Good FFXIV Computer?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » Good FFXIV Computer?
Good FFXIV Computer?
First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-15 11:19:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, my laptop is on its last leg. Been using it for 3 years and it's starting to crap out on me from. So I'm wondering to buy a new desktop from Newegg and I've been looking at some computers there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229117

That's the one I'm currently looking at. Remember I'm a college kid on a budget, I don't have like $1,000 bucks to spend on a computer XD Any thoughts on this would be really helpful.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-15 11:20:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're getting a desktop, build your own. Or get a friend to build one for you.

Other than that, it's a decent comp for the money.

But.. As much of an AMD/Radeon fanboy as I am... I'd go with Pentium in the current generation.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-15 19:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't suggest Intel for anyone looking at a $500 pc. Comparing i7/i5/i9 with the AMD III equivalents is a huge $$$ difference. For gaming I'd still go with AMD. For processing and stuff like Adobe cs4, i7 wins hands down. For games it's not as much of a comparison.

As for the OP link. That computer kinda stinks. 450watt PSU means you aren't upgrading much. That GPU is way old. You can get a 4850 for $99. Most stuff will be even cheaper since AMD just put out the 5800 series and the 5900 series is slated for next month.

I'm really not sure why it costs $500. You can get a decent case for less than $100. 1Tb HDD for $100 or less. GPU for $100-200 depending on what you want and then the memory would be $25-40 for ddr2. You could build a budget i7 for probably $700.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-15 20:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have much input for pre-builts just because in general it's hard to recommend them, but Tbest and Antonio make valid points respectively. If you're comfortable building something yourself, I could certainly point you towards some sites that break down modern builds for different price ranges to help you pick the best possible combinations? Guides for doing the actual work are plentiful toooo.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-10-15 21:20:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that due to severe limitations in the software rendering layer of FFXI, left over from legacy PS2 code, you cannot get the game to ever run faster than 29.2 frames per second. It doesn't matter how fast your CPU or video card are. Your only goal is to prevent it from dropping below 29.2fps in crowded areas.

So in the case of FFXI specifically, there is a certain very specific point of diminishing returns on money investment versus performance.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-10-15 21:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
Keep in mind that due to severe limitations in the software rendering layer of FFXI, left over from legacy PS2 code, you cannot get the game to ever run faster than 29.2 frames per second. It doesn't matter how fast your CPU or video card are.

So in the case of FFXI specifically, there is a certain very specific point of diminishing returns on money investment versus performance.

Um, Jaerik, he said XIV.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-10-15 21:26:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sectumsempra said:
Jaerik said:
Keep in mind that due to severe limitations in the software rendering layer of FFXI, left over from legacy PS2 code, you cannot get the game to ever run faster than 29.2 frames per second. It doesn't matter how fast your CPU or video card are.

Um, Jaerik, he said XIV.

Wow. Fail.

Long day, sorry. -_-
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-10-15 21:32:39
Link | Quote | Reply

PS3 is 399. Play the game how it was meant to be played!
[+]
 Hades.Dizzmal
Server: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-10-15 21:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Untill they release what will be needed in order to run FFXIV, there is really no way to build a PC or buy one that you 100% know will run it.

Atrithk said:
PS3 is 399. Play the game how it was meant to be played!

I belive they have a $299 Version now.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-10-15 21:39:10
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're just getting it for FFXIV, go for the PS3, if you need a PC for school, and want one that can run FFXIV, I'd wait until the min specs come out, and it's nearer to release, since the price of tech will go down. By the time FFXIV is out, you'll probably be able to buy a PC twice as good as that one, for the same price.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-10-15 21:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind how FFXI progressed with time as well. Consoles are locked in and can never be upgraded. The PS2 for which FFXI was "meant" to be played on is now the worst way to do it -- so bad that its legacy support code is severely limiting the development of the game on other platforms.

