Seekers of Adoulin Choice Of Rings
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 15:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »
18% movement that isn't taking up an ilvl slot is invaluable. Compare the defensive stats of your job's movement speed gear slot plus a defensive ring (like dring or gelatinous) versus nyame/malignance/empyrean plus shneddick. Hard to beat.

Again, how often are you being killed in your move speed gear that you need 50 more defense in your move speed set? It is ludicrously easy to cap DT for any job in an idle set without even trying. The only benefit you get is... not deleveling your trusts, I guess, and some defense/INT/MDB... as though you're being bombarded by nukes and TP moves while kiting on RNG or something. Does anyone have some examples where this actually matters?

I get the inventory space/convenience argument (though I don't agree personally) but I really fail to understand the defensive stats argument.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-02-28 16:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »
Meeble said: »
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Jobs with 18%: THF,BST,RNG,COR,DNC,RUN,GEO,RDM,PLD,DRK,DRG,BLU,BRD,DNC
Jobs with 12%: WHM,NIN(during daytime),SAM,WAR,SMN,BLM,MNK,PUP

Having stable, consistent, 20% movement speed (18% ring, 2% cheer) on every job is more valuable to me than the potential inventory space savings.

Being able to build sets for any job around a single slot/swap that doesn't compromise ilvl or defenses is a huge convenience.
I was under the impression the cheer didn't stack as it counts as gear piece similar to how cor cant double on on movement speed with skadi and carmine

The cheer effect isn't gear based or buff based, it's a unique category and stacks with everything.
It's only 2%, and you don't need it to cap out with Bolter's Roll, but it's nice in every other situation.
By Hopalong 2024-02-28 16:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Great discussion! There's some tough ring even earring mission choices!

Crafting ring if that's your forte.

Pet ring if you run pet jobs.

I did Vocane Ring +1 awhile back and it was sweet on tanking. Then I did Karieyh for good ws damage without paying 100+mil. I settled on Shneddick ring, because yes, I'm a Shneddick. Really though, what changed between then and now is that the options for leg gear defensively got so much better that for example carmine cuisses +1 got outclassed in terms of overall set.

There's strong arguments already made in ffxiah in other posts for movement speed on a ring that convinced me about a year ago or more and I'm still satisfied with my final choice.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-02-28 16:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, how often are you being killed in your move speed gear that you need 50 more defense in your move speed set? It is ludicrously easy to cap DT for any job in an idle set without even trying. The only benefit you get is... not deleveling your trusts, I guess, and some defense/INT/MDB... as though you're being bombarded by nukes and TP moves while kiting on RNG or something. Does anyone have some examples where this actually matters?

Any job that doesn't have an ilvl speed option. You listed them yourself in an earlier post.

Shneddick vs. Carmine is a drastically different tradeoff than Shneddick vs. Gaiters(or Danzo). Raw stats aside, losing ilvl when you need to run away from something is setting yourself up to taste the floor.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 16:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Any job that doesn't have an ilvl speed option. You listed them yourself in an earlier post.

Shneddick vs. Carmine is a drastically different tradeoff than Shneddick vs. Gaiters(or Danzo). Raw stats aside, losing ilvl when you need to run away from something is setting yourself up to taste the floor.

I didn't say which job doesn't have ilvl move speed gear, I know that, I was asking for a situation where you're going to die because you're wearing 50% DT but are missing 100 defense in your foot slot. AFAIK ilvl isn't used in the damage calculations, so I fail to see how it's relevant other than the trust example. If you're wearing danzo, herald, or Hermes you are losing DEF, Eva (lol), mdb, and meva. What's the scenario where your MNK is killed because while walking around disengaged they were hit by a blizzard VI and they needed 5 more MDB to survive it? Is your BLM kiting and dying or being silenced because they're missing meva in their kiting set? Under what circumstances? How often does your WAR get into critical HP because they were hit by an auto attack by a mob they aggro'd while wearing hermes sandals?
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-02-28 16:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

so unless your lua is detecting that you quick cast and putting in potency gear (I'm not sure if they CAN do that, I don't use GS)

GS/LAC send the precast<action<midcast in the same client->server communication, so they can do potency gear with full consistancy even when quick cast procs, making the quick cast an extra benefit.

Movement speed is irreplacable for multiboxers, because playing one job with 18 alongside another with 12 is incredibly irritating otherwise. If you're single boxing, it's certainly less vital. But, there is still a considerable amount of content where you'll be unable to keep bolter's up, and time saved running between mobs and camps is still time saved and efficiency gained. I think the actual gains are considerable if you frequently play 12% jobs and use a swapping system so that it's always on when moving.

Not a lot of kited fights any more, but it's a considerable gain in survivability over carmine and any ring if you were to be kiting something on RUN or PLD.
[+]
 Asura.Murdokk
Server: Asura
user: Murdock
By Asura.Murdokk 2024-02-28 16:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Having stable, consistent, 20% movement speed (18% ring, 2% cheer) on every job is more valuable to me than the potential inventory space savings.

