Forum » FFXI » General » Seekers of Adoulin Choice Of Rings
Seekers of Adoulin Choice Of Rings
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Materdark
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Materdark 2024-02-28 06:56:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you had choice now what ring would you go for now?

I haven't done this mission yet just asking, where you are now what ring would you choose? Or if it was a repeatable quest in the future

You can change the rings

After getting a ring, talk to Ploh Trishbahk and she prompts you if you want a different ring.

You need 300,000 bayld
Trade her the ring and confirm the usage of the 300,000 bayld and obtain a new ring.

I would want my precious but its not in this game lol
By Nariont 2024-02-28 07:29:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Renaye ring is amazing, should go for that imo
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-28 08:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Move speed ring, especially if you have lots of characters.
[+]
By IGDC 2024-02-28 09:00:22
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Or even 1 character.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2024-02-28 09:46:56
Link | Quote | Reply

IGDC said: »
RadialArcana said: »
Or even 1 character.

Or even 0 characters.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
Server: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 10:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Crafting ring is the best ring imo
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2024-02-28 10:36:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Drakelth said: »

Well i was thinking of that to skill up with crafting.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 10:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Materdark said: »

I should probably mention the ring is only good if you have a shield or plan to make on in short order. If you don't have the resources for a shield get another ring until you do. shields are like a 3 month grind
[+]
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2024-02-28 10:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I should probably mention the ring is only good if you have a shield or plan to make on in short order. If you don't have the resources for a shield get another ring until you do. shields are like a 3 month grind

what shield is that?
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 10:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

what shield is that?

ossifier's Escucheon
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2024-02-28 10:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

what shield is that?

ossifier's Escucheon

Dam worth the grind lol Shame they don't let you use skill up like combat skills :P
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 11:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

what shield is that?

ossifier's Escucheon

Dam worth the grind lol Shame they don't let you use skill up like combat skills :P

skilling up is really not that hard,, its such a small part of actually crafting, its like getting your first job to 50 lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-02-28 11:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Movement speed. Magic evasion and -dt lost via other movement speed gear is getting more and more costly for characters to wear as time goes on. It also saves a bunch of inventory space for anyone who has several jobs worth of movement speed gear.

Thurandaut also takes first place if you have a pet job and it's your top priority.

After those two is weatherspoon ring for the fast cast utility coupled with bonus light damage for RNG Trueflight and/or Seraph blade on rdm.

Everything after that can generally be replaced by a misc single ring, better gearing choices in general, or a TVR Ring.
WSD ring is aight, but at the same time I'm not sure it beats out some of those sweet stat+10 rings with decent drop rates in omen enough to warrant not just aiming for the better wsd rings if you want them in the long term while wearing a more useful in general SOA ring.

The Crafting ring is unique, but it's only unique stat is skilling up faster. The rest of the stats just combined effects you can already get from other rings for a tiny bit of bayld and so assuming I'm using coconut rusks (since there's a crafting ring that enhances them to increase HQ rate for the other ring slot) I would not value a 1% shot at losing less gil items (using this as the example of what's lost since I'd value the HQ rate ring more and wear that) when crafting over the other rings when we're in an era where you can get millions of gil a week just by playing without making what I'd consider to be a special effort. You would have to be churning out crafts, have a crafting shield that cost you billions already to compete in the market or even craft something that might lose you a ton of gil, and have enough capitol/material to actually be able to risk losing something expensive. If you're at that point I'm not sure I'd have a reason to use it over the other rings to save on a material loss you can make up by playing the game with others in Sheol one or two times every 20 hours. This is assuming it's not a character specifically dedicated to being a crafter. I would also try to check crafter data since the pessimist in me trained by SE tells me that whatever mathematical formulae is it makes that 1% matter the least it possibly can.

