I Know We Said This Game Was Dying Before But....

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » I know we said this game was dying before but....
I know we said this game was dying before but....
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2017-08-17 13:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time I played a Trails game it ended in dysentery
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-08-17 14:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Is that supposed to be a substitute for actual content this game should have available? Gear up impracticable job combinations just for the sake of mixing it up, and call it fun?

Wow.

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying if RNG is your favorite job, develop strats for it. If you love DRK, figure out a way to tank WoC on DRK for shits and giggles. If you love BST, gather together a horde of BSTs and get ***done. I'm not saying gear impractical jobs....I'm saying don't let cookiecutter ls's dictate your fun.
[+]
By Azurea 2017-08-17 14:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying if RNG is your favorite job, develop strats for it. If you love DRK, figure out a way to tank WoC on DRK for shits and giggles. If you love BST, gather together a horde of BSTs and get ***done. I'm not saying gear impractical jobs....I'm saying don't let cookiecutter ls's dictate your fun.

This. For instance, if you want to play MNK, go outside IRL, shout "BOOST!", proceed to stand there until you've forgotten you shouted it in the first place, and then punch the nearest tree.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 14:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
I used to be able to look forward to what I class as good games on the PS2/PS3 every now and then. Adventure/RPG/Action games such as Darksiders. They were great burn-out remedies. But for the past 10-15 years its just been FPS after FPS none-stop, and I can't stand them. No more devil may cry, no more god of war, no more fable..even the FF titles went south in my opinion after FF12.
I have FFXV still in its plastic wrapping. Had it 2 weeks before release and just can't bring myself to open it or bother trying. The reviews I read told me this game wasn't for me.

This is why I have a large library of fun games I can play, and why I'm so into vintage gaming.

The reason games seem to be getting shittier and shittier is that the gaming industry is big business now. It's not about making games that you want to play for years, it's about making games you want to buy and then get tired of and buy the next one. All the AAA manufactures want to make disposable games. The best way to do that is to make a game attractive at face value, so the wrapping and outward appearance of the game is usually pretty while the core gameplay mechanics are bland and repetitive.

Back "in the day", graphics options were far more limited and programming resources went into core mechanics, pacing and immersion. The idea being to make you want to play the game multiple times or for a long time (side quests and new game+ stuff). Modern AAA games need to be really pretty so they sink enormous resources into graphics, effects and marketing with core mechanics and pacing being an after thought. The idea being to get you to play the game for awhile, then get bored and buy the next game or another game from the same producer.

So I usually go with indi game developers or titles that I know have a history of solid game play.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-08-17 15:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

You can also try out a lot of the "pointless" content just for fun even though it doesn't really get you much. Trying to figure out and make pankration work was pretty fun. Monstrosity actually makes leveling fun... just kind of sad there basically is nothing else to it. Go out and try to get all the RoE done. Had a friend trying to finish every quest in the game. Afterglow a shield or instrument :p
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-17 15:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Azurea said: »
This. For instance, if you want to play MNK, go outside IRL, shout "BOOST!", proceed to stand there until you've forgotten you shouted it in the first place, and then punch the nearest tree.

lol!
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2017-08-17 15:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
The reason games seem to be getting shittier and shittier is that the gaming industry is big business now. It's not about making games that you want to play for years, it's about making games you want to buy and then get tired of and buy the next one. All the AAA manufactures want to make disposable games. The best way to do that is to make a game attractive at face value, so the wrapping and outward appearance of the game is usually pretty while the core gameplay mechanics are bland and repetitive.

If you think games are dispossible now, you most not have the attention span to play them, or are just looking at the wrong games.
Even on the NES era, games would either have or not have replay value. Now if you say "I used to have fun playing XYZ for weeks as a kid while i cant enjoy it the same now" is basically because
-you dont have the time
-you arent as easily amused
-your perspectives and POV have changed
-you have more money to spend on games and jump between them, forgetting previous ones.
-definition on fun is diffefent.

And yes yea we still get the yearly cash grab game or the market flooded with garbage games. Same can be said for a decade ago.. to even the atari era...
Ever picked up an old game you loved, play trough it and said "oh boy this is a shitty game "? And still not manage to even play it for 1 hr ?
Saying games bad because content is too bland and repetitive?
And yet you like and enjoy XI which is "lets farm sky/sea/dyna/abyssea/flavor-of-the-month-event" is not ?
By Justuas 2017-08-17 18:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
You can also try out a lot of the "pointless" content just for fun even though it doesn't really get you much. Trying to figure out and make pankration work was pretty fun. Monstrosity actually makes leveling fun... just kind of sad there basically is nothing else to it. Go out and try to get all the RoE done. Had a friend trying to finish every quest in the game. Afterglow a shield or instrument :p
Chocobo raising/racing/digging, altho you need racing in order to get a vorseal.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-08-17 18:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So playing a game outside of battle content for the fun factor.
Once you hit the wall on 1 thing there is always another to do.
Level all jobs gear all jobs af relic emp 119, Crafts, NM hunting (there are still some I have never seen let alone killed) as said Monstrosity and Pankration. Master all jobs, all missions quest and BCNM Rare drop farming. All Trust, all Titles, Farm WoE for a week.
Get the best of the best augments on things

