Forum » FFXI » General » TVR Ring choice
TVR Ring choice
 Asura.Bronzequadav
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bronzequadav 2024-03-04 20:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't want to think about it just grab the WSD ring, it may not always be the best but chances are more often than not (depending on DD) it's the second best option and its never not doing something.

If you regularly do endgame events with a full well geared party (aka have buffs) then the PDL ring is probably ideal as situations you aren't benefiting from PDL are probably things where max dps doesn't matter.
[+]
By Jordymus 2024-03-05 01:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I'm going to switch out my choice this coming Sunday to see what works out best for me, Also my 2nd closest DD would be SAM if that adds extra input
By SimonSes 2024-03-05 01:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When attack is uncapped Ephramad is still 10STR/30att/30ratt ring. Not to mention 10DEX/10AGI/27acc/27racc (it's the highest accuracy ring in the game afaik).

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
Once you add in Crooked, Light Shot, and Fury/Frailty, WSD = 126834. I ran this up to the highest mob available (Archaic Cogs @ ilvl 147, numbers did not change.)

Something is wrong if attack is adding so much damage still. My bet would be on PDL bring broken or that universal song+9 maybe, but maybe also something else. I would need to download that and check all the calculation in the background.

EDIT:

Ok, so the main difference is ofc /DRG instead of /SAM. Gyudon +1 and R30 instead of R25 on Nyame. /DRG will for sure boost your WS damage, but DPS will be almost the same and you lose the ability to switch to 2h weapon and use Hasso, so your 2h DPS will drop by a lot. I'm not sure I would go this way, unless you are sure you will use Savage exclusively.

Another factor is that in the sim Aria is adding 24%PDL under those settings.

So yeah, with 22% Aria (24% is impossible without buffs), /DRG and during Warcry with capped attack and assuming you dont need accuracy from food, then you could be at ~96k avg with Cornelia ring.

How you got that 120k is unknown for me, unless you forgot to write, that you added Mighty Strikes or Soul Voice.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-05 10:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Jordymus said: »
Yeah, I'm going to switch out my choice this coming Sunday to see what works out best for me, Also my 2nd closest DD would be SAM if that adds extra input

You'll see good results from more PDL on both WAR and SAM WITH BUFFs. Defense down on tougher mobs will generally go a long way to increasing your damage cap.
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-05 12:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
How you got that 120k is unknown for me, unless you forgot to write, that you added Mighty Strikes or Soul Voice.

Funnily enough, adding MS didn't even impact the WS damage at the higher values. I agree with what you said about gimping your potential 2H dmg with /DRG, but if I know I'm exclusively using savage, /DRG is just too powerful not to use. I'm not full R30 on all Nyame, but I do have the v25 clear, so laziness is the only thing stopping me from R30. I think it's a fair use case if we're talking about the ability to hit capped savages outside MS windows.

First, I wanted to see the minimum buffs required to hit capped/near capped savage blades. Warcry + Moonshade + Boii legs = effective 2000+ TP, no COR, no SV, no MS, no Bolster, Cornelia's ring because we're not attack capped yet vs ilvl 147 mob = (99713 WSD):

Simply adding Soul Voice puts us at attack cap, still no COR, no MS, no Bolster (122309 WSD):

I'll save us all the ss, but swapping out Cornelia's for Ephramad's at this point bumps us up to 125018 WSD.

Now let's turn on everything, Mighty Strikes, Corsair toggled with XI rolls, Job Bonus, Crooked, Light Shot, GEO Bolstered, w/Ephramad's:

As we can see, WSD didn't change whatsoever, even with MS. The only way I could push it further was by putting TP at 3000 and swapping out Moonshade for Lugra +1 and Epa's for Sroda, pushing WSD to 130259, a difference of 5k.

Realizing this is all paper math, it seems entirely possible for a fully buffed WAR to hit capped savages during Warcry with normal songs (aria) and normal geo bubbles, even without a COR, at least on ilvl 147 "trash mobs".

What I don't know, is if Kastra's tool takes into consideration all the superfluous buffs that are feeding Naegling's attack boost during ws, things like barspells x2, protect, regen, refresh, signet, aquaveil, reraise, etc. If not, we may be hitting attack cap during WS even sooner than the sim accounts for.

I'll see if I can get one of the BRDs in my shell with Aria to test.
 Phoenix.Gavroches
Server: Phoenix
user: gavroches
By Phoenix.Gavroches 2024-03-05 12:53:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I understanding correctly, are you saying, based on the calculator, than Cornelia should be the ring anyway as you pretty much cap damage and any extra damage (PDL setup) get floor to the 99.999 anyway? So no point of going further?
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-05 13:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
Am I understanding correctly, are you saying, based on the calculator, than Cornelia should be the ring anyway as you pretty much cap damage and any extra damage (PDL setup) get floor to the 99.999 anyway? So no point of going further?

According to the calculator, you can hit nearly capped Savages with the toggles chosen in the first ss, on that mob specifically, with Naegling and /DRG. With that said, under these very specific conditions, yes, you'd be better off taking Cornelia's overall I think.

I can't say this translates to every other job/weapon skill though, so consider that variable.
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-05 13:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

When attack is uncapped Ephramad is still 10STR/30att/30ratt ring. Not to mention 10DEX/10AGI/27acc/27racc (it's the highest accuracy ring in the game afaik).