You can obtain +1 these rings later if you clear out all of the SOA quests, coalitions, and whatnot, so you're gonna be stuck making this choice again, but I'm going off what you get from the NQ rings in my earlier statements. (It takes the old ring though,so no doubling up)
By K123 2024-02-28 11:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish I could be bothered to dig up the thread where this came up years ago and everyone called me an idiot for taking movement speed only to years later realise I was right all along :)
[+]
By Nariont 2024-02-28 11:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Mov speed was always an okay option, just wasnt near as much meva/dt gear and wsd rings so running around in carmine or other 119 gear wasnt that bad(still isnt tbh) and kariyeh/weatherspoon were/are in the case of weatherspoon are really strong for their slot
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2024-02-28 11:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
Wish I could be bothered to dig up the thread where this came up years ago and everyone called me an idiot for taking movement speed only to years later realise I was right all along :)
It was stupid back then. Then the movement speed gear didn't have to compete with 11% -dt,100+ physical/magic evasion,high physical/magical defense, and int values. Rest assured that you are still an idiot.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 11:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
Movement speed. Magic evasion and -dt lost via other movement speed gear is getting more and more costly for characters to wear as time goes on. It also saves a bunch of inventory space for anyone who has several jobs worth of movement speed gear.

Thurandaut also takes first place if you have a pet job and it's your top priority.

After those two is weatherspoon ring for the fast cast utility coupled with bonus light damage for RNG Trueflight and/or Seraph blade on rdm.

Everything after that can generally be replaced by a misc single ring, better gearing choices in general, or a TVR Ring.
WSD ring is aight, but at the same time I'm not sure it beats out some of those sweet stat+10 rings with decent drop rates in omen enough to warrant not just aiming for the better wsd rings if you want them in the long term while wearing a more useful in general SOA ring.

The Crafting ring is unique, but it's only unique stat is skilling up faster. The rest of the stats just combined effects you can already get from other rings for a tiny bit of bayld and so assuming I'm using coconut rusks (since there's a crafting ring that enhances them to increase HQ rate for the other ring slot) I would not value a 1% shot at losing less gil items (using this as the example of what's lost since I'd value the HQ rate ring more and wear that) when crafting over the other rings when we're in an era where you can get millions of gil a week just by playing without making what I'd consider to be a special effort. You would have to be churning out crafts, have a crafting shield that cost you billions already to compete in the market or even craft something that might lose you a ton of gil, and have enough capitol/material to actually be able to risk losing something expensive. If you're at that point I'm not sure I'd have a reason to use it over the other rings to save on a material loss you can make up by playing the game with others in Sheol one or two times every 20 hours. This is assuming it's not a character specifically dedicated to being a crafter. I would also try to check crafter data since the pessimist in me trained by SE tells me that whatever mathematical formulae is it makes that 1% matter the least it possibly can.

You can obtain +1 these rings later if you clear out all of the SOA quests, coalitions, and whatnot, so you're gonna be stuck making this choice again, but I'm going off what you get from the NQ rings in my earlier statements. (It takes the old ring though,so no doubling up)

really comes down to how much you craft for that 1% if it saves me a couple moonlight coral that's more than a couple c runs. I also have +1 ring so I might be a little more biased and pair it with the rusk ring. I doubt I would go back to any of the other options unless I stopped crafting than I would look at the move speed or weatherspoon myself.
 Fenrir.Ahlen
Server: Fenrir
user: Ahlen
By Fenrir.Ahlen 2024-02-28 11:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Movement ring trust me... after you get it you won't regret it :) If you didn't know equipment movement speed stacks with things like jig / bolters roll and it makes it a lot easier to get impressive movement speed. Heck even the bind / resist / petry resist is useful for me when I'm doing things like large Dyna D pulls / ody segments.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 11:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate to feed this idiot's thread but couple points on the topic:

Crafting ring (HQ) is 2% chance of synthesis material loss, not 1%. If you're talking about doing dozens of synths with materials worth upwards of 3-5m/ea and sometimes up to 7 or 8 materials, it can (probably) add up quickly. I'm not willing to sacrifice my time or gil testing these synths without the ring to know exactly how much, but it's a unique effect you can't get anywhere else. It is literally BiS for crafting. Keep in mind that if you're farming Ody/Dyna for 20m/week and then make gil crafting, you're getting 20m+profits, you shouldn't consider that 20m as substituting for the profit, because you can do both. Which would you rather have, 20m, or 20m+?

I think the FC effects of Weatherspoon are basically useless since it also has quick cast on it, so unless your lua is detecting that you quick cast and putting in potency gear (I'm not sure if they CAN do that, I don't use GS), you should not be using weatherspoon for the vast majority of spells you cast (anything with a midcast set, essentially). It's still a really nice ring for light WS etc, but I wouldn't consider it a FC ring at all.

