Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 46 47 48
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-12-07 14:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

$11.99
By Yatenkou 2016-12-07 14:27:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Clarification on the forensic investigation: Stein was the one wanting to conduct a forensic investigation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Well, that's your opinion, and I'm going to call you on it and say it's one clouded by your dislike of his policies. He's been a tremendous figurehead for the nation, he's taken whatever action he can faced with obstruction from a petulant Congress, and he's handled the fallout of that pretty well too.

He's done everything he can to enact what he was elected and re-elected to do.
So basically, what you are saying that it's ok for somebody who, in spite of losing both majorities in both houses of Congress, it's ok to stonewall and then go around the legislative branch of government and legislate by fiat?

Because that's how he governed. He didn't even attempt to talk to opponents of his policies, he flat out stated that he was going to go around them all to push his agenda through, even by illegal means. Which he did. He also stated that this election was about him and his legacy, which the American people pretty much gave him the proverbial finger.

That shows a lot about his leading ability. Of which, in case you haven't realized it yet, is about being so narrowminded and unwilling to compromise that he is a baby in a candy store whose parents told not to take candy, but he ended up doing anyway.

That's how you like your leaders?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-07 14:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
We already had 8 years of NK-sense of misery.

Enough of this already man, seriously.

I don't really know what your problem with Obama is but you take every chance you can to vilify a man who has been, by all accounts, one of the more morally upstanding presidents we've had. Like his policies or not, that's a different issue entirely.

I'm a bit confused here. Either you're delusional enough to think that Trump will actually cause NK-style misery in the U.S., or you're mad at King for using the same hyperbole you did.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-07 14:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Comparing Obama to KJU must be one of the most idiotic things ever posted in this section.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

"Person of the Year" doesn't necessarily mean "Good Person of the Year."

*shrug*

Here's the thing. You can admit that Trump won by appealing to the "ignored" of the country, but that's still roughly 50% of the population, and you still have a pissed off 50% of the population.

Right or wrong or merely different viewpoints all don't really matter, because the division is real regardless and DJT is NOT the kind of person to bring people together on terms that are good for everyone involved.

You would be pissed off no matter who would have won ! Who are you kidding !
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

And you could say the same thing if Hillary would have won. That half the country would be pissed so what was your point again ?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-07 14:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Comparing Obama to KJU must be one of the most idiotic things ever posted in this section.

We've had legitimate and non-ironic Godwins in here just recently and you want to single this one out?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm a bit confused here. Either you're delusional enough to think that Trump will actually cause NK-style misery in the U.S., or you're mad at King for using the same hyperbole you did.

I was jokingly responding to Nik's text, at which point KN started his "we've already had eight years of KN-style treatment" thing.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

He also stated that this election was about him and his legacy

I explained this once to you before and you didn't understand it then, I'm not going to waste time doing it again.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:39:59
Link | Quote | Reply

We've had legitimate and non-ironic Godwins in here just recently and you want to single this one out?

We've had a president-elect who has called for a systemic registration of citizens based upon their religion. That he walked it back later is beside the point.

The comparison is valid, like it or not.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-12-07 14:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We single out CJ everytime he posts so not sure what you're on about.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
And you could say the same thing if Hillary would have won. That half the country would be pissed so what was your point again ?

I feel you've taken that in context of subsequent posts. All I meant about that was Trump is a very valid "Person of the Year."

Hillary would have been had she won as well, as would nearly almost any president elect.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-12-07 14:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that it hasn't only been CJ....

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I truly believe that anyone other than Obama, when elected in 2008 (because let's be realistic, in 2008, any democrat would have been elected based by Bush's high unpopularity), even circa 2008 Clinton, would have made this world a much better place today than what Obama did.

Highly likely we wouldn't be having this civil war in Syria.
Highly likely we wouldn't be having issues with Russia at this degree.
Highly likely Ukraine would still have Crimea.
Highly likely Arab Spring would never have happened.
Highly likely ISIS wouldn't exist.
Highly likely we wouldn't have this "new normal" of GDP "growth" of ~1%.
Highly likely racial tensions across the country wouldn't be so high.