Lots left to do however if you do not want to do some/most and stick to a smaller wheelhouse then that is also fine. Some ppl like to partake in everything and maximize their fun
Oh yeah, that is just on 1 toon, try doing it on multiple toons and the game has a good bit or replayablity
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 19:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Nadleeh Sakurai said: »
Ever picked up an old game you loved, play trough it and said "oh boy this is a shitty game "?

Someone didn't read my comments.

*Cough Cough*

Asura.Saevel said: »
Just take a break and play something else.

Single biggest mistake I see people do is burn themselves out by making FFXI the centerpiece of their life. That's extremely bad and leads to burnout, depression followed by anger.

Right now I'm playing,

Final Fantasy III on DS
Final Fantasy I / II DoS (with rom mods)

Planar Conquest / Master of Magic
Might and Magic IV / VI / VII

Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac version with English Translation patch

And then picked up Dark Spire for DS and rolling a new party for some hard core dungeon grinding.

When I get some time I'll be finishing Legendary Heroes Trails in the Sky Chapter 2 in preparation for Chapter 3. I also have at least another dozen games I can jump into for a different experience.

They key is to constantly have different experiences and never get too wrapped up in FFXI.

*Cough*

Quote:
This is why I have a large library of fun games I can play, and why I'm so into vintage gaming.

Most AAA title games today are ***because virtually all resources go into the the form with very little into the function. It's all about getting instant sale numbers because otherwise the news will call your title a flop and all those "wait and see" purchasers won't buy it at full value. Yet if you can score a big sale numbers on opening week, then even if the title is below par you can rely on momentum to carry the day. That means teaser trailers with lots of actual-but-not-really "in game" scenes that look bad *** and has the main character doing all this cool stuff. Opening day, turns out it's all been removed as the game needed to run full speed on some console and you get a facsimile of what was shown on the trailer.

Again this is why I stick with indi developers with only occasional forays into higher budget gaming and only after it's been out at least six months and verified to not be a pile of cash bait.
[+]
By whitemage 2017-08-17 20:01:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy XI is the best game ever and will never end!
There are endless things to do and even if you come close to doing most of them -- just make another character and do them all again!!
Server not busy? Get more of your friends to play! Be a leader and yell to do events! Go perfect those augments! There is too much to do! <3
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2017-08-17 23:34:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Stop crying and do something about it or take a break. That's what most people do.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2017-08-18 00:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be able to look forward to what I class as good games on the PS2/PS3 every now and then. Adventure/RPG/Action games such as Darksiders. They were great burn-out remedies. But for the past 10-15 years its just been FPS after FPS none-stop, and I can't stand them. No more devil may cry, no more god of war, no more fable..even the FF titles went south in my opinion after FF12.
I have FFXV still in its plastic wrapping. Had it 2 weeks before release and just can't bring myself to open it or bother trying. The reviews I read told me this game wasn't for me.

I think I'm done with gaming after FFXI.
Fighting games (you had a Tekken Gouki/Akuma gif as your avatar before, so I assume you're into them) are doing great.

Single-player? Try Nier Automata I guess.
And if you have no problem with "Souls-like" games, try out Nioh.

I mean 2016/2017 had plenty of games from different genre & devs, you're bound to find something you like.

I do miss the old days where, as Saeval put it, budgets would go into the core instead of the fluff, which would allow devs to experiment and we would get all kinds of innovative games & new experiences.
[+]
 Asura.Lilliy
user: Whoshunny
By Asura.Lilliy 2017-08-18 01:39:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well then it's about talking and interacting with People. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy playing and sometimes don't do a lot other times I'm so busy the time flys. As long as you are having fun that's all that counts. Enjoy the game your way.
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2017-08-18 02:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The game just seems more dead than it's ever been, and there isn't anything hopeful to look forward to.
People often assume a game/show/band has changed, rather than themselves. You see it across all genres and mediums.

Maybe you just aren't as entertained by a pointless video game for hours on end as you used to be? Maybe your attitude to effort vs. reward has changed? Maybe a million things that aren't related to the game.

People almost never look to themselves for change, which is bizarre because we adapt and learn and change all the time.