It's entirely conceivable the same thing will happen with FFXIV. While going for the console version does guarantee a certain satisfactory level of performance at release, it might come back to bite you several years later.
[+]
 Phoenix.Lazuras
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2009-10-15 21:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Unconfirmed speculative reports (because I have no idea how to look into such things) suggest that ready to use PCs will see a significant drop in price by the end of the year. Shop around and wait till post Christmas for the best buys.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-10-15 21:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV is being developed for the PC and ported to the PS3 according to older interviews with the Development team. However simply having to support a console will ultimately limit the game's potential. Be that as it may, it's still pretty amazing how long they've managed to use the PS2's hardware. The PS3 will probably age better through the life of FFXIV than the PS2 has, but again, eventually they will hit that brick wall.
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-15 21:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hope my laptop can even last until the end of the year ; ;

but seriously everyone thank you for your input on this. Trying to find a good computer for myself is something I'm not too skilled at lol
 Bismarck.Marinae
Server: Bismarck
user: Filiros
By Bismarck.Marinae 2009-10-15 22:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Kami~~~~ XD

"Put a banana in your ear"

reply to your pidginz next time <.<;;
Zicdeh said:
If you're just getting it for FFXIV, go for the PS3, if you need a PC for school, and want one that can run FFXIV, I'd wait until the min specs come out, and it's nearer to release, since the price of tech will go down. By the time FFXIV is out, you'll probably be able to buy a PC twice as good as that one, for the same price.

What he said ('o')\
 Bahamut.Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-10-15 23:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more saying that people will begin to use any 3rd party apps available. Windower makes everything so much esier, but it was not meant to be played that way.
And yes...PS3 is 299 now...I forgot ._.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-16 02:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

to the OP, you can piece together a ~$400 pc that will run Crysis at 50-60fps on high settings. There is no way FFXIV will need more than that. If you don't know anyone that can build you a pc, check around. Shoot, I could probably build you a budget system and have it shipped to you for less than a pre-built system.
 Bahamut.Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-10-16 07:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

What he said. Don't get a pre-built system, those things have the shittiest and overpriced materials. You're literally paying for it to be prebuilt.
 Remora.Vitaru
Server: Remora
user: Vitaru
By Remora.Vitaru 2009-10-16 07:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just ordered my parts 10mins ago

MB: Asus Rampage II extreme
Proc: Intel Core I7 920
Ram: Corsair 6g
VGA: Radeon HD 5870 (DX 11)

others not important to mention for ff14

but if you are making any PC with proc I7, and 4g ram it should be over killing it for FF14
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-16 08:56:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This post will echo things other posters have said. "If" your PC can last until next year, get one next fall before FFXIV comes out. I'm upgrading my laptop then simply because the longer ya wait, the better comp you can get for the money.

Also... If you want one within a month or two and are set on getting a pre-built, I'd wait until Black Friday. They have great deals on pretty much anything electronic including desktops/laptops.

In addition to that, the PS3 Slim will be coming out November 3rd I believe for $350 and I believe the regular PS3's are going to be $250 and $300 after the Slim comes out. Not 100% sure on any of those points with the PS3's though.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-16 09:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonioklaus said:
to the OP, you can piece together a ~$400 pc that will run Crysis at 50-60fps on high settings. There is no way FFXIV will need more than that. If you don't know anyone that can build you a pc, check around. Shoot, I could probably build you a budget system and have it shipped to you for less than a pre-built system.

MMORPG engine cannot be compared to FPS ones. We have yet no idea on how -massive- FF XIV will be. Most of FF XI event involves 18 players or less. Couple events involve 2 alliances. More was just when camping certain NM (and besieged). We still don't know if FF XIV will gather, let's say, 200 players together for a single event. We've seen that in others MMOs, could happen on XIV. Now Crysis with couple of soldiers versus FF XIV and 200+ players on your screen, you clearly see that a $400 computer will simply fail in the second situation.

We also have no idea on how optimized FF XIV engine will be. We don't even know yet if it'll fully use Quad Core CPUs.
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-16 19:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika said:
Antonioklaus said:

MMORPG engine cannot be compared to FPS ones. We have yet no idea on how -massive- FF XIV will be. Most of FF XI event involves 18 players or less. Couple events involve 2 alliances. More was just when camping certain NM (and besieged). We still don't know if FF XIV will gather, let's say, 200 players together for a single event. We've seen that in others MMOs, could happen on XIV. Now Crysis with couple of soldiers versus FF XIV and 200+ players on your screen, you clearly see that a $400 computer will simply fail in the second situation.

We also have no idea on how optimized FF XIV engine will be. We don't even know yet if it'll fully use Quad Core CPUs.

You are kidding I hope? A $10,000 pc won't help you in dynamis windy with 64 players or DA with 200 players. FFXI caps the FPS at 30. I played this game on a 2.8 p4 with a Radeon 9700pro GPU until it died 6 months ago. I didn't lag in dynamis or congested areas any more than anyone else. Actually my new pc is almost more laggy since I moved from Vista to Windows 7.
 Seraph.Greyfin
Server: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-10-16 20:04:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:

In addition to that, the PS3 Slim will be coming out November 3rd I believe for $350 and I believe the regular PS3's are going to be $250 and $300 after the Slim comes out. Not 100% sure on any of those points with the PS3's though.