Being able to build sets for any job around a single slot/swap that doesn't compromise ilvl or defenses is a huge convenience.
I was under the impression the cheer didn't stack as it counts as gear piece similar to how cor cant double on on movement speed with skadi and carmine

Per BG Wiki "This movement bonus stacks with equipment movement speed."
By SimonSes 2024-02-28 17:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Movement speed is not for kiting those days, but to simply run around faster in events like Sortie or Odyssey segments farming. I think in last few years I kited one thing, which was Arebati's pig during KI1 on DNC, but you can use jig for that. Every other kiting I recall wouldn't require any movement speed. Kiting E or F in Sortie doesn't usually require any movement for example, because E just stops all the time to attack from distance and F is gravited and also stops to do auto attacks. Not sure which one is done with kiting method Gigelorum or Henwen? or both? Whichever it was, it involves full potency Gravity, so it will barely move.

I guess gathering mobs for supertanking or to cleave could use movement speed.

Anyway this wasn't an argument against Shneddick. I have that ring on all chars, but what convinced me wasn't movement speed while kiting, but just movement speed in timed events.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2024-02-28 17:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a added note: If you are not using anchor, Vocane ring is something to keep an eye on as it one of the 3 pieces used to fully resist knockback effects. The amount of these 3 pieces you need to wear is determined by how strong the knockback is.
 Fenrir.Positron
Server: Fenrir
user: Positron
By Fenrir.Positron 2024-02-28 17:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Murdokk said: »

Per BG Wiki "This movement bonus stacks with equipment movement speed."

We have also extensively tested and explained Movement Speed in detail, including having a closed form equation for how it all interacts: https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Movement_Speed#Enhancement_Bonuses
By Meeble 2024-02-28 19:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the scenario where your MNK is killed because while walking around disengaged they were hit by a blizzard VI and they needed 5 more MDB to survive it?

That's an oddly specific example. I'd be more concerned about eating magical AoE when changing targets, or mage jobs that don't stay engaged fulltime or at all.

For magic damage, the relevant difference between Nyame feet and Gaiters is 150 MEVA, 25 INT, 26 MND, and 5 MDB. If you're high ML and doing older content like Ambuscade or Omen, there may be situations where power creep has made that amount of stats feel insignificant, but that doesn't make it universally true. Especially for the kind of player picking their first Adoulin ring in 2024.
[+]
By Felgarr 2024-02-28 19:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're staying at NQ, I guess you could use Shneddik Ring and that's totally fine.

If you play jobs that get movement speed elsewhere, consider making Weatherspoon +1 when the time comes to upgrade the ring, if you go that far.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-28 19:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

With rings like this, it seems odd to me they don't add some way to get more than one. For instance add an RoE objective, where if you have a capped out Mlev job you can get another ring and repeat it for every capped job.

Rings aren't even that OP.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-02-28 19:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
With rings like this, it seems odd to me they don't add some way to get more than one. For instance add an RoE objective, where if you have a capped out Mlev job you can get another ring and repeat it for every capped job.

Rings aren't even that OP.

Maybe a quest that resets Adoulin mission progress without touching your existing ring(s), like how the AF reset quests used to work.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2024-02-28 20:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If you own an toreutic escutcheon, then there's no choice: Orvail ring.
If you main a BST or PUP, consider Thurandaut ring.
Else Shneddick ring.

It is far too easy to cap enmity- on WHM and the extra cure potency is unnecessary. Also, without 18% mvmt. speed, you'll fall behind the other members of your group in Odyssey farms or Sortie on WHM.
Fast Cast? seriously easy to cap on jobs who cast a lot.
Light Dmg+10%? Are you not hitting cap damage regardless?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 21:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, RDM, SCH, PLD, WHM, BLU, and any job that subs any of those also have cures. At what point is extra cure potency "unnecessary"? 50% cure potency? 40%? 60%?

Meanwhile, this guy's over here popping nothing but 99k Trueflight, Primal Rend, Seraph Blade at 1k TP on every target in the game, regardless of buffs, like a boss.
[+]
By Hopalong 2024-02-28 21:57:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thief solo omen is a good example of using movement speed ring. Also I suppose Blu Odyssey Cruel Joke farm, at least that's what I'm planning on using. Paladin pulling for sure unless you guys want to pick that apart.

I can't imagine going back to Sam idle set using Danzo Sune-ate at no defense 12% speed.
By Seun 2024-02-28 22:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cure potency is devalued by how much better other gear has become at mitigating damage. It can still be the best choice for the situation, but that situation occurs less and less since it was released.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2024-02-29 12:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, RDM, SCH, PLD, WHM, BLU, and any job that subs any of those also have cures. At what point is extra cure potency "unnecessary"? 50% cure potency? 40%? 60%?

