Asura.Voltaren
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Morte2020
By Asura.Voltaren 2023-10-12 12:08:26
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Asura.Ivlilla said: »
In the fantasy world in my head, if I ran a linkshell again, I'd institute a rule that everyone must have a functional White Mage, and we rotate playing it. Everyone gets a chance to experience the suck. Everyone gets a chance to do stuff that they want to do. If some people are better at White Mage than others, they may be asked to play it for more difficult content, but only after we've established that they're the only one(s) who can do that. And we'd still want to be rotation between several people.

People would play bad intentionally, not to be asked to play whm again lol

This exactly. I ran our group during abysses era and always got stuck on whm. When I came back in 21, I wanted everyone to have a variety of jobs since it's much easier to level them, ie Dd, support, tank, still run into the lack of whm or even moreso bard because of the gear required. I did it to the point where I started working on bard to fill that need, but got burned out on empyrean and mythic grind that I'm on a break currently.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2023-10-12 20:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivlilla said: »
In the fantasy world in my head, if I ran a linkshell again, I'd institute a rule that everyone must have a functional White Mage, and we rotate playing it. Everyone gets a chance to experience the suck. Everyone gets a chance to do stuff that they want to do. If some people are better at White Mage than others, they may be asked to play it for more difficult content, but only after we've established that they're the only one(s) who can do that. And we'd still want to be rotation between several people.

I did something like this when I ran a shell, had people rotate playing white mage (and other support jobs, and tanks, somewhat). It was successful, for a while, and we ended up with a really good group of people who played and understood different jobs and roles. To me, that was more enjoyable, instead of being in a group where the leaders come on their DD jobs and surround themselves with support/heals just to stroke themselves off. Everyone shares the responsibility but everyone gets to break out their favorite DD jobs, too.
[+]
By Shichishito 2023-10-12 21:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Abuse!
 Ragnarok.Bepe
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Bepe 2023-10-13 01:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The most fun and the most stress I had healing whm was Odyssey Gaol 25s. I remember the *** shark made me want to scream as I had to redo all my whm sets because our strat revolved around the adds beating up the whm. So I had to have capped DT at all times, capped spell interruption at all times, capped enmity- at all times because *** hate resets, keep myself alive, and keep people capped at full hp with stoneskin because that goddamn shark has no mercy! I was a big anti raetic rod +1 user, but this fight made me give in and buy one just to make gearing easier elsewhere...

Thankfully, in a static setting, players are supportive of the whm struggle. I would never want to do this fight in a PUG, if someone dared ask me why they died, I think I would stab them myself.

Also there was some earlier comments about dps can just look at something and press a weaponskill button and not pay attention. I disagree in fights like V25 shark. Our MNK and WAR had to adjus tttheir sets so their hp wouldn't drop as much, and still had to time their weaponskills correctly because getting caught in a weaponskill set without cureskin usually resulted in death...
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-10-13 06:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Bepe said: »
The most fun and the most stress I had healing whm was Odyssey Gaol 25s. I remember the *** shark made me want to scream as I had to redo all my whm sets because our strat revolved around the adds beating up the whm. So I had to have capped DT at all times, capped spell interruption at all times, capped enmity- at all times because *** hate resets, keep myself alive, and keep people capped at full hp with stoneskin because that goddamn shark has no mercy! I was a big anti raetic rod +1 user, but this fight made me give in and buy one just to make gearing easier elsewhere...

Thankfully, in a static setting, players are supportive of the whm struggle. I would never want to do this fight in a PUG, if someone dared ask me why they died, I think I would stab them myself.

Also there was some earlier comments about dps can just look at something and press a weaponskill button and not pay attention. I disagree in fights like V25 shark. Our MNK and WAR had to adjus tttheir sets so their hp wouldn't drop as much, and still had to time their weaponskills correctly because getting caught in a weaponskill set without cureskin usually resulted in death...

What I'm reading here is that WHM should have a job ability to turn into a Shark and PK ungrateful party members. This seems like the job adjustment that would get me to main WHM.
[+]
 Asura.Ivlilla
user: cevkiv
By Asura.Ivlilla 2023-10-13 11:02:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Ragnarok.Bepe said: »

What I'm reading here is that WHM should have a job ability to turn into a Shark and PK ungrateful party members. This seems like the job adjustment that would get me to main WHM.

Are you...

