Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » TVR Ring choice
TVR Ring choice
First Page 2
By Jordymus 2024-03-04 05:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everyone I recently finished TVR and chose the Cornelia's Ring for more WSD. But then I had a discussion about the Lehko's Ring. My thoughts for both would be "hey more wsd+ = more burst damage via WS of course" then my other thoughts on lehko's were "more STP for faster TP gaining for WS more frequently ,then of course the crit rate for a build im testing on war that maintains 100% DA but will also have 33% CRIT while gaining TP" thinking this would be the best bet. any thoughts / input?
By SimonSes 2024-03-04 05:18:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Jordymus said: »
Hello everyone I recently finished TVR and chose the Cornelia's Ring for more WSD. But then I had a discussion about the Lehko's Ring. My thoughts for both would be "hey more wsd+ = more burst damage via WS of course" then my other thoughts on lehko's were "more STP for faster TP gaining for WS more frequently ,then of course the crit rate for a build im testing on war that maintains 100% DA but will also have 33% CRIT while gaining TP" thinking this would be the best bet. any thoughts / input?

Depends on the jobs you use and buffs you usually play with.
I took Ephramad's for example.

You mentioned WAR, but what weapon you usually use and in what scenario? For example for Naegling WAR not running with Aria, Ephramad's is by far best choice. It can also be best choice for Ukonvasara. Kinda depends for Primes.
By Jordymus 2024-03-04 05:23:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah so for example my main DD is WAR and a set that mix matched on my own for TPing will keep me at the 100% DA so every attack round I double attack , I have STP+30(ish) Crit rate +33% as well as still some survivability. this is using Lehko's and my reasoning is because all my Nyame is R20-25 and with other WSD gear i think i have +72% WSD I have a Weapon set for everything war can use , but of course mainly Savage Blade spam . I do have a WSD+ ring the 5% one
 Asura.Toralin
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2024-03-04 06:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

If your usually rolling around with a bard/cor and/or geo consider the PDL from Ephramad's
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-03-04 07:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jordymus said: »
Yeah so for example my main DD is WAR and a set that mix matched on my own for TPing will keep me at the 100% DA so every attack round I double attack , I have STP+30(ish) Crit rate +33% as well as still some survivability. this is using Lehko's and my reasoning is because all my Nyame is R20-25 and with other WSD gear i think i have +72% WSD I have a Weapon set for everything war can use , but of course mainly Savage Blade spam . I do have a WSD+ ring the 5% one

With enough attack, Ephramad's is huge upgrade over WSD earrings. Sroda ring is also way better for Savage than any of the WSD rings.
By Atrox78 2024-03-04 07:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For warrior, you really can't go wrong with the 3 mentioned. The tp one is incredible and the only reason I don't have it is, because I like to be closer to 80 wsd on sets.

The pdl ring, for warrior, is a decent pick too I think since war does not get pdl on its jse neck or earring. If the job does, I'd consider that ring a waste. Also, as Aria becomes more wildly used, I think it will also become less viable for war and only really shine for jobs like blu and cor, who dont get good pdl gear and have much less atrack going for them.
By SimonSes 2024-03-04 07:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrox78 said: »
For warrior, you really can't go wrong with the 3 mentioned. The tp one is incredible and the only reason I don't have it is, because I like to be closer to 80 wsd on sets.

The pdl ring, for warrior, is a decent pick too I think since war does not get pdl on its jse neck or earring. If the job does, I'd consider that ring a waste. Also, as Aria becomes more wildly used, I think it will also become less viable for war and only really shine for jobs like blu and cor, who dont get good pdl gear and have much less atrack going for them.

Because of:
1. Sword low pdif cap
2. WAR relatively low pdl trait
3. WAR not having PDL in earring and neck like you mentioned
4. Naegling having attack bonus
5. Berserk being massive % attack buff

Ephramad will almost always be a bis ring by far for Savage build when you have at least cor+brd or brd+geo and you can apply dia II, unless target has some silly def like 3000 and you can't apply Armor Break and you don't have anyone with /dnc or dnc/

It's less obvious for other WAR weapons, but still mostly true for most of them. Even with Aria.
By Atrox78 2024-03-04 07:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »

Because of:
1. Sword low pdif cap
2. WAR relatively low pdl trait
3. WAR not having PDL in earring and neck like you mentioned
4. Naegling having attack bonus
5. Berserk being massive % attack buff

Ephramad will almost always be a bis ring by far for Savage build when you have at least cor+brd or brd+geo and you can apply dia II, unless target has some silly def like 3000 and you can't apply Armor Break and you don't have anyone with /dnc or dnc/

It's less obvious for other WAR weapons, but still mostly true for most of them. Even with Aria.