Meanwhile, this guy's over here popping nothing but 99k Trueflight, Primal Rend, Seraph Blade at 1k TP on every target in the game, regardless of buffs, like a boss.
Sorry, I don't consider Primal Rend, Seraph Blade/Strike, Garland of Bliss or Flash Nova worthy of wasting an adoulin ring over.
I'm not the ranger who was doing cap dmg trueflights constantly. I was the puller ensuring he didn't run out of mobs to shoot in dynaD.
Now, if the ring was wind damage +10%... I'd change my tune.
So many jobs get access to Aeolian Edge that it'd be harder to pick between the two. Odyssey Sheol's AoE nerf & the lack of mass killing in sortie still has me leaning toward movement speed anyway.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-02-29 12:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I have 5 crafting shields between my chars but I still dropped the crafting ring, I don't really feel any difference between crafting with and without it ever since the rusk ring came out. Weather ring... trueflight can do cap dmg without it... seraph you already get 50% light bonus so that 10% is less noticeable. Also I have found myself rarely needing to use light based weaponskills since aria came out phy can cover damage a lot easier. If you are a cornelia ring enjoyer this also helped close the gap between non weather ring options.

Pick whatever ring you want but about 2 years ago I swapped all chars to movement speed and never looked back.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-02-29 12:56:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Karieyh Ring is the go to choice. Since 99% of the game is standing around AFK or running through corridors surrounded by purple, this helps slowly tick up that TP. So at the end of a marathon, you're ready to unleash a WS. Also with WSD on it - How can you not pick this?!

Close 2nd is Weatherspoon. When you're following your Brady Guide and going WAR/WHM, your Banishes will be 10% more potent. Also fast cast and the potential to insta cast, it's win-win. Combined with Provoke, you're an unstoppable tank.

Finally, the last spot on the podium goes to Gorney. This is the ultimate ring for looting. When you're grinding out 1500 plates and 60 Cinders/Dross, you need all the help you can get. TH +1 baby! It also doubles as a Gilfinder ring, so when you use up all your Voidstones, you can kill beastmen and get extra money.
[+]
By BlackmoreKnight 2024-02-29 19:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone asking this is likely still in the process of going through other mission lines too, or trying to hunt down Artifact or Relic pieces or engage in any number of trivial old activities that are largely defined by a whole lot of running. At that stage of a character's progression, having a universal movement speed option is invaluable and will guaranteed save more time than doing 10% more damage on a WS they probably aren't juicing up properly anyways.

It's something that can always be re-evaluated later anyways, but I absolutely do not regret choosing the movement speed ring personally.
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2024-03-01 06:00:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Karieyh Ring is the go to choice. Since 99% of the game is standing around AFK or running through corridors surrounded by purple, this helps slowly tick up that TP. So at the end of a marathon, you're ready to unleash a WS. Also with WSD on it - How can you not pick this?!

Close 2nd is Weatherspoon. When you're following your Brady Guide and going WAR/WHM, your Banishes will be 10% more potent. Also fast cast and the potential to insta cast, it's win-win. Combined with Provoke, you're an unstoppable tank.

Finally, the last spot on the podium goes to Gorney. This is the ultimate ring for looting. When you're grinding out 1500 plates and 60 Cinders/Dross, you need all the help you can get. TH +1 baby! It also doubles as a Gilfinder ring, so when you use up all your Voidstones, you can kill beastmen and get extra money.

I was kind of waiting to see everyone's input, it all started with the movement speed.

As of now SAM can get tp WS under 3 attacks.

movement speed ring does not do anything for the party events unless your a monk and want to dodge the attacks then you might as well sub thf and FLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lol
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-03-01 11:22:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Crazy like a fox. A fox that's never played FFXI in its life... which might be redundant because I don't know any foxes that play FFXI... except that one from early Asuran history who showed her bazongas for HNM drops
[+]
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2024-03-01 11:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I started with the Cure Potency II ring and eventually switched to Shneddick Ring for overall convenience. It's nice to not drop DT or magic evasion when running around. Likewise, a lot of job only have non-iLevel movement speed options that only go up to 12%.

I would temporarily switch to the Vocane Ring if I needed Knockback resistance for tanking Lilith for ranged or magic burst strats. Knockback gear is bugged (or working as intended?) so as long as I'm the only person hit with knockback, it works.

The biggest benefit to all of this is that you can change your rings out to fit your needs. Don't be afraid to play around with different ones to see which you like best. Though updating your gear sets as you switch rings can be tiring.
[+]
By jubes 2024-03-01 11:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

i eagerly await the sequel when it comes time to pick a tvr ring, but to be honest that's a tougher call to make, relieved by that fact that you can change with less penalty.
By Tarage 2024-03-01 14:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The fact that this... specimen of a human being thinks Andrew Tate is someone to be quoting in any way outside of abject mocking speaks volumes. I can't think of a person who, with every post they make, makes themselves look ever more foolish. It's like watching a slow moving train wreck.
By Seun 2024-03-01 15:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Pergatory said: »
Crazy like a fox. A fox that's never played FFXI in its life... which might be redundant because I don't know any foxes that play FFXI...

Do appendages count? I played with some JP dude named Thefoxdonger once.
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-03-01 17:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »
Asura.Pergatory said: »
Crazy like a fox. A fox that's never played FFXI in its life... which might be redundant because I don't know any foxes that play FFXI...

Do appendages count? I played with some JP dude named Thefoxdonger once.
Hmm, that depends how you read it... it could be a fox's appendage, or it could be he lends his appendage to foxes if you catch my meaning.

The former playing FFXI would certainly be a more impressive feat than the latter.