Movespeed ring covers move speed for some jobs that don't have any 18% options, but if you have an 18% option for your job(s) I think the meva/DEF/DT you gain by wearing a ring slot movespeed is completely insignificant the vast majority of the time. You have to ask yourself: how often are you getting hit while wearing move speed gear? How dangerous are those hits? I would argue that these are extremely niche situations or irrelevant situations. Most people aren't dying in their movespeed gear...ever? It's still a fine option if you primarily play job(s) which don't have access to 18% move speed otherwise, I guess, but also consider how important movement speed is in terms of completing content...is it REALLY important that you move 6% faster when walking around town? For actual content (Sortie) where move speed might matter, Bolter's roll can cap your movement easily.

For my part, my characters have crafting shields so I have the crafting ring for both, but barring that, I think Janniston, Thurandaut, Weatherspoon, Vocane, Shneddick are viable options, depending on your job layout. It's impossible to say which is best because it depends entirely on which jobs you play and how often. If you play all 22 jobs on a regular basis (read: nobody) I'd say my opinion would be Weatherspoon > Janniston > Schneddick > Thurandaut > Vocane > anything else.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 11:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ahlen said: »
If you didn't know equipment movement speed stacks with things like jig / bolters roll and it makes it a lot easier to get impressive movement speed.

With 12% move speed on gear, you need a 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, or 11 (basically double-up until you get above 5, but don't randomly land on unlucky) to get capped movement speed. Also: 13 jobs already get 18% movespeed, with those jobs you have capped movement speed with any roll at all.

Jobs with 18%: THF,BST,RNG,COR,DNC,RUN,GEO,RDM,PLD,DRK,DRG,BLU,BRD
Jobs with 12%: WHM,NIN(during daytime),SAM,WAR,SMN,BLM,MNK,PUP,SCH

Fenrir.Ahlen said: »
Heck even the bind / resist / petry resist is useful for me when I'm doing things like large Dyna D pulls / ody segments.

Which Ody seg mobs are casting Break, Gravity, and Bind? Are you pulling worms? I don't think any RDMs in dynamis cast any of those spells either? This seems like a solution looking for a problem, IMO.
[+]
 Fenrir.Svens
Server: Fenrir
user: Tenkey
By Fenrir.Svens 2024-02-28 11:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the inventory space alleviation with only needing 1 move speed gear.
[+]
By K123 2024-02-28 12:10:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
K123 said: »
It was stupid back then. Then the movement speed gear had to compete with 11% -dt,100+ physical/magic evasion,high physical/magical defense, and int values. Rest assured that you are still an idiot.
None of this post makes sense, idiot.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-28 12:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-02-28 12:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Svens said: »
I like the inventory space alleviation with only needing 1 move speed gear.

Again, highly depends on your jobs. On one of my characters, for example, I play BRD, SMN, THF, PLD, DRG, BLU, DRK, RUN. If I took Shneddick Ring, I'd save exactly 0 inventory spaces. Carmine Cuisses are required for SIRD set, THF feet have flee duration, BRD feet are bis for fast cast and give +Scherzo, and frankly I don't even carry around move speed for SMN because I'm never kiting ***on that job.

Other character is NIN, WHM, SCH, RDM, BLM, COR, GEO, RNG, BRD so I guess I'd save 3 inventory spaces (Danzo, GEO, Herald's) but she also has dozens of empty wardrobe spaces and hasn't activated wardrobe 8 so...it would have no impact on my actual play experience.

YMMV, if you play a shitload of jobs it could save you 3~4 wardrobe spaces, but IDK...seems like a weird thing to prioritize (convenience, storage space, not using slips for obscure jobs you rarely play) when you could get an actual mechanical benefit from another ring. If you play primarily WAR and SAM, it could save you like...5 seconds of walking (total) in a seg farm run if your group isn't using Bolter's roll, I guess...
 Asura.Materdark
By Asura.Materdark 2024-02-28 13:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Crafting ring (HQ) is 2% chance of synthesis material loss, not 1%. If you're talking about doing dozens of synths with materials worth upwards of 3-5m/ea and sometimes up to 7 or 8 materials, it can (probably) add up quickly. I'm not willing to sacrifice my time or gil testing these synths without the ring to know exactly how much, but it's a unique effect you can't get anywhere else. It is literally BiS for crafting. Keep in mind that if you're farming Ody/Dyna for 20m/week and then make gil crafting, you're getting 20m+profits, you shouldn't consider that 20m as substituting for the profit, because you can do both. Which would you rather have, 20m, or 20m+?

