Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » WingsXI Is Fun
WingsXI Is Fun
First Page 2 3 4
By JesterBuns 2022-08-30 17:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

A little snippet of funny from today's WingXI exploration.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-08-30 17:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Question...

Any reason your name is shallot? lol
 Bahamut.Kacil
Server: Bahamut
user: Kacil
By Bahamut.Kacil 2022-08-30 17:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

If that goblin used Goblin Rush instead of Bomb Toss he would still be alive today
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2022-08-30 19:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't that the private server where if you camp NMs vs the owner's friends, they ban you?
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2022-08-30 20:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »
Isn't that the private server where if you camp NMs vs the owner's friends, they ban you?
i checked and you're thinking of asura, replace owners friends with "japanese"
By kinkanat 2022-08-31 02:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I played on Nasomi and thanks to that server I was able to hook up 3 more friends to the official game.

Anyway the consensus was not to go back to Nasomi because it was too customised and buggy.

I also played on Eden and it seemed much more faithful to the 75 era, but the pets were OP and the best 75 tank was RDM..... so I was disappointed.

Is this WingsXI server better than Eden? Does it have a good population, is there a lot of content on it? Is it meant to last for many years?

Thanks for your time and the video is very funny XD.

There's nothing like the 75 era, it's wonderful.
[+]
 Cerberus.Natsuhiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Natsuhiko
By Cerberus.Natsuhiko 2022-08-31 03:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Dealing with Nasomi's "in-era" (but not really) stuff then Wings e-celeb garbage and support team that told me to suck it after reporting a bug, I came back to retail.

I had heard there was some drama and some of the Wings dev team went to HorizonXI; can't say I'd recommend either server.

Never played on Eden.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-08-31 05:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop playing on p servers, they are all garbage. Retail XI only
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-08-31 08:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Wings is a disaster, the admins scared off everyone who was actively contributing with sociopathic behavior. Gwei has run a handful of donation scams while doing nothing to improve the server. They're using a client over a year old, and can't use latest windower or ashita without going through hurdles. They have no hope of being maintainable long term, they just got a decent user bump when they still had staff and Nynja showed interest in the server, and are riding on people who are too invested to leave.

Granted, this isn't exactly uniquely bad within the FFXI private server community. Most of them have similar problems. Horizon is coming sometime and seems more promising than most from a technical and cooperative standpoint, though.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-08-31 08:20:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Question...

Any reason your name is shallot? lol
He apparently really likes onions. His retail name is Ognion (which he much too late discovered is not, in fact, the French spelling of onion)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-31 08:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

They all have promise in theory until they see what the power they have can do lol

I do kind of wish square would just do it already, just so everyone stops making new ones and talking about it at nauseam.
[+]
 Cerberus.Balloon
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Balloon 2022-08-31 08:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish they'd do it too.

They clearly nostalgia bait with their streams already. Keeping Retail and Classic tied to the same sub would probably drive some new / old people in and maybe even push people to retail in the long run.

I've been umming and arring about trying a private server, but I just don't think it's worth it.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-08-31 08:46:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I might try HorizonXI just because I'm curious to see what jobs like Rune Fencer and Geomancer would be like in old-school EXP parties. Assuming it does stick around long enough to get to Adoulin.

An official classic server wouldn't be enough because no one can agree on what the "best" parts of XI are. Every player has their own ideal version of the game in their head. At least with a few active private servers you can pick and choose how much QOL you have in your experience, knowing it won't change to make your efforts obsolete.

I still play Retail, but I'll admit that I find level 99 to be a very unexciting place to be. The good thing is that if I try HorizonXI and don't like it, I can just switch back.
[+]
By Tanag 2022-08-31 17:32:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Private servers will never be good until they start working together. So few ever commit fixes or updates back to the main repo and would rather keep them exclusive to their own server.

As such the community is incredibly fractured and progress is very slow. It's a shame.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2022-08-31 17:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I might try HorizonXI just because I'm curious to see what jobs like Rune Fencer and Geomancer would be like in old-school EXP parties. Assuming it does stick around long enough to get to Adoulin.

An official classic server wouldn't be enough because no one can agree on what the "best" parts of XI are. Every player has their own ideal version of the game in their head. At least with a few active private servers you can pick and choose how much QOL you have in your experience, knowing it won't change to make your efforts obsolete.

I still play Retail, but I'll admit that I find level 99 to be a very unexciting place to be. The good thing is that if I try HorizonXI and don't like it, I can just switch back.
nope, 99% of them agree that ToAU to completion is the best era for content variety
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-08-31 17:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

GetHelpNerd said: »
nope, 99% of them agree that ToAU to completion is the best era for content variety
That cannot be true because any time I see "classic servers" mentioned, I see arguments between people saying anything from Treasures of Aht Urhgan, Wings of the Goddess, Abyssea, 99 cap OK, Adoulin, and everything in between. I hear people arguing between 50-cap, 75-cap, 99-cap, whether Home Point Warps are OK, whether Trusts are OK, whether Mounts are OK, whether item levels are OK, whether skill-ups should exist at all, should exist at Era rates, or exist at Retail rates, how quickly EXP should be accumulated, etc.

