Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Regain Feather 2023
Regain Feather 2023
First Page 2
By vulture 2023-12-25 10:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

My friend sent me video proof of them getting the Regain Feather on retail without any hacks or mods. They didn't want to be identified, but since I thought it was worth sharing (I've never seen that before), they let me upload to youtube for them if I blurred their personal info.

YouTube Video Placeholder

There's basically two tricks to it. One has been mentioned before: From ground level, there's a ramp with a misleading boulder that doesn't quite fully block running up the ramp, so you can actually get up there if you don't run directly into the boulder and get pushed off. There's probably only enough time to give maybe 2 or 3 attempts at running past the boulder. And there's a Luminant not too far from it.

The other trick is timing the two miasmas past the boulder. Apparently they run off the same timer, which stays open for a random amount of time between approximately 15~21 seconds. It takes 14~17 seconds with max move speed to go from the first miasma to the second miasma. So if you manage to time the first miasma just as it's coming down, you will usually have just enough time to run through the second miasma too. Because the fade timer on the Mimeo Stone is so short, the viable window of time gives you just a few seconds leeway if you arrive too early (before the first miasma comes down). If you arrive too late (after it comes down), it's much more likely you will run into the second miasma still being up.

Anyway, the video does show that this is indeed possible on retail without hacks. However, given that the route in the video already took ~66 seconds from start to finish, it seems unlikely that anyone would be able to do it by taking the normal route or without having max move speed.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-12-25 11:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Great work. I've definitely tried getting back up Tor by passing that rock. I remember that as a Large Elvaan, I could not do it. Maybe this is only accessible for small Tarus?
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-12-25 14:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel out of the loop. What is this Regain Feather? New event or what?
 Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-12-25 14:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I feel out of the loop. What is this Regain Feather? New event or what?
This is item for re-completion of the mini game for a cop mission.

To get the feather you have to get the highest score.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Regain_Feather
https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Mimeo_Stone
[+]
By Nariont 2023-12-25 14:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

old old quest where you had to reach the top of ottohwa chasm in a certain amount of time, without speed boosts its really difficult/impossible, nowadays likely a lot easier with higher natural mov speed/mov speed gear/buffs
 Asura.Bluespoons
By Asura.Bluespoons 2023-12-25 16:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Flashbacks to an entire ls yelling "DON'T PUSH BY!!" at each other.

*shudder*
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-12-25 20:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't realize this was a thing, could you use a Hermes Quencher to get enough of a speed boost to buy more of a time margin or will it invalidate the result?
By Nariont 2023-12-25 20:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Only warping "breaks" the stone afaik
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-12-25 20:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Wtf? that's quite the handy med to have tucked away... Gotta try this when I get home

EDIT:

Question, I'm seeing the feather has 3 second use time which isnt the worst, but does it give Medicated status?

Also, is grabbing the stone repeatable indefinitely? Once per game day / irl day / reset?
By vulture 2023-12-25 21:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I didn't realize this was a thing, could you use a Hermes Quencher to get enough of a speed boost to buy more of a time margin or will it invalidate the result?
You pretty much already get capped move speed with bolters + cuisses, so anything more won't do anything extra.
By vulture 2023-12-25 21:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexprozius said: »
Also, is grabbing the stone repeatable indefinitely? Once per game day / irl day / reset?
The Luminant despawns when clicked once, and reappears somewhere else. To get the close one you'd have to keep clicking the others and hope it respawns where you do want it.
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-12-25 21:08:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So only that one location referenced in the video is do-able for the speedrun?
By vulture 2023-12-25 21:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably, unless there's another one close-ish only a few seconds farther away. But I don't think there is.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-12-25 21:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

V25 Ody new item META?
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-12-25 21:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
V25 Ody new item META?

That's kinda what I was thinking, although its use timer (3sec) is kindof slow, it might be useful for jobs that have to change weapons during buffs to startout with full TP.
By Shichishito 2023-12-25 22:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Brand new sock account, name blurred, almost convinced me, then I noticed he's not even /anon... SUS!

Do you even VPN bro?
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-12-26 00:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »
V25 Ody new item META?

That's kinda what I was thinking, although its use timer (3sec) is kindof slow, it might be useful for jobs that have to change weapons during buffs to startout with full TP.

Max HP and MP is huge tho in addition to to the TP.

I can see real uses for it during certain fights.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-12-26 00:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

man, all I remembered about this item was the constant debate that it was a trap included by SE to catch flee hackers ;)

Been a holiday weekend full of reminders of the old days, that's for sure^^
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-12-26 20:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Brand new sock account, name blurred, almost convinced me, then I noticed he's not even /anon... SUS!

Do you even VPN bro?
Will vouch for this vulture being the one referenced on the windower website at the bottom of the main page under "friends" and not some random no named vulture from some random desert.
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-12-26 20:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone here give it a go? I didn't get the chance yesterday, plan to after work tonight.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-12-27 01:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dexprozius said: »
but does it give Medicated status?
Appearently so, but it's a fast one:

"Prevents the use of items, spells, and abilities for 10 seconds after use."
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-12-27 01:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just the normal delay you get after using some items, not Medicated status
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2023-12-27 01:39:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Not super related, but you can get one of these from the gobbiebox... been holding on to mine for a few years now...
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2023-12-27 03:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

vulture said: »
From ground level, there's a ramp with a misleading boulder that doesn't quite fully block running up the ramp, so you can actually get up there if you don't run directly into the boulder and get pushed off. There's probably only enough time to give maybe 2 or 3 attempts at running past the boulder. And there's a Luminant not too far from it.

Bruh how...

I spent like 15mins running all sorts of ways or slowly tapping and could not replicate getting past the rock like in your video. Is there some trick or angle i'm not seeing? It's like trying to brute force it

Additionally, are mounts allowed? or does that fail it

EDIT: Mounting shatters the stone immediately
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2023-12-27 07:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps try using dressup to switch to the superior race (taru) if you aren't one already?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2023-12-27 08:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a reason why the person who completed this feat does NOT want to be named? Pretty cool achievement, wondering why would it be a problem. Person doesn't want to be accused of cheating? genuinely curious, not trolling, I've never seen this item before so this is neat
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2023-12-27 09:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I was able to recreate getting past the rock as a hume.

[Streamble Link expired]
 Siren.Dekoda
Server: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2023-12-27 11:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

How does collision detection work in this game? Is it actually different between races and character sizes?
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2023-12-27 12:59:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Dekoda said: »
How does collision detection work in this game? Is it actually different between races and character sizes?

I believe each race has different collision sizes as I seem to remember Tarus could get some places I couldn’t way back when, but also I know environmental collision was different between platforms so it also could have been that.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-12-27 13:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Small/medium/large model changes it, as well.
First Page 2