Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 141 142 143
 Bahamut.Snore
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: snore
By Bahamut.Snore 2017-04-05 15:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I think Despair head is the only piece really worth it over Jhakri +2 well and AF1 +3 glove, although if you are creating 4 steps etc 7% SC bonus wins easily. really depends on the playstyle of the RDM, I think RDM's as DD's should be looking to Seq with Almace off-hand and pull solo DD set ups with 3+ supports. On mobs that allow us to 3 step dark and 4 step light into a magic burst(Think solo dding Kei) Where your Cor gives you Macc-STP, Geo-frail/Malaise and entrust macc or mab, brd with attack, acc, and marches to cap, and Sch to weather you and heal. I think it's totally viable for RDMs to 4 step into 50k rads into 60k thunder 5's and double/triple bursting up to 80-90k for solo DD on Kei. Ofc this is only one example and a lot of mobs have different weakness and need less/more support for this style of play but it's more than viable in todays game. Also i agree 3 Crit damage is slightly stronger than other augs on Taeons for melee DDing purposes. Also, i think taeons hands is a must in high and low acc for 5 DW with 6 DW on Carmine legs to allow you to hit DW cap with haste cap when you're /nin and add a 10 DW cape with /Dnc, which imo is the best DD sub you can get on RDM and i totally advise learning to playing with /dnc over /nin as it adds so much damage to your chains and gives you JA haste and ways to support yourself and your team much better. Blink while isn't as good as ninja shadows can play a close enough role with fast cast cap on it.
[+]
By Xehnort 2017-04-09 11:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everybody and thanks for this guide ;)
but i have some difficulties concerning the macros :(
can you tell or show me how looks like your macro ? ( i don't use gearswap )

and for magic potency bonus (10% with empy body for exemple ) is better than magic skill and/or macc ?

thanks for your help ;)

Xehnort a lost rdm
 Asura.Psylo
Server: Asura
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2017-04-09 13:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Xehnort said: »
( i don't use gearswap )
1er erreur ^^

Try to check how gearswap work, its really, reaaaaaally improve your RDM.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-04-09 16:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Gearswap (or ashita equivalent) is going to help you so much on RDM because we don't cast the same spell in the same gear all the time(to put it in the simplest terms)... it depends on the target, if composure is up, other variables... and an add-on like gearswap can make those differentiations for you if you set it up correctly. I know this is common knowledge for those of us who use it, but those not initiated yet may not be aware its more than just fancy macros.

This speeds up your reaction time in group play, and can save people. And it means your spells are always at max effectiveness (esp. buffs). If these aren't reasons enough... it means you can easily use multiple copies of the same piece with different augments. Yes, it's doable without, just more awkward.

Do consider it. It takes some time to set up, but you'll be happier with your play time. And again, for those of us already using it thus post was unnecessary; but it wasn't for us, it was a post to try and convince someone to use the add-on.
[+]
By Yandaime 2017-04-09 20:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you perform well enough on your own without GS then you are meticulous and therefore are easily in the BEST position to use it! When used by the meticulous, GS completely - Hilariously - outperforms the manual methods. I would recommend finding a premade GS file like from Monten or someone else (Google will find you several options) And just change the gears from what's expressed to what you prefer and BAM!! 90% of your Gearswap macros will vanish and you will only have macros for spells and JAs

You'll go from Working the game to actually PLAYING it. Give it a chance :P
 Bahamut.Neb
Server: Bahamut
user: Neb
By Bahamut.Neb 2017-04-10 00:10:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello everybody and thanks for this guide ;)
but i have some difficulties concerning the macros :(
can you tell or show me how looks like your macro ? ( i don't use gearswap )

and for magic potency bonus (10% with empy body for exemple ) is better than magic skill and/or macc ?

thanks for your help ;)

Xehnort a lost rdm

I did some extensive testing in Brenner and Empy body always won for potency but if you are having a tuff time landing having a set with AF+3 body and max Macc is nice as well. As stated above I have a GS toggle for my max acc set and max potency set depending on the target GS will help you a lot.
By Xehnort 2017-04-10 03:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

okay i'll try gearswap ^^
thanks everyone

let's find this rdm file !

i found this one :
https://github.com/ArislanShiva/luas/blob/master/Arislan-RDM.lua
By Yandaime 2017-04-10 04:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

okay i'll try gearswap ^^
thanks everyone

let's find this rdm file !

i found this one :
https://github.com/ArislanShiva/luas/blob/master/Arislan-RDM.lua

You won't regret it. You'll want to learn how to bind your unused F-Keys as toggles so you can easily have different Accuracy Levels/Melee Modes.