Under those situations, you are near or hitting att cap already, without the ring. In content you aren't hitting att cap, you are not going to even with the ring v25 oddy yada yada). Again, it's not a bad choice since war dosent get jse neck and ear pdl but you're not going to he gimped without it either.

I'd hope most warrior's try to minimize using that dumb *** sword whenever possible.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-04 08:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Under those situations, you are near or hitting att cap already, without the ring. In content you aren't hitting att cap, you are not going to even with the ring v25 oddy yada yada). Again, it's not a bad choice since war dosent get jse neck and ear pdl but you're not going to he gimped without it either.

I'd hope most warrior's try to minimize using that dumb *** sword whenever possible.

Not sure I follow the logic here...Simon pointed out a bunch of reasons why you would be attack capped (thus being able to take advantage of a PDL ring) and you said that you're at attack cap? That seems like you're in favor of Ephramad then, since you're attack capped. "You're not going to be gimped without it" is sort of a silly argument too...you're not going to be gimped without any ring. This is really just about picking the one that will help do the most damage.

Ditto the Naegling comment. WAR should be trying to maximize their damage, not grandstand about their personal grievances with a sword that gets too much use. There are plenty of cases where Naegling will do more damage than other weapons and you shouldn't intentionally not use it because it offends you. Also OP said he mostly savage spams.

To OP: I wouldn't focus on crit in your TP set, more STP will increase your DPS more by allowing you to WS faster. Especially while using Naegling, but honestly while using most weapons, white damage is < 20% of your overall damage, increasing that by 3% or w/e is not going to help you nearly as much as increasing the rate at which you fire off WS, increasing the TP you have when you WS, or increasing the WSD you do.

My vote for a guy who primarily plays WAR and primarily uses Naegling would be ephramad. Even for other WAR weapons, Ephramad is an extremely attractive option. Possibly for some cheesy Ukon setups you want Lehko, but I think overall in your total experience, it will reduce your effectiveness.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-04 08:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

For a lot of WAR WS (honestly almost all besides Upheaval and maybe something else that I'm forgetting) Ephramad is still a slightly better Regal Ring (20ACC independent of needing another Regal piece or relic armor) which WAR uses in a bunch of its WS sets so it isn't like it's useless even if you are under attack cap. For those VIT mod WS tho Regal still slaps it.
By SimonSes 2024-03-04 08:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Not sure I follow the logic here...Simon pointed out a bunch of reasons why you would be attack capped (thus being able to take advantage of a PDL ring) and you said that you're at attack cap? That seems like you're in favor of Ephramad then, since you're attack capped. "You're not going to be gimped without it" is sort of a silly argument too...you're not going to be gimped without any ring. This is really just about picking the one that will help do the most damage.

My guess would be, that he misunderstands how PDL works. I started to be suspicious even earlier after his previous comment
shine for jobs like blu and cor, who dont get good pdl gear and have much less atrack going for them.

Possibly for some cheesy Ukon setups you want Lehko, but I think overall in your total experience, it will reduce your effectiveness.

For cheesy Ukon setups you want Ephramad's too. 10STR and 10% PDL > 10DEX and 10% crit rate for white damage Ukon build, unless ofc you don't have enough attack.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-04 10:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The better question is do you plan on going hard on a 2nd DD and what is it? WAR is solidly good to begin with, whatever ring choice you choose will matter some but possibly not as much as it will for a 2nd job.

I will 100% echo PDL ring on WAR. You should pick that so long as you are intending to take it to terrible fights where you will want a bunch of buffs. WAR is very good there, it's a very popular use case.