It's OK to change and wake up one day and think "Damn, FFXI is pretty boring/pointless!"
[+]
 Asura.Kek
user: Numbahz
By Asura.Kek 2017-08-18 03:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I just got back to the game after a 7yr hiatus and I'm really astonished w/all that's changed in a really great way, it is certainly worth spending time in the game once again. I do feel like there is a lot going on in the game often way too much.. a huge separation of balance between player skills and making the social aspect feeling a little empty.

This game is certainly enjoyable for now who knows where the future holds, is def is not a way to think about with a game.. cause its that a game.. enjoyable to each owns experience within it!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-18 09:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Is that supposed to be a substitute for actual content this game should have available? Gear up impracticable job combinations just for the sake of mixing it up, and call it fun?

Wow.

If you are looking for new content and kill ***all the time, then maybe give FFXIV a try. The way they design it is that, they bump up the content level every couple of months. So the players are constantly grinding newest gears, and do the newest content.

It feels like the purpose of the gear in ffxiv is to unlock your access to newer content so you get to kill newer ***. And the entire purpose of the game is to kill ***, gear is just there to boost your gear score so you can do them.

FFXI has a lot more different elements that it's not just about raid. These elements includes social and connection building, extreme level of min maxing a job(gonna get all 2 billion gil HQ+DM augs), quests for additional stats bonus(soa +1 rings, cheer effects, all vorseals unlocks etc), experimenting new play style or setup, and so much more.

All of these activities can take massive amount of time but it's not required for progression nor raid. You can skip all of them and still beat T4.

Therefore if kill ***/raid/progression is all you want but you don't enjoy other gameplay element in FFXI, you may run out of things to do very fast.

I can tell you 10 things that you can do or try in FFXI but probably haven't done. But it's not going to help if you don't enjoy doing them to begin with.

My biggest in game goal is probably beating SL MT as RDM main healer just to prove it can be done, but idk if I can ever convince people to let me try that without another 300hr of connection/trust building and practicing .-.

And yes, 8 whm meleeing T4 is fun as hell, FFXI allows player to do things like this is why it's my favorite MMO.
He/she's right ya know.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-18 09:19:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Azurea said: »
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

Monk in a nutshell in game too.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-18 09:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dibble said: »
The game just seems more dead than it's ever been, and there isn't anything hopeful to look forward to.
People often assume a game/show/band has changed, rather than themselves. You see it across all genres and mediums.

Maybe you just aren't as entertained by a pointless video game for hours on end as you used to be? Maybe your attitude to effort vs. reward has changed? Maybe a million things that aren't related to the game.

People almost never look to themselves for change, which is bizarre because we adapt and learn and change all the time.

It's OK to change and wake up one day and think "Damn, FFXI is pretty boring/pointless!"
True or maybe he needs to play the wonderful ever lasting to a common goal game called, "real life." Uninstall the game go outside.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-18 10:06:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing that frustrates me most about this thread is the impression I get from some, "If this game is boring, it is your fault!"

Look, sure, we change, but it is the developer's responsibility to keep pace with the wants of its customer base if they want to keep making money.

If you like the game, keep playing and paying.
If you don't like the game now, you aren't likely to like it later. I only waver from complete certainty due to a blind hope that despite the three consecutive months of utter trash downdates something big is coming around the bend. But if it isn't here by November (the 11th month of the year), nothing is coming. In which case, I expect many to jump ship and not look back for considerable time.

But, if a game is bland, it isn't a user's responsiblity to find some way to choke it down. So, no, if you think the latest downdates and stupid 15th crap is horrible, you shouldn't think you need to up your medication until you like it.

Your choices are:
1) Stick with it because you are a slave to FFXI despite your distaste of it.
2) Stick with it for a self-determined amount of time to see if it'll get better.
3) Drop it like the dead weight it currently is.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-08-18 10:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
"real life."
rl these days = going out with a bunch of friends and sitting there silently while they all stare at their smartphone screens.

People who were on 5-7 year hiatus from ffxi, coming back and are astonished at how the game has changed.

People who were on 10-15 hiatus from RL, going back out and shocked at how little human interaction there is anymore.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-08-18 10:11:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
If only they added mounts, home point warps, ah in every town same. Etc etc years ago when there were 300k players this game would have been loved and played by all who played.
Anyone returning now will feel sick at how sadistic SE treated us for years having to run around like idiots!
It was designed to help force a community together. Of course there isn't much of one now and a lot less care about game immersion in zones that are over a decade old
By Blazed1979 2017-08-18 10:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
The thing that frustrates me most about this thread is the impression I get from some, "If this game is boring, it is your fault!"

Look, sure, we change, but it is the developer's responsibility to keep pace with the wants of its customer base if they want to keep making money.

If you like the game, keep playing and paying.
If you don't like the game now, you aren't likely to like it later. I only waver from complete certainty due to a blind hope that despite the three consecutive months of utter trash downdates something big is coming around the bend. But if it isn't here by November (the 11th month of the year), nothing is coming. In which case, I expect many to jump ship and not look back for considerable time.