This is a good point, and I'd dovetail that this is probably the best ring for Arma AM3 white damage builds.
 Shiva.Myamoto
Server: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-03-05 13:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If I had to guess, likely better numbers under mighty strikes with boii feet and yetshila. If you wanted to push that theoretical number further. Those two should be standard swaps under mighty strikes. Also ceiling for pdif increases for critical hits, assuming this applies to ws's forced crits, could in theory not be attack capped. Trash mobs for sure though with all those buffs lol.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-03-05 13:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Mighty Strikes is not functional on the current version of the tool you are using.

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/57175/all-jobs-damage-simulator-and-gear-sets/13/#3695673

I mentioned that and he has fixed, but hasn't pushed new .exe for it.

Edit: I'll also point out that you're nerfing GEO potency to 25%.
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-05 14:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Myamoto said: »
If I had to guess, likely better numbers under mighty strikes with boii feet and yetshila. If you wanted to push that theoretical number further. Those two should be standard swaps under mighty strikes. Also ceiling for pdif increases for critical hits, assuming this applies to ws's forced crits, could in theory not be attack capped. Trash mobs for sure though with all those buffs lol.

To your point, my war lua does have swaps for MS and Blood Rage to Yetshila +1/Boii +3 feet.

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Mighty Strikes is not functional on the current version of the tool you are using.

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
I'll also point out that you're nerfing GEO potency to 25%.

So Mighty Strikes not working could be the reason the damage goes down swapping in Yetshila and Boii feet. Also, upped the potency to 100, no difference in damage from 25, likely already hitting pdif so further potency wouldn't matter.

By SimonSes 2024-03-05 15:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

/DRG is just too powerful not to use.

For WS damage sure, but if you go into hardcore min maxing like that, /Sam with soul voice and or mighty strikes will be hitting 99k too, so /DRG will be wasted in that scenario. On top of that 20 sTP and meditate will let you WS every 2 rounds instead of 3, which is a massive DPS gain for at least 2 WS rounds.
By SimonSes 2024-03-05 15:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not how it works. Crit hits will add +1.0 pDIF to your final pDIF. They don't work like PDL, which only increase the limit, that you need to fill with attack. Also that 1.0 bonus is not affected by PDL, so the higher your pDIF is, the less relative % increase you will see from crits (not like that will matter with 99k damage cap)
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2024-03-05 16:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

/DRG is just too powerful not to use.

For WS damage sure, but if you go into hardcore min maxing like that, /Sam with soul voice and or mighty strikes will be hitting 99k too, so /DRG will be wasted in that scenario. On top of that 20 sTP and meditate will let you WS every 2 rounds instead of 3, which is a massive DPS gain for at least 2 WS rounds.

Honestly this is down to playstyles. For content like sheol C, if you have a team that lets a war pull 2-4 mobs and doesn't steal them, retaliation mitigates a lot of the benefit of /sam.

/drg kinda forces war to look at Loxotic as the defacto second WS option, which also is perfectly viable in C.

It's definitely perfectly viable to do /drg or /sam, neither is the wrong answer.

Edit: In terms of anectdotal evidence, the wars that I see doing the most damage over the course of a sheol c are /drg. By a significant margin. I'll reiterate, this is anectdotal. Could just be down to where they are in their FFXI experience.
By SimonSes 2024-03-05 16:22:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh in segments it's for sure viable to be /DRG with pretty much 0 consequences. I was thinking more about something like Sortie, when bosses are what you care the most and you will use Soul Voice Aria or mighty strikes on them (sometimes both I guess).
 Shiva.Myamoto
Server: Shiva
user: Myamoto
By Shiva.Myamoto 2024-03-05 16:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not how it works. Crit hits will add +1.0 pDIF to your final pDIF. They don't work like PDL, which only increase the limit, that you need to fill with attack. Also that 1.0 bonus is not affected by PDL, so the higher your pDIF is, the less relative % increase you will see from crits (not like that will matter with 99k damage cap)

ahh so for simplicity sake, crit pdif will always be linear to whatever your actual pdif is? as in +1 to whatever value of pdif that is established whether its 1.5, 2.5 or 3 etc? Just want to make sure I understand that correctly.

Edit: This makes sense when I actually think about it now lol, what I said doesn't haha... what I said would imply that crits would potentially deal the same damage as your regular attacks if you werent attack capped which is not the case whatsoever haha my bad
By SimonSes 2024-03-05 16:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ahh so for simplicity sake, crit pdif will always be linear to whatever your actual pdif is? as in +1 to whatever value of pdif that is established whether its 1.5, 2.5 or 3 etc? Just want to make sure I understand that correctly.

Edit: This makes sense when I actually think about it now lol, what I said doesn't haha... what I said would imply that crits would potentially deal the same damage as your regular attacks if you werent attack capped which is not the case whatsoever haha my bad

Yeah and even historically crits were valued the most in low attack scenario, because they had by far the biggest impact then.

Also this is only true for melee crits. Ranged attacks crits are simply +25% pdif bonus, so they lose the ability to increase your damage dramatically in very low pdif scenario, but they gain the ability to be way more relevant even with capped attack with SV Aria and all the PDL we got recently.
 Valefor.Aspens
Server: Valefor
user: Aspens
By Valefor.Aspens 2024-03-05 18:11:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't forget PDL doesn't work if you're AT attack cap, it only boosts damage if you're OVERcapped

In some hypothetical sims against locus mobs you can get more min/max gains swapping in str etude, indi-str, or miser's roll than super-over capping all the attack buffs