...making fun of sharks?
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2023-10-13 17:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely love whm and would main it, but others have it covered most of the time and I end up geo or brd or whatever. It is what it is.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-10-13 18:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Only the kind that can't kill abusive party members
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2023-10-13 18:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I mained WHM last night and everybody died. I officially retire!
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [44 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Suph
Server: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-11-26 11:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

How to play WHM:

Step 1: Find BRD, GEO, COR, RDM friends
Step 2: ????
Step 3: WHM SMASH!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By K123 2023-11-26 12:30:10
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM on Kalunga/Ngai/Xevioso is the most pressured job
[+]
 Leviathan.Fiddle
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Fiddle 2023-11-26 12:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalunga I would SCH 100X over cause Embrava cannot be dispelled, as well as PLD should be curing themselves.

more times then not SCH > WHM only thing a WHM brings to a table is Auspice/Barspells; but spamming Cures and tank aint getting hate good enough you gonna pull hate of toward beginning of fight.

Alternatively people need to wear DT sets so they dont die
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-26 13:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Sch is more fun / forgiving ngl.

Cureskin is less useful than 100+ HP Ticks of HP.
By Godfry 2023-11-26 14:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »

They serve different purposes. Divine seal cure V on your DD that accidentally got 5-8 mobs on him in a segfarm, for example, will almost make him invincible.

Not to mention V25 clears, where that cureskin might decide whether or not your front line will survive.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-26 15:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean...sch also doesn't get barspells, haste, or dia in gaol, and curaga is a nightmare. Idk i don't think sch is a replacement for whm in v25 gaols

And I've never seen a whm pull hate on any gaol nm. Maybe the adds? Or if all melee get hate reset, at which point caper aside sch will also have hate.

I'd love to bring sch to these fights but it has always gone disastrously wrong when I've tried it
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2023-11-26 15:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fiddle said: »
but spamming Cures and tank aint getting hate good enough you gonna pull hate of toward beginning of fight.

Something is likely very wrong with some of your party members and/or their sets. Tranquil heart is multiplicative with the -Enmity in your Cure midcast (which should very easily be capped). With Raetic Rod +1 you should easily keep people topped off without even having to press the high enmity Cures.

Wearing DT is not an alternative, it is a requirement for most fights regardless of what job your healer is.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mhysa
user: Nathoo
By Bahamut.Mhysa 2023-11-26 19:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Suph said: »
How to play WHM:

Hey, that's me!
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-11-27 01:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Mhysa said: »
Bahamut.Suph said: »
How to play WHM:

Hey, that's me!

Indeed that is Meesa!

[+]
By Mookies 2023-11-27 04:12:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The negative effect spam is horrendous.

Yagrush requirement because of the above.

I don't even want to do end game content anymore on anything because of the unfair negative effect spam and ***mechanics.
By SimonSes 2023-11-27 07:37:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »

In the fight like V25 Gaol, that is usually made with the use of SPs it's more like 200+ with regen from RegenV and Embrava. There is also almost 26% magic haste that can't be dispelled, which is pretty cool too. That being said cureskin is very often highly overlooked, especially by people using cure bots (bot reacts to damage instead of using cures as shield).
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-27 12:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fiddle said: »
Kalunga I would SCH 100X over cause Embrava cannot be dispelled, as well as PLD should be curing themselves.

more times then not SCH > WHM only thing a WHM brings to a table is Auspice/Barspells; but spamming Cures and tank aint getting hate good enough you gonna pull hate of toward beginning of fight.

Yeah folks are gonna have it rough. Barspells on WHM are 230+ magic evasion, 14~16 MDB and stacking 8% change to straight up ignore that damage. Kalunga / Xevi / Ngai are not DPS races, there is plenty of time to do enough damage, they are endurance contests where your goal is to survive until it's dead. The tank is not going to die on Kalunga, not if they are any good anyway. You just don't want one of the DPS dieing, especially under 50% when it can Lahar followed by an AoE attack, then an AoE TP move.

Something we found is SV Carol II + Shadow Ring + 4/5 Empy barspell gives 61% chance to nullify elemental damage. Combined with the +Resist, +MDB and proper gear (not just 50% DT) means the DPS can survive several hits long enough for the Curaga to land.
[+]
By Godfry 2023-11-27 14:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

SCHs healing in Kalunga V25, below 25%.

[+]
By Chimerawizard 2023-11-27 14:55:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer SCH on some fights, mainly the ones where I rarely need to heal anyone other than the tank.
If I have to heal multiple targets frequently, gather together everyone, we're going misery WHM cura spam. I'll tank an add.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-11-27 15:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Godfry said: »

I mean.. our healer for Kalunga was PLD tanking both adds and me as BLU while also being a DD and our only problem was RUN being one shotted with dispel > Searing Serration and our winning attempt was with lots of spare time and with magic def down aura at <40%.
BLU is definitely overlooked a lot as job that can throw big cures. White Wind can easily AoE cure for 1400+ (1900 on BLU himself) every few sec. In general it's much easier for SCH if you pair it with PLD or BLU for big emergency AoE cures.
[+]
By Godfry 2023-11-27 15:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean.. our healer for Kalunga was PLD tanking both adds and me as BLU while also being a DD and our only problem was RUN being one shotted with dispel > Searing Serration and our winning attempt was with lots of spare time and with magic def down aura at <40%.
BLU is definitely overlooked a lot as job that can throw big cures. White Wind can easily AoE cure for 1400+ (1900 on BLU himself) every few sec. In general it's much easier for SCH if you pair it with PLD or BLU for big emergency AoE cures.