But, if a game is bland, it isn't a user's responsiblity to find some way to choke it down. So, no, if you think the latest downdates and stupid 15th crap is horrible, you shouldn't think you need to up your medication until you like it.

Your choices are:
1) Stick with it because you are a slave to FFXI despite your distaste of it.
2) Stick with it for a self-determined amount of time to see if it'll get better.
3) Drop it like the dead weight it currently is.

I have a theory about their timing - didn't stormblood the FFXIV expansion come out around the same time SE stopped giving XI quality updates?

I think the fools are trying to sabotage XI in hopes people will jump ship to XIV, again!

Japan needs to catch up with the rest of the world and become marketing oriented - meet your customers' needs/wants and stop trying to make your customers want what you're selling.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-18 10:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't following this thread closely but wow. It's amazing how people equate "not having a real life" with "I wish there was a better update or content coming around soon".

I don't even recall saying the game itself wasn't fun, but that the last year we've seen one major battle content installment, which is kind of lame. It would be nice to get an update for something new to do. The campaigns are about the only thing that keeps a fresh cycle of things to do. Stop kidding yourself.

Everything else people have listed is what we've been doing, 90% of it isn't even high level content level, but the point I was making was they could bring something new to the game. It's been a while. All we've heard is "new battle content is coming" but every update is extremely lackluster. Something new would be good right about now besides the silly 15th campaign and the regular 'spin-the-dial-on-what-to-implement' campaigns.

How did this turn into 'take a break from the game if you're not having fun anymore, go live life'?
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-18 10:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a theory about their timing - didn't stormblood the FFXIV expansion come out around the same time SE stopped giving XI quality updates?

I think the fools are trying to sabotage XI in hopes people will jump ship to XIV, again!

Japan needs to catch up with the rest of the world and become marketing oriented - meet your customers' needs/wants and stop trying to make your customers want what you're selling.

It might be this. It might just be that XI is so low on the list that they just pulled staff from it to help finish Stormblood. I have no idea.
I long, long ago vowed to never buy another SE product... I think it was back when NNI was the thing. I play this because, despite SE, I still like it. Though, I am liking it less and less. I don't even pay for my own subscription and I'll be cancelling if there isn't anything worth the electricity used come November.

I'm not-so-secretly hoping SE falls hard and Disney buys it up. I like the Marvel franchise. I have hope for Star Wars now that Lucas is out of the picture. Final Fantasy could use a company with a brain and a (Kingdom) heart. Some will question the heart piece, but no one can doubt the brainpower of Disney.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-08-18 10:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't following this thread closely but wow. It's amazing how people equate "not having a real life" with "I wish there was a better update or content coming around soon".

I don't even recall saying the game itself wasn't fun, but that the last year we've seen one major battle content installment, which is kind of lame. It would be nice to get an update for something new to do. The campaigns are about the only thing that keeps a fresh cycle of things to do. Stop kidding yourself.

Everything else people have listed is what we've been doing, 90% of it isn't even high level content level, but the point I was making was they could bring something new to the game. It's been a while. All we've heard is "new battle content is coming" but every update is extremely lackluster. Something new would be good right about now besides the silly 15th campaign and the regular 'spin-the-dial-on-what-to-implement' campaigns.

How did this turn into 'take a break from the game if you're not having fun anymore, go live life'?

It turned into all that because with all the massive amounts of content available these days, coupled with monthly updates for the last umpteen months/years, a lot of old-schoolers find it hard pressed to locate any legitimacy with some of the complaints being presented here - especially when compared to life back in 2000's.

Did you even play back then? (curious question).

Granted, I agree that the game should still offer new gear every once in a while, wild new NM's to defeat and the like, but if we're going to be honest here, we only feel this way because we've been conditioned to expect it every single month.

In a way, this is all SE's fault for feeling like they HAD to release content monthly in order to keep active subs on the books. IMO, there are plenty of dedicated players who would still be here doing work even if there weren't updates monthly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-18 10:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing since 2003 on a previous character. I get that there's things to do and its easier to get things done now. Just seems like campaigns are just about the only thing revolving which keeps people engaged. I did like the invention of Omen + Ou. Looking forward to something else now.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-18 10:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
"real life."
rl these days = going out with a bunch of friends and sitting there silently while they all stare at their smartphone screens.

People who were on 5-7 year hiatus from ffxi, coming back and are astonished at how the game has changed.

People who were on 10-15 hiatus from RL, going back out and shocked at how little human interaction there is anymore.
Human interaction is easy. Then hunting them is much more fun too. Real life is fun I should take a hiatus but never have. Going out is fun too.