PS3 slim has been around for nearly a month. 299.99 120GB, and the 250GB model will be coming out soon too.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2009-10-16 20:15:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Playing video games is a waste of time, back in my day kids played outside.
[+]
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-16 23:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkshade said:
Playing video games is a waste of time, back in my day kids played outside.

I play when I send my kids outside?
 Hades.Ethereal
Server: Hades
By Hades.Ethereal 2009-10-17 01:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Antipika is right for one, and two You have no clue what min specs are on XIV. It could cost way more than 500. We just wont know until they are posted. Honestly id stick with the laptop thats crapping out and save up a bit more money so you can get more than just the Min specs. No game runs excellent on min specs, sometimes not even decent. And if it comes to the worst case most expensive scenario, like others said, just get a ps3, and a cheap computer to do your work on. Can easily pick up a decent comp for school work for ~200$.
 Gilgamesh.Kdizzle
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kdizzle
By Gilgamesh.Kdizzle 2009-10-17 03:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

or bestbuy.com ftw lol its what i did /nod
10 bucks a month is god >.>
 Leviathan.Antonioklaus
By Leviathan.Antonioklaus 2009-10-17 04:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If you wanna know the specs it's easy to figure out. They are making this compatible with ps3. So, it's not going to be very intensive. A good dual core will run it. There's like 4 games on the market that make use of quad core tech. FFXIV won't be one of them. We've already seen the graphics so GPU is obvious. The only thing that's up in the air is whether this game will rely more on your CPU or your GPU. Which is why most people have issues with Crysis. Crysis is very CPU dependent.

On a side note, we've know about ffxiv for what 6 months? Which means development started 6 months before that. So, they started it based on tech from a year ago.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-17 06:02:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Antonioklaus said:
Antipika said:
Antonioklaus said:

You are kidding I hope? A $10,000 pc won't help you in dynamis windy with 64 players or DA with 200 players. FFXI caps the FPS at 30. I played this game on a 2.8 p4 with a Radeon 9700pro GPU until it died 6 months ago. I didn't lag in dynamis or congested areas any more than anyone else. Actually my new pc is almost more laggy since I moved from Vista to Windows 7.

What's the point of your answer ? We're talking about XIV. Everyone knows that FF XI is poorly optimized. It's not like you'll teach me that.

You still have no *** clue on how FF XIV engine will behave. Comparing it with CE2 is just stupid.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-10-17 06:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, FFXIV has been in development for years. It was previously known as "Project Codename: Rapture". This was demoed back in early 2005? (I think.) SE is using the White Engine, or what has come to be known as the Crystal Tools set for this game, meaning it can be scaled pretty easily to take advantage of new technology. It doesn't require a total rewrite to add higher textures or Direct X 11 support. You simply replace what you want to replace, and it works.

While SE have not stated the specs, they have given subtle hints on the requirements to play on PC. It was said that only high end PCs could play at launch, and eventually high end becomes mid range/budget and so forth.

The PS3, while not a PC by definition, is incredibly powerful. Stating that FFXIV is not going to be very intensive because it is compatible with PS3 doesn't really make sense from a technical viewpoint.

I'll give you a base requirement set based on some imaginative and speculative thinking (based on comments made, and the tech currently being used in the most recent crop of SE games). Remember though, SE won't go pure top of the line. They will have a way to scale it back some so at least the mid-range folks can play, even if it looks like crud.

Remember, these would be among the low tier requirements. This could be way off if SE decides to future proof it.

Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz or above
2GB of RAM
30GB hdd
ATI 4650+/Nvidia 8800+
Broadband internet (a given)
DVD-Rom drive (although we may see a blu-ray release)

Now, I'm just guessing here, but the Recommended Settings will likely see something in the field of:

Core i7
4GB of RAM
30GB HDD
ATI 5850+/Nvidia 285+

This is just a guess. As all we can do is guess. It's not going to be out for another 6 months, minimum. All the new tech we have now will be going on it's second or 3rd respin, and we may see requirements that are much much higher.

Edit: I've been informed that the HDD requirements may be higher than I originally thought. We may see install sizes of up to 50GB. I'm hoping that's not right, but judging by recent MMO install sizes at 30GB+, it could very well be accurate.
[+]
First Page 2