Every XI Expansion Has A Female Companion.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Every XI expansion has a female companion.
Every XI expansion has a female companion.
By RadialArcana 2024-02-21 04:41:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Eh, the "Heroine" thing in every expansion is a Japanese thing (to have a young & endearing female lead).
Personally, I don't care if the lead character is male or female, as long as they're compelling and interesting, and do not feel like the choice of their gender is forced, to serve some agenda. In fact, when I noticed the trend with Aphmau, Lilisette etc, it kinda felt weird to me at first, but then I learned that it's just a Japanese thing.

I didn't say the heroine, I said a companion. Companion is a whole other set of things, than playable character.

Quote:
And the notion that I'm way more likely to enjoy a game if it gave me virtual waifus irks me a little (and I like women as much as the next guy)

It does, whether you like it or not. We are animals, our brains evolved to be the way it is and that's how it is. You can resist against it, but it's still a base drive in our brains to be this way.

If you ever see a woman in danger in public, men will instinctively and instantly get up and try help her in a way almost all women will not. This is how we evolved. Women don't really have this trait, cause they didn't evolve to need it in the same way men did. They will deal with situations in a whole other way, usually screaming for help from men.

This is why tropes exists in the first place, because it works on your target audience so well. Square Enix of late have been trying to not do it, cause audiences pretend we don't like it anymore. In doing so they are making boring drivel nobody really cares about and is quickly forgotten.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-02-21 06:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
I do love Iroha, but I must admit when she calls the PC, "Master" it weirds me out a little
I figured it's probably a translation of shishou. Or even sensei, since the PC was basically her teacher and mentor.

RadialArcana said: »
I didn't say the heroine, I said a companion. Companion is a whole other set of things, than playable character.
The characters I mentioned in my post (spoilered) are companions. I already mentioned the concept of camaraderie and brotherhood.
But are you seriously using TLoU's Ellie, as an example of your idea of a female companion? Joel and Ellie are like father and daughter. It has absolutely nothing with what we're talking about. FFXI heroines are potential love interests or "waifus"

And the rest of your post is even more weird & is an example of what I call "simple mathematical thinking" that makes simple, generalized conclusions whilst ignoring any input that does not align with the conclusion

Dudes love girls => any dude will gravitate towards, and would better enjoy stories with "female companions" ...because biology!

It does not work like a universal law like that

So, since I'm trying to engage in good faith, let me repeat:
I don't care for having a "female companion" in my games as an absolute must.
If you enjoy them, good for you.
If companies include them for the sake of including them, it irks me. It becomes a goal in itself. And that usually reflects poorly on the quality of the story overall.
If companies decide to not include them for political reasons, then that also irks me. Same reason as above (and also *** pandering to certain groups)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2024-02-21 06:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, FFXI is a harem anime story

to get any more cliche, you would need to make it an isekai also.
By Sakinah79 2024-02-21 06:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Boudox is referred to as female in the story.
[+]
By SimonSes 2024-02-21 08:14:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
Asura.Aquatiq said: »
every expansion had a female protagonist and a player character companion*

Incorrect.

Lion is super hands off, to the point of being told not to come to Tu'Lia by Gilgamesh. She does anyway and is in less CSes than Zeid.

In CoP, Prishe doesn't even show up until the end of Chapter 2. She definitely takes center stage after she shows up, but she's not in literally every single part of the story, and CoP's goal was an ensemble cast, which is what it had. But even barring that, Selh'teus is a more important character, as he kicks off the entire plot, and is more important than Prishe and rides in the PC's soul the whole way through.

ToAU, Aphmau doesn't show up until like Ashu Talif. Which is like 33% of the way through the entire story. She's super important, but ToAU literally beats you over the head with the PC being the most important factor in stopping the Grand Vizier. And The Middle Lands stake in things revolve around your character being a double agent. So you don't get too full of yourself, they have Naja treat you like dirt (affectionately).

WoTG, Lilisette doesn't show up until several missions in, and while the story and your motivations are drawn from her a lot more than prior expansions she shares the stage with the Adventurer pretty much equally, to down right relying on them completely when she can't handle Lady Lilith and her very existence becomes temporarily fragmented. Am I really just playing the side character if all of the most important things hinge upon my presence and performance?