Short answers are TP/Crit ring gets downsized by Sam roll and fights like Aminon that use tacticians. WSD will never be wrong for WSD, it just might not be best for physical WSs. PDL ring requires buffs to use to the max, but in situations that you didn't need buffs will you miss 10 WSD when you already have 70+ WSD? I don't.

Try things out and change your ring if trends change in the content you're doing. The only penalty for switching rings is waiting on a conquest tally.
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-04 10:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
The only penalty for switching rings is waiting on a conquest tally.

And updating potentially dozens of luas...
[+]
 Bahamut.Noscrying
Server: Bahamut
user: NoScrying
By Bahamut.Noscrying 2024-03-04 10:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »

CTRL+F -> Find in files -> GS Data folder -> Replace in Files
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-04 10:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Noscrying said: »

Depends which you're switching to/from. If you're switching from Ephramad to Lehko, this was a big mistake.
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-04 10:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends which you're switching to/from. If you're switching from Ephramad to Lehko, this was a big mistake.

I really like my Lehko's. If I did switch, it probably would be to Ephramad's though.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-03-04 10:58:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That's the price of progress, not a penalty. They do look similar, don't they?
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-04 11:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Great idea in theory, but if you're switching from TP ring to WS ring, those aren't going in the same sets, so you'd have to do this at least twice, to go from Lehko's to Chirich/Moonlight, then to figure out which ring in your WS sets your swapping out for Ephramad's.
[+]
By Atrox78 2024-03-04 13:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ditto the Naegling comment. WAR should be trying to maximize their damage, not grandstand about their personal grievances with a sword that gets too much use. There are plenty of cases where Naegling will do more damage than other weapons and you shouldn't intentionally not use it because it offends you. Also OP said he mostly savage spams.

To OP: I wouldn't focus on crit in your TP set, more STP will increase your DPS more by allowing you to WS faster. Especially while using Naegling, but honestly while using most weapons, white damage is < 20% of your overall damage, increasing that by 3% or w/e is not going to help you nearly as much as increasing the rate at which you fire off WS, increasing the TP you have when you WS, or increasing the WSD you do.

My vote for a guy who primarily plays WAR and primarily uses Naegling would be ephramad. Even for other WAR weapons, Ephramad is an extremely attractive option. Possibly for some cheesy Ukon setups you want Lehko, but I think overall in your total experience, it will reduce your effectiveness.

Poor choice of words and not enough coffee. I meant capped dmg i.e 99999
By Atrox78 2024-03-04 13:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

My guess would be, that he misunderstands how PDL works. I started to be suspicious even earlier after his previous comment
shine for jobs like blu and cor, who dont get good pdl gear and have much less atrack going for them.

Possibly for some cheesy Ukon setups you want Lehko, but I think overall in your total experience, it will reduce your effectiveness.

For cheesy Ukon setups you want Ephramad's too. 10STR and 10% PDL > 10DEX and 10% crit rate for white damage Ukon build, unless ofc you don't have enough attack.
Your guess is wrong.
By Taint 2024-03-04 13:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish Ephramad's ring had VIT on it. Would be a no brainer for me playing a lot of DRK and WAR.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-03-04 13:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In that case you are simply wrong

This set with capped attack, regular Aria (20%PDL) and ML50 and nearly 3000TP (2984)
Code
Naegling
Blurred Shield +1
Knobkierrie
Nyame WSD
Warrior's +2 Aug
Thrud
Moonshade AttTP
Nyame WSD
Boii +3
Sroda
Cornelia
Cichol's (STR/WSD)
Sailfi R15
Boii +3
Nyame WSD

will be avg 81226 damage (and 79040 with Epaminondas)
If you change ring to Ephramad's it will be 83625 damage

so the increase is pretty big and nowhere near 99999.
Even with SV Aria the avg with Ephramad's goes up to 96362.
Only Mighty strikes let you hit 99k Savage on regular basis with just Aria and without Ephramad.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-03-04 13:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of people who saw a 99k WS during their 1hr and therefore assumes their WS avg is 99k is too damn high.

Maybe I'm just a newb and play with nothing but shitty players but 99k is not a regular thing, especially when 1hrs are not involved.