No one can completely agree on what parts of any patch were beneficial or which ones "ruined the game".

Literally the only consistency I see people asking from the developers of the game is that they bring the game back to consoles.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2022-08-31 20:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

no, 99% of the private server population agrees wotg was bad and wants a toau server and nothing more. this is very apparent by the ones that have gotten popular and have longevity.

don't think i've ever seen an abyssea/99/adoulin one have more than 5 people online at a time, you must be digging for some rocks to look under to find those people
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-08-31 20:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

no, 99% of the private server population agrees wotg was bad and wants a toau server and nothing more
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

EDIT: That is to say, I was going to prove you wrong with live private server population count, but you're the one with the burden of proof, and maybe you have better evidence than I found. In which case, I'm happy to change my mind.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-09-01 01:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with private servers for me is they are too sanitized, they moderate them too much and it kills the fun of the world. Retail has a much more hands off approach, they let the world breath more and it feels more like a real place because of it.

It's like having a forum that is too heavily moderated, it becomes so boring why even bother posting at all.
By Seun 2022-09-01 04:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
no, 99% of the private server population agrees wotg was bad and wants a toau server and nothing more
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

EDIT: That is to say, I was going to prove you wrong with live private server population count, but you're the one with the burden of proof, and maybe you have better evidence than I found. In which case, I'm happy to change my mind.

It's worth noting that 'wings' players are never doing any 'wings' content. I don't really know if the missions and campaign/ops are even implemented. I doubt sandworm/DI are either.

They obviously didn't pick WotG because they think it's representative of the best of the 75 era. It was selected because it comes with level sync and tomes for exp. Private servers don't float enough pop to make progress without it.
[+]
By Nariont 2022-09-01 05:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

1 thing wings did right eventually was sch and dnc, content wise its a whole lot of 1 off events that got very little traction, funnily enough campaign is probably what ended up getting the most work done to it.
By kinkanat 2022-09-01 08:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in this game and with its community for 20 years and I've never seen anyone celebrate or ask for 99+ servers or with abyssea onwards, literally no one.

I think when we ask for classic servers it's mainly in the era of Aht Urgan or at most Wings.... although personally I prefer Aht Urgan expansion, I think it offers the best PVE experience ever because it meshes with the previous expansions perfectly and it's the best experience.

My best experience was in Eden, but I was discouraged that the pets were so broken and that the final tank was the RDM...those things never happened in Retail era 75.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-09-01 08:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

kinkanat said: »
the final tank was the RDM...those things never happened in Retail era 75.

most knowledgeable groups used rdm as a tank in retail 75 era, the average group was just not that knowledgeable
[+]
By kinkanat 2022-09-01 09:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the best tank was always Paladin with aegis both /nin for sky with another paladin and a thief control hate with SATA or in Aht Urgan with Paladin/blu maybe.

RDM the best kiter, but never a better tank than a paladin, I think that's a custom Eden thing really.

Also it was never Square's goal for RDM to be tank or best tank, the tanks in 75 era were Paladin, Ninja and max warrior/ninja in leveling or short stuff in endgame.
 Bahamut.Spookyfish
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Spookyfish 2022-09-01 09:38:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
most knowledgeable groups used rdm as a tank in retail 75 era, the average group was just not that knowledgeable

Bring back my OG enmity values for spells like Bind/Dispel/Sleep 1 & 2... that plus master levels and other current boosts RDM has.. Open peoples eyes again to the real tank.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-09-01 09:47:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the best tank was always Paladin with aegis both /nin for sky with another paladin and a thief control hate with SATA or in Aht Urgan with Paladin/blu maybe.

RDM the best kiter, but never a better tank than a paladin, I think that's a custom Eden thing really.

Also it was never Square's goal for RDM to be tank or best tank, the tanks in 75 era were Paladin, Ninja and max warrior/ninja in leveling or short stuff in endgame.
RDM was a better tank than PLD on anything melee struggled to hit, and anything melee could reliably hit PLD was not good
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2022-09-01 09:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That is absolutely not a custom thing. That's just how the game shakes out when you have the knowledge of how it works.
[+]
By Bliven731 2022-09-01 10:05:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been in this game and with its community for 20 years and I've never seen anyone celebrate or ask for 99+ servers or with abyssea onwards, literally no one.

I think when we ask for classic servers it's mainly in the era of Aht Urgan or at most Wings.... although personally I prefer Aht Urgan expansion, I think it offers the best PVE experience ever because it meshes with the previous expansions perfectly and it's the best experience.

My best experience was in Eden, but I was discouraged that the pets were so broken and that the final tank was the RDM...those things never happened in Retail era 75.

How to say you were in a crappy EGLS at 75 without saying you were in a crappy EGLS at 75
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2022-09-01 10:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Khajit said: »

It's also the same one that sells gil to their own player base
First Page 2 3 4