Yeah, no doubt it's possible. So much so that you've accomplished it yourself.

However, I cannot see how your method would be more stable than the one proposed by Saevel. The method he mentioned also includes BLU (if I remember correctly) and no real threat of anything random happening. It just works and doesn't require two KIs.
By SimonSes 2023-11-27 15:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, not doubt it's possible. So much so that you've accomplished it yourself.

However, I cannot see how your method would be more stable than the one proposed by Saevel. The method he mentioned also includes BLU (if I remember correctly) and no real threat of anything random happening. It just works and doesn't require two KIs.

The problem we were facing while having WHM for Kalunga is, who gonna tank adds?
[+]
By Godfry 2023-11-27 15:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem we were facing while having WHM for Kalunga is, who gonna tank adds?

I see.. and those adds are a pain!!! Caused us to wipe many times at <5%. In the method mentioned by Saevel, however, the BLU spams TP denial and other awesome BLU spells (very unfamiliar with the job) that make the fight very stable. They are limited to their spinning move which aren't very threatening.

I liked it how you neutralized them with two tanks though! Interesting method.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-27 16:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I see.. and those adds are a pain!!! Caused us to wipe many times at <5%. In the method mentioned by Saevel, however, the BLU spams TP denial and other awesome BLU spells (very unfamiliar with the job) that make the fight very stable. They are limited to their spinning move which aren't very threatening.

I liked it how you neutralized them with two tanks though! Interesting method.

Adds are piss easy once the WHM updates their midcast sets to have defense stats in them. Kalunga specifically doesn't have a hate reset move, the adds are usually on me (WAR) for most of the fight, near the end they may wander off but it's not a big deal.

Tank (PLR or RUN)
WAR
COR
BRD
GEO
WHM

The COR and BRD are doing Savage spam while I'm doing Calamity on WAR. Tomahawk is basically Rayke, it removes / severely reduces the WS resist wall for 90s out of every 180 and I have a whole thing where I'm getting that and Warcry reset three times.

Like I said, the fight isn't a DPS race, we have way more then enough DPS, save all the SP's for the final sub 40% push. It's surviving the BS AoE's under 50% and not pulling hate that is the block. Ngia and Xevioso are similar but they do hate resets so a dedicated tank is useless, instead it's WAR + (DNC|DRG) + COR + BRD as the DPS's. Well the COR doesn't DPS on Ngai, they just get TP for Aura proc. We found BRD + Staff to be an amazing combo later on as they can spam Shell Crusher later on after the initial Armor Break wears off and the WAR and MNK are in full DPS/Tank/Don't-Die mode.

Oh and lets not sleep on the power of Subtle Blow with those adds. It's applied even with the add hits you, position yourself so it's just hitting you and not the others and you can drastically reduce it's TP gain.

Quote:
Auspice 25~29
Sakpata's Leggings +15
Sakpata's Gauntlets +8
Schere earring +3
Boii Earring +1 +6

The auspice is really for the BRD and COR, but does help the WAR hit cap.
By SimonSes 2023-11-28 03:10:10
Link | Quote | Reply

the BLU spams TP denial and other awesome BLU spells
Asura.Saevel said: »
Tank (PLR or RUN)
WAR
COR
BRD
GEO
WHM

I don't see BLU

With WAR tanking adds and no BLU for TP reset, then you can't really exclude random things happening, because if add will hit you with Debilitating Spout, you are kinda fu***.
That being said I don't see a reason for GEO in that party (especially that Saevel is saying it's not a race, so while BRD+COR+GEO?), when it could be BLU. Not only that would allow for TP reset, but also would help distribute damage done to Kalunga on more people, helping drastically with WAR not pulling hate close to the end.

Oh and lets not sleep on the power of Subtle Blow with those adds. It's applied even with the add hits you

What? Subtle blow lowering TP gain for monster that hits you? That would be the first time I hear this and I call that bs :) because then player hitting MNK mobs would also get less TP, which isn't true.

position yourself so it's just hitting you and not the others and you can drastically reduce it's TP gain.

Again bs. Monster doing AoE auto-attacks only gets TP from hitting main target. Doesn't matter how many people are in range. They will even get 0TP if hitting PLD for 0 as main target and hitting whole other party for more than 0.
[+]