People living in fantasy lands and judging their damage by eye/feel and telling people doing math that they're wrong about WS calculations and gearing.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-03-04 15:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lehko's is just so useful in so many situations with all sorts of jobs. It's kind of like Nyame Path B, not always the best but something that everyone can use.
[+]
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2024-03-04 16:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

In that case you are simply wrong

This set with capped attack, regular Aria (20%PDL) and ML50 and nearly 3000TP (2984)
Code
Naegling
Blurred Shield +1
Knobkierrie
Nyame WSD
Warrior's +2 Aug
Thrud
Moonshade AttTP
Nyame WSD
Boii +3
Sroda
Cornelia
Cichol's (STR/WSD)
Sailfi R15
Boii +3
Nyame WSD

will be avg 81226 damage (and 79040 with Epaminondas)
If you change ring to Ephramad's it will be 83625 damage

so the increase is pretty big and nowhere near 99999.
Even with SV Aria the avg with Ephramad's goes up to 96362.
Only Mighty strikes let you hit 99k Savage on regular basis with just Aria and without Ephramad.

*Note - I don't know the full parameters of the argument, but wanted to run the numbers myself, so feel free to update me if I missed something so I can rerun them*

main="Naegling",
sub="Blurred Shield +1",
ranged=Empty,
ammo="Knobkierrie",
head="Agoge Mask +3",
body="Nyame Mail",
hands="Boii Mufflers +3",
legs="Boii Cuisses +3",
feet="Nyame Sollerets",
neck="War. Beads +2",
waist="Sailfi Belt +1",
ear1="Lugra Earring +1",
ear2="Thrud Earring",
ring1="Ephramad's ring",
ring2="Sroda Ring",
back="Cichol's Mantle",

Admittedly, I don't know what mob you were running your numbers against, so I included the ss to show mine was vs ilvl 138.

Once you add in Crooked, Light Shot, and Fury/Frailty, WSD = 126834. I ran this up to the highest mob available (Archaic Cogs @ ilvl 147, numbers did not change.)

Main reason I even bothered looking into this, is because I'm MLing on Locus Ghost Crabs at the moment on THF/DRG and I'm spamming 65-70k savages with the occasional spike to 79k. If anyone with Aria wants to test, I'd be more than happy to see if capped dmg savages on a fully buffed WAR is possible, without Ephramad's or Cornelia's (Lehko's gang rise up).
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2024-03-04 18:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Lehko's is just so useful in so many situations with all sorts of jobs. It's kind of like Nyame Path B, not always the best but something that everyone can use.

That's probably the best way to explain Lehko's Ring. I play tanks, healers, and support so I picked Gurebu's Ring instead. If I played any DD seriously at all I probably would have taken Lehko's.
[+]
By Hopalong 2024-03-04 19:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I represent the player that is solo 99% of the time without real buffs.

I usually run with koru, sylvie, ulmia, joachim, and monbe. So hopefully Indi-Fury (37.5%), and maybe Valor Minuet V. Koru does DiaIII if Im fighting multiple enemies in succession and thier buffs are up, but if start of a chain takes halfway through.

As Sam, Masa, Empy+3 armor, great accessories, but no upgrades on nyame! I generally see 25-50k on ws and regularly get 99k on second/third skillchain. That's pretty low and I always suspect its a lack ot TP overage from a Cor Sam roll in party mainly and of course capped attack from a real bard and rdm.

I guess I'd like to ask what attack is PDL useful because from my understanding, if you don't cap attack its useless? Maybe y'all can show me a better question to ask this.

Anyways, Lehko's definitely makes sets easier, but I think real value is in a WS ring. A next question might be how Str 10, Dex 10, Attack 20 on Ephra's compares to WS Damage +10% on Cornelia's ring.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-04 19:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

While solo players with trusts exist, 100% of any conversation is always an every buff in the game scenario. They're never not talking about the mob having 1 defense and player having 10k attack.

Yes, PDL does nothing unless you are in that scenario, which they always assume they are (even when they aren't, actually)

The last one it's tough to compare, they're going to be close enough (for physical ws, with trusts) that you won't be able to tell them apart. Which one is the mythical 1 dps higher, not sure.
By Hopalong 2024-03-04 19:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess that means go for Ephadra ring yeah? Even if not always using the PDL if its close.
First Page 2