll with the bonus?

You really should lose the "I'm better than you" attitude. Idk if you realize it, but you don't seem to know how to talk to talk to someone on an "equal" level.

Mkay... one of three things happen now...

A: I say 27 without looking
B: I say 27 but I cheated
C: I say something other than 27

If I answer correctly I'm on my honor, just the same as I was when I asserted I had the useful rolls memorized. You already doubt me... so you're testing my honor... which you already doubt?

So... this could only logically be a trap to see if I'm not only so stupid that I would lie and claim to know more about the job I label as my primary but that I would answer without looking and get the incorrect answer...

So... you only trust my honor if I guess incorrectly? So... you only believe me if I'm wrong?

Well, I'd hate to NOT have your respect and be thought of as a liar... so...

Hunter's Roll on a result of 9 without the bonus is potato!
[+]
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-07-12 01:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Ifrit.Jurai said:

You should read the edit. That wasn't aimed at you. I was addressing his ridiculous claim that he knows the value for every single roll from memory.

Yea, I doubt he does but if he does or not it doesn't matter was my point.

Anyway- getting a little in over my head on this topic so gonna leave it at that. Thing about COR is everyone rolls their own way- some take chance and some don't. Knowing the patterns or specific numbers do not matter at all as long as you know how the rolls work.
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 01:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Lol. Twist the argument. The point is you do not now the exact value for every roll by memory, as you claim.

And no, it's not 27.

I took the data for my graphs from wiki; if you find fault with their data please provide your own thorough testings and correct this epic faux pas that every other COR in the world has made.

:P

Also: It's not twisting the argument, it's valid semantics. You asked me a question that served no purpose.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 01:27:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:

So... you only trust my honor if I guess incorrectly? So... you only believe me if I'm wrong?

This is the internet, anything you say with claims such as that is usually aimed to show your "e-peen". Honestly, no one on the internet cares if you claim yourself to have "Savant Syndrome". There are no factual tests behind it which,by the laws of nature, discredits it.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 01:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Scrumpet said:
Diabolos.Gira said:

This is the internet, anything you say with claims such as that is usually aimed to show your "e-peen". Honestly, no one on the internet cares if you claim yourself to have "Savant Syndrome". There are no factual tests behind it which,by the laws of nature, discredits it.

I need a syndrome to memorize something simple? Damn I guess I must have hallucinated all those years in drama club... Can you help me carve this monologue from 'A Winter's Tale' out of my brain? A good chunk of it is still in there and I could use the space.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2010-07-12 01:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Gira said:
I took the data for my graphs from wiki
Diabolos.Gira said:
I'm very mathematically inclined and run numbers and make lists in my sleep [greek letters and obscure decimals haunt my dreams] and COR rolls are very very simple...
Diabolos.Gira said:
I need a syndrome to memorize something simple?

Yea, savant syndrome entails seeing "Greek letters and obscure decimals" that haunt you in your dreams.

Sounds like someone learned how to use a computer. . .

/thread
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-07-12 01:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Diabolos.Gira said:
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Lol. Twist the argument. The point is you do not now the exact value for every roll by memory, as you claim.

And no, it's not 27.

I took the data for my graphs from wiki; if you find fault with their data please provide your own thorough testings and correct this epic faux pas that every other COR in the world has made.

:P

Also: It's not twisting the argument, it's valid semantics. You asked me a question that served no purpose.

I said with the bonus. 27 is without. Following the pattern, with the bonus it would be 42 ( 15). Guess what? It's 43.

l2argue.

My answer specifically said "without" at the bottom; obviously I misread your request. And you clearly misread my answer. Way to count your chocobo before they hatch :P!

(If you were wondering, answering a different question doesn't make you wrong, it means I DIDN'T ANSWER your question :P)

To answer your question, with the bonus the answer is potato + 15.
[+]
First Page 2