SoA, Arciela is there right off the bat. She's royalty. We're a nobody. She's got the key to everything in Otharsyne. Pretty strong case again for us being the sidepiece and yet... We're the one drawing the 12 orders' eyes. We're the ones told we're the only one who can understand/help Arciela in her endeavors. We're the ones who contend with the Xol Triumvirate in order to even get access to Hades's inner sanctum. We're the ones who retrieve Saj'akka's lost scales. Again, am I really just playing the side character if all of the most important things hinge upon my presence and performance?

Are you somehow implying that story can have only one protagonist and if for example Arciela is clearly a protagonist, you automatically must be a side character? I think you must make some research. All of those are protagonists, same as PC. All of those are dual (or more) protagonists stories.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-21 08:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Note to self:

@zeig
I made a big post but this really isn't the place to talk about this kind of stuff.

So yeah Boudox is female and that's kind of cool.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2024-02-21 16:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If it makes you feel any better, I absolutely appreciated your post and totally had not thought of the goblin being the "expansion girl" for TVR. Had a good chuckle, thanks for posting it.

But holy sh*t people want to take things so far astray from the point of a fairly lighthearted post about a gobbie girl...
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2024-02-21 17:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

In ToA you get cucked by a Pirate King, and Femdomed by a Mithra with a mace.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-02-21 17:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

@zeig
I made a big post but this really isn't the place to talk about this kind of stuff.

Well, I just want to say that I respect this, even if I don't know the content of what you deleted.

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
If it makes you feel any better, I absolutely appreciated your post and totally had not thought of the goblin being the "expansion girl" for TVR. Had a good chuckle, thanks for posting it.

But holy sh*t people want to take things so far astray from the point of a fairly lighthearted post about a gobbie girl...
I echo this & actually wanted to type something similar in my reply, then I saw your comment.
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-23 14:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Eh, the "Heroine" thing in every expansion is a Japanese thing (to have a young & endearing female lead).

It is probably more of a business thing tbh. I think I've read it somewhere that data says in anime community female players are more likely to accept female companions in their games but male players are less likely to accept male companions in their games.

Even if some male players don't mind having a bro as a companion in their games they are rarely vocal about it. But those who wants a female companion will be very, very vocal. So game companies ended up playing safe with more female companions.

Which also leads to lots of drama in gacha games community like genshin impact because players are unhappy with male and female character ratio all the time. They complained about this a lot.

Until players start to demand more male companions for balance this trend is probably not going to change.
[+]
By Afania 2024-02-23 14:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It does, whether you like it or not. We are animals, our brains evolved to be the way it is and that's how it is. You can resist against it, but it's still a base drive in our brains to be this way.

If you ever see a woman in danger in public, men will instinctively and instantly get up and try help her in a way almost all women will not. This is how we evolved. Women don't really have this trait, cause they didn't evolve to need it in the same way men did. They will deal with situations in a whole other way, usually screaming for help from men.

Even if what you say here is true, such difference can be overcomed with training. There are a lot of scientific evidence shows that learning can overrule human instincts.

There are a lot of jobs that requires dealing with emergency situations such as police, flight attendants, body guards etc. A trained female can do those jobs and react to situations perfectly fine.

That is why tropes are boring, because it is a super simplified generalization of reality. We need more diversity in our stories, not the other way around.
By Pantafernando 2024-02-23 14:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bytes have no gender
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-02-23 20:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Even if what you say here is true, such difference can be overcomed with training. There are a lot of scientific evidence shows that learning can overrule human instincts.

There are a lot of jobs that requires dealing with emergency situations such as police, flight attendants, body guards etc. A trained female can do those jobs and react to situations perfectly fine.

That is why tropes are boring, because it is a super simplified generalization of reality. We need more diversity in our stories, not the other way around.

Yes, if you want to fail you go against peoples natural desires.

No arguments really are needed, ff7r is using big ol tiddies to sell the game and it's working. Funny how a few flops will knock some sense into a company.
By Afania 2024-02-23 23:25:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how a few flops will knock some sense into a company.

Nah, SE has been selling sex in FF for a long time. For example in FF13 lightning's bust size went from C to D in LR no matter how nonsense it sounds. FF16 was also rated for mature.

It is not like they suddenly changed direction.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-02-23 23:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Bytes have no gender
Of course they do. They're binary!
[+]
By smii 2024-02-25 07:56:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Pantafernando said: »
Bytes have no gender
Of course they do. They're binary!

Better declare those identifiers. Wouldn't want to go around assuming headers now would you?
[+]