users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Fealty
Fealty
 Leviathan.Willoflame
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-05-20 17:31:24
Link | Quote | Reply

>>Greatly reduces damage taken from Mijin Gakure, Meteor and Alexander's two hour ability Divine Judgment. Assumed to work with other avatar style Astral Flow skills. Damage reduction is 93.75% (15/16). <<

So, you tell me. Why would Mijin Gakure (magical, non-elemental damage), Divine Judgment (Light-based AoE), and Meteor (Black Magic, I suppose, since Shanttoto casts it in ASA14) be all but negated by a JA that increases one's resistance to enfeebling magic? As far as I know, none of those three abilities/spells (Mijin, Meteor, Divine Judgment) has an enfeebling component... unless you count 5 minutes of weakness after you get KO'd by them.
[+]
 Fenrir.Luarania
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-05-20 17:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Honest to god I'm curious too, I have never seen block magicial based damage, but then again I usually pop rampart if i notice a bad spell coming my way.
 Asura.Zatoichina
Server: Asura
By Asura.Zatoichina 2010-05-20 18:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Meteor is non elemental damage as far as i know, Fealty does greatly reduce the damage taken from it though yes.

As to why, i have no idea :/
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-05-21 10:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

We have no idea why. We simply know that it does. And I have used it to avoid gakure several times in Dynamis.
 Bismarck.Aryden
Server: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-05-21 16:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Same. The assumption is that SE realized that PLDs had no innate way or method of NOT getting dropped by MG/AF etc and thus fealty was born. It isnt helpful to have your Rdms alive due to SS + MDB bonuses and not have the hate controllers alive. Rampart is awesome, but doesnt always negate enough damage to keep you alive. It is however hilariious to see AF go off in dynamis and you end up being the only person standing...
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-05-21 18:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Since AF should almost never go off (beyond flukes) I tend to simply reserve it for NIN's since gakure is almost guaranteed to go off at least once a run no matter what you do. Since it usually doesn't go off until the damage is in the 900 range my fealty merely serves as a reduction in the amount of healing that needs to be thrown around afterwards. It also keeps hate planted on me for the next few moments while the mob if finished off.

One day I'll finish meriting fealty to lower the recast but it will probably be the last thing I do. Merely having it unlocked allows it to serve it's purpose.
 Leviathan.Willoflame
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-05-21 19:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I merited it (second character) because of the reason of the Alexander's 2hr thing, it ended up in a failed attempt, but was godlike to see it in action. The fact that it negates almost all damage from the moves listed above is amazing to say the least.

Sucks that there's no explanation though, I was very curious to see if anyone had known why it counted those moves as enfeebles.
 Cerberus.Billgoku
Server: Cerberus
user: Billgoku
By Cerberus.Billgoku 2010-05-22 14:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've yet to use it in these situations myself so haven't seen it in action.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-22 14:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes you resist any enfeebling spell/effect and any non elemental magic damage/effect. If I had to guess, they just didn't add that last part in the description.

That or non-elemental spells don't fit in any of the magic categories so it just blocks them. I don't know.
 Diabolos.Torazalinto
By Diabolos.Torazalinto 2010-05-22 19:40:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Astral flow (depending on the mob used ) is elemental so that wouldn't explain it either.