You'll also want to keep individual gearset macros for PDT and MDT
Which will look like //Console.GS.Equip.Sets.PDT (I'm reciting from memory my apologies)
And maybe an old-school Movement Gear macro (You can also just keep this in the Idle)

Outside of that, you're good to go.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-04-10 07:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a word of warning: my RDM lua is still a work in progress. For casting, I think it's 90% of the way there. Melee stuff is just rough placeholders for now, tho.
By jopa 2017-04-11 21:26:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Snore said: »
I think Despair head is the only piece really worth it over Jhakri +2 well and AF1 +3 glove, although if you are creating 4 steps etc 7% SC bonus wins easily. really depends on the playstyle of the RDM, I think RDM's as DD's should be looking to Seq with Almace off-hand and pull solo DD set ups with 3+ supports. On mobs that allow us to 3 step dark and 4 step light into a magic burst(Think solo dding Kei) Where your Cor gives you Macc-STP, Geo-frail/Malaise and entrust macc or mab, brd with attack, acc, and marches to cap, and Sch to weather you and heal. I think it's totally viable for RDMs to 4 step into 50k rads into 60k thunder 5's and double/triple bursting up to 80-90k for solo DD on Kei. Ofc this is only one example and a lot of mobs have different weakness and need less/more support for this style of play but it's more than viable in todays game. Also i agree 3 Crit damage is slightly stronger than other augs on Taeons for melee DDing purposes. Also, i think taeons hands is a must in high and low acc for 5 DW with 6 DW on Carmine legs to allow you to hit DW cap with haste cap when you're /nin and add a 10 DW cape with /Dnc, which imo is the best DD sub you can get on RDM and i totally advise learning to playing with /dnc over /nin as it adds so much damage to your chains and gives you JA haste and ways to support yourself and your team much better. Blink while isn't as good as ninja shadows can play a close enough role with fast cast cap on it.
Agreed.
By Boshi 2017-04-12 09:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

your best offhand option for sequence should be Ternion Dagger +1.

/nin over /dnc
Only time to /dnc is for ja proc in omen or for a really lazy sneak/invis
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-04-12 11:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »

/nin over /dnc
Only time to /dnc is for ja proc in omen or for a really lazy sneak/invis

I certainly agree with your sentiment of /nin over /dnc (easier to cap dual wield while preserving more slots for StoreTP,or multi attack, for example),I am quite curious as to the reasons for your first statement. Please back it up; I'd love to agree with you but need some info.
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-04-12 11:51:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ternion beats Blurred +1 OAT?
By Yandaime 2017-04-12 12:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeahh... no way in Frozen Hell Ternion' s beating Almace. If we're Talking Sequence, may as well talk about other RMEAs too and Almace wins for support unless you're attack starved (RDM life) in which case, Excalibur/Mandau become more attractive. If I had to pick a Non-RMEA option, I feel like Colada or Joyeuse 119 would be better candidates than

I'll try to check Spreads later to be sure but I've never gotten good DPS predictions from that dagger
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2017-04-13 08:57:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arislan said: »

Ternion beats Blurred +1 OAT?

What are the benefits of Blurred+1 over Demersal Degen other than accuracy? I can't imagine the OaT is anywhere close and the Haste shouldn't be needed. Demersal is Ternion's biggest competition for low acc offhand. Otherwise Colada, Nibiru, or even Egeking come to mind for non-RMEA offhands before Blurred.
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 09:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If I'm not mistaken, Blurred has 40-50% OAT similar to Demersal and it having it's full Accuracy from Skill would be very helpful against anything that's actually worth fighting, otherwise wht not just use Demersal and be done with it?

Also, I believe Temper II weakens OAx weapons considerably in terms of gains.
It still helps but having 30-33% (can we hit 630 enhancing?) TA by default really skews thingd in the higher Damaged Weapons' favor.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2017-04-13 09:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yandaime said: »
t still helps but having 30-33% (can we hit 630 enhancing?) TA by default really skews thingd in the higher Damaged Weapons' favor.

True. I'd go with Colada or a RMEA weapon in that case. I don't think the benefits of Blurred+1 far exceed those of Demersal, especially with the cost in mind.