And that's just to name a few issues!
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:42:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question is who reads Time magazine ? That hasn't been a relevant magazine in ages.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That shows a lot about his leading ability. Of which, in case you haven't realized it yet, is about being so narrowminded and unwilling to compromise that he is a baby in a candy store whose parents told not to take candy, but he ended up doing anyway.

Says the guy supporting the party that shut down the government because they didn't get their way.

Just sayin', that door swings both ways. The same defense I made for Obama works for your guys too, don't worry.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-12-07 14:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

We've had a president-elect who has called for a systemic registration of citizens based upon their religion. That he walked it back later is beside the point.

To be fair, the original article that reported made it appear that the context was about immigration.

They still have plans to create a registry for immigrants coming from nations where religious extremist are rampant.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I explained this once to you before and you didn't understand it then, I'm not going to waste time doing it again.
Refresh my memory.

Or are you denying that, in his very words, that he stated that his legacy is on the line?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Look, it IS valid. ***'s sake.

I'm sorry there are people who cry racist every time a cop shoots someone regardless of the context, but Trump actively supports policies that are in line with the Nazi playbook.

I'm not saying all his supporters are racists and bigots. I'm not saying even a majority are. I'm saying 1) some of his suggested proposals are unconstitutional and mirror those of a 20th century Fuhrer and 2) those policies garnered at least some votes for him among unsavory people.
By eliroo 2016-12-07 14:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Refresh my memory.

Or are you denying that, in his very words, that he stated that his legacy is on the line?

I think the legacy of a president is important, I mean look at Nixon.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Says the guy supporting the party that shut down the government because they didn't get their way.

Just sayin', that door swings both ways. The same defense I made for Obama works for your guys too, don't worry.
At least I'm not applauding it.

I'm not the one who's defending such childish behavior in preserving their legacy.
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys need to quit living in the past find a new evil person to compare other people to !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

eliroo said: »

To be fair, the original article that reported made it appear that the context was about immigration.

They still have plans to create a registry for immigrants coming from nations where religious extremist are rampant.

A registry of all people entering from trouble spots around the globe is a reasonable approach.

Registering citizens who are Muslims is not. And he suggested it at least once, implied or directly. And it is also unconstitutional, basically wiping your *** with the first amendment.
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

How about they stay in their own countries. America's full beat it !
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Refresh my memory.

Not repeating everything I typed.

The TL;DR is that you're taking him in a literal, concrete fashion, also potentially slightly out of context. Much like the "you didn't build that" sound byte.

The same thing Trumpers cry that the media does to Trump.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry there are people who cry racist every time a cop shoots someone regardless of the context, but Trump actively supports policies that are in line with the Nazi playbook.

I'm not saying all his supporters are racists and bigots. I'm not saying even a majority are. I'm saying 1) some of his suggested proposals are unconstitutional and mirror those of a 20th century Fuhrer and 2) those policies garnered at least some votes for him among unsavory people.
Man, it's a good thing we have court systems in place to prevent systematically oppressing people like that.

None of the fears you have with Trump will ever come to light, because of the way this country is set up. In order for Hitler to do the things he wanted, he had to first destroy/take over the German parliament. Which he did.

You honestly think that the people of this nation is going to hand over power to one person?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-12-07 14:49:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, it's a good thing we have court systems in place to prevent systematically oppressing people like that.

None of the fears you have with Trump will ever come to light, because of the way this country is set up. In order for Hitler to do the things he wanted, he had to first destroy/take over the German parliament. Which he did.

You honestly think that the people of this nation is going to hand over power to one person?

Only if they take away about 300 million guns !
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-12-07 14:50:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Refresh my memory.

Not repeating everything I typed.

The TL;DR is that you're taking him in a literal, concrete fashion, also potentially slightly out of context. Much like the "you didn't build that" sound byte.

The same thing Trumpers cry that the media does to Trump.
You mean the same thing you did about Trump?

[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-12-07 14:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

The point isn't "will it happen?"

It's extremely unlikely.

The point is the president elect of the US is using Nazi policies to draw voters and it worked.
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 46 47 48