I think the FC effects of Weatherspoon are basically useless since it also has quick cast on it, so unless your lua is detecting that you quick cast and putting in potency gear (I'm not sure if they CAN do that, I don't use GS), you should not be using weatherspoon for the vast majority of spells you cast (anything with a midcast set, essentially). It's still a really nice ring for light WS etc, but I wouldn't consider it a FC ring at all.

Movespeed ring covers move speed for some jobs that don't have any 18% options, but if you have an 18% option for your job(s) I think the meva/DEF/DT you gain by wearing a ring slot movespeed is completely insignificant the vast majority of the time. You have to ask yourself: how often are you getting hit while wearing move speed gear? How dangerous are those hits? I would argue that these are extremely niche situations or irrelevant situations. Most people aren't dying in their movespeed gear...ever? It's still a fine option if you primarily play job(s) which don't have access to 18% move speed otherwise, I guess, but also consider how important movement speed is in terms of completing content...is it REALLY important that you move 6% faster when walking around town? For actual content (Sortie) where move speed might matter, Bolter's roll can cap your movement easily.

For my part, my characters have crafting shields so I have the crafting ring for both, but barring that, I think Janniston, Thurandaut, Weatherspoon, Vocane, Shneddick are viable options, depending on your job layout. It's impossible to say which is best because it depends entirely on which jobs you play and how often. If you play all 22 jobs on a regular basis (read: nobody) I'd say my opinion would be Weatherspoon > Janniston > Schneddick > Thurandaut > Vocane > anything else.

You have the option to block users do that that goes to same with others on here, this way you won't see my post thank you.

I'm not here to listen to your life stories. Don't do couple points just do zero points. Stick to the topic and everyone will be happy. Like Andrew tate says MAN UP lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 13:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You have the option to block users do that that goes to same with others on here, this way you won't see my post thank you.

I'm not here to listen to your life stories. Don't do couple points just do zero points. Stick to the topic and everyone will be happy. Like Andrew tate says MAN UP lol

So happy you're an Asuran problem and thanks for the great advice lmao
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
Server: Shiva
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2024-02-28 13:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shneddick is a good option these days for convenience/QoL/space saving, but if you play rng/bst/rdm (and a few others) a lot you will shed a little tear everytime you use seraph blade/primal rend/trueflight and weatherspoon isn't in your set. It also has FC/QM for every job. I would consider weatherspoon the overall 'best' reward where as shneddick is a common top choice reward. I wont discuss the benefits of the crafting ring as if you are asking this you dont have a shield.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-02-28 15:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Jobs with 18%: THF,BST,RNG,COR,DNC,RUN,GEO,RDM,PLD,DRK,DRG,BLU,BRD,DNC
Jobs with 12%: WHM,NIN(during daytime),SAM,WAR,SMN,BLM,MNK,PUP

Having stable, consistent, 20% movement speed (18% ring, 2% cheer) on every job is more valuable to me than the potential inventory space savings.

Being able to build sets for any job around a single slot/swap that doesn't compromise ilvl or defenses is a huge convenience.
 Bismarck.Drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2024-02-28 15:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
Jobs with 18%: THF,BST,RNG,COR,DNC,RUN,GEO,RDM,PLD,DRK,DRG,BLU,BRD,DNC
Jobs with 12%: WHM,NIN(during daytime),SAM,WAR,SMN,BLM,MNK,PUP

Having stable, consistent, 20% movement speed (18% ring, 2% cheer) on every job is more valuable to me than the potential inventory space savings.

Being able to build sets for any job around a single slot/swap that doesn't compromise ilvl or defenses is a huge convenience.
I was under the impression the cheer didn't stack as it counts as gear piece similar to how cor cant double on on movement speed with skadi and carmine
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2024-02-28 15:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

18% movement that isn't taking up an ilvl slot is invaluable. Compare the defensive stats of your job's movement speed gear slot plus a defensive ring (like dring or gelatinous) versus nyame/malignance/empyrean plus shneddick. Hard to beat.
First Page 2 3