If OaT is overshadowed that much by TA, then Ternion is actually quite viable compared to OaT weapons since it only adds more TA. Isn't it the same reason why Murgleis is not as great as it could be because 600+ Temper II makes Almace or Sequence (and possibly even Excal) better in terms of DPS?
By Boshi 2017-04-13 10:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

no way in Frozen Hell Ternion' s beating Almace. If we're Talking Sequence, may as well talk about other RMEAs too and Almace wins for support unless you're attack starved (RDM life) in which case, Excalibur/Mandau become more attractive.
Not sure what you're saying here? This is about what to offhand for Sequence main.
1. If you have both you're using Sequence to do Savage.
so.. if you're arguing these other swords as a mainhand, that defeats the purpose, and the daggers still end up best offhand.

2. If you're argueing them for offhand..
what does "almace wins for support" even mean, it's a good high acc option 2nd to a good colada. Offers nothing for the ws if you're using savage.

3.Excalibur/Mandau attack+60 do not work offhand. Relics 101.

If I'm not mistaken, Blurred has 40-50% OAT similar to Demersal and it having it's full Accuracy from Skill would be very helpful against anything that's actually worth fighting, otherwise wht not just use Demersal and be done with it?
Also, I believe Temper II weakens OAx weapons considerably in terms of gains.
It still helps but having 30-33% (can we hit 630 enhancing?) TA by default really skews thingd in the higher Damaged Weapons' favor.

4. Blurred Dagger+1
(for Arislan: I had originally got a blurred dagger +1 to use for both cor and rdm. thinking it would win for both but rdm temper2 is too strong)

5. Delay. Blurred dagger has a lower delay than demersal.
Rdm has equal sword & dagger skill (barring suppo) and the dagger provides lower delay and the same dmg type (piercing). The acc20 is a bonus.

otherwise wht not just use Demersal and be done with it?
Better is better.

If you're looking to just blindly spam cdc and you have sequence and almace both, then you're better off mainhanding almace with one of the daggers. This isn't blue mage where the difference in delay between swords isn't as large. Rdm has the option to also use the fastest swinging weapon in the game.
By Boshi 2017-04-13 11:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

For comparisons sake:
Demersal+1: dmg110 dly218 skill242 OATS
Blurred+1: dmg93 dly189 acc20 skill242 OATS
Ternion+1: dmg100 dly175 ta+4% acc+27 skill228
Mandau269: dmg124 dly176 skill269

Using Demersal+1 as a base here's the acc/att changes:
(base: Sequence mainhand, composure, gain-dex, no food, in town)

Base: Demersal+1 -with- supponami
main: acc1139 att977
sub: acc1114 att895

Blurred+1
main: acc+20
sub: acc+16 att-5 dmg-17 delay-29

Ternion+1
main: acc+27 ta+4%
sub: acc+10 att-19 dmg-10 delay-43 oats ta+4%

Mandau269
main:
sub: acc+20 att+22 dmg+14 delay-42 oats

Almace269 -with- supponami
main: acc+38
sub: acc+63 att+27 dmg+48 delay+6 oats
&50 towards dDex

~~~~
The real contender is Mandau vs Ternion
ta-4% MainAcc-27 delay+1
for
SubAcc+10 SubAtt+41 SubDmg+24

Edit : all these daggers and demersal also it should be noted fall significantly against mobs strong vs piercing, and are boosted against mobs weak to piercing. Mob's weak to piercing the ideal combo should end up being Mandau main Ternion+1 sub, also you could also use Murgleis main.
In response below: barring acc yea demersal is better than blurred sword+1 which makes that blurred rather weak. The only real purpose I could see for it is a cor offhand against mobs strong vs piercing.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2017-04-13 11:31:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Rdm has equal sword & dagger skill (barring suppo) and the dagger provides lower delay and the same dmg type (piercing). The acc20 is a bonus.

I thought he was talking about Blurred sword lol.
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 12:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

1. If you have both you're using Sequence to do Savage.

Fair enough, I still can't help but think of Ternion as a weak option though...

It's DMG is terrible and it's lower skill will leave it hurting on Acc and Attack. The Acc that's on it will help to counteract but still. It's a race to 1250/2250 TP but White Damage is still a factor.

Almace wins in droves for skill Acc, DEX-Acc (37.5), and dDEX-Crit Rate.

Mandau has skill, DMG, Attack, and OTD.

Colada can get Acc/Atk, STR, STP, WS Damage

Idk, Ternion's case is just too weak to be taken seriously in my eyes. I keep procrastinating on checking it in the spreads but I'd be absolutely floored if Ternion is even competitive. Forgive me, it's just really hard for me to accept a Delce-Era weapon as competitive is all.
By Boshi 2017-04-13 13:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Mandau has skill, DMG, Attack, and OTD.
The "attack+40/60", the Hidden effect deal x2-3 dmg, and the additional effects (poison, hp dmg, paralyze) from the 1h relic weapons don't function at all in the offhand slot. They only work in the the mainhand slot. On top of that they only work on the mainhand itself
(so like the attack+60 buff would only affect the mainhand if mandau is equiped main, the offhand would not gain it)

That being said, Mandau is a very competitive offhand and might be the best depending.

Forgive me, it's just really hard for me to accept a Delce-Era weapon as competitive is all.
It's actually not all that old, only about 1.5year. It came out along with Escha-Zitah. (it's a Unity weapon)
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 15:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The "attack+40/60", the Hidden effect deal x2-3 dmg, and the additional effects (poison, hp dmg, paralyze) from the 1h relic weapons don't function at all in the offhand slot. They only work in the the mainhand slot. On top of that they only work on the mainhand itself
(so like the attack+60 buff would only affect the mainhand if mandau is equiped main, the offhand would not gain it)

I'll admit that I was not aware of the OTD being neutralized if subbed (The only Relic I've made so far has been Bravura)however, it strikes me as very odd that the raw attack from the weapon doesn't apply to both hands??? This is the first I've heard of this. The Attack +60 should apply to both weapons just as the Accuracy +27 from Ternion would in turn.

It should be a viable reason for some jobs to get a MEA and supplement it with Relic just as we made similar use of the Juggernaught Axe when Dual-Wielding back at 75
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2017-04-13 16:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It's probably because of a 75-era mindset that legendaries weren't meant to be dualwielded that the effects are inactive when in the offhand. It is a fact, though.

It's documented, for reference.

Quote:
It should also be noted that for weapon types that can be wielded in the off-hand, any special effects granted from the weapon are ignored. (Things like Magic Damage and the accuracies and attack derived from the Item Level skill are applied as normal.) This includes access to any Weapon Skill that isn't unlocked prior, as well as any hidden effects, Aftermaths, and Afterglows. However, as of March 2017, Empyrean Weapon's large base stat boost and Aeonic Weapon's Store TP are applied when used in the off-hand slot, even though the associated Weapon Skill, Aftermath, and Afterglow is not.
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 16:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
It's probably because of a 75-era mindset that legendaries weren't meant to be dualwielded that the effects are inactive when in the offhand. It is a fact, though.

It's documented, for reference.

Quote:
It should also be noted that for weapon types that can be wielded in the off-hand, any special effects granted from the weapon are ignored. (Things like Magic Damage and the accuracies and attack derived from the Item Level skill are applied as normal.)

Unless I'm reading this wrong, it's only talking about the Weapon's Skill-Level affects which would, of course, be calculated independently. I'm not seeing anything there about Raw Stats such as Attack or Accuracy.

Would anyone with a Single-handed Relic be able to comment and confirm this? One would simply need to Wear a Normal Main-hand and write down your Attack with it and then add the Relic as the Sub. Unless I read that caption incorrectly, you should see a small boost to your attack in the Main Hand.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-04-13 16:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This is something that's been known for a long time. It isn't really up for debate.
[+]
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 16:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
This is something that's been known for a long time. It isn't really up for debate.

Uncalled for.

I encounter quite a few players using Combinations of MEA + Relic at Ambuscades and fights here and there I guess needlessly. Not as "Known" as one might think but I'll be happy to help spread the word.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2017-04-13 16:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Would anyone with a Single-handed Relic be able to comment and confirm this? One would simply need to Wear a Normal Main-hand and write down your Attack with it and then add the Relic as the Sub. Unless I read that caption incorrectly, you should see a small boost to your attack in the Main Hand.

This was illustrated in Boshi's post already. He lists his stat changes for offhanding Mandau and the Atk is not applied to the mainhand.
By Yandaime 2017-04-13 16:43:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rydal said: »

This was illustrated in Boshi's post already. He lists his stat changes for offhanding Mandau and the Atk is not applied to the mainhand.

Oops! So he did. Oversight on my part, sorry about that.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 141 142 143